Thread: Fluxx Wants to be an Artist Someday

Fluxx Wants to be an Artist Someday

Want improve, posting fanart here...Whenever.
    We gonna make it fam.
    Enjoy.

Not the most modest pose for Sakura but...

Saber- Little rushed. The face was irritating me.

Hope to get into color and inking soon. Sketch work too chicken scratchy, need to practice.
    Last edited by Fluxx; November 17th, 2015 at 09:02 PM.

...That is the weirdest pose.
    Hamburgers.
    (I have a tendency of not finishing things I've started.)
    I hang out alot at my own Discord server, though there isn't really much activity in there. The Art Haus Chatterbox! Accepting commissions. Do you want some art done, and do you want it done for cheap? PM me, man, and we can talk. Currently not taking any commissions, sorry!

It really is. By the time I realized Sakura would never sit like that it was too late.

Ah yes, welcome to the wonderful world of improving at art. It can be frustrating and challenging but the feeling of getting better is one of the best feelings in the world.
    ---
    First, you really should practice gesture drawing or gesture sketching. Work on getting a better understanding of the shapes that form human bodies and how they curve and form poses. I personally am still trying to get better at this as most of my poses are busts. Use reference! The Sakura picture looks strange moreso of the proportions and anatomy more than the pose itself though it is sort of a strange pose.

http://sakimichan.deviantart.com/art...uide-193992722

^ This is probably one of my favorite simpler tutorials that give a better visual idea of what I mean. Learn how to put those shapes together to form human like poses and then when you are comfortable start applying human form to them. Human anatomy and proportions are challenging to figure out but it's really rewarding to do so because human anatomy and proportions will be the foundation of your artwork so you want to make sure that foundation is solid!

Second picture with Saber is good! You already have a good grasp on the basics of human facial proportions but there are definitely rooms for improvement! You seem to be falling into the common trap of trying to replicate an art style (in this case anime/type-moon/takeuchi) while having a shaky foundation of facial proportions. Do similar studies and exercises of learning the very basic proportions of a human face. Once you've gained a good foundation in facial proportions you can tackle any art style and even make your own. All art styles are just balanced exaggerations and tweaks to the general facial structure. Even though an anime art style has the signature big eyes and small nose/mouth, these features are still balanced proportionately with the rest of the face. If they didn't it would come off as strange or odd.

On the left is a sort of rushed photoshop edit of your Saber drawing. I tried to edit it lightly so it can be more accurate to facial proportions. I shrunk the eyes just slightly and spaced them out more since they were a bit big. I placed the nose and mouth closer together and moved them up. In general, the features are more closer together than spaced out. This was a problem I struggled with, where I'd draw the features and space them out too far to make "long" faces. Your drawing doesn't really suffer from this but it feels better with the mouth raised a bit higher and more centered.

A good rule of thumb about spacing and proportions is in regards to a resting face, the ends of the mouth should mark up to the center of the eye, or the pupils. Your original drawing followed this but by shrinking the eyes down I had to re-center the mouth.

In regards to the pupils I also made them focus a bit more inward. This is a tough balance. Having the pupils a little more inward or "cross-eyed" can give the impression of the person focusing on something. Go to far though and they'll look cross eyed. Keep them too spaced out and outward and they'll look sort of zoned out.

I also warped the cheeks a bit. Generally you want the "curve" of the face cheeks to occur before or directly at the nose. If it occurs past the nose it gives the weird impression of droopy cheeks. It's more of a style preference for me but I generally keep the cheek curve higher than where the nose ends which is what I did in my edit. Likewise, I also scaled the head vertically and horizontally to be a little less stretched out.

Keep up the art and practice, practice! Never get discouraged, always look to improve!
    Last edited by RossC90; November 21st, 2015 at 08:10 AM.

Blog Entries
    Yep, practice! Until you get to be a demon like Kekai Kotaki!

Quote Originally Posted by RossC90 View Post
    -huge snip-
    Just gotta point out here, as a disclaimer- generally, when you take tips from someone else, make sure you don't accidentally copy their artstyle.

Case in point, while Ross here already did an edit to your pic, if I tried to do the same it'd probably look very different- I'd probably shift the eyes lower, push out her chin (or alternatively push in the her features, yes that is also including the eyes, because it's really not lining up correctly.).. Y'know, typical anime style stuff, I guess.

Also you have to smooth out the face shape whenever it's 3/4th or a full frontal. You only need to highlight the cheekbones and such when it's a side angle.

Though, one final advice? Use as much real-life references as possible. Anatomy is great an all, but looking at pictures of people will help you improve at dissecting things into shapes(or just memorizing appearances) and will generally help you out better than the long run.

Unfortunately going that route tends to make your picture a bit, still-looking. It's just an effect how a lot of poses tend to over-exaggerate to convey better.

Also Sakura's pose isn't really weird because of her proportions(though I won't say that it isn't a good part of it), it's because it makes her act like a man. Girls don't usually spread their legs like that- if you were to be seductive you didn't quite catch it, unfortunately. Maybe a sultry expression, or a bit of a curve with her torso- maybe she would- gah, no, bad brain.
    Last edited by Phearo; November 21st, 2015 at 01:33 PM.
    Hamburgers.
    (I have a tendency of not finishing things I've started.)
    I hang out alot at my own Discord server, though there isn't really much activity in there. The Art Haus Chatterbox! Accepting commissions. Do you want some art done, and do you want it done for cheap? PM me, man, and we can talk. Currently not taking any commissions, sorry!

JP Friend Code
    897036422/300565270
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phearo View Post
    Just gotta point out here, as a disclaimer- generally, when you take tips from someone else, make sure you don't accidentally copy their artstyle.

Case in point, while Ross here already did an edit to your pic, if I tried to do the same it'd probably look very different- I'd probably shift the eyes lower, push out her chin (or alternatively push in the her features, yes that is also including the eyes, because it's really not lining up correctly.).. Y'know, typical anime style stuff, I guess.

Also you have to smooth out the face shape whenever it's 3/4th or a full frontal. You only need to highlight the cheekbones and such when it's a side angle.

Though, one final advice? Use as much real-life references as possible. Anatomy is great an all, but looking at pictures of people will help you improve at dissecting things into shapes(or just memorizing appearances) and will generally help you out better than the long run.

Unfortunately going that route tends to make your picture a bit, still-looking. It's just an effect how a lot of poses tend to over-exaggerate to convey better.
    Seconded.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Quad's Avatar
    Ross gave me a more detailed version of what he just told you before and it really helped me get into art
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...=1#post1784590