Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gray names

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries

Gray names

We added a new feature for when people ask to get suspended from the forum. They get marked as "Inactive" and now will have their name appear gray until they want to come back, or whenever the date they gave is.

It's different from banning because it's not done for disciplinary reasons but simply because it's a favor when people want to focus on schoolwork, etc.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    Pingu
    Blog Entries
    Can O be gray but still post?

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Only when you become an old man.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    Pingu
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Only when you become an old man.
    Define old.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    When your hair color would match your new account color.

https://youtu.be/W3KYx1WDqBw Raylen Cypher's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    Cool feature. Does this feature block the member from posting, unless they request directly to a Mod/Admin for a return from absence/break?
    Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes
    A world where tragedy is the only measure by which a narrative holds value is not one I am going to live in even where the circumstances in a particular work are tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    If an adult themed work can have graphic slaughter and the like, it can have sex. Just do it competently if you want to go explicit.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    How dare you she's a married woman
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    No but why ask him to pull out right before the end tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    God is dead and I'm gonna kiss all his cute girl saints
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate
    F/GO JP (Updated: 4/11/2019)

JP Friend Code
    Pingu
    Blog Entries
    When your hair color would match your new account color.
    Premature greying is common though

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raylen Cypher View Post
    Cool feature. Does this feature block the member from posting, unless they request directly to a Mod/Admin for a return from absence/break?
    Yeah, it's just a ban except because the person wants it. Since it's not a punishment, we wanted to separate it out from actual real bans. The last time this came up was when food wanted to get suspended for a while to focus on school and when he wasn't he just broke so many rules he got banned for real.

If it happened today he'd just get gray name'd. Or in this case Polly did.

https://youtu.be/W3KYx1WDqBw Raylen Cypher's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, it's just a ban except because the person wants it. Since it's not a punishment, we wanted to separate it out from actual real bans. The last time this came up was when food wanted to get suspended for a while to focus on school and when he wasn't he just broke so many rules he got banned for real.

Thanks for the clarification and the feature. Temptation might get the better of someone. Although, I can't imagine it would be that bad, if they come back a day or hours later...

"Hey, Mod/Admin, I want to come back."

"What, didn't you just turn in a leave of absence?"

"Please! I just need to post something real qui-."

"No."

I think a time period set would also be wise.
    Last edited by Raylen Cypher; January 10th, 2016 at 02:00 AM.
    Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes
    A world where tragedy is the only measure by which a narrative holds value is not one I am going to live in even where the circumstances in a particular work are tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    If an adult themed work can have graphic slaughter and the like, it can have sex. Just do it competently if you want to go explicit.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    How dare you she's a married woman
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    No but why ask him to pull out right before the end tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    God is dead and I'm gonna kiss all his cute girl saints
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate
    F/GO JP (Updated: 4/11/2019)

If only this could have been done sooner, if only you were faster in becoming admins, my friend would still be here today. I'll never forgive you.

JP Friend Code
    Pingu
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    If only this could have been done sooner, if only you were faster in becoming admins, my friend would still be here today. I'll never forgive you.
    This. No irony.

.....wait, isn't the last time this came up when Seika actually did it successfully by giving the admins a timetable of when she'd return?
    Come visit Mobius Space where
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    It's actually come up a few times. The food incident was just the one that caused a blow up.

Blog Entries
    And NewAge. And I'm sure at least one other person.

Frankly, I don't have any sympathy for people whose reaction to not being allowed to get banned is to start flaming and the like, instead of trying to improve their self-control. Nothing could be farther from why I voted for this to go through. But polite requests made reasonably are now getting some shrift.

As to the question of timetables, we have adopted that as official policy. We'll require you to give us a date to lift the ban. Partly because you can't contact us on here, being banned, and partly so we're reassured you have some measure of control in your life still.

Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Grey usernames are for users who have requested to be banned on their own initiative. We require them to give us an exact timetable (and preferably a reason), but there's no official mark against them and they'll come back according to their schedule.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    This is nice. I approve. Thank you, admins, it's nice of you to go out of your way to do this.
    Would I just PM an admin with time & reason if I wanted to be suspended?
    Now Loading...

[15:09] <KnightTurtle> "I WILL NOT DIE FOR THE BEAUTY OF MATH. MATH IS MY SOUL AND BLOOD, MY PASSION. MATH IS WHAT KEEPS THE WORLD RIGHT. I WILL ON FOR THE BEAUTY OF NUMBER CRUNCHING, THE MIND NUMBING ABILITY OF CALCULUS, THE SOUL OF THE BARE BASICS OF ARITHMETIC"
    [21:21] <+EnigmaticFellow> we derive fun from integration

Blog Entries
    I'd expect that to be the way. If people didn't mind fessing up publicly, they could use this thread, but I imagine most will want to approach whomever on the staff they find the most sympathetic - mod or admin, as either tier ought to be able to do it - and make the request.

To be perfectly honest, we haven't worked out the full procedure, since Polly's request went through along with the general matter of this change to the policy. But my thought is that the staff member approached will simply tell the rest of us that someone's requested to go Inactive, and act on that, probably keeping the exact reasons to themselves because they tend to involve RL and be sensitive. If they have some concern about the reason given, they might refer it to the full team for a vote, but that would be an exceptional circumstance.

If the rest of the staff have some other idea, I might well be overruled and this could change, but proceed in accordance with it until told otherwise, I guess?
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    This is a Good Decision. I will probably make use of it at some point.

now, unban food when?

Blog Entries
    The day I also unban every single spam bot that wants to vomit kitchens all over these forums.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    The day I unironically announce to the world that fujimura taiga is over used in fate works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries