Page 240 of 299 FirstFirst ... 140190230235238239240241242245250290 ... LastLast
Results 4,781 to 4,800 of 5975

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Broken Chains (HP/FSN CYOA)

[ ] Potion of all Potential

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malorius View Post
    Or! We can create PoAP and be forced to use it on the next floor. Sounds great, amirite?
    Or you could just unseal Perseus.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Got to go with the potential potion, since that's the one I wanted to see before this began, even though it's not optimal.

Or you could just unseal Perseus.
    >implying that we won't have to do it anyway after the PoAP is over two levels later

Uh, seriously? If you want to make PoAP, let's just drop this thing entirely and go to Sion with the legendary potion as a proof of our competence. That's the path to success with extremely limited options. Instead we will use it all in the Dungeon (very limited dosage!), hopefully get a partial completion at best and go home empty handed. If ("handed") at all.

Choices like this are the reason I generally dislike CYOAs. The choice of a potion interacts with a lot of other decisions, including some of the previous ones, all of the choices are served piecemeal and our understanding of the path onwards changes from update to update, which isn't strictly true for player character (who usually has a better understanding of his circumstances and options than us). And if there is something constant in quests it's incoherent decision making process of any given player base. We are all guilty of it.

Eh, that's why plan votes are inherently superior. Nothing to be done here if it's Alf's preference.
    Last edited by Malorius; September 26th, 2018 at 04:11 PM.

[X] Potion of all Potential (counts for three)

Whine about all you want, but this place basically requires us to become better than we ever been before. It going require something like this to get to the bottom. That and us needing to just deal with Perseus and unsealing him and getting use to him. These two things are the shit we have to do if we want to get to the bottom (as unlikely it will be for us to reach the bottom).

Frankly, I do not care if we use all the fade potion, all of the luck potion and all the PoAP to get to this bottom, if that what it takes to get down there. Heck if it takes using up every darn command seal to do this, I think I would pay that price.

Just think of what Elesa will be like if she takes it PoAP. There is a lot of stuff I am willing to sacrifice to get the forgotten knowledge of the gods for Sion. Even if she never requested it and it completely blows out of the water her expectations on Shinji. Because getting this will cement Shinji's place by Sion side as he will have done the impossible (with much help from Elesa).

Proving Shinji's competence to Sion was never my goal here, nor has it been to win this Potion Champion or even to make Shinji look good in anyone's eyes. It has been solely focused on getting as much data about the island and information the forgotten past for her. And this dungeon holds that best result that I know of to reach that goal. So all of my incoherent decision making basically been focused on that.

However, I at least believe that this will not be the only place in the entire dungeon to restock up on ingredients. That we maybe able to make more PoAP or something else at a later point while in this place.

Embrace the inherent incoherence nature of our decision making. It has been our greatest weakness and less often our greatest strength.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; September 27th, 2018 at 12:28 AM.

Uh-huh, sure, if not going "YOLO!" - completely unnecessarily and clearly counterproductively, I might add, - counts as whining around this parts, have your way.

Also, you are operating under the assumption that we will reach the bottom of the Dungeon if we use every available resource. Better curb those expectations! We are too underleveled for this dungeon, we cannot succeed more than partially; it's narratively substandard to give us a win here. It gives us no incentive to "try harder next time". Look for a fight with Hokuto for comparisons.

I would be glad to be wrong here, by the way.

Just think of what Elesa will be like if she takes it PoAP.
    Why you people think that giving her a doze of potion is a better idea than drinking it yourself twice is beyond me. Do you think that she has a much greater potential than Shinji? She has come closer to realizing her full potential, true, but that makes the potion less effective on her, not more.

She will survive without it, and that's what matters. PoAP will end before the end of the challenge anyway, no need to hasten it.

Embrace the inherent incoherence nature of our decision making. It has been our greatest weakness and less often our greatest strength.
    Nah, thanks for the offer, but I'll pass. I'll stick to boring consistent character building, keeping plans and actions straight and not dropping responsibility because of whimsy.

Enough of that unpleasant stuff irl, honestly.
    Last edited by Malorius; September 27th, 2018 at 02:06 AM.

Well, the Elesa part is me thinking, Shinji AND Elesa on this potion is great thing. Not just Elesa on it. Cause any potion we brew I think should be used together. Elesa at her absolute best is not so that she lives (cause she lives no matter what) but to increase the combined firepower so they can both get to the bottom.

On the whining part, I wasn't really targeting you sololy in my head. I have whined before here...ok a lot, so I think everyone has had their moments of it. I really did not mean much from that statement.

As for the assumption of reaching the bottom if we throw everything at it...well sure it all might not be enough to reach the goal but its the only thing Shinji can really do/believe in to get there. Maybe we will get there and maybe we don't, but by god Shinji is somewhat stubborn enough to at least try and throw everything cause he thinks that this is what Sion wants.

I curb nothing. I never thought last year that Shinji was going to become even the Potion Champion of Hogwarts as at the time it seemed so darn far away. But he did that. Shinji has a history of doing the impossible or improbable. I am not holding my breath about reaching the bottom but my god I at least want to do what it takes to get there.

Shinji was a big fish in a small pond, if we regard a fighting skill alone. He won because of that, not sure why you doubted it.

That's no longer the case, so.

There's nothing wrong with wishful thinking - until the moment we discard a workable strategy to chase the most impressive looking one.
    Last edited by Malorius; September 27th, 2018 at 03:14 AM.

Blog Entries
    [x] Potion of all Potential (counts for three).

JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    Heck if it takes using up every darn command seal to do this, I think I would pay that price.
    I feel like that's going a bit too far, since there's an entity that's just waiting to be born that needs to be stopped. I think that would please Sion more than this. After all Atlas is all about saving mankind.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Choice 400: [x] Potion of All Potential

Choice 401:
    Since we're going deeper into the labyrinth, Elesa figures that now is as good a time adjust Shinji's equipment, as the next floors are likely to be challenging.

Do you wish to modify the bonuses you currently have? (Current bonuses: Speed Boost, Enhanced Physical Damage Resist, Emission Control)

[ ] Yes
    [ ] No

Choice 402: And does he ask for something else from Elesa so he can be a better support?

[ ] Utility Potions, if she has any
    [ ] A weapon other than his wand-staff
    [ ] Something to boost his damage reduction skills
    [ ] Something to boost his elemental resist
    [ ] (write-in)
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[x] Yes.

Apparently, physical resistance doesn't help all that much with being thrown against the walls, so.

[ ] Mres.
    [x] Speed
    [x] Weight

[ ] Stealth
    [x] Sure-step

[x] Weapon.

Speed is still our main defence and weapon, but we can't do much except serve as a distraction without something to sting our enemies.

Fusion runs out of time, ofuda don't get replenished for reasons, Shinji loses his prana with every move, but a knife? It keeps stabbing.
    Last edited by Malorius; September 27th, 2018 at 04:15 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Still going with speed, weight reduction and Sure-step.

Oh and I'm shocked that I forgot that he has yet to get a weapon, aside from the staff, so this works nicely for me as I like melee combat.
    Last edited by Malgos; September 27th, 2018 at 05:29 PM.

Oh right!

Still going with speed, weight reduction and Sure-step.
    Really liked the synergy in your idea the first time around. Now is a good time to see how it plays out.

JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Malorius View Post
    Oh right!

Really liked the synergy in your idea the first time around. Now is a good time to see how it plays out.
    I think it also makes the most of all his movement training with this amazing mobility. The problem is that he's all in on dodging taking hits, outside of fusion, may just destroy him outright and with this setup getting slammed into a wall like before may just instantly kill him. Fusion offsets these issues very well, so he ends up as a fast tank that deals quite a bit of damage.

that deals quite a bit of damage.
    Or at least he is supposed to. As much as it pains me, the reality of our situation is that Shinji was a distraction at best during the current delve into the Dungeon (and liability realistically, since it sounded like protecting him from harm took a lot of effort from Elesa during the last floor). And that's not going to change if we become even faster. That's why a weapon is so important.

Well, here's to the hope that we will not have to separate from Zelkova until the very end. We have browsed the third of the Dungeon and haven't even scythe-ed anyone yet!

Blog Entries
    [x] Yes.
    [x] Utility Potions, if she has any.

He does not need to ask Elesa for a knife...

Just for the recorded but this Shinji has already two knives and the Hidden Blade on him. Granted, they might not be what you are looking for but he already has those weapons. I would if you really want to go all out just start using the Hidden Blade. But there is the issue that all of this is the weapon of choice of the Templars which is not going to endear Shinji to Elesa at all. Asking for a powerful dagger might raise her eyebrows on Shinji.

We don't have/use a secondary weapon for a couple of reasons. The main reason is that Shinji likes to hold his secondary wand in that hand since he duel casts. I thought we are happy with that method as its what he has practiced with forever at this point. The other reason is that Shinji staff sometimes works best as a two handed weapon.

Also like how good do you think Elesa's knives on her could be? She is not Lockhart, king of knives. In fact I would assume that she is far more likely to pull out a magic gun here since magic tech is the American bread and butter.

I still like the idea of getting the hidden blade upgraded but that more a next year thing.

On the weapon department, Shinji already has a upgrade that he does not know about. Due to Zelkova's merge with Perseus, our fusion form has been granted access to Harpe. The scythe has changed to match that. This was at least true before we sealed Perseus true on Shinji's side of things, so I am not 100% sure it is still true. But if it still is true then there is your upgrade to deadliness and armor piercing.

As for Suit changes, I am just going to remind you all that there are things that can get past the defense nature of Fusion, so we should not rely solely on that to save us from a hit. As well as we can't always be in fusion. I think if we are going to sure-step instead of Stealth we need to at least keep P Def or M. Def on the armor and not go weightless reduction. Yes all three are great together but we do need something for defense outside of the plan, do not get hit.

Or we need to ask for Choice 402 for defense boost or element resistance. Something needs to cover this front at the least. Either the armor or this. Do not ignore it fully. The next series of challenges are suppose to be more combat focused ones, if you can believe that. So please do not get rid of ALL OUR defenses here and at least keep one.

[X] No

But if I did have to say Yes here it should be Spd, M.DEF, and Sure-step or just keep the Stealth.

[X] Utility Potions, if she has any

If you guys still are going for the no defense SPD YEAH! suit changes then this vote choose needs to be []Something to boost his damage reduction skills
    Last edited by Skull Leader; September 27th, 2018 at 07:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm only shooting for some mag.res here, yeah.

Utility potions will serve to offer more options to tackle the next floors.