Page 171 of 299 FirstFirst ... 71121161166169170171172173176181221271 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 5975

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Broken Chains (HP/FSN CYOA)

Ok I change my vote.

[x] Yes.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x] Yes

Chapter 69. Wandering Eyes and Waggling Tongues

‘I will never get used to Portkey travel,’ Matou Shinji groused, as he was deposited unceremoniously on the arrival area of the Isle of Thule, feeling as if the world was lurching back and forth under him. His vision swam, and he almost fell on his face as he staggered forward, gasping deep shuddering breaths as he fought to fend off the urge to vomit.

Eventually, he did, with the world seeming to right itself around him, and Matou Shinji straightened – only to find himself stunned at the vision before him: a petite blonde all but poured into a scandalous dress of black and red, with ribbons the color of blood twined through her hair, framing a delicate face and the silver eyes therein, which noting his arrival coolly.

"I see Portkey travel does not agree vith you, Matou,” the other observed mildly, her voice clear as a bell. “I vill note zat for ze future.” She gave him a brusque nod before turning towards town. "Come, Gabrielle. Let us find you a place to stay."

"Oui!"

Shinji’s gaze was torn from the woman before him by the enthusiastic chirp, with his eyes falling on a young child next to her – a small girl who seemed like a much smaller version of Fleur Delacour. She stole a glance at him, shooting him a shy smile before hurrying to her guardian's side.

For a few moments – or perhaps more than a few – the boy from the east found himself unable to place who the woman who had greeted him could have been, as he had never known anyone to dress quite like that, or seem to radiate such sensuality…

…until, as he watched her walk away, his eyes drifted up, noting the very familiar rapier slung across her back.

'Wait. What was…Lestrange?!'

His mind reeled at the realization, but before he could really reconcile his image of the cold French Alchemist with the sultry beauty he had just seen, he was rudely interrupted.

"You know, it's not polite to stare," an unfamiliar, gravelly voice spoke from beside him, with Shinji turning with a start to see a dark-skinned youth dressed in a wyvern-hide jacket and fedora stepping out of a circle of sand. Perhaps somewhat hypocritically, the older teen was also watching the scantily clad figure of Rachelle Lestrange fade into the distance, even as he criticized – and whistled. "Though, I can certainly understand why you would. That girl…she is something else."

After a few seconds, the young man managed to tear his gaze away from the Champion of Beauxbatons' rather entrancing stride, turning his attention to the Japanese boy closer to him.

"And you must be Matou Shinji, the British Champion."

Shinji blinked. He hadn’t expected anyone to recognize him, but he supposed with him being unusually young for a Champion, word might have spread…

"...which makes you...Olu Akindele, the Champion of Uagadou, yes?" Shinji guessed, strictly based on the color of the man’s skin, and the sand that had surrounded him. He didn’t want to seem ignorant about who his competition was, even if most of what he knew of them was what had been written in the Slughorn article. "I've heard about you."

"...you have, have you?" the other replied, raising an eyebrow. “And what exactly have you heard?”

"Something about how you were a talented animagus who led your country's synchronized transformation team?" the Champion of Hogwarts recalled. “A hippopotamus, yes?”

“…yes, I suppose a British Champion would know about that, wouldn't he?" the African youth noted softly, his tone devoid of emotion as he took in the pile of things near Matou Shinji. "You will be heading to the housing set aside for those like us, yes?”

“Uh…I…”

The youth chuckled.

“Or will you be heading into town, chasing that pretty thing you were watching?” Olu inquired solicitously. “Who is she, anyway?"

Shinji thought it odd that his fellow Champion hadn't mentioned Luna or addressed her at all, only to find that – when he finally thought to look for her – that Luna wasn't beside him. That in fact, she was nowhere to be seen.

'Miss Lovegood headed to the village to get checked into the facilities provided for the guests,' Zelkova supplied over their mental link. 'She did not wish to disturb you, as your attention was obviously...elsewhere.'

'I see,' ​Shinji noted, feeling somehow as if he’d done something wrong. He supposed it wasn’t unusual for Luna to wander off, given her curiosity, but part of him wondered if Luna had gone to talk to Lestrange, noting how similar they looked – a point he had never brought up when he’d talked about Lestrange. ‘…I hope nothing bad comes of this.’ He let out a silent sigh and shook his head. 'Zelkova, can you take my belongings to the housing facilities?'

"Ah, that would be the Rachelle Lestrange, Champion of Beauxbatons," he said out loud, swallowing in order to relieve a mouth which for some reason had become rather dry.

"I see,” Olu murmured, his eyes lighting up as Shinji mentioned her name. “She would be the one they call the Etoile Noire of Beauxbatons, yes?" He let out a soft whistle as he shook his head. “I can see why some would call her that. There is certainly a dark attraction there, isn't there? A temptation to reach out and see if you get burned."

"...I suppose," Shinji conceded. "If you're into that kind of thing."

"...and who was the one who was staring, hm, Champion of Hogwarts?" the other inquired mildly. Then he chuckled, a sound which was not altogether comforting. "Though given the rumors, one would have expected you to be more interested in the other Beauxbatons Champion. The veela."

"—what rumors?" Shinji asked, knowing he would probably regret it.

"Something about being a modern Lancelot, who betrayed his country for the sake of the woman he loved, yes?” Olu answered, before leaning closer to examine Shinji more closely. “Or perhaps you simply have a fascination with French women?"

Internally, Shinji cringed. Was his reputation really so…overblown in this regard that even a Champion from distant Africa would know about it?

"I’m…heh…I'm sure the rumors were greatly exaggerated," he reassured the other Champion, not altogether convincingly. He was a bit startled to see that Olu looked a little disappointed at his reply.

"Eh well, and here I thought I'd found a man after my own heart," the Champion of Uagadou noted quietly. "Still, business before pleasure, yes? I am heading to the facilities for the Champions, if you would care to join me?"

'Zelkova, could you follow him and take my luggage with you? Get me checked in, take a look around, and see if you can pick out any other Champions, if you can.'

'Yes, Master,' came the kodama’s dutiful reply.

"Actually, I think I'll have my familiar take care of that for me," Shinji replied, with Olu raising an eyebrow as Shinji’s luggage simply floated into the air. "My…business, as you say, lies in town.”

"...business, eh?" Olu echoed, snorting as a thin smile flitted across his lips. "Well, don't let me stop you from handling your...business, Champion. I will see you at the Opening Ceremony tonight, Matou Shinji. Until then, happy hunting."

With that, the older teen left, with Zelkova following behind invisibly, with Shinji turning towards town, following in the now distant wake of the Potions Champion of Beauxbatons. Before he left the arrival area, however, he did take a moment to scan the map which had been kindly provided for visitors, learning that the town – the centerpiece of the area accessible by guests – was towards the coast – that in fact, all the areas accessible to him were on the coast.

‘The bulk of the island is wild and untamed – I wonder what secrets it holds.’

Likely a good many, or Sokaris would not have sent him here.

Looking closer, he also noted something curious about town.

'Huh, there's a Centre for Alchemical Studies office on the isle? I suppose I should simply head there.'

It was located in the heart of the village, after all, near the housing for non-Champion visitors and the eatery, and it would be a simple enough detour to head there first. Perhaps that would be the right thing to do, given that he was a Champion?

From the materials he had received prior to arrival, he knew that the CAS was responsible for certifying judges as competent to sit on the judging panel, providing certifications of skill for the Champions, which the participating nations had agreed to honor as equivalent to something like an OWL or a NEWT, depending on how they performed in the preliminary demonstrations and the competition itself, and formally recognizing Champions as inventors of a potion, should they happen to come up with a new recipe during the Championship, making them eligible for royalties.

(For a small fee - which was usually negotiated as a percentage of sales or royalties, they were also willing to help with the process of adapting a potion that had been developed from the rare and powerful ingredients on the isle into a variant that could be brewed with more common ingredients)

'If I remember, Rachelle Lestrange's ancestor was the Founder and first Director of the Centre,' Shinji mused, frowning as he considered, again, just how outmatched he probably was - not that he wouldn't give the competition the good old Hogwarts try. 'I wonder...could I register my Potion of Fading with them? Or maybe get some advice about how to adapt it so it wouldn't require kodama bark and a sample of my blood?'

Or maybe he could just describe the effects of the Potion of Fading as something he had encountered, and ask them if they'd heard of something like that before, or what would cause such a thing?

'Actually, that sounds like a good idea. I did ask Tomas about it, but while he was willing to teach me some more applications of blood, he wasn't exactly looking for alternatives...'

As he walked though, it was not without some self-recrimination that Shinji reflected that he'd become somewhat dependent on Zelkova to help him explore new environments and to seek specific individuals therein. At Hogwarts, this wouldn’t have been an issue as there were only so many places people tended to be. Luna, for example, was usually in the Room of Requirement when she wasn't in class or dealing with Ourea duties, just as Pansy, if she was at Hogwarts, was usually in Lockhart’s office or the Ourea quarters, but on this island which – as he reached out – felt strange to his senses, he had nothing to go off of.

Well, nothing to go off on except for the knowledge that she was checking in to the housing facilities for guests, and since he didn’t know how long she’d be, it couldn’t hurt to visit the CAS office first.

Or so he told himself, at any rate.

As he walked, he took note of the architecture, noting how...odd it was. The buildings here didn't seem to have been crafted of brick or planks of wood, or assembled from pieces of stone. Instead, they were single-piece designs of an odd lightness and smoothness that he found eerie.

There was stone, yes, and there was wood, but those were woven together almost…organically.

'Almost like they were raised, full-formed, from the earth, or...grown, with the streets likewise seeming...sculpted.'

Every other place he'd lived had showed signs of human thought and limits in its crafting and design, showed the signs of tool use, and the regularity of artificial angles, but this place – did not.

Why?

'Sokaris did say it was a remnant of the Age of Gods, so I wonder if some things are possible on this island that just aren't possible elsewhere. Or if there's something else here besides us, watching what we do...?'

That was admittedly, not the most comfortable of thoughts, but Matou Shinji had long come to terms with the fact that no matter what he did, and where he went, there would be eyes upon him, even if they were only the eyes of the self that observed the self. So, too, he’d resolved to hold himself to the standard of what Sokaris would do – what she would value – what she would deem right, even when the alternative was quite tempting.

His refusal of Tohsaka’s offer, much earlier in the year, had been one example of this. He could have given in, accepted a bit of momentary pleasure, taken everything she had to offer, but if he’d done that, he wouldn’t be someone that Sokaris would want anything to do with.

And frankly, there was no one else whose opinion – whose judgement – mattered more to him in this world than that of his patron.

Distracted by his musing, he did not notice another somewhat familiar individual as she passed him – a tall, curvaceous blonde in a simple dress of sky blue and an ornament like an azure butterfly perched in her hair.

She nodded to him, and he absently to her, though the action didn’t really register for him.

Later, he would wonder if she was someone’s guest, or perhaps the American Champion, someone he’d only ever met briefly – with most of that experience being spent watching her perform a pregame spectacle for the quarter-finals of the Quidditch World Cup with Sajyou-san.

But for the moment, such things were not on his mind, as he approached the building that was labeled as belonging to the Center of Alchemical Studies, an impressive black edifice seemingly wrought of a single piece of obsidian, adjacent to a courtyard whose centerpiece was a statue of a giant holding up the world.

Shinji quirked an eyebrow at this unexpected sight as he passed the statue, studying his surroundings as he made his way to the door – or at least, where he presumed the door would be, given that it was where the path ended. Yet, when he looked, there was visible means of entry. No door, no doorknob, and no bell to signal someone that he was there.

'Huh. How do I get in?' he'd just started to wonder before a piece of the wall simply slid aside, wordlessly beckoning him inwards. Blinking, he steeled his courage and accepted the unspoken invitation, taking a few tentative steps inside, as the building sealed itself behind him.

Inside, there was more light than he'd expected from the outside, with shafts of sun unexpectly coming through what had seemed solid stone, and much more in the way of open space and warmth than clutter and cold stone.

That and…

'Is it bigger on the inside?'

From outside, it hadn’t seemed big enough to hold racks upon racks of books, rooms full of strange alchemical instruments, several desks and lab benches, or of course, the central couch on which Aozaki Touko, the woman who was apparently the CAS repre—

‘Wait. What.’

Matou Shinji blinked and looked again, but the figure lounging on the couch before him remained the same: a red-haired red-eyed woman in her late twenties clad in a white shirt that almost glowed in the light, pitch-black slacks, and a rather familiar orange jacket, who was puffing away on cheap Taiwanese cigarette.

"Ah, another visitor, and this one, the British Champion we have heard so much about," the woman drawled, her blood-red eyes bright with amusement as she regarded him. "What brings you to this humble office?"

'...Master? What are you...?' he thought - almost asked aloud, really, until he thought better of it. Clearly if the magus was pretending not to know him, there had to be a reason for it.

Maybe everything happening in this building was being recorded for official reasons, and Touko did not want to betray the fact that they were already acquainted. That in fact, he used to be her provisional apprentice, since that would probably violate some conflict of interest clause in her contract.

"I was simply curious about who the Centre for Alchemical Studies had sent to observe this event," he responded. 'Or rather, who Sion had decided to send with my ticket....' "As a Champion, I thought it only appropriate that I introduce myself. You are acting as their representative, then?"

"I am indeed," Aozaki Touko replied, taking a long draw on her cigarette. "Along with my associate, Mister Peverell, a noted Potioneer who comes to us from Mahoutokoro."

"Good day, Champion," the crisp voice of Tomas said from behind him, with the puppet smirking slightly as Shinji almost jumped. "Is there something we can help you with today? Did you have some questions about the Centre, perhaps?"

"I was...just curious about the island, and thought you might know a bit about this place, since the CAS has sent observers to every Potions Championship," Shinji answered, thinking quickly. If the representatives were Tomas and his Master, he probably wouldn't be learning anything new about the Potion of Fading from them, but maybe... "There were some things about the architecture I found unusual. Oh, and I was wondering about some of the ingredients - if there was a list of what was available out in the wilds?"

"No complete list exists, I'm afraid," Aozaki Touko responded. "Though what I can tell you is that there are ingredients here which grow nowhere else on earth, and that even varieties that are found elsewhere seem to be more potent here. You are welcome to look through the journals and records kept by past Champions and see what you can learn from those, as well as peruse the partial catalog of ingredients that have been assembled over the years, but we cannot promise it is anywhere near complete. There are new ingredients discovered every year, and some, which although found once, have never been seen again."

"I see," Shinji murmured. "That certainly makes things more challenging."

"Yes, it would, but part of the Championship is how one responds to such a challenge, after all. At the Center for Alchemical studies, we are interested in the choices of the chosen few, and their reasoning for those choices, as well as the outcomes. Will you form an alliance with others? Will you work alone? Will you attempt to simply brew the best potion you can out of what you know? Will you experiment and attempt to make something new? All these things we take into consideration." The red-haired magus smiled thinly. "Of course, we also do like to record the motivations of the Champions, as what drives a person can often be a great insight into who they are and where they will go in the end. So, tell me, what drives you, Matou Shinji? What do you seek?"

"Mine?" Shinji inquired, raising an eyebrow, as he fought off the perverse impulse to answer “True Wisdom”, as he had to a dream-version of his former Master. “I became a Champion to honor an old friend, who taught me much about Alchemy and its power. Sokaris was her name, and she was the most brilliant person I have ever known. It is my hope, my aspiration, that one day I might be able to stand on the same playing field she does, to reach a level that she might...might have...approved of, to be worthy of her.” He paused. “…of her memory,” he added, recalling that as far as Britain knew, the person named “Sokaris” was long dead.

"She means much to you, this ‘Sokaris.’"

"More than anyone ever has,” the boy answered solemnly. “Or ever will. Without her, I would be nothing. A powerless corpse pretending to be alive. She…she gave me hope. Showed me that I could be more than what I was. That even for someone as broken as I was, there was a place where I could belong."

"I'm sure she would be happy to hear that, were she still around," the puppeteer acknowledged, noting the fervor with which the boy spoke. That level of dedication was beyond what she expected of anyone, even her old apprentice, who she knew had some interest in the Director of Atlas. "Is there anything else that I, or Mister Peverell, can do for you?"

Aside from lowering his mental defenses and repeating over and over in his head that he would like a meeting to find out what exactly Tomas was doing here, Shinji couldn't think of anything else pressing.

"No, I just wanted to introduce myself and to meet the fine representatives of the Centre," he said smoothly. "I should probably go. I don't want to take too much of your valuable time, after all, and there are things to do before the Opening Ceremonies tonight."

"Well, no fear of that," Tomas Peverell answered, circling around to stand next to his Master. "The ceremonies are some hours off yet, so I encourage you to explore what you can of the town. You will be here for some weeks, after all.” The puppet paused before adding, almost as an afterthought, “Oh, and, if you're looking for your lady friend, you will find her at the main eatery with the French Champion and her companion."

Shinji felt a frisson of unease pass through him as he heard this, but dismissed it as he took his leave.

"Feel free to drop by anytime," Tomas called to him as he left, but the boy barely heard, as he hurried to the eatery, hoping that his worries of dire things would be unfounded.

As it turned out, perhaps he had been panicking for no reason, for when he stumbled across Luna, she was sitting at a table at the Cafe with Rachelle Lestrange and the young blonde from earlier, and at first glance, in good spirits. Indeed, Luna seemed to be discussing Crumple-Horned Snorkacks with a wide-eyed Gabrielle, with Lestrange wondering aloud whether such a beast might be found on this odd island.

As he approached though, they paused, turning as one to regard him.

"Matou," the Beauxbatons Champion greeted. “You have found us.”

"Rachelle," the boy said in turn, swallowing once again, as his eyes involuntarily traced curves accentuated by her rather risque dress. "You...look nice. That dress is very...becoming on you."

"Vraiment?" the French alchemist inquired dryly, something like a smirk playing across her lips. "I 'ad not noticed, vith 'ow everyone stares."

"I see you've met Luna, my...companion," Matou noted, glancing over at his fellow Stone Cutter to find that she seemed much the same as usual.

"Indeed," Rachelle Lestrange answered wryly. "You did not say zat such a lovely young woman vas your...confidante and closest friend." The Alchemist shook her head, turning her attention to the young girl she'd brought with her to the island, who had been eating some kind of fish stew, from the smell of it. "Gabrielle, allow me to introduce you to your soeur's companion and hero, Matou Shinji,” she said, gesturing between him and the young girl. “Matou, Gabrielle Delacour."

"Enchanté, mademoiselle," the boy said with a gallant bow, as he lifted the young girl's hand to his mouth and kissed her knuckles. "It is a pleasure to meet Fleur's little sister. I'm sure you'll grow up to be just as beautiful and charming as she is when you're her age."

"Ah! Vous êtes Matou Shinji!" the young apparently part-Veela bubbled and colored prettily, almost jumping up in her seat, manners forgotten. With some amusement, Shinji thought he could almost feel the happiness radiating from her, a smile tugging at his lips before he remembered to keep his mental defenses reinforced. "Rachelle has told me much of vat you did for Fleur. And zere ‘ave been beaucoup d'articles dans La Vérité!"

"...articles, eh?" Shinji echoed, fighting a wince of pain as he remembered how the Daily Prophet had characterized him. "Only covering good things, I hope?"

"Zere vas talk of naming you a chevalier," Rachelle supplied, the odd smile never quite leaving her lips.

"A...chevalier," Shinji echoed, narrowing his eyes. "Do...you mean, a knight?"

"Oui. A chevalier of l'Ordre du Lac, for zose who are seen embody ze ideals of Lancelot du Lac in modern times. In your case, for standing against ze oppressive regime of ze British Ministry to defend Fleur, l'Etoile de Beauxbatons." Rachelle chuckled, a dainty sound that did not fit at all with how dangerous he knew her to be. "Zey 'ave not decided on vether or not to go vith it yet. Perhaps if you survive ze competition..."

"...it does all come back to that, doesn't it?"

"Naturellement." The countenance of Lestrange grew somewhat more serious as she regarded him. "Matou, you are velcome to join us for le déjeuner, but I 'ave other business to conduct on ze island before ze opening ceremonies after zis."

"That's fine,” Shinji remarked. “Actually, I was going to go around the island with Luna," he added, glancing at Luna, who smiled at this. "I know she was curious about all this place had to offer. As am I, really."

"Mm...I see,” Rachelle noted. “Zen could I ask a favour of you, Chevalier Matou?" she inquired teasingly, her voice just sultry enough that it made him shiver, despite every ounce of self-control he possessed. Thought he possessed.

"Y-yes, w-what can I do for you, Rachelle?" Shinji said, licking his lips unconsciously.

"Could you take Gabrielle along vith you?" the Alchemist asked, her bright eyes looking into his and nearly stealing his breath away. "She 'as vanted to meet you for so long, and she too is curious about ze Isle of Thule. I suspect she vould be bored vith a visit to ze CAS, and zere is much I need to discuss vith zem. So what say you, Chevalier?"

"I-I would be happy to,” came the response, with the boy falling over himself to accept almost before she’d stopped speaking.

After all, if there was one fatal weakness that Matou Shinji possessed in spades, it was that, being a male teenager, he found it nearly impossible to refuse requests from attractive members of the opposite sex. Occasionally, of course, he mustered the will to say no if what was being asked of him was particularly outlandish and the person making the request wasn't particularly someone he cared about, but neither of those was the case here.

After all, Rachelle Lestrange was quite well known to him, and in the bit of his mind that wasn’t driven to distraction from a combination of exposure to...that dress and the delightful sensuality that only a French witch could muster, Shinji couldn't see anything too odd about what she wanted. Teasing aside, it just meant that she trusted him, he thought, since surely, she wouldn't ask just anyone to take Fleur's sister around the isle. And even if he hadn't planned on going around with anyone else but Luna, surely it couldn't hurt, since Luna already seemed to be on good terms with Gabrielle.
    So, he agreed to the request, before joining the lovely trio for a hearty lunch of poule au pot - a traditional French dish consisting of a hen stuffed with diced carrots, turnips, leeks, onions, and cloves and various cuts of beef, all covered with water and brought to boil in a pot. Perhaps it was simple, especially compared to something like bouillabaisse, which distinguished itself from other fish stews by the use of Provençal herbs and spices in the broth, the use of bony local Mediterranean fish, the way the fish are added one at a time, and brought to a boil, and the method of serving, with the fish on the side, but it was a dish laden with meaning all the same.

The peasantry remembered it as a symbol of the prosperity promised to them, as Henri IV - also known as Good King Henry by the less fortunate - the man who had ended the decades of religious war in France by issuing the Edict of Nantes, granting concessions to Protestants (and minorities in general), had famously sworn that not even the lowest plowman in his realm would lack the means to afford a chicken in the pot every Sunday. His reign had been one of peace and prosperity for France, recognized even by European wizards, as his reign had preceded the disastrous Thirty Years War (1618-48) and the Nine Years War (1688-97), in which his successors had embroiled France.

(The Statute of Secrecy, for reference, was first signed in 1689 and ratified by a majority of the then-members of the International Confederation of Warlocks in 1692, following the revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685, and the beginning of the Nine Years War, a conflict in which the flintlock musket began to replace the cumbersome matchlock as the weapon of choice for Continental armies.)

Thus, to French wizards, like most of the French populace, the poule au pot was a promise of prosperity and success, and eating it before a competition was not unlike the Japanese tradition of eating a katsudon before an exam, given that katsu (cutlet) was a homophone of katsu, the verb meaning "to win."

(Likewise, for the French peasantry, the symbolic value of the poule au pot was such that it became the subject of one of the songs of the Revolution, with the people singing that finally, they would be able to put a chicken in the pot, and dispense with the ceaseless plucking - that finally, they would take what had been promised them, that their chains would be broken and all men would have their reward - if said somewhat more prosaically.)

The conversation at the table did not hit on any of these weighty topics, however, simply covering their thoughts on the competition, goings-ons in France and Britain, and of course, an exchange of gifts, with Shinji giving Rachelle the necromantic tomes he had acquired from the Black Estate auction the previous year as repayment for her help in retrieving the tanuki, and she in turn giving him a cravat which matched the color of his battle robes.

“What’s this?” Shinji asked, as he looked down at the length of grey, shimmering fabric.

“Added protection for your neck, given your tendency to make enemies,” the Champion of Beauxbations replied with a hint of amusement, to which Shinji winced, as there was some truth in what she said. “It vould not do for you to lose your ‘ead.”

“Heh…thanks,” he said after a few moments. It was his hope that he wouldn’t be making more enemies on the island, but…who knew what might happen.

‘I have to find out more about everyone else here and what their own motivations are.’

He was certainly curious about the Russian Champion, Mischa Stukov, who, if Slughorn’s article had been correct, was a prodigy at Alchemy, and descended from a hero who had vanquished Russia’s greatest Dark Lord, though the others interested him as well.

‘Ah well, there will be time enough in these weeks…’

The meal continued after that, with Shinji concluding that French fare was rather tastier and less heavy in the stomach than that of Britain, with Rachelle simply nodding.

“We’d better enjoy the food here while we can,” the Boy from the East mused aloud. “I doubt we’ll have much of a chance once we’re out in the wilds.”

And even if he’d become somewhat proficient at scavenging plants and preparing something from them, he wasn’t sure how useful his knowledge would be here, as he didn’t know what the wilds of the island were like.

What plants grew here? Were things affected by the greater density of prana? What was safe to eat and what wasn’t?

‘I suppose that’s why we have so many preliminaries that involve cooking and working with a selection of ingredients that have been pre-fetched from the wilds.’

It would be a busy two weeks before they were even allowed to set foot into the greater island, as the Potions Committee apparently wanted to make sure each Champion had a fair chance at learning the dangers – and ensure that they could be thoroughly evaluated by the CAS representatives.

‘Speaking of which, I do have to wonder how accurate Slughorn’s article was about my competitors, though…’

Just who were the people he’d be competing against? Those he might be working with? Those he might end up fighting to the death, if things really went south?

He knew two of them – the representatives of Mahoutokoro and Beauxbatons – fairly well, one – the Champion of Durstrang – moderately so, and had met the American Champion in passing, but the rest…?

‘Well, if nothing else, it should be interesting.’

That last was about the only conclusion reached by the table as the meal drew to an end, and the Champion of Beauxbatons headed off to handle her other business, leaving Gabrielle in the company of her sister’s knight and his companion.

As one might have expected of a curious young girl, she had a question for him, as she looked at him with innocent eyes that were as yet unsullied by depravities of the world.

"Mm…Monsieur le Chevalier, ven will you marry my sister?"

Choice 235: While Shinji is contemplating how the hell to respond to Gabrielle's query, Zelkova takes a moment to check in with master. The kodama has completed checking in at the Champion housing facilities, and has set up Shinji's room for him with some basic defenses and bounded fields.

'As requested, I have also looked to see what others are about. Sajyou-san is checking in now, while the Russian Champion and the Champion of Durmstrang are enjoying the hot springs of the isle,' the familiar reported. 'Olu has checked in and departed, after a failed attempt to approach Sajyou-san. There are no others here quite yet.' There is a bit of curiosity the boy can feel over his mental link. 'Is there anything else you wish of me, Master?'

What does Shinji ask of Zelkova? (choose one)

[ ] Come and join him in exploring the village
    [ ] Follow / quietly observe (write-in)
    [ ] Meet with Sajyou-san in his stead
    [ ] To shapeshift into his form and wander the island, confusing everyone he comes across
    [ ] Go check out the wilds
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; November 23rd, 2017 at 05:28 PM.

[x ] Meet with Sajyou-san in his stead

Ah Shinji is going to have a great time answering questions from his fan! Too bad the Zelkova interrupt will not work to avoid answering the question since no one else can hear the talk.

[X] Meet with Sajyou-san in his stead

Since I do not have a strong desire at the moment I might as well pick the option that I think people have wanted to do for a while and have some meeting with sempai. Thought I have to say I love the idea of confusing people with two Shinji's running around but I think Lestrange would kill the impostor after seeing the trouble Fleur's impostor caused. And there is no way that fake Shinji would be believable if he failed to react to her dress, Zelkova has no chance at fooling her. Or Ayaka.

Hmmm, if either of the familiars hang around Gabrielle by searching the town they are likely to be hugged to death for looking cute in their fox forms.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; November 24th, 2017 at 01:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    [x] Meet with Sajyou-san in his stead.

Still not sure if it's the best choice but, it's one which seems safe enough.

[x] Meet with Sajyou-san in his stead.

Go Zelkova. We have to answer The Question.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Choice 235: [X] Meet with Sajyou-san in his stead

Choice 236:
    While the interruption from Zelkova is a welcome distraction, it doesn't take long to resolve it, leaving Shinji back in the present, with Gabrielle's question looming in the air.

'How...how can she just ask me that?' the boy wondered, looking at the expectant face of the part-Veela. 'Me? Marry Fleur? She isn't even - I'm not even...I...'

How does he even begin to answer the girl? (choose one)

[ ] Be honest - say that things aren't like that
    [ ] Be evasive - say that it will happen when the time is right
    [ ] Roguishly ask why they would need to get married, when love was all one needed
    [ ] Just say that its a secret
    [ ] Look to Luna for help
    [ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; November 25th, 2017 at 05:51 PM.

I think one of these two, listed in order of preference >_>

[x] Be honest - say that things aren't like that

Stop this bullshit now.

To all the people who wanted play the nive guy "THANK YOU".
    Looks like you don't learn nothing from last year.
    Last edited by skulkidcachi90; November 25th, 2017 at 08:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    [x] A Knight-Errant does not marry.
    Last edited by Daiki; November 28th, 2017 at 12:57 AM.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    Choice 236: [/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/B]While the interruption from Zelkova is a welcome distraction, it doesn't take long to resolve it, leaving Shinji back in the present, with Gabrielle's question looming in the air.

How does he even begin to answer the girl? (choose one)

[ ] Be evasive - say that it will happen when the time is right
    [ ] Roguishly ask why they would need to get married, when love was all one needed
    [ ] Just say that its a secret
    [ ] (write-in)
    [X] Be honest - say that things aren't like that

I'm tempted to say "look to Luna," but that's just inviting trouble - particularly if Luna feels like taking a page or two out of Caren's book, say . . .

Be gentle with her - she is eight, and there's no gain in destroying all her illusions - but honesty is probably best here. Truthfully, if Shinji phrases it right, it could be good for Gabrielle's development; teach her the value of being kind for kindness' sake.

. . . Far too few people remember - or ever learn - that lesson, these days.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

[x] Be honest - say that things aren't like that

Things are too funny already - no need for further complications.

Blog Entries
    [X] Look to Luna for help

Luna is much better with people matters than Shinji, I'd say. "Shinji" and "Telling the truth" don't do so well together I feel.

Blog Entries
    You guys really want to make a little girl cry.

Quote Originally Posted by skulkidcachi90
    To all the people who wanted play the nice guy "THANK YOU".
    Looks like you don't learn nothing from last year.
    There's a point where you need to consider the context. Being nice isn't what deserved Shinji, it's because he lacks perspective and takes hasty decisions.

I don't think being a jerk to a kid just for the sake of it will grant us any positive outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran
    Be gentle with her - she is eight, and there's no gain in destroying all her illusions.
    Indeed there isn't.

Truthfully, if Shinji phrases it right,
    This is an important point. While we are the ones who vote, we do not dictate the way he formulates lines and behaves. How many times assuming his reactions did deserve us in the long term already? I'm almost sure that he will end up being blunt as hell and ending up with the girl bawling.

Which will likely affect our points with Lestrange.

A white lie is all it would take but, hey, if you guys still want to do it, by all means.
    Last edited by Daiki; November 27th, 2017 at 10:35 PM.

[X] Look to Luna for help

Its not ideal but she is better equipmented mentally to handle this than Shinji when talking to a young child. Shinji is not the best at this stuff. But I do believe we are better off being honest than not but Shinji just can not handle this is my best guess.

Blog Entries
    Okay, I'll swap for [x] Look to Luna for help, for a tie.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    We are tied at present.

[3] Look to Luna
    [3] Be Honest
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[x] Look to Luna for help
    Last edited by Baron Ouroboros; November 28th, 2017 at 04:29 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Choice 236: [x] Look to Luna for help

Choice 237: Night falls. The Opening Ceremonies take place, with each Champion expected to show off a bit of their magical prowess and / or some other talent (sometimes involving flying, dance, or other dramatics - think the Rondo of the Sun and Storm, though toned down just a bit) as they are introduced on the world stage. Guests, media, and others will all be watching of course, with the previous Champion, one Yumi Rosa Maria Picasso Suzuki of Brazil, serving as the Master of Ceremonies.

In terms of what Shinji wears, does he...

[ ] Remain in Battle-Robes
    [ ] Change into...
    [ ] Hogwarts Robes, the better to declare that he is Champion of Britain
    [ ] A formal kimono, as he is more comfortable in Eastern Formalwear
    [ ] The dress robes he wore to the Yule Ball
    [ ] The formal garments he wore to the British Museum gala
    [ ] (write-in)

Choice 238: And what is Matou Shinji's opening act? (choose one)

[ ] A dance of light and darkness, performed with Luna (see the last section of this chapter)
    [ ] A demonstration of pakour on a customized obstacle course
    [ ] A...stylized interpretation of his clash with the Acromantulae, in fusion form
    [ ] Singing "Fly Me to the Moon" or some other song, with Zelkova providing fx
    [ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; November 28th, 2017 at 06:43 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Updated Choice 237: [X] British Museum Formal Garments with Luna in a dress kimono

Shinji needs to dress to impress but still avoiding upsetting outfits like him wearing a kimono or reminding people of the Fleur-Shinji rumors with the Yule ball outfit.

I am not sure if this is able to be added in but could we have Luna wear a formal kimono? Does it need to be a write in? Here outfit would upset the British far less than if Shinji did it. And together the pair would represent East meets West, which is the cornerstone to Shinji's entire plan. And there is some joy of having the Japanese citizen wearing formal British clothes while the British citizen is wearing Japanese clothes.

Choice 238 (hmm the Uranium isotope choice!): [X] A dance of light and darkness, performed with Luna (on water)

Not sure if dancing on water is an option but its the most fitting minor skill to show off that could impress the crowd. And while I am sure dancing with Luna like the two are in love with each other (the shock) would send gossip magazines flying around the world on the issue of Shinji-Luna-Fleur love triangle, it might help kill some of the bad press/rumors.

Side note: Shinji is the wrong shinji to be singing Fly Me to the Moon. Thought I am sure Luna could pull off a Rei cosplay easily. Now if we can only convince Rin to dress up like Asaka. Sadly Rin would never cosplay willing as she is the worst japanese person ever.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; November 29th, 2017 at 01:20 AM.