Page 107 of 299 FirstFirst ... 75797102105106107108109112117157207 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 5975

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Broken Chains (HP/FSN CYOA)

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Have a custom one made for him.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    Wasn't Ollivander's store nationalized like the broom industry? I would think that quality wands would be of upmost importance to the government. Plus its not as if George can suddenly show up there due to travel restricitons and buy another wand. Not when this is a big opportunity for the government to reign in their Triwizard champion with a wand replacement deal. Plus this choice will likely result in the weakest wand, which could be a major liability later for George.
    It was nationalized, yes. And given that George lost his wand, I'm sure that the government would give him a one-time pass to let him get a new wand, since otherwise, he'd be at a marked disadvantage against other champions. Believe it or not, upholding national honor is indeed a priority.

Let's all keep in mind that we still don't know Lockhart's endgame. Just because our interests appear to align for now doesnt mean that later they won't cross. I can't imagine that the Assassins' Order will always have the same goals as Atlas, after all. We would be wise to not link all of our trustworthy peers to him.

That said, I don't like the idea of Ollivander's. Tentatively voting for [X] a custom wand; is there any way we could find out what costs this would have in advance? I mean the broad strokes, like money, part of Shinji, bringing George back to Mahoutokoro; things like that.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apsalar View Post
    Is there any way we could find out what costs this would have in advance? I mean the broad strokes, like money, part of Shinji, bringing George back to Mahoutokoro; things like that.
    That depends on the manufacturer you decide on for the item and how you decide to go about it! For best results, George can be brought to Mahoutokoro, where he can negotiate with a crafter - fees may vary, depending on the materials required (which for someone in a more inhuman state like George, may be fairly exotic), and can involve cash, crafting materials, George doing fetch quests, or other such. Note that choosing this option means he may be away from Durmstrang for a time, and may cut into his time for the Second Task.

A second option is to simply secure a vial of George's blood, which can be presented to a wandcrafter in lieu of asking him to be present. A crafter can use the blood (and the magical signature therein) to determine the kind of wand George would be best suited for, though they may be reluctant to use their more exotic ingredients. This option would require either money (if Mahoutokoro) or a favor owed to one Rachelle Lestrange, who, since she is already picking up Yule Ball clothing, could commission a wand for George from the famous wandmaker Mykew Gregorovitch, whose reputation in Europe matches that of Ollivander in Britain. (Note: Rachelle's Favor can be waived if Shinji confirms her suspicions that it was George who saved Fleur, as she will consider it making good on a debt of honor).

For reference, Shinji's Hazel and Coral wand is of Gregorovitch make, showing that man is capable of producing very interesting items, as unlike Ollivander, he does not limit himself to Dragon Heartstring, Phoenix Feather, and Unicorn Hair.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; December 10th, 2016 at 08:39 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    I don't see any issue trusting Hashashin as characters like Cursed Arm Hassan or King Hassan have shown they're not all that bad as one would expect from Assassins. Granted the way Cursed Arm acted in the fifth war contradicts that a bit, but at the same time he was acting as Servant and I can't recall if he knew about Angra Mainyu. He certainly knew about the Shadow as he used that to beat Arturia, but I'm not sure if he knew exactly what that was. Also regarding the wand I just don't want to bother him with that and a professionally crafted custom wand sounded more appealing to me anyways.
    Last edited by Malgos; December 11th, 2016 at 06:59 PM.

After further thought, I realize that George is in a really tight for time with the 2nd task. And while getting a custom wand for either Lockhart or Japan would be really powerful, it will eat up George's time that he needs to solve the 2nd task. Or it eats up Shinji's prep/tanuki time as he goes buy a wand for George.

So I athink it is best if George just gets a wand, any wand that suits him, ASAP if he is going to win the TriWizards. Its not as if George relies on his solely on his wand but we can always have George replace this cheap wand with a much better wand at a later date say after the 2nd task is over. Custom wand is cool and all but now is not the time for getting one.

Changing my vote to [X]Just buy one from Ollivanders'
    Last edited by Skull Leader; December 11th, 2016 at 07:26 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    After further thought, I realize that George is in a really tight for time with the 2nd task. And while getting a custom wand for either Lockhart or Japan would be really powerful, it will eat up George's time that he needs to solve the 2nd task. Or it eats up Shinji's prep/tanuki time as he goes buy a wand for George.
    Lockhart could offer a loaner wand until the new one is ready. There is also the option of asking Rachelle Lestrange to handle it in return for a favor if you don't think Shinji and George have time.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; December 11th, 2016 at 07:54 PM.

Over the course of the story, it’s been established to us that George is putting a lot of focus on acquiring strength. It's quite likely that where George will get his wand will actually affect how he feels those around him take his growth.

While Ollivander is an excellent source of a Wand and one that many in Britain will likely have no issue with his getting, George might feel that he his being shortchanged or find that there may be better options out there considering he’s already been exposed to Japan and - to a small extent - the order of Assassins.

Now, on top of this, we can see that each of the wand options seem to come from three different factions: Britain, the Assassins, and Japan (or us, depending on how you see it and how the proposal for the custom wand is presented to him). Each of these may end up holding sway over George’s ultimate loyalties in the future.

And while this may only be a small thing at first glance, please realize that this is something he will be using over the course of the next few months and longer if it survives the tournament.

George is already on his way to working with the Assassins. Between our suggestion to periodically train with Pansy and his meeting with Lockhart in a previous chapter (I highly doubt that was just one meeting).

That said, it might be wise for us to show support for George’s continued quest to improve himself, and tell him that we understand what he is going through - as one of the few people that seem to understand his situation. Besides, it's also been established that we have ways to get around waiting for the wand in the intermim as well as circumventing our little security issue using a vial of blood as an option.

After all, George is taking our own interests into account when he acts as of late, it is only wise we do the same.

[x] - Have a custom one crafted for him
    Last edited by mr_Trickster; December 12th, 2016 at 12:33 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_Trickster View Post
    Over the course of the story, it’s been established to us that George is putting a lot of focus on acquiring strength.
    Indeed. Is that not part of the theme for this year? Through strength I gain power, through power I gain victory, through victory my chains are broken?

It's quite likely that where George will get his wand will actually affect how he feels those around him take his growth.
    Quite possible. I'm not going to disagree, as there's really no grounds for me to.

While Ollivander is an excellent source of a Wand and one that many in Britain will likely have no issue with his getting, George might feel that he his being shortchanged or find that there may be better options out there considering he’s already been exposed to Japan and - to a small extent - the order of Assassins.
    Ollivander certainly makes good wands, though I think his standards are a bit different from others, since he mostly makes wands in advances. He values consistency from wand to wand, meaning that one should be able to pick up almost any of his wands and get it to work (assuming one has a bit of training) regardless of affinities, while still keeping enough variation in a batch so that he can find a reasonable match for most untrained buyers. Like Hogwarts, which is something of a jack of all trades, master of none school, Ollivander's wands would be similar - they are reasonably consistent in quality and can be used for a variety of things, with few crippling weaknesses, but no overwhelming strengths either (though more often than not, his wands have a tendency to support spells that affect the physical).

Many other crafters, especially in countries where a wand isn't standard issue, prefer more in the way of customization in the wands they make. Their wands are made either to amplify a potential wielder's strengths, and so are optimized for casting and empowering spells in those disciplines, instead of necessarily being good generalists, as the crafter imagines a skilled practitioner might have other means of covering up say, an inability to do transfiguration well. These wands, because of how they are made for a specific individual, are usually also much more difficult for someone to take and use against you - or to pass down to an heir or such, with this being taken to an extreme when it comes to living weapons, such as the variable staff-wand that Shinji currently wields.

In terms of where the Assassins fall on this spectrum, Lockhart's operation tends to make wands specialized for espionage and combat, but which don't resemble wands at all. Indeed, they are built into/made to resemble other things, like Pansy's dagger-wands (which are perfectly functional killing implements whose handles are crafted of khutu, and give her resistance to toxins), or wands encased in a bit of metal and such (like a stun baton or staff), for those wizards who prefer something other than blades. As they believe in optimizing combat power, they also experiment with tricks to increase the power one can get from a wand, such as Pansy having a pair of dagger-wands - which are also brother wands, with their cores derived from the same source.

Well that certainly does sound that the customized wands allow for the user more opportunities to expand on their arts in ways outside of combat, which might allow him to develop further than just in how to fight.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Choice 126: Currently, wand source is tied between Ollivanders and custom. Please break the tie.

[ ] Ollivanders
    [ ] Custom

Choice 127: For the next chapter, which one of the following possibilities would you most like to see?

[ ] The Snape, Skeeter, Lockhart interludes
    [ ] The Tanuki hunt
    [ ] More on the Second Task.
    [ ] A Capture the flag game

Please vote for the one you'd like to see first. The others will be addressed soon.

[x] - Custom

Damn, the choice between the Tanuki Hunt and the Capture the flag game are both quite interesting, honestly. One gives us a perspective on what we are doing exactly and how it's affecting us, but the other one presents us with a better understanding of the atmosphere of the schools.

I'll have to go with the [x] - the Tanuki Hunt as while politics has been quite a thing with us right now, we might best learn from a direct view of the 'journey' we were told about by the king of Tengu.

[X] The Tanuki hunt

JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Seeing as how we get to see them all anyways I'm going to go with Capture the Flag. While the tanuki hunt could provide some action, capture the flag is guaranteed to do that and I'm in the mood for some action scenes.

夜属 Nightkin
    Choice 126:

[X] Custom

Choice 127:

[X] The Tanuki hunt

[X] Capture the Flag

Its been so long since the last capture the flag scene back when it was at Hogwarts. I really want to see what happens when you add a combat sport to a school that heavily trained in combat tactics, I image that the Beauxbaton students won't know what hit them as they for the most part would be behind the power curve what with the experienced Hogwarts students and the hyper focused might of the Durmstrang students.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I image that the Beauxbaton students won't know what hit them as they for the most part would be behind the power curve what with the experienced Hogwarts students and the hyper focused might of the Durmstrang students.
    Yeah. They'd be wrecked almost as badly as Shinji if he had gone up against the tanuki solo.

Just a thought for everything else that wants a custom wand. "Shinji, thanks for the wand. Where did you get the wand?"

Answer that question without a favor to Rachelle or exposing Shinji's cabinets. Good luck.

Just a thought for everything else that wants a custom wand. "Shinji, thanks for the wand. Where did you get the wand?"
    An excellent point. I actually do imagine that that will come up as a choice should the Custom Wand go through. Of course, we'll have to either come up with a possible excuse, or just hope that George will be willing to keep quiet about it.

After all, he's also in quite a position considering he knows that we know what he was responsible for doing.

This is part of why I advocate for his getting a custom wand. He's been taking our interests into account when he's been acting, it would only be fair for us to do the same for him.
    Last edited by mr_Trickster; December 15th, 2016 at 11:55 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Answer that question without a favor to Rachelle or exposing Shinji's cabinets. Good luck.
    Its not as if you don't already owe Rachelle Lestrange a favor. What's one more, when you really think about it?