Page 175 of 299 FirstFirst ... 75125165170173174175176177180185225275 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,500 of 5975

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Broken Chains (HP/FSN CYOA)

I'm fairly convinced that we cannot win this competition without resorting to some form of sabotage or other action (or lack thereof) that inconsistent with our goals. The "Potion of Fading" seems to be our best chance, but I doubt that will be enough considering our competition.

Speaking of which:
    alfheimwanderer, are we locked into the "Potion of Fading" or can we still make one of the others from the "Potions Discussion"? Barring that, could we acquirere a different one by helping someone (e.g. Lestrange, as an alchemist, seems to be a match for the "Potion of Restoration")?

Accepting that we won't win, the main question that arises is: What do we want to get out of this championship?
    We want to survive without debilitating injury, not embarrass ourselves, boost friendship/affection/reputation, and hopefully learn how to make a useful potion or acquire one from a collaborator.

Therefore, our best option seems to be allying with someone we want to win and developing the abilities that are useful to this end. The greatest synergy would be pairing with someone strong in potionmaking, but comparatively weaker in scavenging.

Maybe I'm misjudging or missing things, so everyone should feel free to argue against my perspective and I'll change my voting preferences accordingly. Otherwise, I'm going to try to maximize support abilities (ingredients/herbology, survival, navigation, etc.) to get, at best, second place. It would also be optimal if we could decide which partner we want as soon as possible.

Choice 250:
    [X] The Catalog of Ingredients
    Shinji (and Budge), assuming Zelkova can borrow Shinji's knowledge of ingredients (how else did he know English ingredients?). If not, then Zelkova should definitely read this as he is best at searching for things.

[X] Partial write-in
    Spend 10-15 minutes skimming through maps to note any obvious dangerous areas (lots of path endpoints or areas that are avoided).
    The rest of the time: Journals / Records left by past Champions
    Prioritize the most recent participants such as Yumi and the Mahoutokoro survivor, then survivors of the second to last contest, then Mahoutokoro participants beyond that. I don't know how much time this would take, so only go back 50 years at most and use any remaining time on the investigation reports.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Perverse Transcriptase View Post
    alfheimwanderer, are we locked into the "Potion of Fading" or can we still make one of the others from the "Potions Discussion"? Barring that, could we acquirere a different one by helping someone (e.g. Lestrange, as an alchemist, seems to be a match for the "Potion of Restoration")?
    One of the others is still possible, if you can find the ingredients and Budge encourages experimentation. You're not certain what combination of ingredients would lead to what result, however.

[X] The Catalog of Ingredients
    Shinji (and Budge), assuming Zelkova can borrow Shinji's knowledge of ingredients (how else did he know English ingredients?). If not, then Zelkova should definitely read this as he is best at searching for things.
    Yes, Zelkova has access to Shinji's knowledge of ingredients.

On a side note, I was thinking about how this year would have turned out if Shinji had chosen Hermione as his lover, or if Rin was his guest. Things would be very different I'm sure.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 2nd, 2018 at 04:01 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[X] Shinji - The Catalog of Ingredients
    [X] Zelkova - Investigation reports

I think that best covers the basics intel we need.

Thought I guess one could argue that champions that survived records would likely hold more valuable information on the dangers then an investigate report that goes "Hogwarts Champion 1832 - Suspected to have been killed by a River Troll", and so on. Its not like these reports can have much detail to them in that how big of investigation would anyone really do. Its dangerous out there, and creatures kill champions all the time.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    an investigate report that goes "Hogwarts Champion 1832 - Suspected to have been killed by a River Troll"
    The investigation report will also likely include map coordinates for the estimated area where they died, a brief assessment of the Champion's level of preparedness/observed skills the person had, any known relationships/tensions with other Champions, and other relevant information known at the time.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Blog Entries
    Detailed enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    On a side note, I was thinking about how this year would have turned out if Shinji had chosen Hermione as his lover, or if Rin was his guest. Things would be very different I'm sure.

IMO Rin as guest would not have turned out too well for us and Rin
    Plus, Luna>Hermione as waifu

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    250: [X] Shinji - The Catalog of Ingredients; [X] Zelkova - Investigation reports

Choice 251: As one might expect, Shinji is certainly not alone in using the CAS Archives to study up on the island, as a number of other Champions drop by to examine the materials - as is only prudent before one risks one's life going out into the wilds. Most commonly, he sees Rachelle Lestrange there almost every time he is, with the petite blonde deep in her research, or occasionally asking for recommendations for what to look at from one of the Representatives (and Tomas is only too happy to help). Surprisingly, after most people are asleep, Zelkova reports that Elesa can sometimes be found in a corner of the Archives, examining some of the Champion journals and sketches of the various ruins on the island. Ayaka tends to be around at those times as well, and she is cordial enough to the American representative, even if there is a certain tension between them that Shinji can't quite explain.

Libatius Mueller has dropped by a few times, mostly to look at evaluations of various potions created, as well as read over Yumi's journal, and Olu has visited a grand total of once, with a similar focus.

Does Shinji (either directly/or through Zelkova) offer to work with any of these?

[ ] Rachelle Lestrange
    [ ] Elesa Labelle
    [ ] Ayaka Sajyou
    [ ] Libatius Mueller
    [ ] Olu Akindele
    [ ] No. It is still premature to consider an alliance.

When voting, please specify both the Champion you're interested in, as well as whether Shinji approaches them directly, or has Zelkova do it.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 4th, 2018 at 01:40 AM.

Does Shinji (either directly/or through Zelkova) offer to work with any of these?
    [X] Rachelle Lestrange (approach directly)
    I'd go with either Lestrange or Sajyou. From what I've read so far, I'd say that Lestrange probably has the best potions skills out of the competition. Our scavenging and herbology skills would probably best complement with Lestrange, who I expect is weaker in those topics, as her potions knowledge would help make up for our deficiencies.
    Lestrange's direct fighting style complements our more indirect (non-fusion) fighting style.
    We're also one ofthe few people she get along with (besides Sondrol and Fleur) and have a history of working together.
    Factions boost: Beauxbatons, who knows if Chevalier Shinji might end up going there; Atlas?

[ ] Ayaka Sajyou
    Sajyou is a favorite of the competition, but she has admitted that she is bad with people and that it might be a liability. We have an advantage there, since she can at least tolerate us and appreciates the usefulness of Budge.
    Our abilities complement fairly well and her previous work with Budge may help us with the combined Eastern+Western potionmaking.
    Her fighting ability is maybe second only to Labelle and she also knows our abilities well.
    Factions boost: Mahoutokoro

[ ] Elesa Labelle
    Probably the only person that is worse than us at potions and also worse than us at probably everything besides combat (where she is the best).
    If we thought wecould win the competition with our potion, then she would be an acceptable partner since any help we give her wouldn't threaten our rank. This would come with the risk of her sabotaging us in favor of Ahgeak, though.
    Factions boost: Illuminati; Assassins?

[ ] Libatius Mueller
    With how our people skills can be and his temper, this would be a disaster waiting to happen.
    Mueller probably hasabove average herbology and scavenging abilities, so we wouldn't complement well with him.

[ ] Olu Akindele
    From one of the best (according to Slughorn) potions schools, but I don't know much else to really judge.
    Our pseudo "Tohno Gland" would at least complement with his lasciviousness.
    Last edited by Perverse Transcriptase; January 3rd, 2018 at 10:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    After consideration, I decided to swap for;

[x] Rachelle Lestrange (as Shinji)

Last edited by Daiki; January 6th, 2018 at 03:21 AM.

[x] No. It is still premature to consider an alliance.

I'd wait for joint preliminaries - for now, we have no basis for such an offer. Yes, Ayaka may help her kohai - but abusing her goodwill feels wrong.

I can understand people's desire to wait to make alliances. But if you want too long say after the mock challenges you will be left without a dance partner when everyone has already firmed up their game plans. I think we need to build at least one semi-alliance now and then reconsider adding to it after the week is over.

You can build a full alliance at this point, I think the champions know that, what you are building at this point is the dating period where people can test out people to see who they want. Thus it behooves us to at least seek out someone now to lay a ground work that we can do right before the competition really starts.

[X] Lestrange (directly)

We need some agreement with her at this point. They both know each other rather well and have worked together. Shinji offers her a person that can soak damage as well as scout where she has combat and brewing both locked down. She is the person that most likely to want to work with Shinji as well as the person that Sion is most interested in. I see no reason why we should not approach her now.

Alliances come at different levels from total alliance to non-aggression pacts. Lestrange is the cornerstone of the entire work we layed down this year. Taking her now should not limit Shinji too much if he wants to make further deals.

Alf, Is this choice just pick one person to approach or can Shinji and Zelkova both approach someone?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Alf, Is this choice just pick one person to approach or can Shinji and Zelkova both approach someone?
    Just one person for the moment.

Also, in the followup question, I will be asking if this just covers research, or will it be more than that.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    251: [x] Rachelle Lestrange (as Shinji)

Choice 252:
    Rachelle Lestrange certainly wouldn't be a bad option to approach, Shinji thinks, as he studies the petite blonde out of the corner of his eye, noting how her lips move almost imperceptibly as she reads, leafing through a number of reports and making markings on a copy of the main map she made. The sheer economy of her movements, and the way she bites her lips as she concentrates is quite endearing, and nearly...

Shinji's eyes jerk back to the catalog of ingredients before him as she stops, closing the file in front of her and rising to her feet. Thankfully, she isn't in...the dress she was wearing when she first arrived on the island, but what she was wearing revealed the delicate curves of her shoulders, the arch of her neck, her dainty cheekbones all the same, as well as her exquisite fingers, which he could just imagine...

"...Matou, is zere a reason you 'ave been glancing at me instead of focusing on your research?" a voice murmurs at the level of his ear, with Shinji feeling a shiver of mingled terror and delight travel down his spine as he recognized it as her voice.

"I...uh," he said as he turned, finding himself paralyzed by her pale eyes looking into his. "I...couldn't focus?" he hazards, with the petite blonde raising an eyebrow at how tongue-tied he was.

"You do seem...somevat prone to distraction," she concedes, with her lips twitching up into a bewitching smile. "I imagine zat perhaps you vere zinking of working together?"

Shinji simply nods, not trusting his voice as he looks away.

And it was true, he had been thinking that in part of his mind, as he had worked with her in the past on a rather sensitive matter related to Fleur, and he does trust her more than most of the other Champions. It was just...embarrassing to admit it, and he didn't know if he was worthy of doing so on this field, which was much more her area of expertise than his, since she'd trained for this - had killed for this.

Could his resolve - his desire - even begin to match hers?

"I vould not object to un arrangement, yes," she agrees mildly. "But vat form shall our...arrangement take, Monsieur Matou?"

How does Shinji answer?

[ ] Propose working together on research in the Archives
    [ ] Propose the above + joint intelligence gathering on the other Champions
    [ ] Propose a mutual defense pact
    [ ] Propose working together in the Competition (reveal Budge + the Book of Potions)
    [ ] (write-in)

[x] Propose the above + joint intelligence gathering on the other Champions

Mutual defense seems pointless - we are on good terms and will naturally do something like that, without prior agreement. As for all-out union... Rachelle is a decent choice, but we already revealed our trumps to Ayaka, plus had a dream of clearing the stage with Elesa...

alfheimwanderer, how much time is left before the competition starts?

Option 4 seems to put the timing of the question after the Budge assessment, which we've possibly passed (or we just haven't given it away yet). We've made a promise with Budge, which I intend to keep, and I'd only want to share it with someone we want to be the winner.

Is there a way we can get Shinji's infatuation under control (if that's what everyone else wants)?
    I understand him not being able to control his gaze when he was surprised by her dress, but infidelity isn't what an alliance should be about.

I'm going to wait to figure out the timing and see what others think of the possible romantic implications of the answer.
    Choice 252 analysis:

[ ] Propose working together on research in the Archives
    Useful and leaves options open if we don't want to fully commit.
    High likelihood of acceptance due to low risk "equivalent exchange".

[ ] Propose the above + joint intelligence gathering on the other Champions
    This option pushes us much closer to full commitment as it could give away information on someone we partner with (e.g. we wouldn't want to give away Ayaka's secrets if we end up with her instead of Lestrange). I don't think Lestrange would necessarily act aggressively as a competitor (considering her non-aggression at Beauxbatons), but she may ally with someone else or act differently for this competition (e.g. her revealing dress).
    Good likelihood of acceptance, but it depends on timing.

[ ] Propose a mutual defense pact
    As neophyte mentioned, we probably wouldn't need this as we already have an unspoken non-aggression pact. I'd only choose this if we thought we could win the competition with our potion.
    Low likelihood of acceptance. Lestrange wouldn't mind working independently, but I don't think she would want to commit to watching Shinji's back and traveling together unless there something else besides (in her view) a slight defense bonus.

[ ] Propose working together in the Competition (reveal Budge + the Book of Potions)
    Full commitment option, otherwise it could really cost us.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Is there a way we can get Shinji's infatuation under control (if that's what everyone else wants)?
    More time around Luna. What isn't helping is that Rachelle strongly resembles a more mature version of her.

alfheimwanderer, how much time is left before the competition starts?
    The better part of 2 weeks.

Blog Entries
    [x] Propose the above + joint intelligence gathering on the other Champions.

[X] Propose the above + joint intelligence gathering on the other Champions

The more sensible level at this point. It opens doors with her without shooting for the moon. They can revisit the form of their agreement if they want a deeper pact I assume after the honeymoon period is over, right before the main event.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The more sensible level at this point. It opens doors with her without shooting for the moon. They can revisit the form of their agreement if they want a deeper pact I assume after the honeymoon period is over, right before the main event.
    That option will become available prior to them going off into the wilderness, yes.

Choice 253: Lestrange agrees, readily enough. Where they should work on research is easy enough, given that the Archives are the great repository of knowledge on the island, but the particulars of how they will conduct this relationship are a bit more involved. For instance, are there bits of information you would like her to focus on researching, while he looks at other bits? Or does he intend for them to look over the same texts from different angles, to soak up as much as they can?

[ ] Split the work
    [ ] Work closely together

As for intelligence, she agrees to this provisionally, offering to swap what she knows of an individual, in exchange for what he knows of another. For now, before they get to work, she is willing to start by exchanging information on a Champion of his choice for what he knows about Sajyou Ayaka.

So, who are you interested in learning about?

[ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 8th, 2018 at 03:03 AM.