Page 178 of 299 FirstFirst ... 78128168173176177178179180183188228278 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,560 of 5975

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Broken Chains (HP/FSN CYOA)

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    258:
    [X] Mention the challenges, including the final challenge vs Harry

[X] Talk about the Philosopher's Stone incident, and the "death" of Sialim Sokaris

[X] General Ambitions - Talk about his dream of being worthy of the greatest alchemist in the world

Choice 259: After the exceedingly long day (8-5 pm) of talking with the press in both the general session as well as in individual interviews, Shinji finds himself very, very tired. He can't just go to his room and turn in for the night either since there is a reception tonight - in two hours. Ordinarily, he'd spend time with Luna or see what she wants to do, but since she is the current press representative for Britain, she is rather busy writing up a draft of her articles.

Thus he has two hours to kill before the reception tonight, so what does he do?

[ ] Check on Slughorn, as he heard the old man collapsed
    [ ] Offer to watch Gabrielle for a bit
    [ ] See what Kaiduka is up to
    [ ] Spend time with (write-in up to two champions)
    [ ] Take a nap
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 21st, 2018 at 08:48 AM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[X] Offer to watch Gabrielle for a bit

While I doubt that picking this will help Shinji recover before the reception, I think we should give Luna the break from watching Gabrielle and allow Luna to write her article without having Gabrielle bouncing off the walls. It is the least we can do for Luna. Maybe if we are super lucky we can then take Gabrielle with us to do something else like visit Kaiduka. He has a soft spot for children and would find Shinji dealing with a small fangirl amusing to say the least.

[x] Check on Slughorn, as he heard the old man collapsed

British champion is somewhat expected to care about British potions master.

Blog Entries
    [x] Spend time with Ramona and Elesa.

If Luna is stuck watching Gabrielle, then I think we should help her out.

Otherwise, spend time with Ramona and Elesa. We've already burnt every possible bridge leading to a happy Slughorn, so I think we should give up on him.

Blog Entries
    Luna is busy hence why she is not an option to hang out with. She doesn't have time to babysit Gabrielle.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Choice 260:
    Shinji bravely volunteers to watch Gabrielle for a while, with Luna giving him a wan smile as he does so, as Gabrielle can be rather full of energy sometimes. She points him towards the CAS facility, where Mister Peverell has been kind enough to watch over Gabrielle during the second part of the press conference (when the Champions were sequestered with individual press reps for more in-depth interviews). The boy from the east, hearing this, pales and quickly makes his way there, where he finds that Tomas has been regaling the young girl with stories about the Stone Cutters, using his considerable magical talents to put on displays of light and sound and color (and transfiguration) to show off the battle against the troll, the clash with Acromantulae, the clash with the tanuki and more, with Gabrielle clapping as - at the moment Shinji walks through the door - Lestrange slays the...somewhat exaggerated form of the tanuki, which resembled, in its final form, nothing so much as a dragon wrought of shadow.

"And speaking of the great chevalier," the automaton quipped, turning to the doorway, where Shinji stood, unable to wrap his head around Tomas apparently being...good with children.

'Just what. How can someone be so cruel, yet so kind to children?'

"Ah, Monsieur le Chevalier," Gabrielle said with a cute blush. "Monsieur Peverell vas telling me of all your adventures! Truly, you are a most gallant chevalier!"

"I...see," Shinji noted, feeling somewhat disoriented by this turn of events. "Only the good things, I hope, Tomas?"

"Of course, Monsieur," Tomas replied with an exaggerated bow, and something much like a smirk. "There are only good things to tell, after all."

The Potions Champion of Hogwarts fought the urge to cradle his head in his hands, as he just knew nothing good would come from this, but it wouldn't do to be impolite in front of a young lady.

"Then I thank you," he allowed himself to say. "Luna appreciates it - and so do I."

"It was no trouble," Tomas replied, his expression going neutral. "The dreams of children are precious yet fragile, after all. And far be it from me to make such a charming little girl cry."

Gabrielle looked from Tomas to Shinji, with her cheeks tinged with pink.

"You are here to take me away, Monsieur le Ma--Monsieur Matou?" the young french witch inquired.

"I am," Shinji replied with a warm smile. "There are a couple hours to fill until the reception tonight, and I thought Mister Peverell might appreciate a chance to...recharge, as it were."

"I don't think I look quite so run down, but your concern is appreciated, Champion," the automaton noted, the set of his mouth making it clear he'd caught Shinji's particular choice of words. "Miss Delacour, it was a pleasure to host such a lovely young woman. One who will grow even more beautiful than her sister, no doubt."

"Non non, zat is--"

"And it is nice to see you taking care of someone who is so...well, who looks up to you as a little sister might to a big brother," Tomas continued, turning to Shinji with a smirk. "It is quite...touching."

Shinji was silent for a second. Two seconds. Ten seconds. Long enough for him not to say anything unwise in front of Gabrielle.

"Thank you for being so generous with your time, even though you are one of the Centre's representatives, and no doubt have other things to do."

"True enough," Tomas allowed with a nod. "Miss Dealcour, Champion Matou, I will see you two tonight at the reception. Until then, try not to involve yourself in anything too troublesome. Though, if you're looking for something to do...the beach is lovely around this time. Or you could check on your Professor. He seemed...unwell, after we had dinner."

With those words, the automaton directs the two outside, with the young girl latching onto Shinji's arm.

"So vere shall we go?" she asked him, her bright eyes looking up at him expectantly.

How does Shinji answer?

[ ] "To visit an old friend and mentor" (Pay a visit to guest housing to see if Kaiduka is around)
    [ ] "To meet one of the other Champions. It's better to have more friends, right?" (write-in a Champion with this option)
    [ ] "To the beach - I hear the view is beautiful around this time of year."
    [ ] "To the wall - how do you feel about a picnic?" (Sitting for a mini-picnic, looking out at the forest)
    [ ] "To visit a Professor of mine. I'd think he'd like to meet you." (visit Slughorn)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 23rd, 2018 at 09:45 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[X] "To the beach - I hear the view is beautiful around this time of year."

Considering the beach is where Shinji found himself near the beginning of this year, its not a bad place to relax at with her. Heck throw in a impromptu lesson on how to dance on water to Gabrielle, and Shinji might actually connect with his little fan a bit so that he is not just some big fake person to her later on, if he is exposed.

I think that Shinji is better off spending time with Gabby without seeking a crutch of having to need someone else be there with him in dealing with her. Thought Kaiduka is a strong second choice for me. But there is something just magical about going to the beach to let Shinji unwind after the long intervals and showing Gabrielle that she too could learn to walk and dance on water.

[x] "To the beach - I hear the view is beautiful around this time of year."

Water dancing is a rather useful skill for a young kunoichi.

How sad is it that I am worried about Shinji being alone with Gabrielle?

Besides the low probability direct danger (e.g. alone with a part-Veela while his mental defenses are weakened due to his tiredness), he may accidentally lead-on another girl (he really can't help himself most of the time) or someone else may see him alone with the girl leading to more tabloids and head-shaking from fellow stone cutters/Mash/everyone (e.g. "Matou, I know you have a weakness for petite blonds but, in Merlin's name, she is just a child!").

I think this is a good chance to get information on other competitors, since the presence of Gabrielle would probably lower their guard or, at least, reflect well on Shinji. Sondrol is a good option, since he knows her moderately well and Lestrange's trust in him would greatly build reputational credit with her and she likely already knows Gabrielle. This is also an opportunity to build relations with the North American faction or break the ice with Sajyou since we've been ignoring her (this could backfire as the presence of Gabrielle may signal full commitment to an alliance with Lestrange and Sajyou seems pretty competitive).

I'll go with meeting up with Sondrol Labelle:
    [X] "To meet one of the other Champions. It's better to have more friends, right?"

Visiting Kaiduka also seems like a safe option, so I'm open to switching to break a tie or avoid Shinji being alone with Gabrielle.
    Last edited by Perverse Transcriptase; January 25th, 2018 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Sondrol to Labelle

Blog Entries
    [x] "To meet Elesa. It's better to have more friends, right?"

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x] "To the beach - I hear the view is beautiful around this time of year."

Chapter 73. Multitudinous Voices

‘What.’

To say that Matou Shinji was surprised by the sight before him as the new challenge the Champions would face together was introduced was something of understatement. He’d known this day would come, had seen it listed on the schedule of events, had thought himself prepared himself for whatever barbs or probes his opponent might employ, but this…

‘Why is Luna…?’

The boy sighed, a shiver running down his spine as he saw none other than Luna Lovegood occupying the seat designated for the representative for the British Press, her silver eyes glancing over the Champions as she bit her lip and jotted something down on a notepad she carried.

‘This isn’t…I thought…wasn’t Slughorn supposed to be here?’

Yes. Officially, the British Press Representative was Horace Slughorn, the Potions Master of Hogwarts, who as Lockhart had informed him, had probably used up quite a few favors in securing the position, after the boy from the east had snubbed him by refusing to give him a ticket to the Potions Championship.

‘Not that I really thought of it as a snub, but…’

A snub it had been all the same, given that it was expected for a Champion to invite a mentor to the Championship, though of course it wasn’t mandatory. Shinji, after all, had given his companion ticket to Luna, since frankly she meant more to him than anyone else in Wizarding Britain, and he’d thought that if anyone would appreciate the wonders of the isle, it would be her.

When he’d received a spare ticket, since Harry – who Britain had originally chosen as his Second – could no longer attend…well, he figured that he’d send that off to Sokaris, on the off-chance that she might attend, as he knew she was curious about what the isle had to offer. And even though she hadn’t chosen to do so, likely due to being involved things far beyond his understanding, he still thought he’d made the right choice…

‘More than anyone else, she was the one who set me on this path. Which is why, if you were to ask who I’d consider my greatest mentor, it would be her.’

Everything he’d done since the end of first year had been motivated by a goal of one day reaching the Director of Atlas’, of being acknowledged as an equal, yet no matter how far he’d come, there was still a very long way to go.

‘Just being here tells me that much…’

Or rather, confirmed his suspicions that this was the case, as it wasn’t as if he held a candle to someone like the Champion of Mahoutokoro, or for that matter, the Champion of Beauxbatons if she fought seriously.

‘I can fight. I’m good at that – well, pretty good, for someone my age, given the training I’ve had and the opportunities I’ve been granted.’

It was no secret that Matou Shinji had a passion and a drive that led him to push himself harder than most others in Britain, as well as access to bits and pieces of knowledge that they did not, and had thrown himself into growing stronger, in pursuit of his ultimate goal.

And yet, here there were others, just as talented, if not more so, who’d had longer to grow into the fullness of their power, to explore mysteries he was only beginning to understand. Well, maybe not the Champion of Tamirsthana, as that school, from what he’d heard, mostly used the same techniques as those of Europe, but then, one could never be sure.

After all, Rachelle Lestrange came from Beauxbatons, but her skill in the sword – and in Alchemy – came from somewhere else entirely, passed down from the Founder and first Director of the Centre for Alchemical Studies, a disciple of Zepia Eltnam Oberon – who today was better known as the phenomenon called TATARI.

He wasn’t quite sure what Rachelle Sondrol’s talents were, for all that he’d been around her at Durmstrang, but given that she held the rank of Field Marshal, a position whose authority, in times of crisis, superseded even those of the Commanders, he suspected she wasn’t one to be underestimated either.

‘Not least because no one saw her arrive on the isle…’

Nor had anyone seen her going between buildings, when she wasn’t moving in a group with others, and it shouldn’t be that easy to lose track of a statuesque redhead, especially one who exuded both confidence and grace as she did.

‘I wish I’d taken the chance to spend more time with her,’ he thought to himself, shaking his head. ‘If only so I knew what she was capable of. Because right now, she’s a mystery…’

Then again, many of the others were, with the boy still trying to process exactly how their demonstrations at the Opening Ceremonies translated to what they could do on the battlefield.

‘A battlefield, huh?’ the boy asked himself. ‘Speaking of which, I did want to know why Tomas was here, though in all the excitement of yesterday, I think I forgot to check in with him at the CAS Archives. I guess I’ll just drop by later today, since there should be time after this.’

That there should be, he knew, since he’d checked, but having done press conferences and before, he knew that such things could easily go beyond the allotted time.

‘At least I finally showed Budge the potion I devised,’ he mused. The boy had been incredibly nervous to confront the spirit of the ancient potioneer, given the ultimatum the latter had laid out for him when they’d last spoken, but…the man had seemed not entirely dissatisfied with what he’d managed to produce, especially after he’d brewed a sample in front of him. ‘I guess for all of his knowledge, Budge really didn’t explore the secrets of Blood Magic…’

Of course, the spirit had chided him for wasting some of his precious supply of Felix Felicis to brew what he considered a…lesser, albeit situationally useful, potion. After all, the potion one devised in the end had to be brewed using ingredients from the island itself, and a pre-brewed sample of “liquid luck” certainly wouldn’t count.

“I’ll find a way to make it using only native ingredients,” the boy had declared. “Or even something better. But to do that, I need your help.”

“Ah. Finally realized your shortcomings as a potioneer and herbologist, have you?” Zygmunt Budge had said, without any trace of mirth. “In that case, let us renew our partnership. With my towering intellect and your…having a body, we may yet take home a victory for Britain!”

It hadn’t been an ideal resolution, as he’d secretly hoped that Budge had secreted some vials of Felix Felicis – the potioneer’s self-described masterwork – or other useful potions in the book, and that, on winning the spirit’s respect, he would gain access to some hidden cache only shown to the worthy, but…in retrospect, that would have been entirely too much of a fairy-tale like development.

He looked down at the schedule he’d been handed, at the journalists in the front row of the grand amphitheater, at some of the guests – who seemed eager to hear some incautiously spilled secret or revelation, and at his fellow Champions, feeling somewhat underdressed as he did so, given that he was simply wearing his usual school robes.

‘…I should have at least worn the dress robes Durmstrang issued me,’ he thought glumly. ‘Those at least, are stylish as well as functional.’

Rachelle Sondrol certainly thought so, at least, given that the redhead was clad in her formal outfit – a black robe trimmed with gold, with the coat of arms of Durmstrang in silver against a golden cauldron emblazoned on the breast, with a figure hugging blood-red dress worn underneath.

Parambir Agarwal similarly wore a more formal version of his school’s uniform, black with maroon and silver accents, and looked quite dapper for it.

‘Of course, wearing something from Durmstrang would make it seem like I had nothing of my own that would do, so maybe I should have worn what I did to the Yule Ball or something like it?’ he wondered, silently cursing his decision to appeal to try and seem both patriotic and humble by wearing only his Hogwarts robes. It was a little ridiculous that he, who owned a fashion label, was the most shabbily dressed of the others on stage. ‘And to pile insult on injury, Slughorn isn’t even here to appreciate it.’

Truly, he thought, the Potions Master of Hogwarts was useless as a mentor, and even more useless as a journalist.

If he’d known that Luna would be here, not Slughorn…

But the boy shook his head.

‘What’s done is done. Maybe I’ll come off as humble, instead of just…out of my depth?’

None of the others had bothered with humility.

Rachelle Lestrange, after all, was wearing an elegant navy dress of satin chased with silver filigree, together with a navy cape lined in silver fur, and her ever-present rapier – the very outfit in which she’d first appeared at Durmstrang.

Elesa Labelle, Champion of Ilvermorny, was clad in a slinky black dress embossed with flowing golden lines – which almost resembled circuits, over which was draped a golden-copper stole embroidered with ornate black honeycomb-like patterns constantly in motion, all offset by two gold and amber bracelets she wore as accessories. All in all, she looked as if she’d just stepped off the runway at a fashion show.

‘…well, she is a model, I suppose…’

Sajyou Ayaka, the beauty of Mahoutokoro, was dressed in a royal blue furisode patterned with white chrysanthemums, the symbolism of which made Shinji narrow his eyes, given that to the Japanese, that flower represented both the moon as well as the Imperial House itself.

Even Libatius Müller, the rather stuffy Champion of Castelobruxo, was dressed up for the occasion in white-tie attire, with formal western waistcoat in white, and an elegant old pocket watch of gleaming silver.

Both Ka'aukai Kapule and Mischa Stukov wore what looked like military uniforms, with Ka’aukai in the dress whites of a young naval officer, while Mischa wore what looked like battle armor, with a protective wyvernhide cloak over it, featuring a cowling worked into the shape of a bear's head

Olu Akindele seemed to be projecting the image of an adventurer in the middle of his journeys, as he wore a wyvern-hide jacket, over serviceable robes, with fedora, satchel, and bullwhip as accessories.

Ramona Ahgeak had on a somewhat mysterious outfit, looking quite striking in her red trenchcoat and matching fedora, under which he could make out something like a black top, black tights, and surprisingly stylish boots.

‘Seems almost American. Where in the world is Qausuittuq again?’ he wondered, recalling that it had never really come up. And that he had no idea of what her abilities might be, since all she showed was a surprising aptitude for self-transfiguration. ‘Maybe she’s an Animagus?’

But that didn’t matter. What mattered was that he’d misjudged what to wear, and compared to his competitors, he looked…

‘Rather homely, really…just not in the way I wanted.’

He’d sought to look homely in the way the British defined it – simple but cozy and comfortable, with his attire meant to evoke a relaxed air, as if to say that come what might, he wasn’t really worried. That he was someone who didn’t need to dress up to be confident in himself, that he was but a humble representative of the country who had chosen him.

Yet in the end, he’d ended up looking homely in the way an American might define the word: unattractive, plain, unappealing compared to the others.

‘And Slughorn isn’t even here…’

“Good morning, everyone,” a voice broke in, with Shinji blinking as a certain red-haired puppeteer took the stage. “Champions. Representatives of the Associated Press. On behalf of the Centre for Alchemical Studies and the International Potions Committee, thank you for taking the time to be here. I know some of you have reservations about setting aside a day for this, given that in previous years, interviews only happened in a Champion’s free time, with the only full press conference happening after the finals. Yet, as this Championship is in the spirit of international cooperation, it was felt that the traditional arrangement did not allow the stories of the Champions to be told.”

Aozaki Touko, acting as the lead representative for the Centre, looked over the panel of Champions – and the assembled journalists gravely.

“Today is an opportunity for both of you,” she declared. “Champions, today, you may share your story with your fellows and the world. Who are you? What do you want? Why are you here? Where are you going? Representatives of the press, you have the privilege of questioning these individuals, prying out what information you can, and sharing it with the world.”

She chuckles.

“What you say today,” she said, glancing at the Champions. “What you write,” she continues, looking to the members of the press, “will echo on in the world. Perhaps what will soon transpire will steel the resolve of any Champion not yet committed, or inspire those who have never seen the glory of this event. Craft your tales well, that they might touch the mind, heart and soul, that they might become power, and in time, through that power, some may become…glorious.”

With that, the puppeteer bowed, and took her place at a podium between the two long tables at which the Champions were seated.

“And with that, let us begin. Miss Lovegood from The Quibbler, you have the first question.”

While Matou Shinji was no stranger to sparring with Luna – and indeed, considered the usual thrashings he received at her hands to be a vital part of training, as it kept him grounded and gave him a goal to surpass, he’d never faced her on a battlefield in which words and wits were what mattered, an area which he was forced to concede was not – and perhaps never would be – his forte.

‘That, and Luna more or less has a hold on my greatest weakness…’

His heart.

He didn’t mind leading other people astray with misleading comments or incomplete information, but that wasn’t something he was willing to do with her. With her, he didn’t want to have to pretend, to play the games that so many others indulged in.

Fortunately, however, she wasn’t his only “opponent” today, given the fact that as the youngest and admittedly most scandal prone of the Potions Champions, there were plenty who were curious about his motivations, his abilities, and his intentions.

One of the more notable was a charming reporter from the Bunbunmaru Times of Mahoutokoro, who went by Shameimaru or something like that, a petite red-eyed girl who was quite curious about the process by which Hogwarts, and Schools other than the usual four – Mahoutokoro, Uagadou, Castelobruxo, and Koldovstoretz, chose their Champions.

This was usually a civilized affair at the City Under Earth, with the senior professors choosing a student to represent their school and nation from a list of qualified candidates nominated by the Maiden or her Attendant, but the same could be said for other countries, where some held competitions – almost mini-wars – over the spot, where the selection process was mired in scandal and rumor, or which in some cases sent Champions so infrequently that the mechanism by which people are chosen was utterly unknown.

As expected, much of Shameimaru’s interest was focused on the Champions of Ilvermorny, Durmstrang, Beauxbatons, and Hogwarts.

Elesa Labelle, after all, was so obviously "just a model" that the reporter found it odd she had been chosen to compete in such a prestigious competition.

Rachelle Lestrange’s ascension to the position of Champion had been dogged by rumors of some murderous game of thrones being played at the old school, culminating in the death of the French Minister's son and a sizeable portion of the senior class.

And Matou Shinji – well, he was young and inexperienced compared to most Champions, even if he did bear traces of a blessing from an elder youkai.

Rachelle, who answered first, due to Beauxbatons coming before Hogwarts in the alphabet, simply said that each person had been given a chance to brew a single potion to show to the Potions Master of Beauxbatons, and she had been chosen because what she had created had been judged to be the worthiest.

As to the scandal, Lestrange admitted that there had been a tragic series of accidents at the school, but no one who mattered had been hurt in the course of the friendly competition.

“No one who mattered?” the reporter echoed, raising a slim eyebrow. “Would you include the French Minister’s son under that label?”

“Alas, poor Anton,” Lestrange replied in a remarkably even tone of voice. “Like Icarus, ‘e flew too close to ze sun and fell from ze sky.”

“Poetic, but that doesn’t really answer my question, Miss Etoile Noire.”

“Anton met ‘is end by ‘is own hand.”

“Suicide?” the reporter questioned, her eyes rapt. “That’s not what I’ve heard.”

“Vat else can one call it, ven one knowingly rushes to ‘is own destruction?”

The French Champion punctuated her statement with a particularly Gallic shrug, making it clear there was really nothing else to say.

“There was an open competition,” Rachelle Sondrol admitted under the reporter’s questioning. “Though as this was Durmstrang, we prioritize the ability to survive against the dangers of the world above simply a knowledge of potions. In the end, it came down to a match between myself and Andreas Tørnquist, Commander of the Banner of Ravens. I won. It is as simple as that.”

“Mister Tørnquist is your guest, is he not?”

“Yes?”

“Some say there was some sort of agreement…? That certain promises or favors were exchanged, since you apparently serve as his Lieutenant in the Banner of Ravens? And since in lieu of a mentor or family member, you’ve brought him.”

“If you are implying some sort of sordid relationship, there is no such thing,” Sondrol noted mildly. “I simply consider Andreas something of a mentor when it comes to the art of potions, and a friend.”

“A friend, you say?”

“Yes, Miss Shameimaru,” the redhead responded, chuckling. “Just a friend. But if you have doubts, I’m sure you can ask him yourself, since I hear you had dinner with him last night?”

“T-that will be all, thank you,” the reporter said, somewhat frostily calling an end to that particular line of questioning. Shaking her head, she turned to the next vict…subject to interview. A certain Matou Shinji. “So tell me,” she asked solicitously, as she focused her intense gaze on the young boy, as full, red lips curved up into a mischievous smile on an alabaster face framed by raven-colored hair. “How were you chosen as Champion, Matou-kun? Just remember…the more you tell, the less I'll have to fill in."

The boy smiled, for he had very little to hide.

“We had challenges that were…well, kind of like open war in our potions classes,” he explained, shaking his head. “It was every person – or sometimes every team – for themselves as we made our way through a blazing forest to retrieve supplies at a cache, fought each other – or monsters like acromantulae to secure base camps, faced our worst nightmares.”

“Oooh, how barbaric,” the young reporter quipped, as this narration caught her interest. “And you emerged victorious?”

“I and the one they call the Boy-Who-Lived,” Shinji admitted, his face impassive as he thought back to the final battle he’d had against his friend. “We faced each other in a final test.”

“And?”

“Well, I’m here, am I not?” Shinji questioned.

“That you are, that you are,” the reporter acknowledged, bobbing her head up and down. “The savior of Britain isn’t quite as skilled as they say, then?”

Shinji thought for a second before answering.

“No,” he answered, lips tight as he recalled his friend’s betrayal – or rather, how Harry had Aurors intercept him as if he was a criminal. “His reputation doesn’t…quite match up with reality.”

Satisfied, she turned to Elesa Labelle, only for the other to respond with empty platitudes about how she was honored to represent the American people, and how the MACUSA had chosen her as something of a goodwill ambassador, someone who best embodied its values.

“A…goodwill ambassador?” Miss Shameimaru echoed, having trouble making sense of what the blonde was saying. “Chosen because you embody its values, not for any particular skill in potions?”

“That’s right,” Elesa confirmed with a warm smile, with the reporter thrown for a loop by this logic.

“You do realize that this is a very dangerous competition, in which people have died?” the reporter pressed.

“Well then, I’ll just be a bit careful,” the blonde noted. “I’m a bit allergic to death, after all.”

“…thank you, Miss Labelle.”

There were some more general questions about things from their favorite thing about working with potions, people who had inspired them along the way, and any particular things they were noted for aside from being Champions – and outside of potions as a whole.
    Who are they as people? What were they most proud of? What (or who) do they love doing? What sorts of adventures did they enjoy?

Things of that sort, with Shinji learning a few things here and there, as others gave their responses – some thought out – some quite pithy, though he was forced to think quickly when another enterprising young reporter stood up.

“Carlos Aihara of Diário Bruxaria, Magical Brazil's leading newspaper,” the reporter greeted, a tanned Japanese man with strong features, green eyes, and bleached blond hair. “A question for the entire panel: what would you say is the one event that has most greatly impacted who you are today? Mister Matou, how about you start? You are the youngest Champion, after all."

Shinji sighed, having heard that particular justification a few too many times for comfort in just the past few hours.

The boy was silent for close to a minute before nodding.

“There’s only one thing that comes to mind,” he said, his expression distant as his mind drifted away into the past. “The incident involving the Philosopher’s Stone that occurred in my first year, for which I was awarded one of Britain’s highest honors – and in which….” The boy trailed off, shaking his head as he swallowed. It took him a few moments to find his voice again. “…in which Sialim Sokaris, in whose honor and memory I strive to become better with each passing day, passed away.”

“I’m sorry for your loss,” the man replied, not unsympathetically. “If you don’t mind, can you elaborate? I’m sure my readers would like to know.”

“As you know, Professor Dumbledore was once the apprentice to Nicholas Flamel,” Shinji began, supplying a bit of background so the official story would make sense. “Which is how, in my first year, he was entrusted with the Philosopher’s Stone for safekeeping, as a powerful dark wizard had nearly stolen it from the isle where Flamel lived.”

“Oh? Is this that Vol-something fellow who made such a ruckus in Britain a few year ago?” Mister Aihara questioned. “I could be wrong, but I heard something about him dying.”

“No,” Shinji said. “This was someone who served him. And wanted the Stone to bring him back to life.”

“…is that even possible?”

Shinji shrugged.

“I don’t know, but he apparently thought so,” he commented. “Hogwarts is said to be the safest place in Britain, and it is practically in the middle of nowhere, but I guess it is the obvious place to look, if you know Flamel moved the Stone. So one night, after the castle’s groundskeeper was arrested for trying to kill the Minister, with the Headmaster going to the Minstry to sort things out, the dark wizard made his move.”

“What happened?”

“The enemy went for the Stone, which had been hidden behind a series of traps on the third floor,” Shinji related, shaking his head. “Sokaris and I…and a few others, were the only ones awake, along with…” The boy shivered and shook and took a deep breath. “…along with the defense professor. Together, we went to confront him.”

“And?”

“The stone was…lost,” the boy said bitterly. “The dark wizard was stopped. I, and most of the others, were hospitalized. And Sokaris…was gone.” He sighed. “Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like if she were still around. If she’d be happy that I’m here, in her honor. She was the most brilliant potioneer I ever knew, and my closest friend that first year. I swore I would one day measure up to what she could do, live up to what she thought I could be. I’m a better person because I met her.”

“…what about the Defense Professor?”

“Oh. Him,” Shinji noted with a shrug. “He died.”

The reporter blinked at the boy’s nonchalance over the second death. He’d expected at least some reaction to a professor dying before their student's eyes, but the British Champion's eyes were remarkably dry.

“I, I see,” the man remarked, blinking. “How about you, Miss Labelle?” he asked, turning to the Champion of Ilvermorny. “The one event that has most greatly impacted who you are today.”

“The day I lost my parents,” the blonde answered after a moment, looking down as she dabbed at her eyes with a handkerchief. “It was years ago, and I don’t remember much of it. But I know there was fire. And screaming. And…” she trailed off, shaking her head. “I’m sure you can guess the rest.”

“…I’m sorry for your loss, Miss Labelle,” the man noted, shaking his head. “You don’t have to say anymore. Moving on then…Mister Stukov, how about you?”

“The day I was chosen to attend Koldovstoretz,” the Russian Champion responded immediately.

“Would you like to say more?”

The young man thought for a second, before giving a sharp shake of the head.

“On balance, nyet.”

On and on it went, until at last, Mihael Sebastian, a slim dark-haired man who represented the MACUSA’s Agarthan Chronicle stood up to ask the final question of the group portion of the press conference. He was most curious as to the Champions' dreams and ambitions, and so his question went accordingly.

“Assuming everything goes ideally for you in this competition, what kind of potion would you most like to create?” he inquired, hoping a view into the mindset of the Champions who had gathered on this isle. “Or alternatively, if that is a bit too sensitive - what kind of legacy would you like to leave behind as a practitioner of the magical arts and as a person on this earth?"

Labelle, who went first, said that when she passed, she would very much like to leave behind a more peaceful world, where people continued to have hope for a better tomorrow, with some of the reporters and audience members nodding, while a number of her fellow Champions frowned, as if in disbelief.

“To be known as the one who restored the line of the hero – and the honor of Koldovstoretz,” the Russian Champion commented, shooting the American a dirty look.

“I want to be known as someone who builds bridges, instead of tearing them down,” Ramona Ahgeak noted, eyes bright. “Someone who helps to build a better tomorrow on the foundation of the past.”

And so they answered, one by one, until only two were left, Rachelle Lestrange from Beauxbatons and Matou Shinji of Hogwarts.

“It is my ambition to become ze greatest alchemist in the world, surpassing even ze memory of Nicholas Flamel,” the petite blonde declared, with conviction in her voice. “To reach ze same heights 'e did, and rush past zem.”

Hearing this, Shinji could only shake his head, since he knew how others would see his own ambition, especially coming after hers. Nevertheless, it was best to be honest about these things.

“My ambition?” he answered, with a faint smile. “I aim to become someone worthy of standing beside the greatest alchemist in the world. To be acknowledged one day, as an equal. To ask for more would be…like Icarus flying too close to the sun.”

There was a break after that, with the Champions being herded into several spots for a photoshoot, followed by lunch, and then individual interviews – opportunities for each Champion to tell their story in a more private setting, away from the prying ears of their competitors, and possibly to give more candid remarks for benefit of the press and the people of the countries they represent.

These, thankfully, didn’t happen in the amphitheater, but in the small, soundproof study rooms of the CAS Archive, which the representative had graciously opened for their use.

Shinji, seeing Luna there, gave her a wan smile as he plopped down in the couch in the room, next to the petite blonde.

“Are you unhappy to see me?” she asked, noting that he seemed rather exhausted.

“Never that,” Shinji said reassuringly. “Just…what happened to Professor Slughorn?” he wondered aloud. “I thought he was supposed to be the British Press Representative.”

“Mm, Professor Slughorn is in his room,” Luna told him. “He’s not feeling well today, so I had to replace him.”

“I…see,” Shinji noted, sighing in relief. “Do you have any idea what happened?”

“I’m not sure,” Luna admitted, though she did glance towards the door of the room. “The one who told me about the Professor’s illness was Representative Peverell.”

At that, Shinji did cradle his head in his hands. He should have known the automaton was involved in this somehow.

“…what did Tomas do?” he asked, almost cringing.

“I’m not sure he did anything,” Luna replied, shaking her head. “He simply said that the Professor began feeling unwell during their meal together.”

“Their meal together…” Shinji echoed, fighting the urge to laugh hysterically. Oh, he could just imagine how that had went, with the automaton modelled after the man who would one day become Voldemort sitting down with one of his former instructors.

“Is this seat taken, Professor?” Tomas would likely have said, smiling in the dangerously charming way that the automaton was capable of.

“No, it isn’t,” Slughorn might have replied as he looked up, only to see a figure that no doubt haunted his nightmares sit across from him. “You…you are…”

“Tomas…but you can call me Tom,” the automaton could very well have supplied, as SLughorn’s face blanched. “Tomas Peverell, that is. A representative of the Centre of Alchemical Studies”

“Peverell…” Slughorn would have repeated. “As in the three brothers of the story?”

“Yes. I am said to be descended from them – and from Salazar Slytherin himself,” Tomas no doubt would have answered, smiling all the while, noting every bit of discomfort on the old man’s face, every knot of tension, every unwitting tremor. “Is something wrong, Professor? You seem…uncomfortable.

“N-no, I’m fine,” Slughorn would have insisted, trying in vain to get his body under control. “So, what brings a representative of the Centre to my table? Have we…have we met?”

“Unlikely,” Tomas would probably say blandly. “Unless you have encountered me on previous Centre business, I am otherwise in Japan, where I grew up.”

“Ah, I see…” Slughorn would have said, sighing in relief. “Japan, did you say? You are acquainted with the Champion of Mahoutokoro, then? Or perhaps with Matou Shinji?”

“Yes to both,” Tomas might have answered. “In fact, I once tutored Mister Matou in Occlumency. I take it you are his mentor? Though it is odd that you are here as a member of the press, is it not? Is it not traditional for a Champion to invite their mentor?”

“…it is. But I volunteered to be the press representative instead, so Mister Matou could bring his…companion,” Slughorn would have deflected, not wanting to admit that he had been snubbed. “Speaking of which, how are you a Peverell? I thought the line died out in the male line.”

“Is that so?” Tomas would have inquired. “I confess, I merely knew that my progenitor was descended from them. I cannot verify that, since he left shortly after I was born, but I do know at least, that he was of Slytherin’s line.”
    “And how do you know that?” Slughorn might have asked, his eyes narrowing in suspicion. “Rather, what makes you so sure?”

“Well, that’s simple,” the automaton would say in satisfaction. “You see, I’m a Parselmouth.”

Shinji could well imagine how the rotund Potions Master would have jerked backwards at that candid admission, probably falling out of his chair and spilling his glass on the ground.

“Oh, Professor, are you quite alright?” Tomas would have asked in faux concern, as he slid smoothly from his seat and crouched by Slughorn’s side. The man flinched then the automaton’s cold fingers touched him, his breathing almost racing out of control before he steadied himself over several minutes. “Ah, shall we continue? I think we were about to order.”

“I’m…I’m terribly sorry,” the Potions Master would likely have said, looking for an excuse to flee. “But I…I don’t think I’m feeling too well.”

“Oh? Is that so?” Tomas would ask coolly. “That’s simply too bad. You would have loved the Crystallized Pineapple, Professor. I hear it’s good enough that some would trade a piece of their soul for it.”

No doubt Slughorn would have clutched his chest as his heart nearly explodes from the shock, or at least passed out as a terrible realization strikes him.

Shinji shook his head, to clear it of the strange scenario he’d concocted.

‘No…I’m sure I’m imagining things. There’s no way things happened like that, right? Surely the Professor just genuinely fell ill…’

“If he really is ill, I probably shouldn’t bother him,” the boy said, nodding. “I should let him rest.”

“Mm…speaking of which, would you like a bit of rest yourself?” Luna questioned, looking at Shinji and putting her notebook aside. “I have enough information to write my story, so if you’d like to take a nap.” She patted her lap, indicating that Shinji should rest his head there.

“Well…since you offer, who am I to refuse?” Shinji replied warmly, doing just that.

After the time set aside for individual interviews – in which he instead enjoyed a very pleasant interlude with Luna – there were a couple of hours remaining before the evening’s grand reception. Under normal circumstances, he’d offer to spend time with Luna, but she declined, saying that as she was the current press representative for Britain, she would be rather busy writing up a draft of her articles.

“Well, I can’t keep you from that, can I?” Shinji teased.

“Well, you can, but you probably shouldn’t,” Luna answered dreamily.

“But what if I want to?” the boy pressed.

“Perhaps tonight, after the reception?” she suggested, her expression growing more serious. “I wouldn’t mind if it was then.”

“Well, in that case, I’ll look forward to it. In the meantime, mi’lady, is there anything I can do for you?” he inquired.

“Mm, if you could watch Gabrielle until the reception, I think both I and Miss Lestrange would be happy,” Luna suggested with a wan smile. “As would Mister Peverell, who has been kind enough to watch her during these individual interviews. She enjoyed hearing everyone’s answers at the group session though.”

“Heh…she was there, was she?”

“She was. She thought it charming to hear so much about her chevalier, in person,” the petite blonde told him, as Shinji winced.

“Tonight then?”

“Tonight.”

With that, the boy kissed his companion’s hand and rose to his feet, making his way out into the general reading room of the CAS Archives, where he found that Tomas had been regaling the young girl with stories about the Stone Cutters. To his surprise, the automaton had been using his considerable magical talents to put on a display of light and sound and color (and transfiguration) to show off the battle against the troll, the clash with Acromantulae, the clash with the tanuki and more, with Gabrielle clapping as – at the moment Shinji walks through the door - Lestrange slew the...somewhat exaggerated form of the tanuki, which resembled, in its final form, nothing so much as a dragon wrought of shadow.

‘What.’

"And speaking of the great chevalier," the automaton quipped, turning to the doorway, where Shinji stood, unable to wrap his head around Tomas apparently being...good with children.

'Just what. How can someone be so cruel, yet so kind to children?'

"Ah, Monsieur le Chevalier," Gabrielle said with a cute blush. "Monsieur Peverell vas telling me of all your adventures! Truly, you are a most gallant chevalier!"

"I...see," Shinji noted, feeling somewhat disoriented by this turn of events. "You’ve only been telling her good things, I hope, Tomas?"

"Of course, Monsieur," Tomas replied with an exaggerated bow, and something much like a smirk. "There are only good things to tell, after all."

The Potions Champion of Hogwarts fought the urge to cradle his head in his hands, as he just knew nothing good would come from this, but it wouldn't do to be impolite in front of a young lady.

"Then I thank you," he allowed himself to say. "Luna appreciates it - and so do I."
    "It was no trouble," Tomas replied, his expression going neutral. "The dreams of children are precious yet fragile, after all. And far be it from me to make such a charming little girl cry."

Gabrielle looked from Tomas to Shinji, with her cheeks tinged with pink.

"You are here to take me away, Monsieur le Ma--Monsieur Matou?" the young French witch inquired.

"I am," Shinji replied with a warm smile. "There are a couple hours to fill until the reception tonight, and I thought Mister Peverell might appreciate a chance to...recharge, as it were."

"I don't think I look quite so run down, but your concern is appreciated, Champion," the automaton noted, the set of his mouth making it clear he'd caught Shinji's particular choice of words. "Miss Delacour, it was a pleasure to host such a lovely young woman. One who will grow even more beautiful in time, no doubt."

"Non non, zat is—"

"And it is nice to see you taking care of someone who is so...well, who looks up to you as a little sister might to a big brother," Tomas continued, turning to Shinji with a smirk. "It is so very...touching."

Shinji was silent for a second. Two seconds. Ten seconds. Long enough for him be sure he wouldn’t say anything unwise in front of Gabrielle.

"Thank you for being so generous with your time, Mister Peverell,” the boy said graciously. “It is quite nice of you, even though you are one of the Centre's representatives, and no doubt have other things to do."

"True enough," Tomas allowed with a nod. "Miss Dealcour, Champion Matou, I will see you two tonight at the reception. Until then, try not to involve yourself in anything too troublesome. Though, if you're looking for something to do...the beach is lovely, or so I hear.”

With those words, the automaton saw the two outside, with the young girl latching onto Shinji's arm.

"So vere shall we go?" she asked him, her bright eyes looking up at him expectantly.

Shinji sighed, shaking his head.

‘Fine. We’ll do it Tomas’ way.’

“Why, to the beach,” he declared grandly. “No doubt Mister Peverell knows the island better than I, and a beautiful view is something I think you would enjoy, mi’lady.”

So the two went to the beach, where Shinji finally appreciated the fact that he’d only worn his school robes, as he didn’t mind getting those dirty from helping the young girl building sand castles, or from seawater splashing on him as he tried to teach Gabrielle how to dance on the surface of the sea.

That last bit wasn’t entirely a successful endeavor, as one might expect, given that Veela tended to have an affinity to fire, not water, but it was fun all the same, as the two splashed and played, with Shinji even carrying the girl on his shoulders as he walked on the water – something she found quite remarkable.

Soon enough though, the sun began to set, and it was time to go, with Shinji escorting Gabrielle back to her room, before going back to his for a change of clothing into something a bit more refined yet casual, settling for a set of robes that seemed like as if they’d been woven from spun moonlight.

He only regretted that slightly when he found that the reception that night was also by the sea, involving a lovely bonfire, great food, music, and more.

‘Blast it, now I’m over-dressed…’ he thought to himself, as he stood around in formal robes, thinking he should have worn the damn paeru he’d acquired in Tahiti.

Still, there was little enough to complain about – the weather was quite pleasant, and the water – as he knew from experience, was perfect for a dip – and perfectly safe around the area of the town. Indeed, when arrived, some of the Champions were swimming, or surfing or both.

A few though, were doing other things.

Elesa Labelle, wearing a very flattering beach dress of white and pale blue, with a butterfly wrought of lightning nestled in her hair, was presently caught up in a conversation with the Polynesian representative, though she glanced up at him as he arrived, favoring him with a warm smile.

The Brazilian representative was helping with the cooking, though he didn’t look at all happy doing it – unlike the redhead who was his fiancée.

Rachelle Sondrol, also in a casual beach dress, was speaking with a brunette he thought was the American Champion’s guest, as well as Zelkova, apparently.

And Rachelle Lestrange, who looked quite bewitching indeed in a black and red swimsuit that hugged every one of her curves and revealed a generous amount of skin, was playing in the water with Gabrielle.

'Looks like fun…' he thought to himself, thinking that perhaps he would join them. Gabrielle wouldn't mind, after all...and he was sure Lestrange didn't think of him as a nuisance, right? The boy shook his head, wondering at the lengths he went to in order to justify his actions to himself. 'I'll go when Luna comes,' he told himself. 'Before that, I should look around and see who else is here.'

As he did so, he saw a few familiar faces other than the Champions. Andreas, the Raven Lord, who was speaking to the small reporter from the Bunbunmaru Times, Yumi Suzuki – the World Champion, who seemed to be getting on well with Tomas, and Kaiduka, the great kitsune of Mahoutokoro (notably lacking a tail today) who was speaking with a curvy brown-haired teen in a very flattering white and red bikini, and a sarong wrapped around her waist.

The boy thought that he should at least pay his respects to the great kitsune, and so walked over to where Kaiduka was speaking with the brunette.

“Champion of Britain,” the fox greeted him, turning from his conversation as he approached.

“Lord Kaiduka,” Shinji returned, bowing to the powerful youkai who had done so much for him over the years. “And just is your lovely companion? Another of your students?”

“Ah…” the kitsune remarked, with a wry smile. “That’s right, you have not met. Champion Matou, allow me to introduce you to Lady Yamato.”

“…as in Lady Yamato from the Kojiki?” Shinji asked, shock and confusion writ across his features. "The Shrine Maiden of Ise Shrine who entrusted the Kusanagi to Yamato Takeru, back when it was 'merely' the Ame-no-Murakumo-no-Tsurugi?! I-it is an honor!"

“Now, don’t be rude. I’m not quite that old, Champion,” the other pouted, shaking her head. “Though I am older than I look.”

“…so, not a student then?” Shinji inquired, looking at Kaiduka for confirmation.

“Ah…no,” the kitsune confirmed, shaking his head. “You have heard of Cthulhu, I trust?”

“…yes?”

“Well, in that case, allow me to properly introduce Lady Yamato, Commander of the Combined Fleet which is charged with preventing him from waking, and otherwise combating the Abyssal threat.”

"I see…" the boy noted, narrowing his eyes. "You're not human, are you?"

"Why, how rude to just ask that outright!" the brunette commented, raising an eyebrow. "Even if I am not a high priestess, I do think my rank is somewhat higher than yours, Champion." Shinji stumbled backwards in the face of a hint of her killing intent, cold as steel and just as deadly, only to straighten as it vanished, as if sinking beneath the surface of a deceptively placid sea. "But you are correct, I am not human, as it happens."

"Human appearing yet…not a kitsune or tanuki, I'd imagine? Perhaps an oni...?" Shinji guessed, as that killing intent hadn't seemed entirely natural. Perhaps an oni, since surely she wasn't one of the kami...

Tsukumogami, actually, if not quite created by the usual means,” Lady Yamato supplied.

Tsukumogami of…?”

“Well, if I command a fleet and am named Yamato, what do you think I would be a tsukumogami of?"

Well, if she put it like that, there was only one Yamato he knew of. The former Flagship of Japan’s pacific fleet. But he’d thought…hadn’t that ship…?

‘...what is it Shakespeare wrote? "There are stranger things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy?" Let's just go with that.’

“As I said, not through the usual means,” she repeated, and this time Shinji nodded, as he had a better understanding of what she meant. Before he could ask more though, he noticed her look at a point beyond his shoulder, and turned Luna walk into view, with a brightly colored pareo wrapped around her torso, and the odd pendant she'd obtained from Lockhart around her neck.

“Lady Yamato,” the petite blonde greeted with a curtsey.

“No need for that, Miss Lovegood. It has been a few years, has it not?”

“You two…know each other?” Shinji asked in confusion. But how…

“We’ve met, if only in passing,” the statuesque brunette confirmed. “Though now that you mention it, I have met number of those here before. Aya, I see, is still working her mischief and underestimating others. Yumi is spirited as always. And Miss Labelle seems as if she might poach one of my promising officer candidates. Hmph, so many familiar faces, all of which have grown up in only a handful of years. Ah, humans, how they change so quickly...”

Her words might have been harsh, but voice was soft, her tone wistful.

“You don’t age, I take it?” Shinji hazarded.

“Not as you do. It is not always a blessing, but then, all blessings are curses in a way, and all curses blessings in disguise.”

“Is that really so?”

“So I’ve found, anyway.”

Choice 261: In the wake of the press conference, and after witnessing some of their abilities, Shinji finds his curiosity piqued by two individuals - Mischa Stukov and Elesa Labelle. How does he go about finding information on them? (choose one for each)

[ ] Sit with him/her at dinner
    [ ] Make an effort to see what events they compete in
    [ ] Meet their guest, and try to get information
    [ ] Speak with others who may know them (i.e. Lady Yamato implies knowing Elesa)
    [ ] (write-in)

Choice 262: In his free time, aside from research, Shinji is working on Potions. But what aspect of potions?

[ ] Building up his stock of explosives and healing potions
    [ ] Experimenting with ingredients he learns about from his research
    [ ] Attempting to brew an advanced potion - like Felix Felicis
    [ ] (write-in)

Choice 263: And since he is working with Lestrange for research, should he share the Book of Potions with her?

[ ] Yes
    [ ] No
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 29th, 2018 at 01:23 PM.

[x] Sit with him and her at dinner

Okay. We've never been that good at sneaking; trying to gather intel on two experienced and paranoid practitioners? I'd try the direct approach first.

[x] Experimenting with ingredients he learns about from his research

Slow, but steady progress. Advanced potions are tempting - but the risks increase proportionally.

[x] Yes

Well, we do have a thing for blonde witches, right?

Blog Entries
    [x] Speak with others who may know them (For Elesa)
    [x] Make an effort to see what events they compete in (For Mischa)

They won't talk about themselves, not seriously when it comes to Elesa, and not at all when it comes to Mischa.

Their guests likely know better than revealing information about their champions. Which leaves acquaintances and the likes.

[x] Experimenting with ingredients he learns about from his research.

Still needs to find a replacement for Felix Felicis if he wants to perfect the Fading Potion.

[x] No.

Not in a full alliance yet. She already is a better brewer, no reason to give her an added edge over Shinji.
    Last edited by Daiki; January 28th, 2018 at 05:19 PM.

Mischa - [X] Make an effort to see what events they compete in
    Elesa - [X] Speak with others who may know them (i.e. Lady Yamato implies knowing Elesa)

Not the best source of information on Mischa I know but he also strikes me as a kind of person that takes pride in himself and does not hold back showing how great he is. Almost like someone else we know...
    Talking to Yamato is likely the best person to hint at Elesa true self (her press answers in a load of BS, to the point that others should really start questioning it) as well as I just want Shinji to talk to Yamato some more and have a real conversation. Talking to Elesa or her guest will not work when they are all trained agents that can stick to the cover story just too darn well.

[X] Building up his stock of explosives and healing potions

Any option is good with me here but I pick this, because lets face it, Shinji needs to have a healing method if he is going to live thru this championship. He has no way to heal without this, so best to stock up now. Best not to rely on the kindness of others for healing. And explosions are always good.

[X] Yes

Is this wise? That is debatable but at the end of the day I trust Lestrange a heck a lot more than most champions and would like to showcase that fact to her. And not just because Shinji happens to like how she looks. Frankly I don't think she is the type to steal this thing from Shinji or screw him over by getting access to it. She takes too much pride in her own skills to win using this device. Sure she might love talking to the book and learning from him but to actually use his ideas and claim it as her own...that not Best Alchemist ever material. The difference between Shinji and Lestrange egos is that Shinji does not take pride at being a potion expert. He might take pride at his fighting skills but not his potion skills, he knows where he truly stands. The same is not said with Lestrange.

Lestrange is going to win this on her own merits or not at all. Otherwise she is not worthy of her ambition.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; January 28th, 2018 at 08:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Didn't notice that we had to pick one for each of them, will have to edit that in a bit.

I also think Lestrange is trustworthy. However, the book is our best chance to best people during the second trial. If we reveal the book and she gets to use it (even if it's only for reference or consulting Budge), you can bet that she won't miss this rare opportunity to come up with something we can't hope to beat. That's a huge risk if Shinji is running for first place.

If he and Rachelle were working a full fledged alliance, I wouldn't mind as much as allying with her probably means Shinji gives up about coming on top. Much like allying with Ayaka would deprive him of the first place altogether. He would have a reliable partner for the first trial but, what happens after that is likely a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
    If he and Rachelle were working a full fledged alliance, I wouldn't mind as much as allying with her probably means Shinji gives up about coming on top. Much like allying with Ayaka would deprive him of the first place altogether. He would have a reliable partner for the first trial but, what happens after that is likely a loss.
    I think its been noted for a while now that I am not that hard bent on coming in first. Its not the big goal that important to me. Coming in at a respectable place and/or coming up with something new for Shinji to make his mark is far more a reasonable goal for me. All while exploring the island and collecting the information that Sion was curious about.

If someone has to win this event that is not Shinji then gosh darn it I want to it to be Lestrange. Because if she wins this and still joins CAS like she wants and/or Atlas, then Sion is still getting the winner in the end. The agent that does it does not matter, but a good agent helps create the win and signs the talent for the team. That I am shooting for and value far more than pure winning.

I am not going to knock or try to stop people from winning this whole thing, but a dedicated to Sion Shinji helping Lestrange win this thing plays very much in Sion hands unlike if Ayaka won it. Especially if Shinji also creates his own potion. I don't see the issue here of insuring her victory here. Not that I think it would lock her into winning over Shinji.

Who would benefit the most if Shinji wins this whole thing? Likely the British ministry, a group that Shinji has not really gone out of his way to please. Shinji might benefit some but then its not like he shopping around factions at the moment trying to sell himself to the highest bidder. He has made his bed with Sion (not literally, much to his disappointment) and even has invested in Lockhart as a side group. Sure Shinji ego and wanting others to praise him pushes himself to do his best but he knows where he stands compared to others. Him winning this is a complete insult to the other champions whom abilities tower above his merger potion skills.

Elesa is flat out not trying to win because she is an agent on another mission with other things she is chasing after. Ramona is the person that trying to win in her place and grants cover for Elesa. Shinji-Lestrange amounts to about the same relationship from what I can tell. One person that has their eyes on a different prize (hah no doubt to whom Shinji's are focus on) and the other on winning.

Thought I have to admit Shinji helping Lestrange win after his public statement of his goal tied with Lestrange's, will inflame the wild speculation and rumors. Some might believe their is a love triangle going between Fleur-Shinji-Lestrange and others might believe its because he loves Fleur and doing it at her request.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; January 28th, 2018 at 08:39 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    Thought I have to admit Shinji helping Lestrange win after his public statement of his goal tied with Lestrange's, will inflame the wild speculation and rumors. Some might believe their is a love triangle going between Fleur-Shinji-Lestrange and others might believe its because he loves Fleur and doing it at her request.
    Yes. It would cause quite the scandal indeed. And to think that soon enough, Shinji will be popping out of Lestrange's handbag in the middle of an exclusive event. Possibly because her face - or was it Luna's face? - flashed into his mind in the seconds before he hit the ground...

Blog Entries
    That's your choice. I personally intend to work towards victory, since it certainly is not an impossibility. The reason for that is quite simple, and I stated it pretty clearly in the past. Shinji must aim to win, for he owes many favors to all of those who contributed so he could be where he is right now. And he owes it to himself after the efforts and investment spent. He must play his part properly since it wouldn't be fair otherwise. He also has a duty to Budge because he decided to keep the book for himself.

Dropping the competition for personal profit is out of question.

Your reasons to give the middle finger to Britain is justified. Just as much as mine is to give its wizard community some amount of glory and hope during these dark times. The fact that it would be brought about by a foreigner is even more important as it would be a primordial step in the right direction, making changes more acceptable when Lockhart takes over.

At the end of the day, someone as brilliant as Lestrange would get an invitation from the CAS regardless of victory or not. She can discuss her potential career in Atlas with Sion when these two eventually meet through Shinji or Touko. The only scenario where it doesn't happen is if she dies, and her odds of survival aren't that bad.

Rather than going the extra mile for Sion in order to get an additional reward, Shinji should do his best in the competition, once he has fulfilled his obligation with her. You already get a boost for doing what she requested, might as well try to give a shot at winning. His goal isn't to please her after all, he wants to be on an equal standing. And he needs the status for that. The proof that he overcame odds stacked against him too. And coming on top at the most prestigious international wizarding event would count towards that. If you wish to impress Sion, it would be one way to achieve that.

Your approach is valid from the point of view of someone who has given up walking by Sion's side. Sure, you can always end up as her field operative. But that doesn't reconcile well with his goal to walk by her side one day.

As long as we are not working in a full alliance, I don't want to share the book with anyone, unless there is a good reason for that. The mock trial would count towards that, as there is potential danger and we're forced to work as a team. But here? I don't want to help a potential opponent, no matter how close they are to Shinji.

The Elesa-Ramona situation is different as they are already working for the same side. This isn't the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
    Dropping the competition for personal profit is out of question.
    I am not dropping the competition, or giving the British the middle finger by not trying, but aiming for that second or third place. The place that he more deserves. Everyone seems stuck at this idea that it must be first place or else everything is for not, when second place is still very high indeed for such a young candidate. If the ministry has an issue with that place then its on them, not us.

Lestrange knowing about the book is not the same as handing it to her.

No I have to disagree with you, you can still walk at Sion side without going for the winning position. The thing is find your own calling and your own skill set to do that. You do not have to be the alchemist of equal rank to do that. Potions is not the thing that going to let him walk at her side as an equal at this point. That not to say give up on them in full, but that skill does not defined Shinji. His path takes him down a different route then an Alchemist, one that can lead to him being an equal. Maybe that means becoming the next Lockhart to do that or something else.

You don't become an equal by shooting to be a carbon copy of them.

I am not trying to argue with you here, I understand our two positions here. I just think its silly for us to go on and on at this having to win part. People keep backing off of trusting Lestrange because it will make her win like that is some big crime.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; January 28th, 2018 at 09:52 PM.