Page 181 of 205 FirstFirst ... 81131171176179180181182183186191 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,620 of 4095

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Broken Chains (HP/FSN CYOA)

  1. #3601
    [X] Pansy speaking to Lockhart about...various matters
    [X] A Meeting of the Council of the Host

    These two things I believe are the best options to keep the subplots moving. IE Seeing what Lockhart is doing in preparation for next year's focus as well as a report on the political situation at Durmstrange as Hogwarts stirs trouble by trying to break the deal that they agreed to about the memory wipes.

    Honestly I would like to see George and Pansy fight, CtF with Ron or the Pansy interacting with Allerita but they seem like at the end of the day not important overall. Fun moments but side events to the bigger issues that are boiling under the surface.

  2. #3602
    I agree with Skull Leader. As much as I'd like to see how our life debtor has improved or how far George's humanity has slipped, I think it is best to get a handle on what we might expect when we return to Hogwarts.

    [X] Pansy speaking to Lockhart about...various matters
    [X] A Meeting of the Council of the Host

  3. #3603
    The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,303
    US Friend Code
    042446355
    Blog Entries
    25
    267: [x] Pansy and Alleria relaxing in the hot springs; [x] Pansy speaking to Lockhart about...various matters; [x] A Meeting of the Council of the Host

    Since I'm in a very good mood today, I'll grant an extra choice to you all - in addition to Pansy speaking with her Mentor, you may also see both a meeting of the Council and Pansy and Alleria in the hot springs.




    Choice 268: Speaking of Shinji and failures, a more practical level, since the survival challenge that Shinji and his team are going through is overnight, will Shinji be sleeping at all?

    [ ] Yes, it is good to be well-rested - they'll take turns on watch
    [ ] No - its only one night, he may as well be an extra pair of eyes

    Choice 269: In speaking with Luna, she mentions that to her, home isn't about where she lives. Its not the land that's important, or the language people speak, but the people themselves. Her friends and family. Where they are, that is where home is, not the land in which she was born, or of which she happens to be a citizen.

    She mentions of course, that in the event Shinji does well in the Championship, it is quite likely the Ministry will ask him to stay and help them make the nation great again.

    She is curious what Shinji would do in that case?

    [ ] Stay in Britain
    [ ] Leave and go to Japan
    [ ] Leave and go elsewhere
    [ ] He hasn't decided yet
    "The palaces of kings are built upon the ruins of the bowers of paradise." - Thomas Paine

  4. #3604
    堪忍は一生の宝 Daiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,975
    Blog Entries
    6
    [x] No - its only one night, he may as well be an extra pair of eyes.

    CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!

    Had it been a longer period of time, like in the first trial (which will last days, if not a couple of weeks) I may have opted for the other choice. All can I hope for is that Shinji didn't physically exhaust himself during the day. Also, we have some Felix left that we can use here. And sleeping under influence might be a waste.

    Second vote is a bit more tricky, what to do...

  5. #3605
    Quote Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
    [x] No - its only one night, he may as well be an extra pair of eyes. CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!
    Do I have to remind you of that wonderful watch a few years back where a tired Shinji decided to read a text book in a dangerous forest? Now this time Shinji is recovering from alcohol poisoning, and a hangover while being in a even more dangerous forest, and you want him to just power thru it?

    I can not see this going well...maybe if he did not just experience the worst night of his life, he could do it. But we have better, safer options like Zelkova taking watch, or the other two people. Splitting the load here is far safer way of handling this. You risk your life and the people around you powering thru...as Ayaka has pointed out to Shinji in the past.

    Powering thru feels like a Phelen thing to do...

    [X] Yes, it is good to be well-rested - they'll take turns on watch

    Second choice is far more tricky. No I would never vote for a deal with the ministry that requires loyalty oaths. Sorry I just think that one should always have the right to protest the powers of authority if needed. But at the same time I do not want to abandon Britain fully. Especially the Lockhart faction. But any final choice on what to do after the civil war is likely two books away.

    I don't suppose that Shinji could hint to Luna that his patron might request/offer that will need to be factored in beyond just the ministry. At this point Shinji should at least talk openly (well as much as he can) to Luna.

    For now [X] Leave and go elsewhere

    Interpretation of this answer is that Shinji is willing to go anywhere and learn anything if given the option to. See the world, learn rare magic etc. Japan is the default location for him to fall back for say the summer and beyond if no good offers happen at the end of the championship. But if someone makes a better offer, or another place opens up, Shinji should heavily consider it over Britain.

    But most roads will lead Shinji back to Britain in the end...
    Last edited by Skull Leader; February 10th, 2018 at 12:01 AM.

  6. #3606
    [X] Yes, it is good to be well-rested - they'll take turns on watch
    [X] He hasn't decided yet

  7. #3607
    [x] Yes, it is good to be well-rested - they'll take turns on watch

    Don't think to push ourselves right after manly picnic is a good idea.

    [x] Stay in Britain

    Yes, Luna is ready to abandon the country for us - but let's not force her without pressing need.

  8. #3608
    堪忍は一生の宝 Daiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,975
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    Do I have to remind you of that wonderful watch a few years back where a tired Shinji decided to read a text book in a dangerous forest? Now this time Shinji is recovering from alcohol poisoning, and a hangover while being in a even more dangerous forest, and you want him to just power thru it?
    I find it actually aggravating to fall asleep since he is likely to not wake up in time when an attack happens. If it's only to catch about a couple hours of sleep, it's not worth it, as he will feel sluggish when he awakes. On top of that, I'm willing to bet that Luna, who was worried sick about Shinji, will opt for a relaxing activity, maybe even recommend rest during the time allowed before the mock trial.

    You risk your life and the people around you powering thru...as Ayaka has pointed out to Shinji in the past.
    You also risk your life and the people around you by lowering your guard. Both options run the risk of backfiring. It's only a matter of when the attack happens. For example; who says you would be able to awake the sleeping champion in time when things go South?
    Last edited by Daiki; February 10th, 2018 at 02:08 AM.

  9. #3609
    [x] sleep, take turns
    [X] not stay in britain

  10. #3610
    The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,303
    US Friend Code
    042446355
    Blog Entries
    25
    Choice 268: [x] Yes, it is good to be well-rested - they'll take turns on watch
    Choice 269: [x] Not sure yet - but probably not staying in Britain




    Choice 270: For the survival challenge, there is also the matter of what kind of role Zelkova should take, and how visible or independent he should be during the event. For Shinji, there are a few possible options - all of which reflect ways he has used the kodama in the past, though given the nature of the island and the abilities of his competitors, he finds himself unsure which to go with.

    Certainly, he could keep Zelkova with him (and unfused), effectively extending his own ability to look for ingredients or sense danger, while benefiting from the fact that he would have an extra set of eyes nearby, who could see through most disguises and glamours. Still, at least one person (not including Lestrange, whose sword he knew about) had demonstrated that she was aware of Zelkova when he was around in his spirit form, and keeping the kodama close to him had some drawbacks as well...

    He could fuse with the kodama, as soon as practical (e.g. out of sight of his competitors), though that meant possibly revealing some of his abilities to his temporary team-mates, and he wasn't sure how comfortable he was with that. Fusion, of course, granted him access to a tier of power he could not otherwise access, boosting his speed, strength, magical power, and resistance to the energy of others, while granting him a firsthand awareness of the patterns of the world. There was no doubt that his fusion form was his trump card - though of course, as powerful as he was in fusion, he could only be in a single place at once.

    He could send Zelkova off on his own to scout out the area and report back, an advantage that he didn't think other team would share - except perhaps Sajyou-senpai's, since he was sure her familiar Yatagarasu was somewhere about, even if he hadn't seen it during his time on the isle. Of course, in this case, in case something happened, he wouldn't have his familiar's powerful defensive abilities to fall back on - or fusion - for that matter, if his familiar had not yet returned.

    He could send Zelkova off on his own to harass and sabotage one of his rivals for the duration of the challenge, causing convenient "accidents" and the like, though this would mean he probably wouldn't be receiving much intelligence about the rest of his competitors, and that again, if his team was attacked, he would be unable to fuse.

    Alternatively, he could assign Zelkova to guard one of his teammates (such as the brewer) at all times, providing an extra layer of protection to whoever was in charge of making their team's potion - as it wouldn't be him, though he might have to explain this to him or her....

    'Or maybe I'm over thinking this...' he thought. Since he was part of the only group of three, he supposed he could simply leave Zelkova with Luna and go into the challenge without the safety net of fusion or the bonuses to his perception or defense abilities. In theory, it should be safe enough, and not demonstrating talents he wasn't capable of alone would make sure that during the actual competition, no one would know he had such abilities.

    Time was running out - which would it be?

    [ ] Leave Zelkova with Luna - go into the survival challenge alone
    [ ] Keep Zelkova close, as per usual
    [ ] Fuse as soon as possible
    [ ] Have Zelkova defend the camp / the brewer
    [ ] Have Zelkova scout the area and keep track of the enemy
    [ ] Assign Zelkova to harry and sabotage the efforts of an opposing team (choose the team)
    "The palaces of kings are built upon the ruins of the bowers of paradise." - Thomas Paine

  11. #3611
    Well this is a rather important choice that in *no* way could possible doom us in the future. This will likely draw some debate and discussion for us to come to some kind of game plan here.

    Well at least we can say that any of these plans have their own merit that worth picking, unless we go completely crazy and go with something like Sabotage Team Rachelle. Zelkova will not live to see another day if he tried to approach those two in a hostile manner. But for the most part none of them sound like a horrible horrible idea right off the bat. But they all could turn sour if the wrong events happen.

    What were the other teams again for the purpose of sending Zelkova? That is if Shinji even knows of course.

    I suspect that if we take Zelkova at all, Shinji's team will find out and understand Shinji's abilities. They are just both too familar with Mahoutokoro skills and the sprite side of things. Lucky they are professionals that are not really going to gun for Shinji ever. In fact, Shinji's skills to them might open doors with them and Elesa down the road in the PC or the beyond.

    Not having Zelkova seems like a receipt for disaster as well as for Shinji to be considered a large burden to his teammates. But it would stop Mischa or the boys from finding out more...if Shinji lives.

    I am leaning towards Fusion or have Zelekova defend the camp/brewer. Defending the brewer sounds the most professional choice in the end, to gain points with the other two, but it would also one of the least effective power gains if Shinji is a way from the camp. The other two can not use Zelkova to his full abilities like Shinji can. Zel would be likely be only used to surprise an attacking enemy long enough for the brewer to get in a good shot. But that can mean the difference of defeat or victory.

    I will hold off until tomorrow evening to vote on this.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; February 12th, 2018 at 02:29 AM.

  12. #3612
    The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,303
    US Friend Code
    042446355
    Blog Entries
    25
    Based on each competitor's stated preferences and known abilities, the Committee has split the competitors into the following teams for the survival exercise:

    Rachelle Lestrange & Rachelle Sondrol
    Olu Akindele & Libatius Müller
    Ramona Ahgeak, Ka'aukai Kapule & Shinji Matou
    Ayaka Sajyou & Elesa Labelle
    Parambir Agarwal & Mischa Stukov
    "The palaces of kings are built upon the ruins of the bowers of paradise." - Thomas Paine

  13. #3613
    堪忍は一生の宝 Daiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,975
    Blog Entries
    6
    [x] Keep Zelkova close, as per usual.

    For the simple reason that Zelkova is much more useful when paired with Shinji. Separated they can still do alright, but I would rather not have them being targeted separately. Strength in numbers (and fusion) and all that. Sending him in on his own either for scouting or sabotage could backfire if he gets captured or worse. It's better to have him close at hand, especially if we're sleeping.

    I agree than keeping the brewer and potion safe is essential. But we can address that directly if we use ofuda for warping around, traps, boundary fields and other defensive maneuvers.

    Survival first. We will have to deal with the fact that he revealed his hand if it comes to that. There's no point in hiding your abilities if it ends with you unable to participate in the real competition because you got seriously crippled during a mock test.

  14. #3614
    [x] Keep Zelkova close, as per usual

  15. #3615
    [X] Have Zelkova defend the camp / the brewer

    After some thinking, I think that option uses Zelkova in a useful way without risking him on a separate mission or showing him off in front of others. If anything, an attacker will think he is the brewer's familiar (if they do not already know better) and not associate it with Shinji. There is a trade off on the brewer knowing about him but I don't think that is a very bad idea. Ramona likely senses Zel if he hidden around Shinji anyway.

    And in case of an emergency or an known dangerous activity is about to be taken by Shinji, he can likely flow jump back to base and grab Zelkova. That won't stop Shinji getting caught with his pants down but it still allows more flexibility than sole missions will.

  16. #3616
    The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,303
    US Friend Code
    042446355
    Blog Entries
    25
    [x] Keep Zelkova close, as per usual




    Choice 271:
    On entering the forest, everything feels...heavy, as if the world is exerting an extra degree of pressure on everything. The feeling of life and energy is stronger here than almost anywhere else Shinji has ever known. This place is old and powerful, a relic of the past hidden in the present. Here, he knows, his magic will be more potent - but so might whatever flora and fauna has grown in these conditions.

    'Are you feeling this too, Zelkova?'

    'I am, Master. It is pleasant, is it not? Hearing the whispers of the trees, and the quiet patterns of their echoes in the very land itself. What are your orders?'

    Defense. Finding a suitable place to set up camp would be a good thing, since they'd need time to establish defenses and fortify a position so to prevent falling afoul of the wildlife - or of unscrupulous competitors willing to do anything to win.

    "So, it appears we are working together, Matou," Ka'aukai Kapule said as they walked. "Ramona I know, and have worked with before, but you are something of a mystery. The youngest Champion. I am a scout and forager by inclination, while Ramona prefers a more defensive style, as that better suits her skills. What of you?"

    "Either is fine," Shinji remarked. "Though I am more of a fighter than a brewer, so if you can help it, don't put me in charge of making the group's potion."

    "I can handle that much, so long as we have a fortified camp," Ramona noted. "In fact, I think locating a suitable place should be our first priority."

    "I would prioritize gathering reagents and ingredients, setting up camp only when we finish. Committing to a camp site does tie us down to a single location, after all, which we will then have to defend," the Champion of Nu'utea Kohu pointed out. "I would rather us have our forces together. What of you, Champion Matou?"

    "Find a campsite, but gather materials as we look for a good place," Shinji replied. "Staying on the move might help at first, but I don't want to be caught unaware when I'm tired towards the end of the night."

    "...ah, from what I hear, you did have quite a night, didn't you?" the Polynesian commented, to which Shinji shook his head.

    "I don't really want to talk about that right now."

    "As you will. Are there things you would like to see in a campsite?" the youth asked.

    "A wiggentree," Shinji responded immediately. "If they grow here, that is," he amended.

    "A wiggentree?" Ramona repeated.

    "Its a kind of tree that protects those near it from Dark Creatures," the boy explained. "Native to Europe. I remember that during my training, I was taught that having one of those around was invaluable."

    "Such a thing would be useful, eliminating some of the usual protections we would need to emplace. However, those who know of such trees may well search for them as well - possibly fighting over them. We may be better served looking for a site without one of these Wiggentrees. Somewhere...hidden."

    "Whichever you choose doesn't matter to me," Ramona remarked. "Though I would prefer something with ruins about, if at all possible."

    "Ruins?" Shinji echoed. "Why?"

    "Places with history make it easier for me to evoke my abilities."

    What does Shinji suggest?

    [ ] Look for Ruins
    [ ] Look for a Wiggentree
    [ ] Look for somewhere away from the beaten path - a hidden cave or such.
    [ ] Ask Zelkova his opinion

  17. #3617
    [x] Look for Ruins

    As Ramona is one in charge of brewing, boosting her is first priority. That leaves us more detectable, yes, but I doubt convential hiding will help against spiritual- and witchcraft users.

  18. #3618
    For this trial, I'm much more worried about danger from the environment and wildlife. The more aggressive teams are probably Müller/Akindele and Stukov/Agarwal. Müller is very observant and would probably let his competition be so he can figure out who the real potionmaking threats are, while Agarwal would probably be the scout/forager of his team and values fairness.

    As for the potions, we have a good shot of winning since Ahgeak had specific training by the previous champion and we're the only team of three.
    Team Rachelle and Müller/Akindele are also well positioned, while Sajyou has a handicap with Labelle and Stukov/Agarwal aren't as good of a pair.


    [ ] Look for Ruins
    We know where ruins are on the island and this will enable a better potion from Ramona. We may run into a chimera (and Labelle) or other strong beast that is drawn to places with history.

    [ ] Look for a Wiggentree
    I think that our research team would've come across this in the archives if they grew in substantial enough numbers on the island.

    [ ] Look for somewhere away from the beaten path - a hidden cave or such.
    This would help avoid other champions, but not wildlife. This option would presumably have better access to ingredients than ruins.

    [X] Ask Zelkova his opinion
    This would possibly show more of our hand, but give us better data on the options.
    Last edited by Perverse Transcriptase; February 18th, 2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Changed vote

  19. #3619
    堪忍は一生の宝 Daiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,975
    Blog Entries
    6
    [x] Ask Zelkova his opinion.

    I would also lean towards ruins, but that would depend on the location.

    Remember all those places where people died horribly during previous runs? Imagine the only available ruins are right on one of those spots...

    Asking Zelkova, who personally looked into that, as well as being our personal detection device, definitely wouldn't hurt.

  20. #3620
    [X] Ask Zelkova for his opinion.

    We have him for a reason as well as he did do research. Plus I imagine that he has a preference or place that he works better at, like the tree option.

    I am not leaning towards this ruins option, sure she might be more powerful there but aren't the ruins attracting the big monsters at them. For example the big entrance to the dungeon I thought was a ruin and has a very tough monster guarding it. So I don't think they are all together safe to hang around at.

    I would think a out of the way area would be better if I had to pick one of the three.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •