5 16.13%
  • Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex

12 38.71%
  • Mushishi

15 48.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1722252627

Thread: BL's Backloggers Anonymous, help and support club

Thanks for the wait guys. I'll write more on Lain later since I finished it today.

Starting with GITS on Monday?

Blog Entries
    oh, is it GitS time already?

FUCK YEAH

TIME TO EFFORTPOST
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Blog Entries
    Have you been following along with the others or were you just waiting for GiTS?

Ginger Magus
    I'll join in as well, starting with GitS. I've seen the movies, but that was such a long time ago that I barely remember anything.

Besides, the series is supposed to be different and I've meaning to get to it forever.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You guys talking about Lain made me play the PS game (cause I realized "hey I can do that now") and now I want to kill myself John

Oh yeah I said I'd write more on Lain.

Spoiler:
    This show was weird, but not in a way SKU or NGE are. Here I got the feeling that everything is told straight the whole time and the show doesn't make a move to lie to you or deceive you, and it's just spoken in a way and on a level that's just hard to get for us. I quite appreciated it, since it's hones in its own way and doesn't befuddle for befuddlement's sake.

The animation, as I've said before, not something I'd usually like, but it worked perfectly for Lain and had consistent quality throughout. The expressions of the characters were sometimes (purposely?) chilling and grotesque, doses of minimalism were used to great effect, and bumps in animation didn't feel out of place. I liked how the meaning of the constant wire shots was explained in the last few episodes.

I kinda get the overarching plot (historical info dump episode cleared a lot of it up nicely), but I can only speculate how certain plot points and details connect to it all, and I'm completely dumbfounded on the rest.

Accela, for one - was it just one of the advanced connection devices, like the first one Lain gets from the Knights. Or does it play into the whole mushroom samba instrumentality thing John C. Lilly tried to do.

KIDS - did this experiment make Lain or something? If not, what did it result with? Does it even have anything to do with the central plot or is it just there to demonstrate Lain's growing power and involvement?

That crystal maiden thing that appeared in Mika's place in her episode??? The whole Mika episode in fact???

Not entirely clear on Chisa's role either. I mean she did somehow discover the god of the Wired, but how? And why did she kill herself? Escape from a shitty life, a trigger for Lain's development, or whatever? Maybe she realized something about Lain when they walked home together which made her realize the true nature of the world and become the instrument of Lain's 'awakening'. Was she entirely the creation of 'god'?

Questions, questions, questions...

What is life? What is net? Who is phone?

don't look at the ears Marmadillo's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    501086179/marmadillo
    Blog Entries
    I'll finish Lain later today and give some final thoughts. I'll probably (try to) watch GitS as well, but I doubt I'll comment much about it.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So I started GITS:SAC...first two episodes.

All I got to say is..."A walking tank...Metal Gear!?"

Spoiler:
    From the first two episodes I can see a clear division in ideology between those for cybernetics and those against. Sector 9 obviously uses them but we seem to have the ex-cop dude who doesn't have them. We have that culprit dude from the first episode who burnt out some of his memories, I feel like that'll be an important plot thread. That dude from the second episode who blamed his parents gets little sympathy from me.

I'll probably finish Lain by the weekend.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Ginger Magus
    I watched two episodes of GitS as well.

Spoiler:
    I'm surprised by how well the animation is holding up. It looks like a show that could be in the air right now.

So far, the only thing that's been bothering me is the major. In the movies, she looked like a badass. In the series, she has no pants on. No matter what she's going to do in the future, I just can't take her seriously with that ridiculous outfit.

Blog Entries
    Spoiler:
    Episode 1 is a good introduction to the characters and setting. Despite that I vastly prefer episode 2. I like the entire setup and execution of the second episode better. It also contains one of my favorite songs on the soundtrack. This show might have my favorite Yoko Kanno score. I also seem to have more sympathy for him than Skull does.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    AERIA GLORIS!
    Damn that OP is a little trippy. Anyway, onto episodes 3 & 4...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Love?
    Spoiler:
    (3) Hmm, loving the banter between Batou and Togusa. The suicide at the beginning reminded me of Rakkyo episode 1. The Major with her stealth camo doing work. Amusing that both the human and the android were quoting from the film most of the time. Good to know even cyborgs can drink booze.

(4) Looks like we might have our first arc. Big Brother amongst the police. Togusa doing his detective thang, maybe because I saw something incredibly similar recently but I quickly worked out the "no camera" oddity. I wonder what the police would do if this technology was made in real life?

Also that ED.
    "She's just Math"
    Lolwut?
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Blog Entries
    had work yesterday, no time to be real

BUT NOW IS THAT TIME

it's time for GitS:SAC, a series that has been very close to my heart for a long time now and that I've seen many times and know inside and out, probably contradicting the stated purpose of this thread but whatever

so, let's begin

Episode 1

I hope you fuckers like this jarring 3D OP animation with ultra-shiny tachikomas and Motoko the barbie-crusher, because you're gonna have to get used to it. Still, those opening shots of the city with the first bars of Inner Universe were a fucking trip back in the day. I remember the first time I saw it; got the DVD out from an actual real-life video shop many years ago. It's at about the moment you see the VTOL take off, when the music peaks momentarily, that you know shit's going to be rad.

Ah, yes, the opening text. "It is a time when..." I used to be able to quote that from memory. It's not the most transparent establishing brief, but SAC isn't the most transparent show.

Now we have one of those classic GitS shots: Motoko standing on a rooftop, looking over the city. Keep an eye out for this, because it gets repeated in various forms throughout SAC and 2nd Gig. A metaphor for technology elevating her to something that is more than an ordinary human.

Dreads guy w/Adam Jensen glasses - you hear Stamina Rose start playing behind you? Yeah, you're getting FUCKED

Cyborg ankle gorn. Cyborg gorn is a big thing in this series, and you'll see a fair amount more of it as you go on - why, there's some good headshots in this episode, even. Much later, in S2, there's a particularly memorable example that happens at [REDACTED] when the [REDACTED] finally [REDACTED] [REDACTED], saving [REDACTED] from his [REDACTED] and his fashion sense.

Aramaki's here to stop an inter-departmental squabble. Him playing politics is always entertaining. His friend Kubota - brown suit, glasses - will turn up again with a fair amount of regularity.

Wired telepathy. A secure 'hard line' between brains. That's one of those incidental/casual uses of cyber technology - people 'reading' barcodes directly is another - which SAC does really well as a vehicle for subtle world-building.

The nearest thing to a cyberpunk cop procedural (inasmuch as SAC is one at all) in more recent anime is, naturally, Psycho-Pass. Same animators, even. But you only need to watch this episode to get a grip on how different the two are in intent and execution. The hostage situation we get dropped into here is so much more nuanced and dare-I-say-it realistic than anything PP ever managed. Obviously the geisha-bots and brain-swapping-for-fetish-value parts aren't realistic, but I'm speaking in terms of the low-level grit (the hostages being ministerial personnel, the backroom dealing, the military/police squabbling) that PP elided in favour of a glossy, ideas-first approach. In point of fact, what makes SAC so great as cyberpunk is the fact that its setting is not a dystopia, nor a thought experiment writ large - it's a world recognisably quite similar to our world, twisted around a high-tech axis.

RUN RABBIT JUNK AWW YEAH that's the song that tells you it's time for a montage showing all the S9 members doing what they do best

to all those who take issue with Motoko's casual attire - the, uh, leotard - try to bear with it. It stays that way for much of the season. Fortunately, her combat outfit and military dress outfit (you'll see it soon) are much better, and she gets a far less cringeworthy wardrobe in 2nd Gig.

Aramaki's all about the letter-numbers in this episode - A2 loadout, B6 protocols...he never really does it again, interestingly.

"I think he broke." - Epcar's Batou is a fucking treasure, and he's one of the many reasons this is one of the rare few dub > sub anime

Note the closeup on the Minister's eye at the airport. "Directed by K. K." Clever.

Whenever someone says 'micromachines' in this show, read 'nanomachines'. This was written before the latter term became popular, but it's what they mean.

"Lithium Flower" is probably my favourite out of SAC endings, though there are only two to choose from.

Aaand now the Tachikomas are having a discussion about the philosophy of language

I LOVE THIS SHOW
    Last edited by Dullahan; December 22nd, 2015 at 11:51 PM.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Blog Entries
    oh wait i wasn't ready

- - - Updated - - -

this is a race right?

- - - Updated - - -

and jesus dully calm down

Blog Entries
    He's here to make us all feel inadequate in our ability to effortpost.

don't look at the ears Marmadillo's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    501086179/marmadillo
    Blog Entries
    I wanted to write my final thoughts on Lain, but I've already half forgotten them. I can say that I was happy that Lain didn't turn out to be a didactic piece about the dangers of modern technology. I still think it is partially a commentary about the Lost Decade or at least inspired by it, because of the gloomy way civilization is depicted. If I didn't know better I would probably also call it an Eva ripoff, it does clearly come from similar ideas although it's much more focused on communication than eva.
    Because of the unconventional way narrative is presented it's hard for me to actually tell what the main point of Lain was. From one side the show is set to explore the Wired as a kind of a layer to reality that seemingly threatens to overtake the rest presenting a question if the "physical" reality is more important than the informational field that is Wired. In this part Lain is a messenger of this reality, who still denies it to have any real transcendent qualities in the end. A great effort is put in to flesh it out both by presenting it's origins and the impact it has on modern life. From the other side I also see Lain as a rather simple story (told in a complicated way) about an introvert girl creating alternate personalities to deal with loneliness since considerable time is given to portray how she lives irl and how she interacts with her family and other acquaintances and the ending is more about that as well.
    Last edited by Marmadillo; December 28th, 2015 at 08:07 AM.