Page 292 of 299 FirstFirst ... 192242282287290291292293294297 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,840 of 5975

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Broken Chains (HP/FSN CYOA)

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Oh, quick thing - if you could all start tossing around ideas for the title for year 5, that would be good.

So far, the main contenders are:

Matou Shinji and the Lie of Peace

Matou Shinji and the Civil War

Matou Shinji and the Price of Victory

I am, however, open to suggestions.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Matou Shinji and the Twisted Paths. //More of a generalized name, without commitment to any course of action.

Matou Shinji and the Shattered Order
    . //Both a nod towards the Civil War and to the scattered remains of Order of Phoenix which probably will make some appearance. Also, a possibility for Assassins.

Matou Shinji and the Burning Crusade. //The army of Dark Lord on the path to vengeance, yes, but also possible Templair involvement. No, no Church agenda at all here, surely.

Matou Shinji and the Enemy Within
    . //Shinji's new draconic problems, Civil war, hidden opponents behind the curtains, etc. Another non-commitment name.

Well, those are my interpretations of possibilities. You can pick one and go much further with it though.
    Last edited by Malorius; March 12th, 2019 at 05:42 AM.

Matou Shinji and the Price of Victory sound good to me.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    Matou Shinji and the Price of Victory
    I like this one.

Price of Victory sounds too self-centered to me. Feels too much like like patting ourselves on the back, honestly. Like, is it intended to crown our past achievements, the result of our current fight or the Civil War? Whatever the case, it doesn't produce the feeling of tension it probably should by straight up telling us that there is victory decided already. ...But maybe that's just me.

Anyway, if I had to choose from the presented options, I would have definitely gone after Matou Shinji and the Lie of Peace since I like the theme it represents. Shinji has passed the point of no return. He has proven himself beyond the shadow of doubt, and from now on his actions will be watched and evaluated anywhere he goes. A prodigy, a warrior, a figure of fear and renown in Wizarding World, enough to be noticed by open-minded members of Moonlit World as well. He has fulfilled his previous goal of becoming someone special - and that means that the strife in his life will grow without end.

Good thing that "Shinji Matou" is ready, right?
    Last edited by Malorius; March 13th, 2019 at 07:34 AM.

Hmm I wanted to do a large refection of the past year but I have been distracted as well as just the monster size of rereading the entire book.. Oh well. I will get this done sometime hopefully before the next book starts.

Anyways, the only title suggestion I dislike heavily is the Civil War one. It certainly fits the next year but it is just a boring title. One that feels to be fairly generic. Not that all titles need to be exciting but it just feels like it is up there to Blah Blah: the Revolution or any of the overused words in video games. Hmmm book name of Matou Shinji: Revolution...oh god it hurts so much!

Enemy within title name is almost as overused generic sounding but almost acceptable to me. Shatter Order almost works for me cause the word Shatter needs to be used more often I think. Thought I think I would prefer Matou Shinji and the Shattered Peace. Or maybe Shattered Serenity, for the alliteration as well as I get to sneak in another sci-fi series reference. I like this version of the title for the double meaning with the lost of peacetime as war breaks out yet also referring to the difficulties of Dragon Shinji passionate nature that causing outbursts.

Price of Victory also scores high with me. I can understand why Malorius might dislike it but I think that is more us having a different viewpoint in the title meaning. I do not read that title name as victory being a sure thing with Shinji, afterall the title is not saying just WHO the victor is here. Someone is going to win and they will pay a deep price. You might win the battle but cause yourself to lose the war. There is such a thing as a hollow victory that costs more to win then its worth.

And there certainly a harsh price in victory that Shinji has found out. Sure he did well in PC but at what cost? His relationship with Luna has been damaged (but not broken). His humanity has been damaged beyond repair. An entire nation/order will be out for his blood (Russians/Templars) now. But that more thinking of the title for what it would have mean for this last year.

PoV title name is more a warning to everyone not just Shinji to that there is a heavy toll to pay for Victory. People WILL die. Relationships will break. Homes will be destroyed. George has paid his own price for power. And frankly given the plans for future books, I think Harry will have to ponder the price of what he is will to pay when his side loses and he has to go messing with Time itself in search for his victory.

Heck, even Fred is currently pondering what price he is willing to pay for him to have any usefulness left to help make this victory possible. Ponder this, Mischa, just like past Shinji did and now Fred, was faced with the shame of not having magic and did a very dangerous deal to regain his magic. Would not Fred do the same at this point?

There is a very hard price for the mere chance of Victory and I think it is a fitting title for more than just Shinji. I already know what Shinji is willing to pay in the name of Sokaris...but it is time for them all to consider what they are willing to pay for their own victories.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    I like Matou Shinji and the Lie of Peace and Matou Shinji and the Shattered Order. Both names just stand out to me.

JP Friend Code
    Price of Victory is a good sounding title, it also fits the book's theme perfectly, since the stakes are higher than ever for a lot of people on all sides, both on a factional and personal level.

Price of Victory as its very premise requires a Victory, with a serious emphasis. I don't feel that our showing at PC should be hailed as such. And I'd like to think that Civil War deserves more attention than an arrogant assumption that we will win, whatever. Basically, it would be a fitting name for the 6th Book if it was intended to deal with the fallout of a war (especially if it escalated to the Europe to worsen its impact on all our activities until the end of the 7th Book or actually held much more personal stakes for Shinji himself). As of now, I just can't feel anything but bemusement from this title.

Shattered Serenity gets my vote thanks to the alliteration though. Good thinking, SL. It sounds better than Lie of Peace while following the same theme.
    Last edited by Malorius; March 14th, 2019 at 06:52 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Interesting. I'm currently in GDC recovery mode, so expect my self-imposed break to last for another week or so. In the meantime:

1) Any characters you want to see more of next year?

2) Any things you don't want to see more of next year?

As a reminder, due to previous votes, Shinji (should he survive) will be getting a most interesting squad of misfits to manage. I'm sure he'll perform admirably dealing with Tohsaka being under him.

I will also be online in a few hours if anyone wants to chat on IRC.

Or I could set up a discord server, I suppose, since that seems popular: https://discord.gg/Hg9F3DW
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; March 25th, 2019 at 12:49 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

I'm sure he'll perform admirably dealing with Tohsaka being under him.
    This can't possibly end badly.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Matou Shinji and the Lie of Peace, it is then.

Since I'm beginning to come off of recovery mode, I think it would be a good idea for me to post something.

When we last left off, Matou Shinji had sworn an Unbreakable Vow to Hold the Line and keep the invaders who were rampaging through Magical London from getting any further than the Atrium of the Ministry.

As you may or may not know, the Atrium is the main reception area of the Ministry of Magic, located 8 levels below ground. It is a long and splendid hall with a dark, polished wood floor, its peacock blue ceiling is inlaid with gleaming gold symbols that move and change like an enormous heavenly noticeboard. The walls on each side of the Atrium have many gilded fireplaces set into them. The Fountain of Magical Brethren stands halfway down the hall.

Visitors to the Ministry of Magic are directed to the security desk, located at the far end of the Atrium, for a search and wand inspection. A set of golden gates stand at one end of the hall, just behind the security desk, through which at least twenty lifts can be accessed, as per the diagram here.

The golden gates have been locked and barricaded, with the lifts themselves disabled - though should someone manage to get through to them, they would be able to either reactivate them or simply climb the service ladder to the side of the shaft.

With that, let us begin...

Choice 1: Before you are taken to the Atrium, Tonks takes you to what seems at first a closet, though once the door is opened, that is proven to be a lie. Within are racks and racks of things like explosive potions, brooms, bags of suspicious-looking powders, wyvenhide robes, and more - it is effectively the armory of the Ministry, newly expanded in anticipation of recruits.

"We're going to get as much out we can, but the rest will have to be destroyed so it doesn't fall into enemy hands," Tonks explained before he could ask. "Might as well let you take whatever you think will help."

Partial list of items:

• 8 belts laden with 6 Explosive Potion "grenades" each
    • Several crates of Chocolate
    • Auror Robes (red wyvernhide)
    • Metal Bucklers, enchanted to reflect spellfire
    • Portable shield platforms
    • Wands of all varieties
    • Magic swords
      • One that oozes strands of darkness
      • One that is wreathed with threads of light
      • One that is simply cold to the touch

• Various Sacks of Powders (Peruvian Darkness and others)
    • 5 Armored "Golems" which can follow basic commands
    • Pouches full of first aid potions.
    • And more...!

What do you take, knowing you can only carry so much - and that every item you grab past the very basics will slow you on the way back to the Atrium? You have 5 minutes before enemy forces arrive.

[ ] The control rods for the golems
    [ ] The explosives - ALL THE EXPLOSIVES
    [ ] Just another wand and some wyvern-hide robes
    [ ] The Peruvian Darkness Powder
    [ ] First Aid Potions to keep yourself in the fight
    [ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; March 29th, 2019 at 08:57 PM.

[X] Plan Nightfall - 1) Grab two control rod and key the two golems (send them to guard the elevators area as last line defense) 1 minute each so 2 minutes; 2) Stuff Peruvian Darkness powder into endless pockets. (and any other basic autograbbed stuff) 1 minute. 4) Fly to Atrium's Security Desk, grab as much paper and shutting off the lights. 1 minute 5) Fly around sprinkling the room with the Peruvian Darkness Powder; 15 seconds 5) Fly/hover up to the ceiling, touching it to earth sense while Shinji makes Ofuda for the remaining time. About 45 seconds.

From there the plan is to use the Peruvian Darkness Powder and the paper to play in the pitch darkness staying mobile and defending with stone pillars. Hopefully the paper will allow us to make some traps as well as flow around the room. I wish we could have activated more than one golem but I think we need the wyvern robes unless Shinji's dragon form is just as good. We have nothing to defend ourselves with. No fusion, no armor for defense without those robes, and no super speed. So I think we have to robe up, but the reason why the robes were worn under the alchemy robes is to minimize Shinji brightness so that he can conceal himself better. Red robes are a issue in that.

Anyway this is my plan on how to best use the time. I am not fully sure if this is a reasonable time frame in actions. And always please feel free to adjust this plan or offer suggestions to modify it. I am not set in stone on this plan but do remember that time is tight. For example it takes maybe 15 seconds to fly back to the atrium and I would rather be in that room when the attack starts.

We can always talk on discord to refine things.

Edit: I have two minutes to gear up and put on robes but that is doable in one minute. But pointed out that the robes don't do much for Shinji other than a little M.Res that he already has fair amount of cause Dragon. And if he transforms into Dragon it will go up. The robes gives resistance to slashing/piercing but assuming the giants are bashing that not going to do much. So I will split those two minutes to adding another golem and spending a minute making Ofuda and sprinkling the dust. We could forego that second golem for more Ofuda. I have time checked this plan's actions with Alf so it should be good on that end.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; April 2nd, 2019 at 02:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    [x] Plan Nightfall.

Specify the ofuda we crate, and [X] Nightfall will be ideal

Iirc we considered 10 ℅flash, 20℅binding and 70℅ flow. Also, no terraforming for some reason.
    Last edited by Malorius; April 4th, 2019 at 01:19 AM.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    [x]Plan Nightfall

Just throwing these questions out here for comments from people. We can make around 30 ofuda in our 45 seconds. That not going to go far if we throw them around in mass. Most of these need to be flow if we want to stay mobile since we have little protection otherwise. Considering that we will only have a few ofuda of any other type is there any ofuda type that we should have like 5 of? I am thinking Bind.

Also the two golems can after active move up to 4 of the Shield platforms into the Atrium where they will active and cause a small shield barrier wall that people can use as cover. This might be a good addition that I plan to add to Plan Nightfall. But the issue is that enemies can use them too so that might not fully be a good thing. We could place a few of our precious ofuda on the shields to act as traps for anyone not Shinji coming over and using them. Like bind them so they can be taken care of.Anyone got thoughts here?

Edit: Plan refinement

[X] Plan Nightfall - 1) Grab two control rod and key the two golems (send them to guard the elevators area as last line defense) 1 minute each so 2 minutes; 2) Stuff Peruvian Darkness powder into endless pockets. (and any other basic autograbbed stuff) 1 minute. 4) Fly to Atrium's Security Desk, grab as much paper and shutting off the lights. 1 minute 5) Fly around sprinkling the room with the Peruvian Darkness Powder; 15 seconds 5) Fly/hover up to the ceiling, touching it to earth sense while Shinji makes Ofuda for the remaining time. About 45 seconds.

Supplement: Golems will after activation equip either the light or dark sword. And go place one shield platform in the atrium on the elevator side of the room. Shinji will spend during his making ofuda stage 3 bind and 1 flash ofuda on the each of the shield platforms to act as trips if the enemy uses them. The rest of the ofuda (22) will be flow ofuda, two of which is being placed on the golems.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; April 5th, 2019 at 09:36 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Choice 1: [X] Plan Nightfall

Choice 2: What enemies will you prioritize?

[ ] The inferi - they are the most numerous, and have the uncaring strength of the undead
    [ ] Giants - there are only a few of them, but their resistance to spells and their brute strength makes them dangerous indeed
    [ ] Enemy wizards - they may be frail, and you may be able to resist most of their spells, but what few you can't are deadly...
    [ ] Don't choose a priority - attack whatever appears before you

Choice 3: Where you be when the attack begins?

[ ] At the security desk, smarmily asking if they have an appointment
    [ ] On the ceiling above the visitor's entrance, all the better to launch a surprise attack
    [ ] Hidden up one of the chimneys
    [ ] Standing atop the Fountain of Magical Brethren
    [ ] Pretending to be one of the figures in the Fountain of Magical Brethren
    [ ] (write-in)

Blog Entries
    Choice 2 is either Giants are Wizards for me. Both have the potential for most damage, Giants would make short work of the Golems if engaging in one on one, and have the most potential to open a breach (since physical strength bypass protective enchantments). Wizards can potentially kill or incapacitate Shinji / call reinforcements / come up with countermeasures / order undead around.

As for undead they are still dangerous in number but they are have to follow commands from Wizards. Without them they will stick with their last order.

I really like the idea of greeting the enemy in a casual fashion but then again I like the idea of a surprise attack.

[X] On the ceiling above the visitor's entrance, all the better to launch a surprise attack.

Fair point.
    Last edited by Daiki; April 6th, 2019 at 11:56 PM.

[X] Giants - there are only a few of them, but their resistance to spells and their brute strength makes them dangerous indeed

Ideally kill everything but for me I feel like the giants are the big issue in keeping this area intact. Yeah Wizards will tear the place up but not like the giants will. And I suspect the golems will have an easier time against the wizards than the Giants.

[X] On the ceiling above the visitor's entrance, all the better to launch a surprise attack

Look I love the sitting at desk backtalking option or the write in modified option as much as the rest of us but...There is no point in a tactic situation to do that plus the room is magically dark at the moment, they will not see this action. Only hear it. So what is the point? We have 30 minutes we need to survive let's not get cocky.