Page 133 of 299 FirstFirst ... 3383123128131132133134135138143183233 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 5975

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Broken Chains (HP/FSN CYOA)

The sad thing is than when the time come, Shinji is gonna betray Harry and Britain, unless people vote to be in the side of Britain in the future.
    Poor Harry betrayed for the man who tell him to become a Hero for britain.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skulkidcachi90 View Post
    Poor Harry betrayed for the man who tell him to become a Hero for britain.
    Did you ever hear the tragedy of the Boy-Who-Lived? I thought not. It's not a story the magi would tell you. It's a wizard tale. The Boy-Who-Lived was a legend among the British, so talented and so gifted that even the Killing Curse could not touch him. He had a drive to him that few before had ever seen, a determination to protect everyone he cared about, giving his all to find ways to keep them from dying. His rise to the Wizengamot was a pathway to certain acts and abilities some might consider...unnatural. He became so powerful that the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power...which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he trusted his oldest friend with everything he knew, and in the end, it was his oldest friend who killed him. Ironic, that he could save others from death, but not himself.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; May 11th, 2017 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    Did you ever hear the tragedy of the Boy-Who-Lived?
    Thank you Supreme Chancellor Malfoy. Might I suggest you have the Unspeakables work on building a superweapon so that you can dissolve the Wizengamont. Fear will keep the locals in line, fear of your new super weapon.

Course I should warn you. The more you tighten your grasp the more they will slip thru your fingers.

In seriousness, I think that we all knew that we are going towards a now win scenario for a while now. If Shinji does poorly in the PC, he either is dead or thrown out of Britain in shame. If he does well, then he is either accused of working with the enemy (the other schools) to win or used power 'dark' magic to win. And if he makes a new powerful potion, he will be expected to give it to Malfoy's regime or be labeled a traitor and will be taken away. Neither case being all together great.

At least when open rebellion happens, causing Harry and Shinji to take armes against each other, Harry has this little voice in his head wondering that Shinji might have very good reason behind his actions. A self doubt that can cause someone to change sides.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    In seriousness, I think that we all knew that we are going towards a now win scenario for a while now. If Shinji does poorly in the PC, he either is dead or thrown out of Britain in shame
    He'd either be dead, or seeing as the PC is over, with no further need for him to be in Britain, he would be allowed to finish the year in Durmstrang, and then would not have his "visa" renewed. In either case, the Ministry would move to appropriate his property via eminent domain.

If he does well, then he is either accused of working with the enemy (the other schools) to win or used power 'dark' magic to win. And if he makes a new powerful potion, he will be expected to give it to Malfoy's regime or be labeled a traitor and will be taken away. Neither case being all together great.
    If he does well, but doesn't brew a powerful new potion - and doesn't expose himself as some Dark Arts user, he will be given some praise and allowed to finish out the year. He may also be offered a position with the Ministry contingent on his accepting British citizenship, though if he refuses, he is again, out of the country.

If he does brew a powerful potion, say, the Potion of All Potential, then keeping him around is a matter of national security for Magical Britain. He would be offered much to continue working for Britain - a position for life among the Unspeakables, great wealth, fame (being hailed as one of the good foreigners who came to help Britain in its time of need) and honor, and all. Power and influence such that he has never known - the respect of all of Britain - all of this could be his, if he but swears loyalty to the Ministry and its Laws, and consents to brew his potions for them. Of course, if he refuses, then he cannot be allowed to leave with what he knows, can he?

At least when open rebellion happens, causing Harry and Shinji to take armes against each other, Harry has this little voice in his head wondering that Shinji might have very good reason behind his actions. A self doubt that can cause someone to change sides.
    Alternatively, he wonders if Shinji had been planning this/working for the rebellion all along, undermining everything Harry stood for and loved, even while manipulating Harry into defending him, until the stars were finally right.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; May 11th, 2017 at 02:24 PM.

Alternatively, he wonders if Shinji had been planning this/working for the rebellion all along, undermining everything Harry stood for and loved, even while manipulating Harry into defending him, until the stars were finally right.
    He would not be that wrong actually.

and a few alarms going off when the Ministry as a whole learned of Shinji's unregistered houseguests.
    Wait, since when have you needed to register everyone who lives in your house? Or is this because they're Muggles?

I guess than Touko would apreciatte than Rin focus more in her defensive abilities than her offensives.
    Touko likely would appreciate defense over offense, as she isn't a fan of destruction, but she'd likely favor utility over either of those; utility is much better for creation. Used creatively, utility can substitute for both offense and defense.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apsalar View Post
    Wait, since when have you needed to register everyone who lives in your house? Or is this because they're Muggles?
    Its because they're "Muggles" or possibly foreign magic users in a magical home. Either a statute violation or otherwise troublesome due to the wartime situation.

I was going to make an argument about how he should have to use magic in front of them before it would constitute a Statute violation, but then I remembered this was the old Black estate we're talking about. The whole place is lousy with magic.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apsalar View Post
    I was going to make an argument about how he should have to use magic in front of them before it would constitute a Statute violation, but then I remembered this was the old Black estate we're talking about. The whole place is lousy with magic.
    Yeah, if they were living in a muggle property of his, that would be fine. But this is a magical property, with the deed registered not in any Muggle registry but at Britain's Ministry of Magic. So the inference of muggles being there is that he told them about magic (since they're not family and wouldn't be expected to already know). This is a not a small thing, given that we know that unless someone already knows about magic (except for examples like the Prime Minister, who has to be made aware of some things, so that there isn't a conflict between magical and muggle governments), they're not supposed to be told by a witch or wizard, with violators subject to fairly harsh penalties.

We know from canon (from the case of McGonagall) that at least in Britain, if a witch or wizard marries a muggle who does not already know about magic, they're expected to live as a muggle, with their wand locked away, betraying no indication that the magical world exists until it becomes unavoidable (like if they have a magical child, at which point the muggle partner is allowed to be told). If they decide to break the Statute and tell anyway, they at the very least, would lose their job - and in Shini's case, since his property is on file with the Ministry - would likely forfeit his estate.

All of this does explain neatly why Snape's father might have been able to get away with being abusive to his mother, doesn't it?
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; May 12th, 2017 at 10:26 PM.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    . . . Yeah, that does explain it; it was something I always found puzzling.

And sadly, it's still an improvement over the American system (a dig at the "upstart colonials," Ms. Rowling?) . . .
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    And sadly, it's still an improvement over the American system (a dig at the "upstart colonials," Ms. Rowling?) . . .
    Perhaps, though that's only the case until Rappaport's Law was repealed in 1965, mind you (and yes, that is canon)! The harsh American system is a thing of the past, while this is still how Britain operates.

I'm on IRC as usual.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; May 12th, 2017 at 10:19 PM.

At least when open rebellion happens, causing Harry and Shinji to take arms against each other, Harry has this little voice in his head wondering that Shinji might have very good reason behind his actions. A self doubt that can cause someone to change sides.
    I wish we could have had Shinji and Harry have a nice long chat between themselves only regarding this and other important stuff. Did we have a previous choice (not including the "pick a POV choices") that could have resulted into this, or were Shinji and Harry destined to be separated all year, Alf?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Well, going back as far as British citizenship, yes. We also had votes on where to spend most of our time (and we didn't choose Hogwarts, where Harry would be most accessible), and our weekends (which we chose to spend at manor, instead of anything else). Plus well, if he wasn't youth representative or Shinji hadn't been pissing off Britain as much with his actions, maybe the play wouldn't have been so agonizing for him and he could have stayed and chatted instead of running away to Japan.

Also, the banner.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; May 13th, 2017 at 04:00 PM.

Looks like if we want save our frienship with Harry we should choice be with Britain instead of Lockhart, well we already betrayed Zouken in the past so I don't see why we can't betray Lockhart too.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    well we already betrayed Zouken in the past
    I'd like to note that that had severe repercussions and made things much worse in the long run. So it's not like the consequences of that are to be taken lightly.

Looks like if we want save our frienship with Harry we should choice be with Britain instead of Lockhart, well we already betrayed Zouken in the past so I don't see why we can't betray Lockhart too.
    Personally, I'd rather side with Atlas than either Britain or Lockhart. Temporarily siding with Lockhart will likely be better for that final goal.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Atlas is not likely to get directly involved with a British Civil War, so long as it does not pose a significant threat to the stability of the world. On the other hand, oaths and entanglements with a faction may make it harder to work for Atlas in the end.

Also, be very careful about betraying a group you swear loyalty to or otherwise work for. The consequences can be...dire.

Quote Originally Posted by Malgos View Post
    I'd like to note that that had severe repercussions and made things much worse in the long run. So it's not like the consequences of that are to be taken lightly.
    Its funny see how people care about that now. I still remember how few of us wanted give the potion of life to zouken so he can forget shinji for his betrayal but people don't care abou that and decide to gibe the potion to shirou's sister.
    I don't want lose Harry's friendship.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Its funny see how people care about that now. I still remember how few of us wanted give the potion of life to zouken so he can forget shinji for his betrayal but people don't care abou that and decide to gibe the potion to shirou's sister.
    I don't want lose Harry's friendship.
    It's not just the potion, but since you brought it up I chose not to vote on that one. I think I would've chosen Zouken, because this is one of the few chances that he could've had a redemption arc as he's for all intends and purposes too far gone, but it didn't feel like to rob Shirou of his family again so I just abstained.

Personally, I think is a little hard to justify saving the potion for dear Zouken at the time if you think of the problem in the mindset of Shinji and not as us. Shinji had no reason to assume that giving the potion to Zouken would do anything but grant him some favor with him. After all, Shinji did not know that Zouken lost a large amount of his old personality over the course of living far beyond his normal set life span. Nor was Zouken dying so there was no life to save there.

But he did have a friend that it met the world to. I think that was powerful thing for us to do in shaping Shinji. And really we got to spend this year in Japan because of this gift. As well as a really really good weapon. I would also like to point out that had we gone with the other choices we would have benefited greatly like everyone thinks we would but there would have also came with some serious issues by not giving Shirou the potion.

For one, we would not be nearly as friendly with Japan faction, especially if they found out that Shinji could of saved one of their clans. The Kitsune leader would be pissed with us. And who can say that not having the sprite hunter clan being alive still would mean something really bad for Japan.

Ultimately a sign of a good plot branch is one that we enjoy the benefits of what we pick but rue what we did not pick. We should also be wishing for that other branch, but had we picked that branch we would still be saying the same things, always wishing for that other branch we did not pick.

And for the record, I think us ever decided to swore a loyality oath with the current British Ministry is a bad idea, even if a side benefit is a happier Harry. It can threaten our ability to hep Sion. And there is no one Shinji should ever be more loyal to then her. I would vote against making binding loyalty oaths with Lockhart as well. But I think Lockhart is a smart enough man to already see that Shinji's loyalty lies with someone else. He is just playing a game where he can swing Shinji as close as he can without causing Shinji to get to a breaking point with Lockhart.

And betraying the current assassin who will one day be an option for Summoning in a grail war sounds....very stupid. A mistake you do not live long to regret. Why go out of your way to burn that bridge?
    Last edited by Skull Leader; May 14th, 2017 at 01:42 AM.