Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fate Stay Night Board Game idea

後継者 Successor
    JP Friend Code
    PM me...

Fate Stay Night Board Game idea

So many of us have been wondering how we could translate Fate series Holy Grail War mechanics into an RPG. Many have tried, some got something that worked for their DnD campaigns, but no actual functioning ideas for a true Fate Stay Night RPG.

Some time ago, I played a board game called Albion's Legacy (fun game btw, look into it, it's based around the King Arthur Mythos). When I tried turning Fate into an RPG, I kept going back to how Albion's Legacy did a lot of it's mechanics and thought "I could probably come up with a combat System using some similar ideas". Well I did...and then changed it some. I'm hoping to get some feed back, maybe even someone to help me design it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eriko View Post
    e Fate series Holy Grail War mechanics into an RPG.
    The way to hell...

Blog Entries
    That's hell you're walking into.

後継者 Successor
    JP Friend Code
    PM me...
    You might say so but I do have some ideas. But I still need people to bounce ideas off of.

This seems interesting but knowing how the fanbase is...eh

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That wouldn't actually be THAT hard considering FGO gives actual numbers to class skills and stuff now.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    That wouldn't actually be THAT hard considering FGO gives actual numbers to class skills and stuff now.
    actual numbers that make no sense in a lore context
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    actual numbers that make no sense in a board game context
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

As someone working on a Fate game with an interactive battle system, I can confirm this is hell.

i've made a fate/apocrypha chess-like board game on tabletop simulator (originally done on paper, then moved to roll20, and now tts)
    it's kind of a mess though, kind of all over the place and some parts which could be simplified are over-complicated

sorry for posting in a dead thread if we're not allowed to, i'm new but read through the FAQ and didn't see anything about necroposting
    Last edited by NGZE; October 29th, 2017 at 09:47 PM. Reason: missing a word

Blog Entries
    As long as it relates to the thread and isn't just asking people why they aren't posting an update I don't see why you can't necro a thread. If you have content you want to share then go ahead and let's see what you have!

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries

It’s fine except in the fanfiction community, unless you go around necroing things habitually.
    That said, we could stand to do more on the subject.

And it’s nice to see that Milbunk can always be counted on to encourage people with ambitious goals.

Anyway, if you want some assistance with anything, let me know how I can help. If it’s something I can do, I’ll get right to it.
    Last edited by Draconic; October 30th, 2017 at 07:55 PM.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

thanks for the reply. the game i made isn't really like an RPG or DnD campaign, but more like a chess game. it's basically chess, but replace the pieces with Servants & Masters. but they all have stats like health and luck and whatever. i tried to include as much features of an actual grail war as possible such as using command spells and making Masters more important by making their servant disappear if they are killed, but because of that probably put in too much. it's actually quite complete already, now i just keep adding new random events whenever i can think of a new one to add

Fate/Arcadia Knight

Sorry for the necro, but the idea was simply too good to pass:
    After playing around with several boardgames here's one with
    a simple system, yet good potential

Arcadia Quest!

Not only are the rules simple, but the dice rolling involved always
    provides much entertainment (& despair).

Sample Scenario:
    The Grail System has gone haywire, AGAIN. Lead your team of 3 plucky
    Servants to victory! Apocrypha with 2 factions and 14 Servants was too
    hectic? How about up to 4 factions and 12 Servants?
    --
    The corrupted Grail has spawned dragon bone warriors, shadow servants,
    and threatens the city. Protect the city, gather experience & get to the grail!

Use powerful Servants like:
    Saber

Grab EXP to purchase powerful equipment like
    Equipment

So grab your friend with a 3D printer! Grab your other friend with a colour laser printer!

/turns of ad.

Links:
    How to play Arcadia Quest
    Arcadia Quest Card Creator

Images taken from TYPE-MOON wiki.
    All rights belong to their respective Knights of Owners.
    Last edited by ylas; December 5th, 2017 at 09:25 AM.

well, i think i'm going to start on an advanced version of my game, the real question is is it really worth the time and effort to write up custom and working stats and skills for 170~ish servants

Blog Entries
    You dont necessarily need all of them to start, just pick a few from each class.

ha, well yeah. But it's not like i have to do it all in one go. I can just do a few at a time and update the file as it goes

but for now i have to fix the rulebook. again. before i start on that. at least google docs works better than i thought it would

i've finally started on the advanced version. going to start with the seven stay night servants, then do the rest in alphabetical order. completed 2 for now, i would continue but it's 4am, so later today it is

also, i realized i never actually shown any proof that i'm actually doing this, so here: ****************************drive/folde...Ull-6SDgC9I_E9

後継者 Successor
    JP Friend Code
    PM me...
    Glad people have beencoming up with ideas. I abandoned this thread when I couldn't sell the idea. I wasn't willing to post things until someone actually said they were interested...and now the ideas are lost on my old computer...which I don't have right now.

Proto (Ita)

Spoiler:

* Cough Cough Bad English mode *

Current Turn: Archer attacks Lancelot (Caladbolg II, Range 10, Atk 30). Action Point cost is 40 BUT drops to 20 thanks to UBW. Now Archer has 0 Action Points (reload next turn)

Next Turn: now Lancelot has a Caladbolg II Card (Special Ability: Knight of Owner)

Meanwhile there're two monsters with Special Ability (-2 mobility all), Archer can use again Caladbolg II (1 time per turn, -20 AP), or Lancelot can use Caladbolg II (1 times, -40 AP and maybe another attack with 10 AP)
    Last edited by Tarlo Viola; March 15th, 2018 at 10:25 AM.