Page 53 of 299 FirstFirst ... 3434851525354555863103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 5975

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Broken Chains (HP/FSN CYOA)

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Omida's Avatar
    “I, uh, that wasn’t what it sounded like,” he backpedaled, looking very much like a cornered animal. “I just mean that…”
    No need to be shy Draco...

‘And so a generation is lost to war, and our way of life dies. To thunderous applause…’
    Is that Revenge of the Sith reference or is that just me that I jumped into it with this wording?

Also, Wizarding Britain really begins to feel like totalitarian state. After OWLs army or trade. Closed borders from foreigners. Heavy militarization. Us vs them.

[X] Minerva McGonagall

I am now really curious just how much Britain's descent into insanity hurts dear professor.

[X] Tohsaka Rin

Wow. I've been gone awhile. Um.

Well. I think I'll vote

[X] Touko

[X] Zouken

I miss the Nasuverse, to be honest. And Touko. Broody mentor characters give me life. Also dying to know about gramps.

Glad to see a new chapter, too. And Pansy, omg. An excess of kawaii for her and Draco.

Ah, Luna's starting to worry me. That little exchange with Draco didn't say much, but I hope I read between the lines well enough.

Also, love the themes of choice and legacy. It's all I seem to read about lately.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omida View Post
    Is that Revenge of the Sith reference or is that just me that I jumped into it with this wording?
    I've been known to drop a SW reference every now now and then. And is this year not Matou Shinji and Broken Chains​?

Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    I've been known to drop a SW reference every now now and then. And is this year not Matou Shinji and Broken Chains​?
    One mystery solved, then. Sith credo for the win.

But man, did Lucius win life big time this time around. No sign of his master, Dumbledore dead and he got granted, ahem, Emergency Powers and is basically Minister for life. And now, he can shape Britain to his liking, especially thanks to parties unknown slaughtering wizarding population and in panic giving him chance to amass even more power.

Also, thanks to this chapter we got to see just how bleak Britain has it.

Half of its population is dead.

Yeah, it may seems small when you look at the numbers, but just substitute Wizarding Britain with muggle country. Even Great Britain for it to really hit. And while some may take it as panicking wizards, the theory that continental Europe would really like to see British to fall because consequences of their past politics left them isolated feels chilling.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omida View Post
    And now, he can shape Britain to his liking, especially thanks to parties unknown slaughtering wizarding population and in panic giving him chance to amass even more power.
    To a large degree, yes, though there are some practical limitations due to the necessities of war and politics. With the population so sharply reduced, he probably won't be passing any anti-Muggleborn legislation, since he needs every recruit for the army he can get, and finds the support of the Boy-Who-Lived invaluable for recruitment and keeping up morale. His policies are likely to be less oriented towards the agenda of the "Purebloods" and more focused on a Britain First platform, that is, building Britain into a power to be reckoned with - a power that he can then wield against enemies foreign and domestic.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; April 11th, 2016 at 04:28 AM.

Thanks for the chapter. As for votes, I'm guessing Sion isn't an option for a write-in? I don't think we've ever seen her point of view, and it would be interesting to see what she gets up to when Shinji isn't involved. Assuming she's not an option:

[X] Zouken because he's a major enemy; he probably won't show back up for a while, but he's immensely strong compared to us, and we made him want to kill us even before his house and family were destroyed because of our actions. Finding out what he's up to seems like a good idea.

And [X] Snape - normally, I'd be all for Touko, but Snape is actually doing important behind-the-scenes stuff, and it would be nice to hear about what that stuff is. Touko's just teaching Rin, which I find comparatively unimportant. If Sion is an option, this vote goes to her.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apsalar View Post
    As for votes, I'm guessing Sion isn't an option for a write-in? I don't think we've ever seen her point of view, and it would be interesting to see what she gets up to when Shinji isn't involved.
    Sadly, you are correct, she is not an option, at least not for this book. Now, by the final book, which may end up being Matou Shinji and the Sum of All Fears, this may change, if certain conditions are met...
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; April 11th, 2016 at 10:21 AM.

if certain condition are met...
    Would these conditions be of the "Shinji has proven himself worthy of her" sort?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apsalar View Post
    Would these conditions be of the "Shinji has proven himself worthy of her" sort?
    There are a number of pre-requisites involved, which involve piquing Sion's curiosity, proving useful to her, and continuing to prioritize and protect her interests. In the past few years, Shinji has not been doing badly in that regard, as he has helped her to obtain a skilled Vice-Director, qualified for the Potions Competition, and has not disclosed his involvement with her to Zouken - or to anyone else who doesn't already know.

What I will say is that he does need to continue to grow in his abilities so he will not be a liability, as Sum of All Fears will be the culmination of all the plot threads to date, including both the Holy Grail War and the subject of Sion's personal quest...
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; April 11th, 2016 at 10:36 AM.

o

To be fair, this is the year for Star Wars reference. Alf started this year by giving us a star wars crawl intro.

As for the slow breakdown of the British Wizard World freedom, I have to say that one action that makes me abandon all hope for them, is a small action almost barely mention in this chapter. The censorship of all mail in and out of the Hogwarts. Its a first step to full censorship of all communication. At this point a family head can not send a private letter to their own heir without the government reading it.

The worst part about Harry's speech (good job by the way Alf) and McGonagall reaction to it, is that her disappointment with Harry is caused by us. We voted Harry into making that speech, not directly but by voting to have Harry take up the role and other past votes. It is one thing to watch the Republic fall in Star Wars to thunderous applause and another knowing that you the reader/viewer had a hand in it.

The lost of one year of schooling by joining the army or going into a trade will have large effects on the education of the British wizard world. They already missing the option of a college level schooling or elementary schooling and now they have cut one more year of education. The people who do not join the army will just be going into support jobs for the army, by making potions, brooms, armor, for the troops so its not like any one has the option to not be apart of the coming war.

[x] Rin
    [x] Touko

Rin because I think we need to see what is going on with her after she basically throw herself at Shinji and was rejected. I do not think that voting Rin here would led to a scene of her simply training with no real insights. And combine with Shinji visited his house from our earlier vote and voting for Rin here, we might unlock a scene with the Shinji and Rin together. We need to help resolve the akward tenson that two likely will have with each other sooner rather than later.

Touko because I would like to see what she can make of Rin and further insight from Touko is always welcome.

There are a number of pre-requisites involved, which involve piquing Sion's curiosity, proving useful to her, and continuing to prioritize and protect her interests. In the past few years, Shinji has not been doing badly in that regard, as he has helped her to obtain a skilled Vice-Director, qualified for the Potions Competition, and has not disclosed his involvement with her to Zouken - or to anyone else who doesn't already know.

What I will say is that he does need to continue to grow in his abilities so he will not be a liability, as Sum of All Fears will be the culmination of all the plot threads to date, including both the Holy Grail War and the subject of Sion's personal quest...
    Considering the nature of Night of Wallachia, I can only hope we are still going down that road as managing politics in Magical Britain is likely to affect our standing with her, considering her desire to protect 'the greater good' so to speak. Hopefully we can still prevent what insanity is brewing in the Ministry, but we might need to start avoiding the impartial position we have been taking on that front for the last few years and actually take action. Influencing Harry is the right way to go as of the moment, I think, considering his own position and the lack of our own. Having an inside man will be helpful if we decide to play that way.

As for the choices:

A large part of me says that we ought to find out what is going on with Zouken now especially since we're unlikely to ever run into him with our current reputation levels. Of course, that same part of me is telling me that there's little point in doing so considering he is unlikely to be relevant to us in any way unless we somehow find ourselves back in Fuyuki or he suddenly manages to find a way to leave. At the same time I recall that Alf bringing something like that as an option is certainly indicative of development on that front, and as we have been following the pattern of taking opponents' viewpoints as a means of gaining information from the meta-game front, we could benefit from doing this as well.

[x] - Matou Zouken

As for the second choice, I find myself looking at Rin, Touko, and Snape. Rin mostly to check on her development under both the tower and Touko from her perspective considering how she was still rather unstable when we last met her. Touko on the other hand will have access to far more Moonlit World information and we may or may not get information regarding Sion since our master works with the Directer on occasion as well as some of our potential enemies such as Zouken. Now Snape is more to get updates on what is going on in the factions dealing with both the World of Day and the World of Moonlight such as updates regarding the movements of Fenrir Greyback and the remains of Tom Riddle.

Ultimately, the option to choose here will have to follow what matters most to us right now and in the future. Do we need information on the war-front on Britain? Do we need information in our potential opponents in the Moonlit World? Do we need to see how we're doing with on of our more personal investments and get a few possible insights with what she might notice that we haven't.

I think I'll have to go with [x] - Touko on this one, as we need to get a better idea of what's going on while we're currently tied up with things in Mahoutokoro and we've just recently gotten some information on the state of Wizarding Britain through the most recent interludes. Information is power, and it's best we capitalize on the opportunities while we can.

On a side note, Alf, would it be possible to also ask if we can get the thoughts of Sion regarding the recent developments in Britain?

And, if I may ask - as with Robert dead I find it unlikely this will come up anymore: What was the deal between him and Penelope? The first two books certainly felt like it hinted at something going on between the two of them at some point. Was there? And is Penelope alive? I am unsure if I can recall her ever dying int he previous chapters, but she has not been mentioned since.
    Last edited by mr_Trickster; April 11th, 2016 at 12:15 PM.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Tatari and a Grail at the same time, that'll be a mindfuck waiting to happen. Though the two do mesh surprisingly well together. Where better for a bunch of murder rumors to spawn than in a secret battle royal between people who don't care for casualties only secrecy.

Anyways,
    [x] Touko. Always Touko. Unless Sion is an option.
    [x] Rin. I just don't want to hear more of the wizarding worlds stupidity and jingoism.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

As much as I want to see Luna, I just know how's she - god's in his heaven, all's right with the world thing as usual.
    So yes,
    [x] Rin
    [x] Touko

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_Trickster View Post
    On a side note, Alf, would it be possible to also ask if we can get the thoughts of Sion regarding the recent developments in Britain?
    Not directly. Certain viewpoints may include relevant information as to her thoughts, but only second-hand.

And, if I may ask - as with Robert dead I find it unlikely this will come up anymore: What was the deal between him and Penelope? The first two books certainly felt like it hinted at something going on between the two of them at some point. Was there? And is Penelope alive? I am unsure if I can recall her ever dying int he previous chapters, but she has not been mentioned since.
    Robert and Penelope were in fact, involved for a time, prior to the events of Philosopher's Stone. They were each other's first love, but despite a fairly intense attraction, things didn't quite work out for them, given that he was a bit too much of a free spirit/prankster at heart and she was far more inclined to play by the rules, which proved to be a major strain on the relationship - and ended up being a bit of an impasse. So their relationship ended, though they remained friends who were perhaps a bit more fond of each other than simple friends should be, and who had to work together in close proximity, given that both were appointed as prefects.

Eventually, Penelope started dating Percy, who was more compatible with her, temperament-wise, a development that occurred during Philosopher's Stone, though it took Robert longer to become seriously interested in anyone else - he'd had a small crush on Tonks when she was at Hogwarts, given that she was a troublemaker herself, though it wasn't until the Kobayashi Maru that he really caught her attention - or really had a chance to act on it.

As for where she is now, Penelope is still alive - and still involved with Percy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Tatari and a Grail at the same time, that'll be a mindfuck waiting to happen. Though the two do mesh surprisingly well together. Where better for a bunch of murder rumors to spawn than in a secret battle royal between people who don't care for casualties only secrecy.
    Once upon a time I tried to make a time-line for crossover story idea utilizing both Tsukihime canon and Fate canon. If both series exist within the single timeline, then Hologram Summer (Melty Blood game and thus, TATARI's reappearance) takes place in the very summer before 5th Holy Grail War (in the winter). That's one loaded year.

[X] Tohsaka Rin
    [X] Matou Zouken

I really need to check this thread more often, I've missed so many questions.
    start of Shinji's intense training!
    Start? Isn't this like almost his whole life? He is basically magical Batman in making. Also, with the amount of the hard work he is putting in his training and his boundless loyalty to Shion he is practically Hufflepuff. And he had this house blocked.

Back to the current question:
    [x] Severus Snape - to see what's going on the "Voldemort's plans" side of things.
    [x] Matou Zouken - to see what's going on the "Holy Grail War preparations" side of things.

[x] Aozaki Touko
    [x] Matou Zouken

The thing I find myself curious about is how these events would play out if Dumbledore was still alive. Assuming the attack still happened, what shape would the country take in the confusion? Would he be able to move things in a more positive direction, or would he fail to calm the anger and grief people were experiencing?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    George Weasley and Snape.

Not directly. Certain viewpoints may include relevant information as to her thoughts, but only second-hand.
    Well then, my votes are changing to [X] Zouken and [X] Touko, the two that are most likely to have been in contact with her. Unless Ilya is an option.