Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: Lantz's Fanfiction AMA

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Lantz just post this onto FF.net. Generally people there will lap it up. That way Satoshi can be accepted as your pet OC and you don't have to deal with incessant criticism from here.

It's a win-win situation for both!

the master of infinite roads lantzblades's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    @warellis

did you miss the part where Roydgolden came in here, gave advice and I had a back and forth with him? Criticism isn't the problem, this communication is far more helpful than anything ff net would provide.

my dog is a pet sir. Characters I create simply have a journey, you have your right to dislike my characters or my works, however I shall not exodus from here to a place where the Deen anime is the original source.

Honestly I'm waiting for the more hard line critics like Seika to show up, while they can be abrasive, they lead to some very interesting conversations about the characters and setting. To put it another way, I value the opinions given, even if I don't agree.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad you appreciated our little back-and-forth Lantz! I think we both came to a better understanding of each other then. As a budding writer myself, I do sympathize with having others read your stuff for the first time and not being sure how it's going to be received. Also what do you mean by "My dog is a pet"? Is that kind of metaphor I'm not getting here?

To everybody else, I think you're all being a little bit harsh with basically trying to drive this guy out of the forum. I understand that you have some doubts about his work (as do I, honestly) but that's no reason to treat him like he's the literal scourge of the earth or something. If his writing is really so bad you can just not read it, after all. If he wants to be on this forum and he isn't breaking any rules, then what's the harm? Some people take this stuff way too seriously, methinks.

Not to say I don't have any reservations about Lantz's work though. I think some of it seems like overly "edgy" and the protagonist as having probably way more abilities then he needs but I'm at least willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until (if) I actually read his stuff. Then I can criticize it fairly.

祖 Ancestor
    @RoydGolden
    A lot of people have tried to converse and at the very least they have believed that the attempts have failed. As one can tell from the Moderator Post near the start, let's just say there is as history
    @Lantz
    Out of curiosity how long have you been working on this stuff? Like when did you come up with these ideas and how many rewrites have you attempted? How much has it changed from first draft to current edition?
    Possibly to help out Royd here, you could possibly link some previous attempts to him.

Blog Entries
    @Roydgolden

Warellis called Satoshi my pet OC. My dog is a pet, I love him and would never put in harms way. Satoshi on the other hand gets beaten like a red headed step child, funny considering his dad is Shirou. Satoshi is a character, like any other, I give him no quarter with his journey. He's certainly no pet.

I can't please everyone all of the time, so I won't try. Gilgamesh, because he's canon get praised to the moon for being invincible, despite never actually earning any of his own abilities or weapons. Mean while every OC must be powerless, elsewise they are abhorrent monsters. It's the worst of comic book status quo I've seen, and considering that I've been reading comics as long as I could read, that says quite a bit.

and plot holes take precedence over logic is the Nasuverse, in example. How does a character from the age of gods exist to run the mage association while at the same time allowing the church to exist?

Blog Entries
    @Gray

since before I came to the original beasts lair. The original version of Satoshi and company is lol worthy, if only for the sheer number of misunderstandings presented by the novel and the original animation. He was able to use the god hand because the translation left out the definition between curse and Noble phantasm. The original story was also more direct and similar to that of Cu Culain and really shat on Archer's entire perspective. Suffice to say, while his position as an avenger remains, the inaccuracies have been flushed and the cast expanded.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    the Satoshi involved in sex stuff in a long form of the joke, dragons will fuck anything. Can't believe nobody got that.
    Rude. I'll have you know that dragons have a particular taste in those they choose to have sex with. Fafnir would back me up on this.
    the bit about dragons [knowing all human martial arts] is Nasuverse canon, not my idea.
    Uh, no. Like I know tae-kwon-do, but that's about it. Are you trying to insinuate I'm not a true dragon? Rude again.
    pls don't be rude, lantz :V
    Last edited by Lycodrake; December 19th, 2015 at 12:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    @Lycodrake

I was with the joke until you misquoted me. A dragon taught Ryudou monks martial arts, it's canon bro, look it up.

@Roydgolden

To be fair some of the flak is warranted, the short version is that a lost of life in my family hurt me a lot, I was very salty about everything. Writing is the thing I love and when I came to write and discuss things at the time, I was given poor reception and often would feel as if I wasn't being listened to or understood. Obviously this compounded my foul mood but life made it worse by it happening again just as I accepted the first one. I was angry and I felt that I was being mistreated by the forum, while mostly untrue there were a few users who were indeed unnecessarily harsh.

I, and my family have finally moved past the events, so now I'm better.

as for reading my stuff, it's weird, no joke, a lot of the time when it's not a serious story I tend to write for fun and seriously abuse the many worlds premise supported by the second magic.

I'm hoping to be able to finally get some of my answers with this ama as well. Here's a question.

if Shirou, Shiki, Archer or Lancer and so forth decided to be with one girl, what are the other girls supposed to do?

wait like Sakura in the normal end?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    @Lycodrake

I was with the joke until you misquoted me. A dragon taught Ryudou monks martial arts, it's canon bro, look it up.
    It's not. It's an in-universe legend that's most likely untrue.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Blog Entries
    @You

like the legend of Hercules, which despite him being a "real" hero never existed, yet Kojiro who also never existed is somehow false. Or the Christian god existing while no heaven exists despite the Greek gods existing and having their heaven and hell existing, you know, despite having a massively lesser number of believers. See that's my problem, when you dig into the Nasuverse there's a lot of contradiction.

rather than live with the plot holes, I sew them up. So in universe legend, Ok, fine, executive call. It's true.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    @You

like the legend of Hercules, which despite him being a "real" hero never existed, yet Kojiro who also never existed is somehow false. Or the Christian god existing while no heaven exists despite the Greek gods existing and having their heaven and hell existing, you know, despite having a massively lesser number of believers. See that's my problem, when you dig into the Nasuverse there's a lot of contradiction.

rather than live with the plot holes, I sew them up. So in universe legend, Ok, fine, executive call. It's true.
    Yeah, that's fine because it's your fanfiction. What isn't okay is saying this:

@Lycodrake

It's not canon at all that a dragon taught Ryuudouji monks martial arts.
    It's canon there's a legend. It's YOUR interpretation that it was true it does not make it canon.
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.

Blog Entries
    @Lycodrake
    See You's commentary. An in-story legend doesn't mean it's true or untrue, especially in Nasuverse. It means we don't know either way. Thus it isn't canon.
    Also, western dragons - the basis for Arturia's core and dragon aspect and thus likely Satoshi's - aren't known for teaching, while eastern dragons can be. So to assume all dragons are masters of martial arts is a generalization.
    Last edited by Lycodrake; December 22nd, 2015 at 07:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    @You

The correction is fine (and thank you for it) but I think you're burying the lead here. The fact is there's a ton of inconsistencies in the Nasuverse, word of god only stretches so far. What am I supposed to do when confronted by the kinds of issues I've mentioned? Pander to the audience and continue the harem style nonsense despite it making no sense? Do I ignore the fact that the real and false monikers are literally pointless but still have some detriment to the holders of the latter? I've asked these before and gotten nowhere.

@Lycodrake

Yes, and there's a wide spread generalization about western dragons being evil, both are stereotypes. Neither of which I apply to the character outright.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    @You

The correction is fine (and thank you for it) but I think you're burying the lead here. The fact is there's a ton of inconsistencies in the Nasuverse, word of god only stretches so far. What am I supposed to do when confronted by the kinds of issues I've mentioned? Pander to the audience and continue the harem style nonsense despite it making no sense? Do I ignore the fact that the real and false monikers are literally pointless but still have some detriment to the holders of the latter? I've asked these before and gotten nowhere.
    you do what you want it's your fanfic
    you just don't tell people: "it's canon bro, look it up." When it's obviously not canon.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, and there's a wide spread generalization about western dragons being evil, both are stereotypes. Neither of which I apply to the character outright.
    It's not a stereotype and the idea isn't western dragons are evil
    Quote Originally Posted by CCC
    In the west, dragons are "demons," but in China, DRAGONS are a god-like existence. If dragons are the strongest of the Phantasmal Species, then DRAGONS are invincible... They are creatures who have no need to fight.
    But even those DRAGONS have a defect. When the scale under their chin is touched, the DRAGON will fly into a rage and devastate the earth with their rampaging power.
    They're distortions, the same type of distortions that the Nanaya family fight.

Blog Entries
    @You

iirc it was mentioned in character material, as such I presumed it was canonical. It's called a mistake dude, people make them. I said as much.

god and demons are opposing forces, typically with the former being considered good and the latter evil. It is a stereotype. Also Extra and CCC are an alternate universe, while the rules might be the same in the standard universe it's worth noting that such is not necessarily the case.

Also if they are demons then Satoshi having a reality marble is really reasonable considering that Demon's minds are basically reality marbles in the first place.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Also if they are demons then Satoshi having a reality marble is really reasonable considering that Demon's minds are basically reality marbles in the first place.
    Just to be clear, are you one of those people that think that having a distorted mind=having a Reality Marble?

I was one of those who thought that but the guys here corrected me of that misunderstanding. You might want to look it up again if it's like that.

Blog Entries
    @Fsnfan

no, I'm not. Demons distort reality like humans displace water, it, as with the Types is a matter of their existence. Unlike the Types, demons distortion comes from their perception which is applied to reality. This is similar to a reality marble, the function is fundamentally the same, alteration of reality to suit them. Hence why, a human existence, acted upon by a distortion could develop a reality marble as it's the mid point of human and demonic perception.

Also, has anyone figured out Satsuki's reality marble (I swear that Mana drain was an RM) yet? The why, not the what.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    @You

iirc it was mentioned in character material, as such I presumed it was canonical. It's called a mistake dude, people make them. I said as much.

god and demons are opposing forces, typically with the former being considered good and the latter evil. It is a stereotype. Also Extra and CCC are an alternate universe, while the rules might be the same in the standard universe it's worth noting that such is not necessarily the case.

It wasn't in a character material. The legend of the dragon teaching the monks is from Hollow Ataraxia.

Quote Originally Posted by visual fanbook interview
    「エクストラ」の世界では 1970年代にあったある大事件をきっかけに、世界中に存在する魔力が枯渴し始めるという事態が発生したん ですが、そこから分岐して「Fate」とは別の歴史をたどった世界というイメージです。
    Extra and CCC diverge from Fate at 1970. All rules are the same. The only difference is that this ritual happened earlier and the Moon Cell exists. All other information is applicable to all other aspects of canon.

Furthermore Hollow Ataraxia also talks about the differences between western and eastern dragons and their difference as the "king of beasts," to the "god of beasts."

Finally, you are taking demon the wrong way. A dragon can be a 魔, an oni can also be a 魔, a demon can be a 魔 but it also an 悪魔. When talking about reality marbles one is talking about the common sense of 悪魔, demons. Not demon in the sense, 魔.
    That is, having western dragon does not help you get a reality marble the way you're thinking it does.

Blog Entries
    @You

I'm not taking the term incorrectly. I never said I believed that they were the same, I said, were they the same, then the transition between reality marble and the distortion of demons is reasonable. One is a philosophical point of view, the other is claiming fact. I'm doing the former, not the latter.

As for Extra, there's a lot of conflicts. Archer's existence is literally impossible as is Sakura's as they are presented. And that whale aside, am I supposed to believe that the moon is a huge fuck off space computer in FSN proper?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    @You

I'm not taking the term incorrectly. I never said I believed that they were the same, I said, were they the same, then the transition between reality marble and the distortion of demons is reasonable. One is a philosophical point of view, the other is claiming fact. I'm doing the former, not the latter.

As for Extra, there's a lot of conflicts. Archer's existence is literally impossible as is Sakura's as they are presented. And that whale aside, am I supposed to believe that the moon is a huge fuck off space computer in FSN proper?
    As I explained, the Moon Cell only exists in Extra. That and the 1970 divergence are the only differences. Therefore, any statements made about dragons who existed before 1970 is valid and applies to SN.
    Sakura isn't in Extra, there is an AI based off the her character.
    EMIYA's story is different because he is someone who exists after 1970.