Page 200 of 299 FirstFirst ... 100150190195198199200201202205210250 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 4,000 of 5975

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Broken Chains (HP/FSN CYOA)

Faced by mindless wood constructs, I'd cry to Rachelle to take cover, channel a bit more prana into the Light vial to keep aggro and run like 300-500 meters, internally prepared for possible ambush. Then retreat via flow-walk.
    upd. - Just to be sure - start with Incendio or smth similar, then run channeling energy into the Light potion, luring the ents away.
    Last edited by neophyte; May 4th, 2018 at 09:54 AM.

So. Any contingencies in case it's all an elaborate plot?

Quote Originally Posted by Malorius View Post
    So. Any contingencies in case it's all an elaborate plot?
    We could get the shield out and start seeing if there is anyone that may be observing as I doubt we have our earth-related senses available right now, and it would be good for us to be ready in case there are any other ambushers waiting to strike. I know you cited that it would be good for us to avoid using it openly, but we're not exactly able to access alternative options.

We might also want to communicate with Rachell and establish who we are without saying anything directly so we can at least start coordinating. We have fought beside her before so that would prove good for both parties.

As for concrete plans, that might depend on what the lay of the land will be as far as ambushers are concerned, though functioning as a frontliner for Rachell could work since (I believe) we are the sturdier of our pair.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_Trickster View Post
    As for concrete plans, that might depend on what the lay of the land will be as far as ambushers are concerned, though functioning as a frontliner for Rachell could work since (I believe) we are the sturdier of our pair.
    You are not currently fused, and your wyvern-hide robes are rags. You do have some enhancement due to your underarmor, but this is comparable to her own runic buffs as far as speed. Her runic defense capabilities are unknown, as Shinji has not seen them before.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Quote Originally Posted by mr_Trickster View Post
    We could get the shield out and start seeing if there is anyone that may be observing as I doubt we have our earth-related senses available right now, and it would be good for us to be ready in case there are any other ambushers waiting to strike. I know you cited that it would be good for us to avoid using it openly, but we're not exactly able to access alternative options.
    Agreed, considering that Shinji is not a tank right now due to Zelkova not being awake, and his armor being all shot up, I do not think Shinji can afford to be on the battlefield without the shield being out. Plus the shield sensor ability will help Shinji find the true target here, the controller of the trees Mischa. The prime target needs to be him and not the trees as that will relieve the pressure the most.

Luckily bringing out the shield here will get it attributed to Ramona which we can used to surprise someone later.

We might also want to communicate with Rachell and establish who we are without saying anything directly so we can at least start coordinating. We have fought beside her before so that would prove good for both parties.
    Considering that Shinji just came out of the Ofuda that she has that she KNOWS that only Shinji can use....I think she got the message. Also 'Ramona' is holding the staff that she knows is his so I think she can put two and two together without having to clue her in.

we are the sturdier of our pair.
    On a normal day, fusion Shinji is. But when she is serious and under her runes and Shinji is lacking armor and fusion, yeah she tanks better. She has the more deadly close combat weapon at this point.

First, we have to decide: how highly do we value Miss Lestrange's life? Enough to risk our secrecy? Our long-term health? Do we hold back as much as possible or use more of our known abilities (like our manner of Assassin-style movement)? Priorities, that's what is important.

My opinion: throw everything we deem effective and pull out at 50% prana. Running retreat to distract as much of those guys as possible? The trees should be slower than Shinji.
    This is Shinji we are talking about here. The Shinji that, for better or for worst, is a knight that steps in and helps damsels in distress even if said damsels can kick his ass, he helps them. I just do not see this Shinji fighting along side her and pulling out from the fight when tired. Shinji is far more likely to throw everything he has and die on the battlefield for the sake of a girl. If he wasn't this way, he would not currently have the sprite of Perseus inside him.

Also Lestrange is like one of his biggest potional allies on the island, and is likely the one that he has the strongest friendship with of the Champions (Ayaka is not a very social person people). She saved his life the night before even when she could have just let him die in the very mess that he caused. So I am very sure that Shinji is not going to just walk away from helping her. After all he did not hestiate for a moment before flowing to her.

Retreat is not an option in his mind. No matter what we might want him to do.

-------

Time to talk game plan.

Using the ring for fire attacks is not a bad plan. Fire is good. Thought I am not convinced that it will be super effective. After all thick trees take awhile to burn completely away and fighting a tree that on fire is just going to make it attacks worst. Plus these trees are not fully sential, they are not like Zelkova, in that they are not afraid of fire because they are basically puppets being controlled by Mischa.

I am also not convinced that the main target here are the trees. Yes Shinji needs to help Lestrange deal with them but they do have a controller that should be the main focus of Shinji. Plus there is always the question of his teammate. And where Sondrol is.

Also remember that Shinji does have his mystic eyes that can see fast movement here. Thought he is not super charged in speed so he might not be able to use it to its fully ability. Not when he is without the speed increase of fusion or without the sandles. So I had considered him pulling out the knives and going to town on the trees but he not quick enough for the job at the moment. Cause he would be far slower than rune boosted Lestrange is at the moment. She is the current close combat powerhouse on the field on our side.

[X] Shield out. Start by throwing fireballs around to manuever them around so that Shinji can toss Lestrange an healing potion. Use the ice on the battlefield as water to launch an corruption water attacked followed by turning the earth into a mudpit to trap/slow the trees. Use the shield to find enemy Champions and attack them using his charged up flamestaff. Throw Explosive Potions as needed.

As always please help me refined this. Anyone has suggests to better fine tune this, please do so.

IMO Shinji is going all out, minus taking the Luck potion here. He got no reason why he should hold back here and should use everything he got left at this moment. Consider this the moment where Shinji can truly earn his worth as her ally and help seal them working together. With no book left, he going to need the help of someone that can brew well.

Shinji should be able to take the pressure off Lestrange enough to heal her, and get them to work together to push back the trees enought for Shinji to locate and distrupt Mischa. Considering that the shield can pick people heart beats and the trees have none it should be relativity easy to find him. Hopefully invisible Sondrol is somewhere else so we are not striking her instead but hey I can't do anything to lower that risk from happening.

There is another maybe plan I came up with for your consideration. Shinji could give his Shield to Lestrange for the moment. Her fighting close combat with her sword and shield would be deadly. And then Shinji could take his fade potion and play on the battleground like that doing his elemental stuff. He can always call the shield to him if he really really had to. It might be far more fitting that Shinji in Ramona form to use his fading potion since it fits her fighting style far more and would be believeable. So please consider that as an option people.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; May 5th, 2018 at 12:12 AM.

So... let's try finishing the plan?

[x] write-in: Cast a fire spell on the farthest ents to capitalize aggro; call Rachelle to find somewhere safe and run away, using the light vial to pull the tree monsters away from the wounded ally. Gaining enough distance - retreat via flow-walk.

We don't need to waste prana destroying the awakened trees - just to stop them from hurting Rachelle. And this objective is almost fulfilled in the very beginning when we got the aggro.
    upd. oh, ninja'd by Skull Leader I liked the "detect enemy champions with Shield" part, tho it probably will take some time, which is of the essence.
    Last edited by neophyte; May 5th, 2018 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
    [x] write-in: Cast a fire spell on the farthest ents to capitalize aggro; call Rachelle to find somewhere safe and run away, using the light vial to pull the tree monsters away from the wounded ally. Gaining enough distance - retreat via flow-walk.

We don't need to waste prana destroying the awakened trees - just to stop them from hurting Rachelle. And this objective is almost fulfilled in the very beginning when we got the aggro.
    First, the trees are being controlled so they might aggro on him now but nothing says that they will stay aggro on him if they are being directly controlled. The trees are likely to give chase to a retreat so I am not sure that you can fully run away from them. Yes a retreat might aggro them from Lestrange but the thing is that a very temperate advantage. And not a full battle plan.

Second, this is the finally stretch before he gets to be done for the night. So he literally has no reason to hold back the prana. Pulling his punch here will just confirmed to Lestrange that he not a great ally.

Third, he has no flow ofuda to retreat with. He only was able to flow to Lestrange cause she had one on her. There is no flowing around the battlefield or leaving it by that way.

Fourth, there is likely a reason why she is not retreating at the moment. Shinji does not have the whole story of what is going on so Lestrange might not be so willing to pull out here. Lestrange is more likely the person in control of when to retreat here, and not Shinji. He can help her retreat maybe but I do not see him calling that shot. She might not have somewhere to retreat to. Plus knowing what we know about Lestrange...do you see her as welling to retreat here...he pride as a Champion is at stake here.

Fifth, you are totally ignoring the possibility that there might be more enemy forces present then the trees. Not everything can be determined correctly by a quick glance. I think Lockhart has rammed that lesson into Shinji by this point. Especially since he knows that people can be invisible and/or transformed into animals.

Sixth, the light potion does draw aggro but based on how Zelkova reacts to it, it might just strengthen/buff them as well. I would be cautious on how we use that potion on trees.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; May 5th, 2018 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    Third, he has no flow ofuda to retreat with. He only was able to flow to Lestrange cause she had one on her. There is no flowing around the battlefield or leaving it by that way.
    But he has. The same one which allowed him to jump to Rachelle - when the mindless wood golems will be out of sight of her.
    The direct control may be an issue - but Ramona assured that controlling the awakened wood is very difficult and dangerous. It's more likely that trees are just left to rampage - to make other champions waste energy before facing Stukov and Indian champion.

Maybe like this -

[x] write-in: Call the Shield and use the remaining moments to scan for hidden enemies. If not finding ones - use fire and sun vial to pull horde away from Rachelle, then flow-walk to her. If finding - keep the Shield to deflect the spells, pull the horde to the enemy hideout, trying to reveal them and distract their control over Walking Woods.
    Last edited by neophyte; May 5th, 2018 at 01:22 AM.

Blog Entries
    You can't flow walk once the anchor ofuda is spent.

Spoiler:
    [X] Shield out. Start by throwing fireballs around to manuever them around so that Shinji can toss Lestrange an healing potion. Use the ice on the battlefield as water to launch an corruption water attacked followed by turning the earth into a mudpit to trap/slow the trees. Use the shield to find enemy Champions and attack them using his charged up flamestaff. Throw Explosive Potions as needed.

I think swapping explosive potions and fireballs would work better here since the concussive force will push back while the detonation might set them on fire at the same time (any momentum gained initially is a plus). I highly suggest to give her a phial of Proto-fading (at the same time we do a healing potion) for 'emergency'.

Also using the sunlight phial to bait the trees that aren't in the range of the mud pit to it. All the while looking for Mischa with your shield. Once you find his location, ask Rachelle to open a path between the remaining trees with a big spell and having her follow you, so you can release your staff charge onto the controller while she can subsequently strike with her sword (either to finish him or target his partner).

If the bears get in the way, have Shinji push them back with his shield / blind them while Rachelle assist with Runes until you reach his location.

If, you find Parambir, you incapacitate and take him hostage. Otherwise, you get rid of Mischa or take him as a hostage. If the two of them are together and pose too much of a challenge in your (and Rachelle's) state, take some proto-fading and get away. Or just stall them until time run out (by either running away or fighting defensively).
    Last edited by Daiki; May 5th, 2018 at 02:58 AM.

I see a resolution to go all out without regard for consequences. Well, Hero of the Light is neat too.

Still, trying to separate the treants is not out of the question. Since they aren't directly controlled, Shinji can distract them by throwing the Liquid Light to the side as an opening move. It beats throwing Explosive Potions point blank by, well, not affecting Shinji himself by a close range explosion. Remember, we are very much not tanky right now: no Fusion, armor in tatters; the Shield might protect the body from the giant tree's punch, but it won't prevent the arm from snapping like a twig.

Unlike us, Rachelle is reinforced by runes and more mobile to boot. Will she take a Healing Potion if we throw it at her? I wouldn't count on it. Remember, we are "Ramona" right now. The Flow Walking can be easily chalked up to a more common Apparition or usage of a Portkey. Unless we start loudly screaming: "Hey, I am a genderbend Shinji, you should definitely trust me!", healing the girl will have to wait for the end of the fight, IMO.

As was pointed out, we need to target the summoners. Rachelle can handle the wrath of the forest for now and we can have a decent advantage of surprise on them. It's not as heroic as shielding the girl with our body, but it should be much more effective.

There are a couple of problems here though.

- But what about the Liquid Light? The damn trees will crush it. I don't want to lose it so soon!

The answer it... Bear with it. The potion was a resource from the start, and resources exist to be expended. We are a Hero Who Saves Maidens-in-Distress! What's one measly rare potion?

- What if Rachelle dies the moment we take our eye from her?

Believe in her. She is a goddamn Champion, she will survive the bloodloss without losing combat capabilities for several minutes at the very least. And if you can't... Believe in me believing in Rachelle, I guess.

- What if we trigger some hidden wards like back then with the Bear Guys? We can't even feel prana right now!

Then we are screwed. Better luck next time! Seriously, there is no way to avoid it with or without Rachelle, I think. Those wards will not be harmful in nature though, judging from the previous experience. Also! We will have the ability to detect the counter-ambush and react accordingly. Counter-counter-ambush is very much possible thanks to our decision to disregard the secrecy of the Shield.

So, bulletpoints:

[x] Be the Hero this world needs, not the one it deserves:
    - [x] throw the Light as far as possible to lead away the tree charge;
    - [x] summon the Shield, find out the true amount of forces against us;
    - [x] attack the summoners in the hiding with Explosive Potions, fireballs, ice, etc..

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Malorius; May 5th, 2018 at 05:27 AM.

Throwing the Light vial works for me. By the way, Alf, do we know any launching spells, like Miranda Goshawk's rocket charm? I doubt the standard Leviosa will send the vial farther then toss.
    Tho if we're remaining on site, I'd stay closer to Rachelle - just in case, not to test her plot armor. Most of our attacks are ranged anyway.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    You do indeed know a banishing charm.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Neat.

[x] Be the Hero this world needs, not the one it deserves v.2:
    - [x] banish the Liquid Light potion as far as possible with a charm to lead away the tree charge;
    - [x] attack the summoners in the hiding with Explosive Potions, fireballs, ice, etc..

With enhanced speed it will definitely break upon a contact with any solid surface, but that's an expected loss. Unless we can reinforce the glass before the throw somehow?.. Shinji probably lacks time for two actions tho.

First Daiki, your ideas in your last post work for me but most of them are details that relie on IF X then do Y which hings on details after Shinji first set of moves. Really most of that I feel is not in the scope of this vote and are details for later in the fight and not the opening move set.

Unlike us, Rachelle is reinforced by runes and more mobile to boot. Will she take a Healing Potion if we throw it at her? I wouldn't count on it. Remember, we are "Ramona" right now. The Flow Walking can be easily chalked up to a more common Apparition or usage of a Portkey. Unless we start loudly screaming: "Hey, I am a genderbend Shinji, you should definitely trust me!", healing the girl will have to wait for the end of the fight, IMO.
    I am sorry, 'Ramona' is currently standing around with the staff of Shinji...SHE KNOWS WHO THE HELL HE IS, especially after the flow move. Lestrange is not an idiot here. Stop thinking like she might be confused for more than like 3 seconds. Plus it really does not matter who the hell Shinji is, the person that fighting my enemy is currently not my enemy so I will work with them, at least for now. Lestrange attacks only someone that threats her, so don't do that and you are fine. Also do not hit on her, she doesn't like that Olu.

As was pointed out, we need to target the summoners. Rachelle can handle the wrath of the forest for now and we can have a decent advantage of surprise on them. It's not as heroic as shielding the girl with our body, but it should be much more effective.

[x] Be the Hero this world needs, not the one it deserves:
    - [x] throw/banish the Light as far as possible to lead away the tree charge;
    I hate this plan, no offense here. But that light potion IS way way more valuable being a one of a kind, non-replicated, reusable potion. It should not just be tossed here or banished. If this potion was a dime a dozen, then by all means proceed. Heck, I would endorse it then. But Shinji has already a large amount of resources that are gone, adding this potion will not help for a plan that you are assuming will work and that Mischa will not assume direct control of them and stop them going after it. Things are not disprate at the moment that we need to go and toss that darn thing. They are not a Jinn.

A powered up Lestrange and Shinji to back her up that wields a NP and has a set of Mystic Eyes...I think they can handle this.

You banish that potion and it will break, end stop. Just fight the trees with Lestrange for now and relieve the pressure on her some other way. Besides you toss that potion and you get rid of Zelkova's favorite toy that makes him happy. You would not want to do that. Right?

Here is an idea that might work if you want the trees to be not effective fighting. A thick mist attack using the ice that laid around here. The mist would obscure the entire battlefield. Shinji can lead Lestrange using the shield and the two of them can sneak around and leave. Just throwing it out there.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; May 6th, 2018 at 02:03 PM.

I know that it's not IRL here, so we should expect a hypercompetence from people around Shinji... But I don't want to rely on it. Yes, in the middle of the fight Rachelle sees Shinji's teammate appear out of nowhere. Yes, maybe during the brief break in the relentless assault Rachelle manages to notice that this girl wields exactly one of Shinji's weapons - not something inspired by her teammate, not a stolen trinket, but definitely Shinji's weapon - exactly the manner he always does. But how high are the chances that she will instantly connect all the dots and make the split second decision to trust us? To take a potion, to follow our directions, to show us her back instead of relying only on herself?

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy - no more, no less. I really don't want to carelessly get bitten by this principle again.

That's why my plan doesn't hinge on Rachelle doing what we tell her. She will trust our actions, not words.

(Hilariously, we are a deceiver here once again, what's with Polyjuice and all!)

Although, you are correct, it is possible that our opponents can indeed assume direct control. But... why haven't they done it still? The fight has gone for some time now, yet the trees are still using simple swarm tactics without any support from casters. It is quite possible that the animation itself requires the full focus of casters. Or! They are implementing something completely different right now. Readying a new spell combination - which makes fast and decisive actions even more necessary.

Basically, we don't know enough - that's why scanning the opposition in advance is so important. But being the white knight Shinji is, he will have to create enough room for himself to effectively use echolocation. Funny enough, I think just putting the potion back in our pocket will be enough for a start: we have already momentarily distracted Rachelle's enemies and given her some time to brace herself. So now IF the ents will lose the sight of us it will be a decent development. If they somehow managed to focus on our prana signature or something - we can simply rely on the "blast everyone like a boss" plan.

Also also, don't forget that creating mist will be very detrimental for Rachelle as well. And that's bad for the budding trust issues.

I just really don't want to play into the Bear Masters' hands. You don't just fight the summons and puppets when you have other options, that's how losers do it. But if I wasn't aiming for the most efficient solution, I would have voted for something like this...

[x] Be the Hero this world deserves, not the one it needs:
    - [x] hide the Liquid Light like a greedy hoarder you really are, prepare to use it later to distract the trees (if you think that Rachelle is overwhelmed);
    - [x] summon the Shield, find out the true amount of forces against you;
    - [x] if you judge the opposition far enough, use the mist to run away, convince Rachelle to follow you (scream some elaborate oriental curses or make fun of obscure racial stereotypes to do it);
    - [x] if the window of opportunity presents itself, attack the summoners in the hiding with Explosive Potions, fireballs, ice, etc..
    Last edited by Malorius; May 6th, 2018 at 04:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader
    I feel is not in the scope of this vote and are details for later in the fight and not the opening move set.
    Sure then let's go with your open sequence then. (still think the explosive potions should go first tho)

But how high are the chances that she will instantly connect all the dots and make the split second decision to trust us? To take a potion, to follow our directions, to show us her back instead of relying only on herself?
    Considering Lestrange's linage and exactly who trained her family, I would not be surprised at all if she is parallel thinking and over clocked in her thought process at the moment. So yes, I do think she has a super high chance of connecting all the dots here. She is an alchemist for christ sake. Maybe not one officially yet who works for Atlas but in every way that matters she is one. Thinking fast is what they do, otherwise her super runic speed would be wasted.

Heck Shinji is only tracking her movements at the moment because he has his mystic eyes. Otherwise she would be a blur.

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy - no more, no less. I really don't want to carelessly get bitten by this principle again.
    Ye of little faith.

We have came to know Lestrange over the course of the entire year. We know her better than every other Champion, better than Ayaka even. And in turn she has spent time around Shinji, to know his mannerisms, which do not suddenly go away while Polyjuice. Shinji is not a great actor.

And if you have not realized all of this, I am not sure what to do at this point. Lestrange does not attack anyone that does not attack her first. Period. But when they do, she kills.

So as long as Shinji is not throwing spells at her, she not going to attack 'Ramona.'

That's why my plan doesn't hinge on Rachelle doing what we tell her. She will trust our actions, not words.
    Ah, I do think any of the plans that people gave hing on her doing what we tell her. They relie on backing her up and letting her do her thing, while we find the real enemy.

Although, you are correct, it is possible that our opponents can indeed assume direct control. But... why haven't they done it still?
    I thought the reason was obvious as Ramona hinted towards it herself. There is likely a price to pay for the caster to direct control. Maybe they can only handle one, maybe it puts strain on their human brain. Maybe it cost a shit ton more prana to do so. Maybe the controller gets a nasty feedback when their 'puppets' die or get hurt.

No matter the reason, chances are direct control is something that someone does not just do on a whim. Not when the uncontrolled trees do the job well enough on their own, freeing you to focus on something else.

Blog Entries
    I'll laugh if for all that arguing, we will see Shinji get bitch slapped to unconsciousness before he can even take action (failing initiative rolls suck). And then we're saved by an external factor (yay for fate rolls) and own something to our savior (nay for non-friendship rolls).

Ehm. We flow-walk here and see Champion of Beauxbatons, one of the strongest fighters we know, overwhelmed by the magical forest. Currently, we have no access to fusion, and somewhere around may hide Russian and Indian Champions, top-tier opponents on par with Rachelle. And we think that situation isn't desperate enough?

Quote Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
    And we think that situation isn't desperate enough?
    Considering that Lestrange can still fight and that the enemy is no where near as super badass as the Jinn, yeah its not the same level of desperate level. I am not seeing anyone call for taking the luck potion at the moment so it does not look like people consider this as DEFCON 5 moment. Don't get me wrong its no cake walk but Shinji can still deal with this. Just don't get cocky...

Quote Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
    I'll laugh if for all that arguing, we will see Shinji get bitch slapped to unconsciousness before he can even take action (failing initiative rolls suck). And then we're saved by an external factor (yay for fate rolls) and own something to our savior (nay for non-friendship rolls).
    Divine karma.