Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: TV General Thread

Blog Entries
    I like Person of Interest.

yeah it's like 7 years old so what don't judge me
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    wow legion was awesome

very very different than the usual superhero theme
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    I like Person of Interest.

yeah it's like 7 years old so what don't judge me
    well its fucking amazing so

Blog Entries
    i feel like the ending of Legion is kinda a dick move

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So I was watching the DVD commentaries of Sherlock seasons 1 & 2, y'know when the show was still good.

The banter between Cumberbatch, Freeman and Gatiss is hilarious. Also learning that Lara Pulver was actually naked during that scene was like woah... :O

Blog Entries
    Iron Fist

is bad

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anyone planning on watching the new Star Trek premier tonight?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Possibly.

Blog Entries
    No

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm gonna watch it with my sister via voicechat.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

don't look at the ears Marmadillo's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    501086179/marmadillo
    Blog Entries
    no, i'll torrent it later

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmadillo View Post
    no, i'll torrent it later
    Banned, pirate scum.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Someone placate my nostalgia, please. Which version of live action TMNT had a season where the villains were apparently Asian vampires, one of whom made a pun about "taking a bite" out of the Big Apple?

Blog Entries
    Reposted from Random Thoughts on Zurvan's advice.

Anyone been watching season 2 of BBC's Dirk Gently? It's a really cool and wild detective series with lots of quirky characters and crazy twists.

I watched Dirk Gently season 1, it's kinda cool. I should find uk vogueplay app for iphone and make several bets. Soon I'll have to find an infomative article. My very good friend has high hopes. Me too.
    Last edited by Jack Byrne; November 15th, 2017 at 02:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Byrne View Post
    I watched Dirk Gently season 1, it's kinda cool.
    One thing's for sure; the second season is even wilder then the first!

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Someone placate my nostalgia, please. Which version of live action TMNT had a season where the villains were apparently Asian vampires, one of whom made a pun about "taking a bite" out of the Big Apple?
    egad. Trauma.

Try looking up 'The Next Mutation'
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Watched the first two episodes of the new season of Black Mirror. General thoughts: it feels really awkward, because it (thus far) continues the form of previous episodes, but it feels as though the content was haphazardly dashed together. Where it does break the form, as was set as precedent in some episodes of season three ("Nosedive" and "San Junipero" come most immediately to mind) it doesn't even tell a very good story; it's caught between engaging narrative television and Twilight Zone morality tale form and fails to achieve much in either direction. I'll watch the rest of the season, obviously, because there's always the chance that some of the rest of the four episodes will strike right - though even then, while being good it would simultaneously highlight the contrasting lack of other episodes.

Spoiler thoughts, now:

Ep 1

Praise before criticism: I like the Trek aesthetic, it's cool, and I feel - and this is something I'll come back to several times in writing this - that it had a lot of genuine potential had it gone a different way. The framework is great, but what's done with those technological and social aspects falls short. Especially towards the end, it arrives more at the level of rather indulgent standard television compared to the series' typical morality tale ideal. To me, an episode of Black Mirror should have a moral message relating to technology and society: that's the reason for the title, and what it started with, thematically.

"USS Callister" could have been both incredibly unnerving and incredibly relevant: you have a repressed, un-social man in a position of power, and he uses it to (in his fantasy) abuse his co-workers, with a particularly predatory interest in women. This is 2017, and we have a story about a man in a position of power abusing it in a clearly toxic workplace for his own gains while the truth is concealed. Does that seem at all familiar? Do you think maybe this episode could have delved into that? Apparently not, because it ends up being some kind of pseudo-nightmare about the weirdness of someone abusing a digital copy of you, and focusing on those digital copies and thus emphasizing the detachment from reality. The impact on real people - and for what the episode tries to make them "real," it in no way links the digital clones to their real-life counterparts - is simply ignored. A question can be asked of all Black Mirror episodes: why is this relevant? For most you can state its relevance quite easily, because the nature of morality tale storytelling requires that the moral/ethical message is fairly obvious, otherwise it loses potency and relevance.

"USS Callister" presents a fairly typical story: what if a nerd turned real people he disliked/desired into digital puppets for his fantasies? Then, in Black Mirror style, it gives the techno-social twist that these digital creations are fully self-aware and horrified at their predicament. They rebel against their creator/overlord and acquire their freedom, seemingly trapping their ex-tyrant to his righteous fate of being trapped forever in his own creation.

Firstly: what is the moral message of this Black Mirror fable? Is it that immersion in virtual reality will distort our view of actual reality? That was the plot to "Playtest" of last season, which succeeded not only in its clever twist ending, but also embodied the feeling of existential terror as one, immersed in virtual/augmented reality, fails to recognise what is real or fake anymore. It, like the best Black Mirror episodes, taps into our paranoia and engages it, exaggerating it but enough to make the point clear, and through theme, tone, and narrative, convinces the viewer of its moral message: irresponsibility with virtual reality is thoroughly dangerous; also, turn your bloody cellphone off when you're asked to, you reprobate.

In "USS Callister" there is a clear villain, a clear protagonist, and a clear struggle of person vs. person. Technology - and I'll note that this is probably the first episode of Black Mirror to so thoroughly explain the episode's tech - is, in this case, not part of the conflict. It is not a target of the conflict, and arguably it's not even an augmentation of the conflict: the episode can be summed up, in entirely contemporary analogue, to a repressed guy replicating himself and his co-workers as Sims and abusing them. That's not something that takes cutting-edge technology; I could do that messed up stuff exactly right now, the chief difference being I can be reasonably sure my digital "clones" won't try to kill me. This banality of technology - or perhaps an over-reliance on technology as narrative device - is something that I'll reference again in my review of the second episode of this season, because it's very relevant there, too.

This could have been a very good episode either about the broad dissociation caused by easily-available virtual reality, as an expansion to last season's "Playtest," or it could have been an examination of how near-future technology could exacerbate contemporary issues of toxic workplaces and relationships. Instead, it tells an almost comic, pseudo-horror story about a group of virtual prisoners who launch a daring escape attempt and succeed. There's no moral message to glean from this. The death/virtual imprisonment of Daly at the end offers no message in itself either, and is more indulgence of a victor-and-vanquished narrative that Black Mirror hasn't typically engaged with. Previous episodes have tended towards a look at broad social effects: this episode deals with a single, isolated incident centred around one person, which in all likelihood will not be repeated due to the explicitly mentioned particulars of Daly's creation. What does this episode say about society? What does it say about technology? What does it say about the interplay of each in the contemporary Western world?

Nothing. There's no moral message to the viewer from "USS Callister," other than to maybe watch where you leave your rubbish around the office. Instead, you get a relatively uplifting story of digital people who find freedom. These digital people are not us; they do not reflect us; their situation is entirely unique to them. In fact, most damningly, we don't actually see any of the fallout from the end of Daly's virtual reality prison: part of it is left to nothing, as the real life people don't and can't know what happened to their counterparts, and part of it is the lack of any reaction from anyone else. Does Cole tell anyone? Does anyone believe her? What happens to the company? Even as a narrative, completely ignoring it being Black Mirror, this is a poorly written short story. Despite being a fairly lengthy 73 minutes, there's little resolution and zero moral message.

Impressively disappointing Black Mirror episode; barely acceptable episode of anything else.

Now I'm realizing how late it is after I wrote that, so... I'll type up my thoughts on episode 2 tomorrow. I'm really interest in hearing what other people thought of episode 1, though.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

So, Star Trek: Discovery

[PTERODACTYL SCREAMING]