Page 245 of 299 FirstFirst ... 145195235240243244245246247250255295 ... LastLast
Results 4,881 to 4,900 of 5975

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Broken Chains (HP/FSN CYOA)

As much as I want to agree with your reasoning, SL, George has something to prove to Britain. Now that Shinji's reputation is torn apart, the crowd seeks a new idol, and Triwizard candidate is in a prime position to make use of that fame. And since George is not ready to cut ties with everything he holds dear in Wizard Britain, like, you know, his family, it is a good choice for him. One does not need to love the people to appeal to them.

And this way will open to us a lot of doors that seem closed forever, as long as we stay in contact.

That said, I find the choice kinda puzzling.

How good is George in dueling currently? Can he stealthily utilize his Fusion/mind reading/other passive abilities to match a renowned duelist in a fight without looking like a Super Sayan? And what about the "troops" option; what advantages does he have here?

"Toying" can lead to defeat or bitterness. "Crushing" definitely exposes the secret. So tentatively...

[X] Don't - swarm the Durmstrang Champion with troops, while clearing a path for them with his magic

But, hey, George is not the protagonist, maybe we can just expose his Powerlevel Over 9000 and ride on fame and hatred it brings, hm? Might just go all the way for public approval in the last challenge. (It is the last, right?)

Also, those foreboding dream sequences are as neat as they are worrying. Time shenanigans are pretty limited in Potterverse by Rowling's arbitrary statement, but how much can be accomplished with a bit of a True Magic in the mix? One can fear/hope, a lot.
    Last edited by Malorius; October 15th, 2018 at 01:36 AM.

Blog Entries
    [X] Don't - swarm the Durmstrang Champion with troops, while clearing a path for them with his magic.

Why not.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Zerg rush him.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Choice 409: [X] Don't - swarm the Durmstrang Champion with troops, while clearing a path for them with his magic

Choice 410:
    And what of the Champion of Beauxbatons?

[ ] Focus entirely on Krum...if Fleur happens to sneak by and claim the Cup, that's hardly his fault is it?
    [ ] Send the false Shinji to play at holding her back, only to be defeated
    [ ] Send the false Shinji to deal with the Castle's defenders, ostensibly to clear the way for when he defeats Krum, but practically...
    [ ] (write-in)
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[X] Focus entirely on Krum...if Fleur happens to sneak by and claim the Cup, that's hardly his fault is it?

I mean can the British fault their champion if he gets locked in gettting 'revenge' for his country? It feels like so very him to do this.

Thought I am tempted to make a write in where false Shinji plays to his reputation at this point and 'switches' sides here and helps Fleur win. He is already doomed in everyone eyes like Harry's, so how much is it really going to damage his reputation if he sides with Fleur here. But then again Fleur has a sense of Pride and is unlikely to want false Shinji to help her. At least not like this.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; October 15th, 2018 at 02:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    [X] Focus entirely on Krum...if Fleur happens to sneak by and claim the Cup, that's hardly his fault is it?

Sounds like something he would do, yeah.

Why do we want Fleur to win again? Why are her ambitions more important?

Because remember that George did not go into this championship trying to win this for Hogwarts, he is only in this to test himself and to prevent his brother from competing in this and dying. Which backfired on him just a tad with Fred become a squib this year.

George has already tested himself and found that this championship is a joke. He could win this fairly easily (if Lestrange was not going all out) but what is the fun of that for him. Does he care about the praise or the glory? George does not hold that stuff as having much value as long as he is powerful and capable. So if he does not care about victory, and Fleur cares a lot about it. Then I can see the boy that sleeping with said girl to pick the outcome that lets him test himself against Krum all while letting Fleur get the useless prize she wants.

Also George still has a bit of disdain for his schoolmates built up during the course of the year. And what worse he knows that his country has covered up the attempted murder and even rewarded the people who did it. So why should he give glory to Hogwarts if this is the stuff they stand for?

Also do remember that we did pick the damn winning and save the girl choice for how he was going to do this event. I admit there is a bit of a difference from that and letting her win. But hey George is sleeping with her on that front.

Frankly if it was just a matter of what is awesome and heroic nature, then I would be all for George winning this, but when I wear George's shoes, I am not sure he cares one bit other than the fun of his action. And the fun action here is taking on Krum.

There is another point of order here in play. If Krum won, Hogwarts will cry foul, and explode in violence. If Fleur wins there will be some people that do that still but it would be smaller. And it would be even smaller outburst if the students of Hogwarts and ministry in general think that George took it to Krum in a show of strength. So you can look at this being a play in keeping the peace.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; October 16th, 2018 at 02:40 AM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    [ ] Send the false Shinji to deal with the Castle's defenders, ostensibly to clear the way for when he defeats Krum, but practically...
    Choosing this because I want to see what defenses there and how the copy fares rather than clearing the way for her.

[ ] Send the false Shinji to deal with the Castle's defenders, ostensibly to clear the way for when he defeats Krum, but practically

Wait, there was a tie? Ugh. Ok, I've had no interest in this vote, but if I had to choose...

As passive and short sighted in the following of a fleeting affection in the expense of long term goals (If George actually has goals besides shounen protagonist motivation) as the other, but this one doesn't needlessly expose more of Shinji's abilities to the eyes of the crowd than necessary.

I mean, Fleur isn't even a proper waifu material, what is he thinking?..

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Choice 410: [X] Focus entirely on Krum...if Fleur happens to sneak by and claim the Cup, that's hardly his fault is it?

Rejoice! For the tie has been broken! George will focus his efforts on Krum, while holding off so he doesn't squish him like a bug, allowing Fleur to slip by and possibly claim the Cup - something that she cares very much about, and him not at all, since he has other priorities. Priorities like continuing to grow in power, without the chains that the Ministry would shackle him with, like finding better instructors who understand the ways of the mind and movement and can train him.

Being able to help Fleur is a nice, noble gesture which he does because he does admire her efforts. That it also doesn't pit him against False!Lestrange is a plus, since he'd rather avoid having that particular showdown in public.

Choice 411: What will False!Shinji do then?

[ ] Lead the assault on Krum
    [ ] Neutralize Krum's troops, so they can't reinforce the other Champion
    [ ] Be a reserve in case something happens
    [ ] Blind everyone with ofuda
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Priorities like continuing to grow in power, without the chains that the Ministry would shackle him with, like finding better instructors who understand the ways of the mind and movement and can train him.
    So, typical shounen reactive motivation? No concrete carrier choice, no solid plan for future education/training/path. At the very least, he could have sworn his life to his waifu - incomparable to One True Sion as she is - yet he fails even in that. Seriously, teenagers these days!

[x] Blind everyone with ofuda

Just to be a bit helpful. "Shinji" supports without doing anything impressive or worthy of being remembered.

We have just voted for the approach, Alf; why are we voting for this thing tho? Micromanagement much? I thought we wanted to increase the pace by decreasing the amount of simple choices, with an added benefit of letting the character make some more IC decisions.

...Well, at least I hoped for it.

Blog Entries
    It's either neutralize the troops (don't forget that these guys are used to work together efficiently - so disturbing their military structure / reduce their numbers would benefit George) or keep him in reserve (for whatever bad surprise George could expect thrown at him).

Will wait to see what you guys want to do to pick one.

[x] Neutralize.
    Last edited by Daiki; October 20th, 2018 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malorius View Post
    Just to be a bit helpful. "Shinji" supports without doing anything impressive or worthy of being remembered.
    Point of order: You might consider the use of Ofuda to seal people as unimpressive or not worthy of remembering but I ensure you the people of Hogwarts WILL.

Consider how closed off they are to the outside world of magic. Sure the bigger players might know about Ofuda and consider it not a big deal but the students of Hogwart, no that ability is terrorizing and strange to them. Some students know that Shinji can make ofuda but most have no idea what he can do with it. It's not like Shinji been going around showing every student his ofuda skills and what it does. Heck the ministry actively suppressed spreading knowledge about his ofuda skills when they removed it from the Play.

So yeah if you want to go without rocking the boat here and pick an option that does not generate a lot of heat on Shinji and smack people that Shinji has skills then I highely reccomend you reconsider the Ofuda pick here. That shit will raise flags with Hogwarts students. And frankly it just showcases to them how much Shinji is not one of them when he uses foreign magic in this.

Frankly my goal here is not to have Shinji look awesome but to just get the job done. So let's not go hogwild on ofuda here. Sure use them a little but don't go showing off their main ability of sealing.

[X] Neutralize Krum's troops, so they can't reinforce the other Champion

Blog Entries
    Yes, I find it strange that you do not wish to expose Shinji but you're willing to reveal his main branch of study? Does not compute all too well imo.

What I want of Shinji here is to disturb the support. It doesn't even matter if he defeats all of them, as long as he keeps them busy.

Voted so we get a tie, and hopefully not to end up with the ofuda pick here.
    Last edited by Daiki; October 20th, 2018 at 02:46 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So, typical shounen reactive motivation? No concrete career choice, no solid plan for future education/training/path.
    Well, he doesn't want to work for Magical Britain, since he believes the current regime is doomed, which does limit his opportunities. And well, he isn't an alchemist, so it isn't as if he would go to the Centre for Alchemical Studies.

His best chance really is working closely with someone like Lockhart, who is apparently quite skilled at helping people improve, if Pansy is any indication.

You might consider the use of Ofuda to seal people as unimpressive or not worthy of remembering but I ensure you the people of Hogwarts WILL
    Uh?

Yes, I find it strange that you do not wish to expose Shinji but you're willing to reveal his main branch of study?
    Huh?

Guys, I feel like someone has failed a couple of Wisdom checks here.

BLIND
    Blinding people is not Binding, a bright flash can be easily achieved by a first year student in Hogwarts, as was demonstrated by Hermione against that plant horror during Philosopher debauchery. Don't be dramatic, "Shinji" will be barely relevant in the fighting.

Unless we actually intend to Seal individual opponents' sight instead of continuously using explosive ofuda as flash grenades. That would be so inefficient, the thought pains my sensibilities. (Why not Bind their movements completely then? What's the point?)

Hm.
    Last edited by Malorius; October 20th, 2018 at 07:22 PM.

Guys, I feel like someone has failed a couple of Wisdom checks here.
    There are better ways for pointing out my failure to read the word correctly then that. Simply point out it was Blind as in can't see and be done with it.

Bringing up wisdom checks seem a bit insulting. That being said my brain just self corrected the word to another word that was similar to it. It happens. Some people brains are wired like that.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; October 20th, 2018 at 08:27 PM.