Page 56 of 299 FirstFirst ... 6465154555657586166106156 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 5975

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Broken Chains (HP/FSN CYOA)

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apsalar View Post
    So Word of God says this book only talks about Potterverse vampires? Nothing about Dead Apostles?
    You might have a passing mention as an example of rare, "natural" necromancers among the vampire race, able to raise the dead and command armies of ghouls, with fearsome regeneration abilities - with many of the arts practiced in this book created in imitation of what such beings can do, from the fragmented records of the past.

Its all lumped in as "vampires" though.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; April 17th, 2016 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    Keep in mind that its not quite about fully raising the dead - to bring souls back from the other side, you'd need the Resurrection Stone. He'd be able to do things like animate corpses, though those would have little in the way of personality, essentially being flesh golems, better deal with ghosts, and such things - and maybe learn a bit about vampires (though keep in mind the Potter brand of vampire is quite mortal, only living to about 200 or so).
    This has me wondering, then; what's the difference between animating a corpse, and, say, one of Hogwarts's suits of armor, since both are composed of inanimate matter? Better yet, how does it differ from animating the Whomping Willow, since it's alive but not fully sentient?

Also, is the Stone the only way to capital R Resurrect the dead, or just the only way in the known Potterverse?

Also also, gotta admit the idea of getting anywhere near Touko in skill trees is really tempting. Go back to the roots.

Tiger Dojo Can't Stop Won't Stop Nephirin's Avatar
    Mail from foreign origin has been restricted. If he sent letters from within the country, it could work, but people would wonder how he managed to send...
    Couldn't Shinji send stuff from Hogwarts? Or is this before he goes to Durmstang stuff? (This back and forth with the choices is kinda confusing.)
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    That's too simple and clear. It definitely can't be the right answer.
    It has to be something that makes no sense at all so we can say that Nasu is wrong.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMagicien View Post
    This has me wondering, then; what's the difference between animating a corpse, and, say, one of Hogwarts's suits of armor, since both are composed of inanimate matter? Better yet, how does it differ from animating the Whomping Willow, since it's alive but not fully sentient?
    Animating and manipulating the bodies of sentient - or formerly sentient - beings is a different branch from simply animating things like the suits of armor. For one thing, the suits tend to have no will to begin with, and so can be imbued with a single, fairly rigid command, a cognitive impulse from the wizard who awakened them - compare to conventional golem creation with the word giving hem power. On the other hand, Inferi and other necromantic creations tend to be much more flexible and intelligent when it comes to obeying orders, and after being raised, can be repurposed to other tasks.

The Whomping Willow and Armor pretty much do one thing - Willow to whack things in its vicinity, Armor to defend. Inferi are capable of much more complex maneuvers, kind of like the Dead.

Also, is the Stone the only way to capital R Resurrect the dead, or just the only way in the known Potterverse?
    The Resurrection Stone is the only known way in the Potterverse to bring a soul back from the Other Side of the World for a time, meaning that you could theoretically resurrect an ancient wizard or fey, but you'd still need some way to bind it to this plane and bring it back to life, say with the Third Magic or the Philosopher's Stone. The only reason the Stone can call them, mind you, is due to the fact that the souls of fey and fey-related beings are not recycled upon death, but journey on to the Other Side of the World (unless they're destroyed, of course).

The Philosopher's Stone can also resurrect a non-wizard from just a soul as well, but you'd have to prevent that soul from getting caught up and recycled somehow, either through acting very quickly, through magecraft to capture the soul, or by somehow becoming a heroic spirit and transcending the cycle of rebirth.

Other Magics like the First or the Fifth can of course, cheat death, but not quite in the same way (the Fifth could move the very concept of someone being killed to a far future point in time, for instance, which would result in a sort of resurrection). Vampirism (DA style) is also a possibility to an extent, but it doesn't revive you as you were.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nephirin View Post
    Couldn't Shinji send stuff from Hogwarts? Or is this before he goes to Durmstang stuff? (This back and forth with the choices is kinda confusing.)
    He could send mail from Hogwarts, but this is before he goes to Durmstrang.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    You have 2 more days to vote. Apologies - its been very hectic around here.

Current Tallies:

Choice 52:

[3] Finish cleaning out the Room of Hidden Things & other things at Hogwarts
    [5] Visiting the British Museum & talking with Mashu
    [2] Reading the tome on Necromancy he acquired from the Black Library
    [0] Nothing. The week is long enough without adding more work for the weekend

Choice 53:

[4] Sending the message to Waiver, with Pulseman.
    [2] (write-in) Give the Marauder's Map and a book on ofuda to Luna. Send a message to Waiver with Pulseman. Ask Mashu and Touko to keep an ear to the ground with regards to the Einzbern, with appropriate gifts as thanks for their efforts.

Switching from the book of Necromancy choice over to [x] - Visiting the British Museum and talking with Mashu to secure the vote.

Alf, arbitrarily, would it be possible to send something to Illya

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_Trickster View Post
    Alf, arbitrarily, would it be possible to send something to Illya
    Yes. You'd send it through the Vanishing Cabinet link to Sion, who would then pass it on to Illya. He will be writing the Director an update about the goings-ons lately anyway...

Yes. You'd send it through the Vanishing Cabinet link to Sion, who would then pass it on to Illya. He will be writing the Director an update about the goings-ons lately anyway...
    Do you happen to have anything you can recommend with regards to what to send?
    Last edited by mr_Trickster; April 23rd, 2016 at 01:23 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Do you happen to have anything you can recommend with regards to what to send?
    No recommendations in that regard. That is up to Shinji, if he wants to send anything at all.

Tiger Dojo Can't Stop Won't Stop Nephirin's Avatar
    Oh, in that case
    [x]Send stuff to Sion and Illya.

But can I vote against giving the Marauder's Map and Ofuda Book to Luna?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    That's too simple and clear. It definitely can't be the right answer.
    It has to be something that makes no sense at all so we can say that Nasu is wrong.

Shinji could send illya a few more games for the gameboy.

Im ok withe the book, but he should keep the map. A lot of sneaking around its gonna be done and Luna invisibiliti is better than his anyway.

And i vote to send Rin a "how are you doing" letter. To let her know ther are no hard feelings.

Oh, in that case
    [x]Send stuff to Sion and Illya.

I concur, but I also still maintain my vote to send something to Waiver.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    I concur, but I also still maintain my vote to send something to Waiver.
    I'd be fine with sending something to Ilya and Sion as well, along with Waver. I just didn't think it was okay to suggest so many different things in one go, so until your tally I didn't really want to touch those.

And I wouldn't mind writing a letter to Rin either, gotta put that mechanic owl to use. That being said Waver still has priority for me, though.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    52: [x] Museum + Mashu
    53: [x] Pulseman to Waver. Ofuda book to Luna. Send stuff to Sion/Ilya.

Any questions so far?

Any questions so far?
    Yes, actually. I only count two votes for giving Luna the book, one person saying they don't mind, and one vote against it. If that's enough to count, that's fine, but it seems low. Also, I counted about the same for giving her the map, but you didn't mention it.

JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Yes, actually. I only count two votes for giving Luna the book, one person saying they don't mind, and one vote against it. If that's enough to count, that's fine, but it seems low. Also, I counted about the same for giving her the map, but you didn't mention it.
    I don't really see the the point of sending the Ofuda book to her either. Having three people pick it up seems a bit overkill and I think she might be able to spend her time better by looking into something new, that being said I'm not strictly against it but I just don't see the point and therefore don't really care aside from her using her time to pick up something Harry and Shinji already do. Also the more people learn it the more appealing it becomes to learn how to counter it. Also seeing how the Luna vote is a bit controversial as only two people voted for it and one against it then couldn't you also count sending a letter to Rin? Granted I'm not exactly unbiased as I did vote for it, but 2 people also voted for it and no one said they wouldn't like it either unlike the Luna one.
    Last edited by Malgos; April 26th, 2016 at 06:05 AM.

I'm personally voting aginst handing the book and map to Luna as well. Thoug if Alf is okay with considering the Sion and Ilya, it's a compromise, I suppose?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The book had three 'for' votes, just like Ilya + Sion, while map only had two 'for' votes, which is pretty low (I do not count against votes). Hence the Map was not mentioned and will be retained by 007 Matou Shinji.

Quote Originally Posted by Malgos View Post
    I don't really see the the point of sending the Ofuda book to her either. Having three people pick it up seems a bit overkill and I think she might be able to spend her time better by looking into something new, that being said I'm not strictly against it but I just don't see the point and therefore don't really care aside from her using her time to pick up something Harry and Shinji already do. Also the more people learn it the more appealing it becomes to learn how to counter it. Also seeing how the Luna vote is a bit controversial as only two people voted for it and one against it then couldn't you also count sending a letter to Rin? Granted I'm not exactly unbiased as I did vote for it, but 2 people also voted for it and no one said they wouldn't like it either unlike the Luna one.
    If the concern was too many people learning ofuda, and that she'd benefit more from learning something different, you needn't worry - Luna isn't going to be learning the standard elemental and sealing/binding stuff that Shinji picked up, or that Harry does. She'll be picking up the basic ability of infusing prana into the paper, but from there, she'll be going in a different direction.

As for Rin, I hadn't really considered it necessary since she still lives at Shinji's Manor in London, and so he'd be seeing her in person when he visits, though I suppose that if she's feeling awkward, she might avoid him, and he could leave her a note.

JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    As for Rin, I hadn't really considered it necessary since she still lives at Shinji's Manor in London, and so he'd be seeing her in person when he visits, though I suppose that if she's feeling awkward, she might avoid him, and he could leave her a note.
    I understand, the reason why I am on board with sending letters is, because even when... No, if he visits it's so rare. Shinji could really use some more people to write to or something. He barely socializes as is so I'm jumping on any vote that addresses that a bit. And it would be nice to hear from Rin from time to time. It's sort of like an interlude, but with way less information as Rin will only let him know what she wants him to. Also if they'd been regularly writing or him visiting to begin with - Maybe Rin would've told him about the issues she had with Waver. Probably not, as Rin isn't the most open person, but I'd like to believe that she "might" have done so, at least to vent some of her anger. So really so far I haven't really felt the impact from the visits. Also I think it's nice to have some letters over the years. Would be great if he could find more people to write to. Also as said I want to put that owl to use.
    Last edited by Malgos; April 26th, 2016 at 08:17 AM.

Okay. Like I was saying, it's fine for you to decide how you want to write your story. It just seemed a little off, so when you inquired about questions, I thought I'd speak up.