Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 381112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: TV General Thread

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Is it good? Haven't watched it yet.

Starting with ep 10 I'm more and more emotionally traumatized with each episode, which is exactly the kind of shit I'm here for.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Interesting! I want to watch some of the Classic Trek movies first before moving on to Discovery.
    I'd have done it by now, except I was sidetracked by "Doctor Who"...

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad there's finally some discussion about this show. I tried to bring it up a while ago but the thread seemed practically dead.

Spoiler:
    I've been enjoying the show so far, but cramming in two massive twists in the span of two episodes is a bit much. Both Ash being Voq in disguise and Lorca being from the Mirror Universe are perfectly fine twists in their own right, but when they're squeezed together like that it just feels silly.

Relatedly, did anyone feel Discovery's crew handled the reveal of Lorca's identity way too calmly? They find out the guy who's been their captain for god knows how long has been stringing them along the entire time, and they practically shrug and say "okay, now what?". I understand they didn't have time to sit around and cry, but more of an emotional reaction would've been nice.

Even Michael, who clearly looked up to Lorca, barely shows any reaction to his betrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    I'm glad there's finally some discussion about this show. I tried to bring it up a while ago but the thread seemed practically dead.

Spoiler:
    I've been enjoying the show so far, but cramming in two massive twists in the span of two episodes is a bit much. Both Ash being Voq in disguise and Lorca being from the Mirror Universe are perfectly fine twists in their own right, but when they're squeezed together like that it just feels silly.

Relatedly, did anyone feel Discovery's crew handled the reveal of Lorca's identity way too calmly? They find out the guy who's been their captain for god knows how long has been stringing them along the entire time, and they practically shrug and say "okay, now what do we do next?". I understand they didn't have time to sit around and cry, but more of an emotional reaction would've been nice.

Even Michael, who clearly looked up to Lorca, barely shows any reaction to his betrayal.
    Spoiler:
    [The hints for Tyler being Voq have been dropped around for quite a while, I remember people coming out with that theory as soon as Tyler himself appeared onscreen. Things happening is better than things not happening, especially since Discovery won't have like a hundred episodes, half of which is filler. I'm fine with them kicking it into 11.

Idk about the reveal, I hope the implications will be further explored now that they're out of the very very nasty situation they were in. Unlike most of the other crews in the series, they're trained for and used to war, and coupled with regular shroom trips being part of their work schedule I imagine they'd be much more prepared for something like that than what we're used to, plus I don't think most of them really liked Lorca on a human level.

As for Michael, she was raised as a vulcan, and probably has methods along those lines of dealing with emotional trauma and focusing on the mission.]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Spoiler:
    [The hints for Tyler being Voq have been dropped around for quite a while, I remember people coming out with that theory as soon as Tyler himself appeared onscreen. Things happening is better than things not happening, especially since Discovery won't have like a hundred episodes, half of which is filler. I'm fine with them kicking it into 11.

Idk about the reveal, I hope the implications will be further explored now that they're out of the very very nasty situation they were in. Unlike most of the other crews in the series, they're trained for and used to war, and coupled with regular shroom trips being part of their work schedule I imagine they'd be much more prepared for something like that than what we're used to, plus I don't think most of them really liked Lorca on a human level.

As for Michael, she was raised as a vulcan, and probably has methods along those lines of dealing with emotional trauma and focusing on the mission.]
    Spoiler:
    I know the hints were there since the beginning. The writers even tried to obfuscate it by casting a fake actor (actually Shazad Latif under a pseudonym) to play Voq.

Blog Entries
    Spoiler:
    Does anyone think Lorca's reveal could've been far more interesting if he was more of a well-intentioned extremist-type villain rather then a card-carrying Fascist like the other Terrans? Wanting to actually reform the Empire for the better, but willing to act ruthless and evil to do so. Then Michael could've felt genuinely conflicted about accepting his offer to join sides, only to reject him when she finds out how far he's willing to go for his ideals.

I feel the show kind of wasted the potential of villain!Lorca by making him a generic ambitious megalomaniac, rather then a complex and flawed man who really believes in his ideals but is willing to take questionable (or even outright evil) methods to achieve them like he was portrayed in the first half of the season. That could've been a chance to truly test Michael's commitment to Federation ideals against Lorca's brand of ruthless pragmatism.

Of course, that might require making the Terran Empire a bit more morally ambiguous too, as opposed to so disgustingly evil that you'd probably support someone who killed babies so long as they opposed it.

don't look at the ears Marmadillo's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    501086179/marmadillo
    Blog Entries
    The Klingon redesign sucks and for a show called Discovery it has had, what, one episode with actual exploration?

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    They never changed the name from back when it was still supposed to be an anthology series.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

And for a show called Deep Space 9 the station didn't go into any deep spaces 9, it just stood in place, huh???

- - - Updated - - -

Iirc the klingon design is how they were originally supposed to look like but funds and technical possibilities weren't allowing. That could be mad bullshit though, I didn't factcheck it myself just heard it.

Blog Entries
    Tbh who cares they already changed it and if you want them to be scary villains the familiar "oh I know these guys" association of them as a not-really-antagonistic force for all these years kinda fucks with your perception as a viewer.

If I had a bone to pick with the show it wouldn't be that but more that it's Serious War Drama Show that so far didn't really have a whole lot of genuinely optimistic feeling moments, like a DS9 done by someone who doesn't think the idea behind the Star Trek Ethos is flawed in its simplicity but more just dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

it kinda did exactly what i feared it would do p much

Not trying to say you're wrong, but Pahvo was kinda that, at least to me.

Spoiler:
    [and I think a bit of it is embodied by Stamets. His dedication and genuine love for his work has that oldtimey ST pioneering feel to it, in my hoe.]

- - - Updated - - -

Oh you said 'a lot'. Well, definitely not a lot of them, yeah.

Blog Entries
    So far I am not filled with fanboy rage to the point of quitting or anything and I'm curious to see where it goes. Most Trek shows need a bit to hit their stride and I'm not bored.

I'm just saying once Section 31 rolls in and is Badass HSLD Operators that Do What Is Necessary I'm out of here.

Some character insight for the name-only bridge crew would be nice.

don't look at the ears Marmadillo's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    501086179/marmadillo
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Iirc the klingon design is how they were originally supposed to look like but funds and technical possibilities weren't allowing. That could be mad bullshit though, I didn't factcheck it myself just heard it.
    No, the only explanation they gave was 'w-well, their design has never been consistent so why can't we change it again'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    Tbh who cares they already changed it and if you want them to be scary villains the familiar "oh I know these guys" association of them as a not-really-antagonistic force for all these years kinda fucks with your perception as a viewer.
    Playing with the perception would imo be more interesting than just a random redesign to generic evil-looking aliens.

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    just finished binging 4th season of black mirror

Spoiler:

USS Callister was ok, i guess? Some of the things that happened i felt a little bit too convenient, or slightly dumb in retrospect, and I do wish they explored more on the reality side as opposed to the virtual guys. Also, the guy maybe a sicko, but i cant help but to slightly root for him. Like, I actually root Daly more than the virtual crew, because #relatable lol. COuldve been a better episode, but i'll take it. THe ending is also slightly forced "happy ending". I had hoped it went And I Must Scream direction.
    Arkangel gives me mixed feeling. I know the ending was supposed to be the product of the mother's monitoring and overprotectiveness, not to mention the numbing of apathy at her early age, but it felt slightly unrealistic for me to, uh, beat your own mother and doesnt stop because of mosaic. Explainable, foreshadowed, but doesnt really convince me anyways.
    Crocodile was uh dumb. Realistic in how panicked and backed to thewall people would do, but still dumb. Like if she keeps her face covered the whole time she wouldnt really get caught. Also the whole technology sthick felt disconnected to the story in this episode for some reaosn. Also why crocodile as title
    Hang the DJ is the surprise one, because the twist is off the one I predicted. I initially thought its some sort of simulation of testing true love, pass a number of times and you got reward bla bla bla. The ending revealing that the whole thing is indeed a simulation.... of a dating app is a bit of a kick in the gut though. i was like yaaay an epiosde with a happy end----wait wut. I guess it counts as happy ending...? But it's still a gut punch for it be a dating app simulation. Kinda takes off the edge of 2 couple rebelling against the system in the name of true love 998 out of 1000 times.
    Metalhead is just wut. Just wut. It was boring, and what the hell its supposed to be an analogue for.
    Black Museum is enjoyable. From start to finish I enjoyed it, and the bad guy is a p good narrator of sorts. it also build up nicely to the grand reveal of sorts, with proper hints that are enough to make me go "ohhhh" right before the reveal itself but not too much or too fast that I guessed it rightaway. Also it gives the trashy-revenge-B-grade-movie sorts of vibe, which im kinda a sucker for.

Still, none of this is a real WOW episode, at least in comparison of some of the best episodes of past seasons. I guess Nationhate is really hard to top.
    Last edited by castor212; February 8th, 2018 at 01:24 PM.
    I haz a patreon please support onegai
    Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Spoiler:
    Apparently, according to certain "intellectuals", like rooting for Rick in Rick and Morty, rooting for Daly in USS Callister means that you don't "get it" or aren't "thinking critically". As for myself, I can't relate, but not for reasons most are thinking of, as I would almost immediately throw away the mask of a "captain of justice" and get in the proverbial bed with the Dark Brotherhood (playable in most ES games) or the LDO (they get the spotlight in most Dies Irae spin-offs). Now that I think about it, given that both organizations have their respective legal lolis, the bed might be more than proverbial... As for deification, I would like to think that my heart is not as black as Nyarlathotep's (Eiyuu Senki), but I would definitely be at least Sheogorath (Elder Scrolls).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Spoiler:
    Apparently, according to certain "intellectuals", like rooting for Rick in Rick and Morty, rooting for Daly in USS Callister means that you don't "get it" or aren't "thinking critically". As for myself, I can't relate, but not for reasons most are thinking of, as I would almost immediately throw away the mask of a "captain of justice" and get in the proverbial bed with the Dark Brotherhood (playable in most ES games) or the LDO (they get the spotlight in most Dies Irae spin-offs). Now that I think about it, given that both organizations have their respective legal lolis, the bed might be more than proverbial... As for deification, I would like to think that my heart is not as black as Nyarlathotep's (Eiyuu Senki), but I would definitely be at least Sheogorath (Elder Scrolls).
    If you're rooting for someone (actually rooting for them, not just finding them a fun or entertaining villain) who imprisons multiple people to psychologically and physically torture out of petty spite, then I can only hope you really don't "get it", because the only alternative is being a capital-P psychopath.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ... Which character were you referring to with that line? I think that everyone whom I just listed have either tortured or associated with torturers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    ... Which character were you referring to with that line? I think that everyone whom I just listed have either tortured or associated with torturers.
    Spoiler:
    Daly.