Page 143 of 143 FirstFirst ... 4393133138141142143
Results 2,841 to 2,853 of 2853

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Broken Chains (HP/FSN CYOA)

[x] Give his all
    [x] Depends on the battle's flow
    [x] (write-in) the champion of Mahoutokoro

リビングデッド Living Dead
    Choice 182:
    [x] Give his all

[x] Aggressive, but not all-in

Choice 183:
    [x] (write-in)
    Elesa Labelle, Potions Champion of Ilvermorny

Btw, Darth Plagueis reference is rather troubling. Will our Harry die tragically and then return as the evil mastermind of ep. 7, The wizardry awakens?
    Last edited by neophyte; July 18th, 2017 at 08:17 AM.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    If you have questions, comments or such, I'm on IRC!
    "The palaces of kings are built upon the ruins of the bowers of paradise." - Thomas Paine

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I would prefer to have more votes before coming to a decision. As such, voting will remain open for 48 hours.

In the meantime, I'm beginning to write Chapter 57: Ethics in Journalism
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; Today at 02:43 AM.
    "The palaces of kings are built upon the ruins of the bowers of paradise." - Thomas Paine

Alf, could we get a rundown of the participants and what little knowledge we can grasp from them?

Aside from that, I would like to remind you guys that this is a key year for Shinji, one that will seal other paths for him, in which he will have to pick allies and factions. There is no turning back once we set on a course of action so I would be extra careful in revealing our game, talents or preferences to all. I am not telling you to change your votes, simply to keep in mind that being short-sided could cause trouble down the line.

Anyway;

[x] Give his all.

In which we make a statement that even if we are not skillful, we still give our best. Shinji is unlikely to win but it does not matter. What matters is that he goes all out when facing an obstacle.

The champions might see someone who is too proud to back down, a guy who overestimates himself or a person who still gives it a go in spite of odds being against them. Positive or not, we are telling them that we will be pushing forward no matter the challenge.

[x] Depends on the battle's flow.

Now this one is important for few reasons.

First off; we cannot decently display in the open the full extent of one (if not the only) edge we have over our rivals. Even if we plan to form an alliance with some of them, there is always time to reveal our skills during a more appropriate time when we are not surrounded by more experienced students.

Secondly, it pairs up nicely with the previous message we gave off (see my previous vote). What does it mean concretely;
    While Shinji is willing to push forward regardless of what's ahead, he has a clear reading of the flow of battles. In short, he acts and reacts after gathering information.

It makes him appear as someone who won't give in to pressure (hard task? I'll just do my best regardless), and who does assess situations and react accordingly (careful, adaptable and reliable in combat). Not a hot-headed idiot in over his head.

Meaning he is a good party to have on your side. And someone not to underestimate.

I think nobody will disagree that it's important to boost our appeal without revealing too much. And who knows? Some champions might abandon the idea to engage the hostilities themselves, reducing the risks of ambushes.
    Last edited by Daiki; Yesterday at 07:53 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I've been asked to give a short rundown of the Champions, so I suppose I'll go about doing so...

The Chosen Eleven
    by Horace Slughorn, Special Correspondent, Daily Prophet

Across the breadth and width of the Wizarding World, magical nations often disagree - fiercely - on a number of fronts blustering at one another in outrage over violations of the Statute of Secrecy (to which this correspondent agrees with former Minister Bagnold's assertion of a nation's right to party), disgruntlement over poorly written - or implemented - trade agreements, or taking issue with the (often disgraceful) behavior of young people in the modern era.

In the area of education especially, the International Confederation of Warlocks has even been asked to weigh in whether the what children are taught should be left in the hands of each magical nation, allowing outmoded traditions and inefficient customs to linger due to sentiment, or whether education should be standardized according to modern principles, with students trained in the use of wands and not in the use of the Dark Arts, such as is the case at Hogwarts, which many consider to be the finest educational institution in the world.

Still, for all the disagreements that inevitably arise in any interaction between people - and nations - once every seven years, the wizarding world puts aside its issues, turning its attention instead to the Isle of Thule, where the Wizarding Schools Potions Championship, a competition of potioneering skill and magical excellence, has been held since its inception in 1407.

On that ancient isle, the last foothold of some of the most dangerous magical beasts in the history of the world, representatives from each of the Confederation-accredited schools will gather for an ordeal that will test their mind, body and soul, as they strive to become not simply the Champion of their respective institution of learning, but Champion of the World.

In all the centuries in which the Championship has been held, there have been only a handful of schools deemed worthy of competing on that grand stage, with the highest prize usually going to one of four.

Uagadou, the oldest institution of its sort in the world.

Mahoutokoro, a small but venerable institution in the East.

Koldovstorez, one of the newest of the schools, with a reputation for savagery.

And of course, Hogwarts, the finest institution of learning in the Wizarding World, which had the honor of producing the first Potions Champion of the World.

Unfortunately, this year, the International Confederation of Warlocks has chosen to compromise the ancient principles on which the Championship was founded by allowing any Confederation-accredited school to send a representative to the Championship, without mandating some minimum qualification in the strength of a school's potions curriculum or some test to ensure that only capable Champions are selected.

While this correspondent has no doubt of the skill that will be demonstrated by the representatives of Koldovstorez, Mahoutokoro, and Uagadou, not to mention our very own Champion from Hogwarts, one must wonder what upstarts like the Americans or like the students of Durmstrang are doing in this place, when by all accounts, their curriculum is slanted towards the Dark Arts and magical warfare, not the subtle art of potions.

Are they taught to stopper death, bottle fame, brew glory?

No. No, they are not, and yet they will be here, sullying this hallowed ground, and so must be included on the roster of this year's competitors, who are as follows:

Ayaka Sajyou, Champion of Mahoutokoro, a raven-haired witch who practices the Eastern mysteries and is said to have a special talent for Herbology.

Olu Akindele, Champion of Uagadou, a capable wizard known for being a Hippopotamus animagus and the former captain of Uagadou's synchronized transformation team

Mischa Stukov, Champion of Koldovstorez, a young prodigy in the world of Alchemy and a powerful duelist, said to be descended from the hero who defeated their own Dark Lord.

Rachelle Lestrange, Champion of Beauxbatons, another young Alchemist, descended from the founder of the Center of Alchemial Studies, with a reputation for ruthlessness and a penchant for poisons.

Rachelle Sondrol, Champion of Durmstrang, unofficially styled Field Marshal of the Durmstrang Institute for her martial prowess.

Elesa Labelle, Champion of Ilvermorny, a popular model in wizarding America.

Ka'aukai Kapule, Champion of Nu'utea Kohu, master astronomer and Chief Navigator of the Ever-Distant Fleet. Also said to be a whale animagus.

Libatius Müller, Champion of Castelobruxo, author of Have Yourself a Fiesta in a Bottle! 2, a modern followup to the work by noted ancestor Libatius Borage.

Parambir Agarwal, Champion of Tamirsthana, the school founded for colonials in what the Muggles styled the British Empire, noted for his skill in transfiguration.

Ramona Ahgeak, Champion of Qausuittuq, an Inupiat witch with a talent for divination and ice charms.

And of course, Matou Shinji, Champion of Hogwarts, who needs no introduction.

In the weeks to come, they will compete both for national honor, and for personal glory, risking it all to leave their mark on the world. Who will live, who will die, and who will become the Champion of the World?

It is not this correspondent's place to speculate, though one hopes that the victor will be deserving.

Happy to discuss this on IRC, if you all want!
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; Yesterday at 09:38 PM.

リビングデッド Living Dead
    Mhm, so Slughorn-sensei spells Koldovstorez foreignly aswell. For russian speaker it would be Koldovstvorez, as in 'sorcery maker'.
    Last edited by neophyte; Yesterday at 11:42 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
    Mhm, so Slughorn-sensei spells Koldovstorez foreignly aswell. For russian speaker it would be Koldovstvorez, as in 'sorcery maker'.
    Mm, good to know. Going by Rowling spellings though, sadly. Otherwise, I wouldn't have used Mahoutokoro as a name!

If shinji goes, does he need to participate? can't he just watch?

[x] Parambir Agarwal, Champion of Tamirsthana, the school founded for colonials in what the Muggles styled the British Empire, noted for his skill in transfiguration.

I vote for this person because it's always nice to have someone who covers your weakness. Since Shinji is lacking in transfiguration, they make a nice choice. Also, Transfiguration is versatile and will come in handy in an environment full of stuff willing (or not) to take you out.

Why I didn't vote for Olu Akindele, who as an animagus should have be at an advanced level in Transfiguration, it is simply to make a point.

The Big Three (Japan, Africa and Russia) are the obvious guys people would be willing to befriend, and thus, would get enough attention already.
    On top of that given that Shinji occupies the slot of Hogwarts, who hasn't participated in a century in spite of doing well in the past, while being underage would make him appear pretentious were he to approach openly one of the top dogs this soon. If we are to get close to them or the champion of Russia, I would wait to see if we have impressed them beforehand.

Meanwhile someone who is an upstart, might be more open to engage in a conversation with Shinji. Hence Parambir makes more sense.

As for Ka'aukai Kapule, they might not be as good when it comes to Transfiguration because they are also an Astronomer. While Divination could help out quite a bit, the animagus form wouldn't be of much help in-land. So let's go with the one who is noted for their sure skill.

Well, it's not like the alliance is a sealed deal from the get go. For now, it's information gathering and introducing ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    It's not mandatory but if you skip it, it's not fair for you to observe people revealing their talents while you don't risk anything.

My guess anyway.
    Last edited by Daiki; Today at 02:33 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    Yes, he can just watch. He's not going to be able to impress anyone or show them why he's a good candidate for an alliance/someone who should not be ganked/etc though. Also, it will probably irritate Slughorn.

Chapter 57
    . Ethics in Journalism

Horace Slughorn grimaced as the clock in his office struck midnight, and Christmas Day of 1994 slipped away into the past, with his work for the evening not quite finished. Under ordinary circumstances he would enjoying a rather large glass of wine about now, instead of troubling himself with something as troublesome as writing an article for the propaganda machine the Daily Prophet had become, but then, it wasn’t as if he had much of a choice.

Not if he wanted to go to the Isle of Thule to cover the Wizarding Schools Potions Championship as a Special Correspondent for the Prophet.

‘I would much rather go in place of the Boy-Who-Lived, but neither he nor Mister Matou seem to appreciate all the time and effort I have gone through on their behalf. Mister Potter is busy, I understand, but as for Mister Matou, between wasting my time by skipping out on our tutorials without a word, sullying his image – and mine, as his teacher – with his lecherous antics, and failing to invite me to the Isle at all, I have become rather tired of dealing with him.’

It really was too bad that the Wizengamot would not allow the Boy-Who-Lived to participate in the Championship – or even go to the isle – due to the possible risks to his person, as he would have made for a far better representative of the British people than the current selection. Still, knowing how the game was played, Slughorn had been expecting to profit from the boy’s misfortune, with Potter either giving him his ticket directly, or – more likely – passing it to Matou Shinji, as a way for the boy to make up for the trouble he’d caused.

Alas, proving he was a true ignoramus where politics and favors were concerned, the Potions Champion of Hogwarts (and what a joke that was, given his inexperience and how shoddy he was at potions!) had not passed along the item in question, forcing him to resort to calling in a number of favors from some of his former students.

‘Frustrating. Utterly frustrating.’

All things considered, though, that was of a piece with the rest of the year so far.

Being perfectly honest, he’d only returned to the position of Potions Master of Hogwarts because the prospect of becoming known as the mentor for the Boy-Who-Lived and the British Potions Champion had been too much to pass up, especially if the Hogwarts representative were to become World Champion – a title that the school had not held in over a hundred years.

That had been before the Quidditch Incident, and all the changes that had happened since, such as Britain deciding to conscript Seventh Years as the core of a new army, Harry Potter being given official responsibilities as Youth Representative (and becoming far too busy to be trained), and Matou Shinji going insane and throwing away all the goodwill he’d garnered over the past three years out of some misguided quest for justice.

In that, Slughorn thought the Champion to be an idealistic fool, who didn’t understand how the world worked – especially when he was a foreigner in a country not his own, and so poisoned the reputations of everyone around him.

‘It is simply too bad that Miss Lovegood is utterly enthralled by him, given how the recent press coverage has made clear how much he has been taking advantage of her trust. I hope the young lady finds it within herself to leave him, before he does something even he cannot justify.’

Still, if his frustrations had been limited to that caused by the misadventures of an overly hormonal Champion, his time at Hogwarts wouldn’t have been a complete waste, since he could have still sought students who were well connected, or showed true promise in some field of magic for his inner circle.

Alas, Gilderoy Lockhart, of all people, had already covered that avenue, with his Ourea being well-regarded as a possible stepping stone to joining the Stone Cutter Society (due to Miss Lovegood having done just that), and his Consul system – even more so than becoming a prefect – was considered a good way for students to learn about leadership in action.

For the life of him, Slughorn couldn’t understand just how someone he remembered as a lazy, attention-seeking boy who never bothered honing either his magic or his social skills, had managed to rise so far – or how Lockhart was now able to mentor others.

The Potions Master was also more than half-convinced that the Winter Festival was something that Lockhart had proposed to snub him, given that Slughorn’s invitations to private parties and gatherings were not seen as anything special when most professors were issuing them – including the so-called greatest adventurer in Britain.

(Oh, how it rankled for students to turn down invitations to his events in favor of those thrown by that young upstart!)

Every one of the candidates he wished to cultivate for the future had already been drawn into Lockhart’s sphere of influence, and with the heightened security restrictions around Hogwarts, it wasn’t as if he could invite a celebrity guest or two to his gatherings to try and lure them away by showing them how far former members of the Slug Club had risen.

Indeed, the only two celebrities who were often in the castle were Gilderoy Lockhart himself and Luna Lovegood, the young Stone Cutter who ran the Ourea, and was thus clearly in the adventurer’s orbit.

He’d hoped that by being the mentor to Harry Potter and Matou Shinji, he could counter this to extent, but…

‘…things just didn’t work out, I suppose.’

He found himself wondering sometimes it would even be worth returning to Hogwarts next year, or if he should just go back into retirement again, so that he wouldn’t have to deal with Aurors every day, create lesson plans, or chafe under travel restrictions that meant he couldn’t even go to Hogsmeade or see his old students whenever he wished.

‘Surely they could find someone to replace me. Or maybe not. I don’t think Severus encouraged many people to pursue potions, with severe demeanor and lack of compassion. Brilliant potioneer, that one, but utterly wasted as a professor. Frankly, he would have been better suited as an Unspeakable.’

The man sighed, shaking his head.

If only young Severus had been younger still, Slughorn wouldn’t have minded seeing him as Potions Champion.

But it was not to be, and instead Britain was stuck with…who they were stuck with.

An immature, overconfident boy of middling skill who hadn’t devoted himself to preparing for the Championship, didn’t begin to realize just how outclassed he was, and frankly, didn’t have any business being the British Champion when he wasn’t even a British Citizen.

What had young Severus been thinking, when he picked that boy for such a position?

‘Perhaps he took leave of his senses. He must have, to leave Hogwarts – and his position on the International Potions Committee – before the Championship.’

If it had been Slughorn on that Committee…

‘…but it wasn’t. And so, when I go to the isle – if I go the isle, I will not have a seat among the members of the Committee. I will not be honored as one of them. I will likely not be treated with the respect due a Master Potioneer.’

After all, he’d be going as a member of the press.

‘Which, all said and told, is better than not going at all, so I had best return to writing that piece for the Prophet. If I don’t get it finished and sent off soon, it won’t be part of this morning’s edition, and if it isn’t, even my old student may not be able to guarantee me the position of Special Correspondent. Not if someone like Gilderoy Lockhart were to seek it, given his own contacts with the Prophet.’

And so, in wee hours of the morning, the Potions Master of Hogwarts wrote on, until eventually something approaching publishable was finished, and he sent it out to London, hoping that it had been in time.

That morning, on page two of the Daily Prophet, a small article ran. Perhaps, had there not been a scandal of epic proportions involving the British Potions Champion and the part-Veela Fleur Delacour, it would have made the front page, with a picture of Matou Shinji with Hector Dagworth-Granger, the founder of the Most Extraordinary Society of Potioneers – who had endorsed him as Champion.

As it was, however, it was not deemed prominent or catchy enough for the front page, as the editors of the Prophet knew that a picture of the beautiful veela with the British Champion would sell many copies, especially the compromising position they had been photographed in.

Still, for those who read beyond the front page and were genuinely curious about the upcoming Championship, the article was an interesting introduction to the topic, even if it was, in some places, a bit sparing on the details.

CHAMPION OF THE WORLD?
    by Horace Slughorn, Special Correspondent, Daily Prophet

Across the breadth and width of the Wizarding World, magical nations often disagree - fiercely - on a number of fronts blustering at one another in outrage over violations of the Statute of Secrecy (to which this correspondent agrees with former Minister Bagnold's assertion of a nation's right to party), disgruntlement over poorly written - or implemented - trade agreements, or taking issue with the (often disgraceful) behavior of young people in the modern era.

In the area of education especially, the International Confederation of Warlocks has even been asked to weigh in whether the what children are taught should be left in the hands of each magical nation, allowing outmoded traditions and inefficient customs to linger due to sentiment, or whether education should be standardized according to modern principles, with students trained in the use of wands and not in the use of the Dark Arts, such as is the case at Hogwarts, which many consider to be the finest educational institution in the world.

Still, for all the disagreements that inevitably arise in any interaction between people - and nations - once every seven years, the wizarding world puts aside its issues, turning its attention instead to the Isle of Thule, where the Wizarding Schools Potions Championship, a competition of potioneering skill and magical excellence, has been held since its inception in 1407.

On that ancient isle, the last foothold of some of the most dangerous magical beasts in the history of the world, representatives from each of the Confederation-accredited schools will gather for an ordeal that will test their mind, body and soul, as they strive to become not simply the Champion of their respective institution of learning, but Champion of the World.

In all the centuries in which the Championship has been held, there have been only a handful of schools deemed worthy of competing on that grand stage, with the highest prize usually going to one of four.

The Uagadou School of Magic, the largest wizarding school in Africa, and perhaps the oldest in the world.

Mahoutokoro, the smallest of the eleven accredited schools, but a venerable institution, all the same.

Koldovstorez, one of the newest of the schools, with a reputation for savagery.

And of course, Hogwarts, the finest institution of learning in the Wizarding World, which had the honor of producing the first Potions Champion of the World.

Unfortunately, this year, the International Confederation of Warlocks has chosen to compromise the ancient principles on which the Championship was founded by allowing any Confederation-accredited school to send a representative to the Championship, without mandating some minimum qualification in the strength of a school's potions curriculum or some test to ensure that only capable Champions are selected.

While this correspondent has no doubt of the skill that will be demonstrated by the representatives of Koldovstorez, Mahoutokoro, and Uagadou, not to mention our very own Champion from Hogwarts, one must wonder what upstarts like the Americans or like the students of Durmstrang are doing in this place, when by all accounts, their curriculum is slanted towards the Dark Arts and magical warfare, not the subtle art of potions.

Are they taught to stopper death, bottle fame, brew glory?

No. No, they are not, and yet they will be here, sullying this hallowed ground, and so must be included on the roster of this year's competitors, who are as follows:

Ayaka Sajyou, Champion of Mahoutokoro, a raven-haired witch who practices the Eastern mysteries and is said to have a special talent for Herbology.

Olu Akindele, Champion of Uagadou, a capable wizard known for being a Hippopotamus animagus and the former captain of Uagadou's synchronized transformation team

Mischa Stukov, Champion of Koldovstorez, a young prodigy in the world of Alchemy and a powerful duelist, said to be descended from the hero who defeated their own Dark Lord.

Rachelle Lestrange, Champion of Beauxbatons, a Alchemist descended from the founder of the Center of Alchemial Studies, with a reputation for ruthlessness and a penchant for poisons.

Rachelle Sondrol, Champion of Durmstrang, unofficially styled Field Marshal of the Durmstrang Institute for her martial prowess.

Elesa Labelle, Champion of Ilvermorny, a popular model in wizarding America.

Ka'aukai Kapule, Champion of Nu'utea Kohu, master astronomer and Chief Navigator of the Ever-Distant Fleet. Also said to be a whale animagus.

Libatius Müller, Champion of Castelobruxo, author of
    Have Yourself a Fiesta in a Bottle! 2, a modern followup to the work by his noted ancestor, Libatius Borage.

Parambir Agarwal, Champion of Tamirsthana, the school founded for colonials in what the Muggles styled the British Empire, noted for his skill in transfiguration.

Ramona Ahgeak, Champion of Qausuittuq, an Inupiat witch with a talent for divination and ice charms.

And of course, Matou Shinji, Champion of Hogwarts, who needs no introduction.

In the weeks to come, they will compete both for national honor, and for personal glory, risking it all to leave their mark on the world.

Who will live, who will die, and who will be crowned as Champion of the World?

It is not this correspondent's place to speculate, though one hopes that the competition will be thrilling, and victor, deserving of the honor.

Oddly, the most newsworthy event of the evening did not make the papers, but that was understandable, as very few knew it had happened at all. And even if more had known, if one was to say that Draco Malfoy had awakened from his coma, one would then have to explain just how he got there, and that was a mess the Office of Information simply wouldn't allow to be published.

Voting Remains Open for these two!Choice 182: What approach does he take to these each of the activities?

Cooking: How does he approach this? (choose one)

[3] Give his all
    [ ] Do a middling job
    [ ] Choose not to attend
    [ ] See what (write-in) is doing and copy him/her

Dueling Demonstration: (choose one)

[ ] Go All Out - Show that he is not to be trifled with
    [1] Aggressive, but not all-in
    [ ] Focus on endurance - the key is simply not to lose
    [2] Depends on the battle's flow
    [ ] Choose not to attend

And...

Choice 183: Which Champion is he the most curious about?
    [1] Parambir Agarwal, Champion of Tamirsthana, the school founded for colonials in what the Muggles styled the British Empire, noted for his skill in transfiguration.
    [1] Elesa Labelle, Potions Champion of Ilvermorny
    [1] Ayaka Sajyou, Champion of Mahoutokoro
    [ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; Today at 03:47 AM.

[X] Give his all
    [X] Depends on flow

Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer
    This really tempts me, but only because her ancestor defeated Zouken.

Is Ka'aukai Kapule the wizard Shinji and Luna met over the summer?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apsalar View Post
    Is Ka'aukai Kapule the wizard Shinji and Luna met over the summer?
    That's right.