Page 126 of 299 FirstFirst ... 2676116121124125126127128131136176226 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,520 of 5975

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Broken Chains (HP/FSN CYOA)

Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    It can represent a second, but not everyone uses it for that purpose. Japan, for instance, isn't sending a second, and neither is France...
    If we do end up needing a second,it will be Luna right?

I missed quite a few votes while busy with real life, it seems, some of which I agreed with and some not. Regardless, I'll second [X] Sion, with the caveat that we explain the situation to her. Having someone capable of being our second is more important than picking our girlfriend. Also, I really want to see Ilya again.

Blog Entries
    Considering Britain's current political situation, how exactly do you plan to have Shinji send it to Sion? If I recall, Shinji's not exactly allowed to send mail, and British mail in general is restricted. Mahoutokoro is because he can just use his (illegal) cabinets. It'll still be a question as to how he sent it to anyone outside of Britain besides the people at Durmstrang (of which he can simply invite personally). Of course, he could hand it off to someone currently in Durmstrang and have them send it in his stead, but that also might make Britain assume things about his relationship with his fellow foreigners.

But I'll probably just vote...

[X]

I suppose they'll still question "who is this new exotic girl?" though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanao-kun View Post
    Considering Britain's current political situation, how exactly do you plan to have Shinji send it to Sion?

-snip-

he can just use his (illegal) cabinets.
    He gave Sion a small cabinet, suitable for putting small things through.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apsalar View Post
    He gave Sion a small cabinet, suitable for putting small things through.
    ...I think you're missing the point. Whether or not he possesses the means is irrelevant; what matters is that he can't legally send the invitation out of Britain to Sion because he isn't allowed to send mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanao-kun View Post
    ...I think you're missing the point. Whether or not he possesses the means is irrelevant; what matters is that he can't legally send the invitation out of Britain to Sion because he isn't allowed to send mail.
    The easiest explanation is to for Shinji to say that he did the same thing he did to get the Ball's outfits, ie he used Lestrange's privilege to send a message. Also its not nearly as illegal for him to have a form of communication at Durmstrang than currently at Hogwarts. Which is heavily illegal is the magical form of international transportation that he has, not the communication box.

Still, bring up the box would lead to other questions that Shinji would rather not have to answer so its a good point. But I have to bring up the major hole in your logic. If you think that a letter to Sion to get the ticket to her would be too hard to explain, then why are you voting for Mashu here?

Mashu is not any better, she is not a witch, a fact that if the British knew could lead them to thinking that Shinji is breaking the Status of Secrecy. Even if her form of magic is recognized as allowing her to witness a Wizard event, she is still in Britain without MoM knowing about it. So it might raise a flag that the lockdown by the MoM is not working as non magic means still work.

Something that I think most of us forget is that Magus are not recognized by the general wizard public as existing. Only a handful of people know of their existence in the entire wizard world to my knowledge (thought it would not surprise me if USA Illuminati would know of them as well as the more non-western based magic societies like Japan). We have been led to think that magus are able to blend in with Wizard world because Sion did so in the first year and Touko is a teacher of Runes but they were special cases. Touko because Runes is a universal magic just like Alchemy is (granted Alchemy that Wizards normal think of is a pale version to Atlas Alchemy), and that people kinda assume that since she is a Rune teacher that she must be a witch, even if they never see her use her 'wand'. Sion had the special case of being a vampire at the time that could allow her to have a magic core so that she could use a wand.

Ilya might be able to fool the wizard world into thinking she is one of them by her Alchemy skills, but I do not think that Mashu has anything that could help her fool people if they start questioning that initial assumption that Shinji would not invite a muggle, therefore of course the person picked is a Wizard or a Witch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    If we can't have Harry as our second than Luna should be the backup champion, how is that even a question? She is the last available stonecutter. If we want Pansy to be the press officer then give the third to another ourea, like Ron or Draco, but let's not take a foreigner, and we certainly do not need Fleur to turn into another Hermione.
    Upon further thought, you raise a good point about not bringing a foreigner. As for Luna… I am unsure if she has the required knowledge of potions - not that Pansy would be too much better, but at least she has more experience on the matter.

Though it certainly doesn't look like we ought to be expecting anything from Fleur as far as developments go - unless I've grossly missed a few developments - but then again this part of the story is quite far off and who knows what could have happened in that time, yes?

Well, best be safe and not encourage her that way, I suppose.

As such, I'll switch my vote over to [x] Pansy for reasons I have already stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    snip
    Well, this part of the discussion only kind of got brought up now. It may or may not be a new realization, so I'd recommend further discussion on the matter before we start pointing fingers.

Edit:
    For a given version of now as I kind of only got on now that the weekend is over and I seem to have missed quite a bit.

Second Edit:

Huh, looks like we currently have a tie with Lockhart and Slughorn in the lead with about two votes apiece. Well, considering we've been publicly tied to Lockhart as of late, it could end up bad for us to be tied with him any more than usual especially if we want to have some plausible deniability as to where we've cast our lot in. At the same time, reputation with him is reputation, still.

A Slughorn option looks to be interesting as well as it certainly might be the first time we've been offered a choice with him in a while, and we already know that Alf has usually presented us interesting choices when they come out of the blue. Besides, he is still a Potion's Master, and he might have some interesting input for us at the competition, and may just trigger some interesting interactions at the competition proper.

[x] Horace Slughorn
    Last edited by mr_Trickster; March 6th, 2017 at 01:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    As you'll notice, I wrote "but I'll probably just vote..." as in I voted for her disregarding what I said just before. Rather than a hole in my statement's logic, it's just me not taking my own advice. I'll probably change my vote if there's a tie or something anyway.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    You have 48 hours to get your votes in (while I work on finishing up a grant proposal).

On another note, maybe I'll have Shinji visit somewhere like this for peace of mind before the Potions Challenge...

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2017/03/0...hern-neighbor/
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; March 7th, 2017 at 01:08 PM.

On another note, maybe I'll have Shinji visit somewhere like this for peace of mind before the Potions Challenge...

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2017/03/0...hern-neighbor/
    Looks gorgeous. It certainly looks like an excellent place for an interlude of sorts, especially if he brings company.

I am not liking this Slughorn winning at the moment. I am considering moving my vote to Lockhart to tie this back up, even if I hate ties to avoid this outcome. Its not that Slughorn is a horrible choice in every way, as there are some good points that people made on some of the advantages of picking him, but I have a few points that I think that make this the wrong choice for our goals.

Wouldn't having Slughorn on the island cramp Shinji investigation on the Island mysteries that he is doing for Sion? Slughorn I think would take his postion serious and be a mentor for Shinji for personal gain, so I think it would be hard to explain Shinji's investigation action.

Slughorn has seen first hand Tomas Riddle slide into Voldemort as well as all ready compared Shinji to being very much like Snape. In this competition we will be using our abilities to their full level, abilities that I might add will raise huge questions on wither Shinji is a Dark Arts master, and the next threat. Why do we want to do this in front of a man that all ready feels guilty for doing nothing at the rise of the last Dark Lord? I doubt he will stand back and do nothing when he witnesses Shinji's current abilities. I think he is the wrong kind of observer for us.

And last, when we make that grand potion that we been shooting for, we are going to have people come down and try to claim that potion for their own use. The minister will try to claim this as its their champion that made it using 'their' resources. Picking Slughorn here gives strength to this claim, and I don't think any of us really want to give this potion to the Ministry. Likelyhood Slughorn will take some of the credit of the potion and he will give it to the Ministry.

It is important to have in mind who we want to grant the potion to, in the long run. I feel that our guest here best represents who we think best attributes to Shinji's success(or failure) during the competition. Hence why I think we need to go invite a Sion Agent or Lockhart. And not someone like Slughorn. Because at least I can trust Sion or somewhat Lockhart with using the Potion for the right cause and reasons.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; March 8th, 2017 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    Wouldn't having Slughorn on the island cramp Shinji investigation on the Island mysteries that he is doing for Sion? Slughorn I think would take his postion serious and be a mentor for Shinji for personal gain, so I think it would be hard to explain Shinji's investigation action.
    Don't you think that any true potineer and researcher - Snape, Slughorn, Budge - would start with exploring the new location? Endemic plants and wildlife, ingredients, potioneering possibilities. I'd say any investigation attempt will get total support from mentor Slughorn.

Quote Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
    Don't you think that any true potineer and researcher - Snape, Slughorn, Budge - would start with exploring the new location? Endemic plants and wildlife, ingredients, potioneering possibilities. I'd say any investigation attempt will get total support from mentor Slughorn.
    I meant more the investigation of the mystery of Age of the Gods and Magic connections, as the island is an area that more in line with the past magic. Think exploring more about stuff like Avebury Hedge and its connection of the Other Side of the World. This is the stuff that I think Sion wants Shinji to go explore since its a rare occasion to get access to such ancient magical location.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Current tally - you have 24 hours to finalize, as I don't like it being this close.

[3] Give the ticket to Slughorn, as the Potions Master would no doubt appreciate it
    [1] Offer the ticket to Lockhart, for him to do with as he wishes
    [1] Invite Fleur, because no doubt she'd enjoy a change of pace
    [1] Fujou
    [2] Mashu
    [2] Sion

Blog Entries
    Casting my vote for Mashu then.

Change my vote for Slughorn to Sion.

Ah, if I may point out, is it safe for us to be showing our hand at this stage?

True we're going to be on the international stage and not in Britain - some would argue this is kind of a more important thing considering the stage is much bigger, and I'm unsure if Sion is supporting as publicly as of yet and unless she makes the first move for that, it may get us in trouble with her.

Especially since the British Media is going to be there, and we still don't have a guarantee that it's going to be Pansy.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_Trickster View Post
    Ah, if I may point out, is it safe for us to be showing our hand at this stage?
    You know, that would be telling

You know, that would be telling
    I meant that as a rhetorical question. The response is still greatly appreciated, however.

Or at least a question directed at my fellow players. :v

Quote Originally Posted by mr_Trickster View Post
    I meant that as a rhetorical question. The response is still greatly appreciated, however.

Or at least a question directed at my fellow players. :v
    Ah, Alf just loves to tease us as he sits backs and watches our discussions. Its his job.

As for the question is it too soon to show our cards, I am in the belief that this vote is not a complete showing of our hand. I view it as us playing Blackjack and having one of our two starting cards turned faced up. We can have a strong facecard or a weaker one here. Slughorn seems to be the weak card that overall is the card that everyone both international (at least the ones not already know him) and domestic expect). While picking Sion to pick one of her agents is likely the equivalent of the face card being an ace in that could very easily mean blackjack, or at worst the flexibility to keep drawing a lot of cards.

Certainly, Sion picking an know Alchemist in the wizard world will draw a large amount of attention from the other competitors as they wonder how he has that connection and if she picks someone like Mashu or Ilya, ie people that are unknown to the wizard world, Shinji is playing off of his large reputation that we have already establish that he is mysterious person that seems drawn to exotic talented females. Not the biggest hand showing that we can do.

I rather we pick Lockhart or Sion, with the later being my top pick. Mostly because I think she is capable of balancing all of the variables and nuances to pick a person that will not completely expose Shinji anti-Ministry activities, by having that person have some reasonable cover story/ ability to why Shinji would have picked them. Call me a loyalist here but we been gunning for Sion since the very beginning so picking a Sion agent here seems a no brainier to me.