Page 137 of 299 FirstFirst ... 3787127132135136137138139142147187237 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 5975

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Broken Chains (HP/FSN CYOA)

[X] Confide in him

Quote Originally Posted by fallacies View Post
    There is, of course, the risk that Harry might be upset about the actions Shinji has taken -- but in the event that full disclosure doesn't come to pass, and Harry either finds out the truth himself or gets fed lies by some third party, he would be more inclined to become mad at Shinji's lies, or read Shinji's actions as an outright betrayal, without considering a more sympathetic stance.

Ergo, if any of the other established choices are taken (barring a write-in), the probable outcomes are all negative in the circumstance that Harry obtains more information from a different source.
    The option to confide in him actually has the fewest negative outcomes, as full disclosure would include that he is making preparations to betray Wizarding Britain, and has strong suspicions (if not more) that Lockhart is fomenting rebellion.

I would like, however, if discussion of George's former familiar was part of confiding in him. Would this topic be covered, Alf?

[X] Confide in Harry

I would like everyone to go back and read chapter 50. Please read about Harry's current actions with the ministry and what Harry has been doing. Harry has suggested tougher surveillance laws, which include the ones that get the prophet to be uniquely numbered so that they can catch the leak source. Harry is not someone that will be able to listen to Shinji spew his entire year of illegal actions without doing something about it. All you are going to do is break Harry's heart when he turns in Shinji.

Why do you people want full disclosure in light of everything that Harry has done this year?

Serious people, the full disclosure involves telling Harry about the illegal cabinets, and all of shinji's actions with them. Shinji has no good excuse to give Harry to why he is breaking the law, Harry will be forced to report him. Shinji will lose his champion position if this choice passes. I am trying my hardest to respect your choices and reasons behind picking this but I can't see this turning out at all well, because Harry is loyal to his country and its people more than Shinji, and Shinji is breaking the law. Harry will be forced to turn him in just like he had to do with Hagrid.

I can understand wanting to mend the fences with Harry, that is why I am going with Confide in Harry. That choice at least gets Harry to see this year from Shinji's point of view where he can show Harry the darker sides of the ministry's quest for security, but without admitting to illegal actions. Confide is the middle road option that allows for us to confirm to Harry that their is a reason why Shinji has done his public actions, just like what Harry thinks Shinji has been doing. But without clubbing Harry on the head with the horrors that is Shinji's full actions.

Hell if you inform Harry about everything that can be disclosed, then you run the entirety of Lockhart's operations in jeopardy. Even if Shinji himself doesn't expose Lockhart, there would be a major crackdown once Shinji is arrested.

Edit: So it sounds that it would not be as bad as I am stated.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; June 10th, 2017 at 12:10 AM.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apsalar View Post
    I would like, however, if discussion of George's former familiar was part of confiding in him. Would this topic be covered, Alf?
    Not the specifics regarding Maeve's shapeshifting ability and what happened to it (given that he doesn't want to make Harry worry/think about the possible security breach it poses - Harry doesn't even know Zelkova has a human form, for that matter!). Just that it had gone rogue and needed to be stopped, so Shinji took what actions were necessary, recruiting a party that he knew was competent enough to deal with it, no matter how it looked.

I'll be on IRC if anyone wishes to discuss the delicate matter of Mister Potter.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; June 9th, 2017 at 07:51 PM.

Does full disclosure include telling harry about illegal stuff? Like the wardrobe portal or giving news to foreigners and stuff?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    Does full disclosure include telling harry about illegal stuff? Like the wardrobe portal or giving news to foreigners and stuff?
    Only if Harry asks. Shinji might not be volunteering news about his special Cabinets right off the bat. However, he may mention the news, given that given the miscarriage of justice, it is only right and proper that Fleur and Krum - the victims - know the fate of their tormentors.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; June 9th, 2017 at 09:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    [X] Confide in Harry

[X] Confide in Harry - Be frank about his disgust for the actions of the Hufflepuffs, the miscarriage of justice that making them heroes is, and how he feels Britain has sacrificed honor and human dignity for the pretense of safety - as well as how the Cornerstones play really drove home the point that he wasn't really welcome anymore. As such, he's focusing on his duty as Potions Champion, as opposed to worrying about his image or PR, since they're probably forcing him to leave at the end of the year anyway.

No offense, but what exactly is the difference between confiding in Harry and full disclosure to him? I mean, aren't they sort of the same thing? And if we choose to confide in Harry, will we actually explain ourselves concerning the reasons/context behind the "Arctic Sexpedition" and why we spend so much time around Rachelle Lestrange (considering those are the most "scandalous" of our actions lately)?
    Last edited by Haunter; June 10th, 2017 at 01:43 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter View Post
    No offense, but what is the difference between confiding in Harry and full disclosure to him, I mean, aren't they sort of the same thing?
    Not quite. Confiding in Harry is more related to Shinji's feelings of alienation from / profound dissatisfaction with Britain, which he hasn't really talked about much. It also explains to him that Shinji - who used to be pretty big on his image - no longer cares, because he doesn't see a future there. What he says would be the truth - but it would not be the entire truth, as Shinji would omit things like the nature and fate of Fred's former familiar, Rachelle Lestrange's connection to the Eltnam, anything about Pansy other than the fact that she trained under Lockhart, and such.

And if we choose to confide in Harry, will we actually explain ourselves concerning the reasons for the "Arctic Sexpedition" and why we spend so much time around Rachelle Lestrange?
    Full Disclosure, on the other hand, is a much more complete explanation, focusing less on Shinji's feelings of isolation and more on answering Harry's questions, whatever they might be.

Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    Not quite. Confiding in Harry is more related to Shinji's feelings of alienation from / profound dissatisfaction with Britain, which he hasn't really talked about much. It also explains to him that Shinji - who used to be pretty big on his image - no longer cares, because he doesn't see a future there. What he says would be the truth - but it would not be the entire truth, as Shinji would omit things like the nature and fate of Fred's former familiar, Rachelle Lestrange's connection to the Eltnam, anything about Pansy other than the fact that she trained under Lockhart, and such.

Full Disclosure, on the other hand, is a much more complete explanation, focusing less on Shinji's feelings of isolation and more on answering Harry's questions, whatever they might be.
    I see, thanks for the explanation. I need to do some thinking.
    Last edited by Haunter; June 10th, 2017 at 02:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Let's see.

1. While answering Harry's questions shows how much Shinji trusts Harry, it comes at high cost (not only worsening Shinji's situation, but also endangering others). On top of that, even if Harry questions Shinji, he might not obtain a valid explanation as to why Shinji acted that way recently, thus possibly suspecting Shinji that he might not be the boy he befriended anymore. Consequences there will be, maybe even creating too large a rift between the teenagers for recovery. This is the route which puts the friends at odds even if we are honest with the boy who lived.

2. This one is about being honest emotionally and showing the side that only few people know about Shinji. This is exactly what Harry would expect from his friend. Harry knows how Shinji works, he might even suspect that he omitted or kept secrets to himself in order to protect others here, but that's fine.

This is how Harry feels in chapter 50;
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    “Because no matter what he’s said to have done, I know that he’s not that kind of person,” the Boy-Who-Lived stated with sincerity. “The person you paint him as would not have stood by me during my first year at Hogwarts, would not have fought beside me against the Acromantulae at Hogwarts, would not have stood vigil by Miss Lovegood’s bedside after she fell into a coma last year. As strange as he may act, as…ill-advised his words may seem, there is a reasonable explanation for what he is doing. There always is.”

‘Even if he doesn’t always tell me what that explanation is, and keeps his share of secrets. That just how Shinji is, really.’
    Harry suspects something is amiss because there is a dissonance between his pal's past behavior (the one who was careful about how he was perceived) and the current Shinji (who doesn't give a damn). What matters is to reassert that Shinji is still someone Harry can vouch for.
    As well, as giving Potter enough to satiate the wizenmagot's curiosity, all the while ensuring that Shinji doesn't appear like a snitch to allies and other parties involved.

3. Obvious bad ending.

4. This one might have been worth a try had Shinji not been in such a precarious situation and it was a matter of only convincing Harry (although that probably would have required a higher Harry score). It's not.

Thus my choice is;

[x] Confide in Harry.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Deadline for voting will be Monday, June 12, 6 PM Pacific Time, as I will be away all of tomorrow for E3 related things.

Speaking of New Year's Stuff - Shinji will be joining the Fujous (and their new houseguest) one of the largest performances of Ode to Joy ever, something like the below:

And on a musical note, I think it might be appropriate for Shinji to go and watch Les Miserables at some point, given his current position. Might be something he does with Luna one weekend, or over the Winter Break, at the Palace Theatre - which amusingly, is also the current home of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; June 10th, 2017 at 11:20 PM.

Hmm, i think we had pretty much similar choice before Shinji's Dad's funeral - to come to the house (trust) or come to the graveyard (caution). Ofc Harry isn't Zoken - but still let's be careful.

[x] Confide in Harry.

I am sure Shinji will be glad to find out that the rebellion in Les Miserables was successful in the end. Sure, the rebellion was brutally crushed in least than a week in 1832. But the people did answer the call of their martyrs, in a only a short delay of 16 years, when they overthrow the monarchy (again) to form the 2nd French Republic. And I also quite sure that Shinji will also be conformed by the fact that after the rebellion, they managed to have the republic lasted for a whole four years before the president of the republic caused a coup that changed the government back into a Empire (Good job Napoleon III). But still Shinji can take heart that the beloved rebellion took back the power for the people again a mere 18 years after that (1870). And the Third France Republic stood the test of time...until the Nazis of course.

So take heart Shinji, the rebellion only took 38 years before they achieve lasting results. Because French history is messy like that.

And Shinji will be really comforted to see in the play the role of the rich school boys who lead the call for the rebellion, the Friends of ABC. Why their leader, Enjoiras even might remind Shinji of another boy that also a charismatic hero that is the people's champion, who inspires others to do brave deeds. And Shinji could not possibly dwell on the fact that the musical focuses on the leader so much that he other members of the group and their roles have been pushed out of the Musical almost all together at best, or erased at worst. Yes indeed, Shinji will love this play.

Since we on the topic of embed videos and Les Miserables, I have to share the following video. Too bad Shinji is one year too early to see the 10th year concert version at Royal Albert Hall in London. There is no better international unity symbol I can think of then 17 Valjean singing from around the world in their native tongues. Bonus Fact: Japan's Valjean is sung by Takeshi Kage, better known as Chairman Kage from the original Iron Chief tv show.

Last edited by Skull Leader; June 11th, 2017 at 03:33 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    Too bad Shinji is one year too early to see the 10th year concert version at Royal Albert Hall in London. There is no better international unity symbol I can think of then 17 Valjean singing from around the world in their native tongues.
    I could of course, wait until next year for him to see it. And of course, keep in mind it isn't Enjolras who lives, but Marius, who falls in love with the beautiful (almost otherworldly, to him) Cosette, who laments the passing of his friends and only in the end learns what a reformed criminal did for him.

Besides, wouldn't the equivalent to the downtrodden be the Goblins and such, who have had their share of being crushed over the years? And as such have waited a very long time to throw off the yolk of their oppressors?
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; June 11th, 2017 at 05:25 PM.

I could of course, wait until next year for him to see it. And of course, keep in mind it isn't Enjolras who lives, but Marius, who falls in love with the beautiful (almost otherworldly, to him) Cosette, who laments the passing of his friends and only in the end learns what a reformed criminal did for him.

Besides, wouldn't the equivalent to the downtrodden be the Goblins and such, who have had their share of being crushed over the years? And as such have waited a very long time to throw off the yolk of their oppressors?
    If we are going down the line of saying Shinji being the equivalent of Marius (hopefully we don't follow suit here by managing to lose all the other Stone Cutters), that begs the question, who is Shinji's version of Éponine? The fallen girl that works hard to redeem herself all while falling in love with Marius, yet never being acknowledged or rewarded by Marius, due to his love for Cosette. The girl that ultimately sneaks into the barricade, and takes a bullet for Marius, dying in his arms. The obvious answer just depresses me, but it would be a poetic end to that character.

And goblin history with their many rebellions and woe does mirror rather nicely France's history in the 18th and 19th centuries.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    The obvious answer just depresses me, but it would be a poetic end to that character.
    And who is the obvious one, praytell?

Speaking of obvious things, perhaps Shinji needs another visit to the Future Zone, where he can talk about the merits of a computer vs a console. And of course, pick up one of the hot new games to hit the market.

Warcraft: Orcs & Humans

Touko is probably giving him a computer as a gift anyway, so he can get on the web (the slow, slow dialup web), and purchase reagents off the online marketplace for such. It's thick and convoluted, but full of useful things, so they call it the Dark Amazon.

A few years from now, they're going to be annoyed when someone uses the name for their own, more legit marketplace for books. Either that, or for those in the know, mutter about the Illuminati...

Anyway, it looks like it will be: [x] Confide in Harry.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; June 14th, 2017 at 07:19 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Since I'm indisposed while E3 is on, I put under a suggestions bit! I am also open to answering questions

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Finally got a chance to look at this . . . And it's a tough call. There are advantages and disadvantages to all options, obviously . . .

. . . However, I think at this point, I'll argue for [X] Full Disclosure; at this point, short of Luna, Harry is the closest friend Shinji has in Britain - and most influential ally. Dealing with him with anything less than honesty is doing both of them a disservice.

(And, working with meta-knowledge, as the secondary/actual protagonist in this half of the fusion, Harry needs to know this.)
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Dealing with him with anything less than honesty is doing both of them a disservice.
    Confiding in him doesn't involve being dishonest; it merely means recognizing that some things are, in fact, things that Harry doesn't need to know, and that Harry learning those things will directly turn Britain (and likely Harry) against us.

Also, I believe this vote has already been called, with a result of

Anyway, it looks like it will be: [x] Confide in Harry.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apsalar View Post
    Also, I believe this vote has already been called
    That it has, I'm afraid. My apologies.

On another note, if you have suggestions for Christmas gifts for various characters, please feel free to mention them. The top three are, of course...

[x] Sokaris
    [x] Luna
    [x] Harry

Remember that Harry is quite aware of Shinji's restrictions due to his foreigner status, and since you have decided not to tell him about your illegal network of cabinets (or other means of travel), keep in mind the implications of any gifts you suggest.

With that said, brainstorm away! You have from now until the end of E3 to do so.

Tentative Gifts:
    Sokaris - ?? + Cornerstones play
    Luna - Amulet with knowledge of animal speech
    Harry - a painting of the original Stone Cutters + Peeves standing victorious over a troll.
    Lockhart - ??
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; June 14th, 2017 at 09:34 AM.