Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In Consideration of Courtesies Exchanged

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    Fly free.

---------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Gl❀w; February 6th, 2021 at 12:10 AM.

Blog Entries
    oh my god I'm so bad

how the hell was I reading Reines as a manservant that came with the title
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by @Keo View Post
    oh my god I'm so bad

how the hell was I reading Reines as a manservant that came with the title
    I....what?

Blog Entries
    Yes, I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

How the hell did that happen?

the tortured magi department Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like how the Reines and Luvia parallel is being played for a type of discomfort Waver finds in both of them as people that isn't strangely Freudian or anything like that. Instead, it seems to be a commentary on how even in different factions that Reines and Luvia are both engaged in a kind of involvement in political posturing that Waver does not know how to relate to in the same way. In that way, this reads like the set-up to a political drama as well as an interpersonal one. Reines's tone amuses me because she seems like the kind of person who has rehearsed a certain interaction in her head, scripted it out, and rather than getting frustrated when Waver fails to say his line, she just continues on as if he did so as to continue her little power play. Looking forward to seeing how that works out for her.
    Last edited by Prix with a Silent X; February 2nd, 2016 at 05:41 PM.
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Grail Grand Prix View Post
    I like how the Reines and Luvia parallel is being played for a type of discomfort Waver finds in both of them as people that isn't strangely Freudian or anything like that. Instead, it seems to be a commentary on how even in different factions that Reines and Luvia are both engaged in a kind of involvement in political posturing that Waver does not know how to relate to in the same way. In that way, this reads like the set-up to a political drama as well as an interpersonal one.
    Yes! Waver is really too bourgeois to be blue collar and too blue collar to be bourgeois. So he kind of has a certain sensitivity to picking up habitual trends of all these aristocratic types. Also, I'm glad you mentioned political drama because that certainly is a place I want to take this. But I will keep the details of that close to my chest lest it spoil the fun.

Reines's tone amuses me because she seems like the kind of person who has rehearsed a certain interaction in her head, scripted it out, and rather than getting frustrated when Waver fails to say his line, she just continues on as if he did so as to continue her little power play. Looking forward to seeing how that works out for her.
    You know, this is hilarious to me because I wasn't thinking of it that way at the time, but you're completely right. This is exactly what's happening. When Waver goes off script, Reines is just like, "Excuse me, I am in the middle of a conversation here, no questions please."

I like how all this situation make waver think about his life.
    All be say the political drama in this one looks interesting.
    Now wait for the next chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by skulkidcachi90 View Post
    I like how all this situation make waver think about his life.
    All be say the political drama in this one looks interesting.
    Now wait for the next chapter.
    Thank you! I'm glad you like it.

Blog Entries
    Some things I spotted:

Prologue I
    It started, somehow, with a suggestion, as most things do.
    Had started and did.

He knew very well that these lofty blue-blood mage families
    "these" seems superfluous.

He remembered Reines mentioning once, about Kayneth’s engagement.
    Incorrect sentence structure.
    "He remembered Reines telling of how Kayneth had gotten engaged."

It was sound in theory- everyone trying to increase their magical potential
    could use another space before the -
    Also, it's not their magical potential. It's the potential of their bloodline, which is something different.

Yes, he’d determined.
    This bit seems off - maybe something like "Yes, this way was best." or the like.

He’d mail it over and the task would be done and he would spare both himself and her the experience of pretending they in any way cared about each other
    You've got X and Y and Z. The usual way of structuring this is to write X,Y, and Z.
    Bit of a run-on sentence problem, too.
    I'd suggest "He'd mail it over and be done with it. That way, he could spare himself and her the experience...."

The smaller box, of course, contained a ring bearing an Old European-cut diamond personally selected by Reines
    The "of course" doesn't serve much of a purpose in the sentence, and it's unclear what "Old European-cut" diamond means. It's explained in the second part of the prologue, but if Waver doesn't know what it looks like I don't see why he'd remember its cut.

Waver spent very little time looking at it;
    had spent

she certainly would have option and forewarning to call off the whole matter
    the option
    I'd also make it "forewarning enough" and "to be able to call off"

The terms outlined the political and financial expectations between the two families once the deed was done.
    Seems a bit clunky to refer to the terms and conditions this way, but otherwise the previous sentence drags on.

A not-insignificant part of Waver’s gut hoped his potential bride-to-be would take as long as she wanted….and longer.
    I'd remove the "potential", and the ellipsis.
    Also, I suggest making it "and longer besides."

Just because one has the option of agreeing-or refusing- doesn’t mean he would have sought it out on his own.
    Just because he'd been given the choice of agreeing - or refusing - didn't mean he'd have sought it out on his own.

Waver knew there was some passive-aggression in this act, marrying off a third generation mage such as himself into a centuries old family.
    It's passive-aggressiveness, I think.

decided there were worse matches and worse affiliations
    Could make that "even worse affiliations", if you so wished.

This is pretty good so far. I suppose there's a bit too much you're telling that you could've shown, but I'm by no means a good writer myself, so I can't help much with that.

Prologue II
    She slid her finger underneath the seal
    Her finger? I'd have thought she'd used her fingernail.

A quiet huff of laughter.
    This sentence could use a verb, IMO. "escaped her" or the like.

Although she had not herself initiated these talks
    She herself had not initiated...

it seemed like a pretty standard formal agreement.
    The word "pretty" clashes with the more formal language used so far. I think something like "relatively" would fit better in the context.

When negotiations were nearing completion, she had anticipated that this was coming.
    From the moment the negotiations had neared completion she'd anticipated this was coming.

What a ninny, she thought.
    Heh.

She would reserve her excitement until she confirmed authenticity and specifications.
    its authencity and specifications.

One hand remained grasping the tiny box while the other picked up the letter and various enclosures.
    With one hand, she grasped the tiny box, while....

The loupe retrieved
    Repeating "loupe" breaks the flow somewhat. Make this something like "Then...", maybe?

She'd have preferred VVS1, of course-- fewer inclusions meant better energy flow all around, even if you weren't using it as a functional magecraft gem-- but she supposed you can't have everything.
    You use -- here, but in other parts you use -.
    Also, can't -> couldn't.

Apparently they took this offer very seriously.
    were taking

If he took the time to write it, she may as well give him a chance to state his own case before she decided to call off the match and waste months of back-and-forth correspondences.
    If he'd taken
    she might as well

spritzed it tauntingly with perfume,
    He doesn't seem to have noticed. Poor Luvia.
    Echoing what HGGP said. You could maybe add a bit more during the description and inspection of the diamond to make it clearer she's doing it to distract her from the fact she'd be getting married. That's the feeling I got about it, at least.

Chapter One:

the nature of the overlaps between basic foundational magics and the miracles cited in the Church’s Holy Scripture
    "the nature of the overlaps" is awkward phrasing. I'd rephrase it to "how the basic foundational magics and the miracles cited in the Church’s Holy Scripture overlapped".

His eyes darted to the woman’s left hand where the excessively large ring winked in the afternoon sunlight.
    "the woman" seems superfluous. "to her left hand" is what I'd make it.

A peal of grating laughter erupted from her, her delicate hand reaching to cover her mouth.
    You've really captured the essence of Luvia here.

“Oh, my dear Lord El-Melloi,” she cooed. (“The Second,” he grumbled correctively.)
    I've always been told not to use () when writing stories, so this could be rewritten.
    "Oh, my dear Lord El-Melloi," she cooed, ignoring his instinctive correction that he was the second head.

He thought he’d been impressively thorough.
    This is a nice little callback to Luvia wondering if he or the El-Melloi legal team had written the terms. You're pretty good at that kind of thing.

he’d been sure that these old families would want to go through the hard copy
    "These" is unnecessary, IMO.

“Oh, you can’t be serious, Master Velvet,”
    Master Velvet? Seems odd to refer to him that way. I'd expect Professor Velvet, since she was his student.

When this whole affair began, she’d rather thought she’d be married to one of the Archisorte cousins, or perhaps one of the various Archibald remnants.
    Before this whole affair began, she'd thought....

may even help delay the eventual deterioration process of centuries-old magic circuits
    Might even help.

They grew up in the same circles
    They'd grown up

Chapter Two

All it takes is a little water and a little attention.
    Hooray for symbolism!

It had been awhile since he was last in this place.
    a while since he'd last been here.

Everyone knew that Waver Velvet was some kind of exceptional deviation from an otherwise hard-and-fast rule. Everyone knew that where these things were concerned, Waver Velvet simply didn’t count.
    This seems a little too self-aggrandizing for Waver.

“And blame it on Guilder, I assume,”
    I don't quite get this reference.

the notion of offing your spouse to steal their personal researches wasn’t entirely unheard of in mage society.
    You make this particular error a lot. It's its own multiple form, "researches" is as far as I know incorrect.

“Certainly you do seem to be in love with magecraft. In a way you could even call yourself an investigator of magecraft. But if you really knew magecraft, you would understand that all you are doing is destroying it."
    I see you're incorporating Case Files here.
    Out of curiosity, can you read moonrunes, or do you read along with the translations like the rest of us plebs?
    If it's the first, you'll have to dance around possible spoilers for those who can't read Japanese. Well, "have to" - it'd be appreciated.

It was a statement that reverberated around in his mind over the years.
    had reverbated

tapping her finger to her cheek as though contemplating
    thoughtfully.
    You have a new line where there shouldn't be one.

To summarize thus far: this isn't something I'd thought I'd be interested in, but so far I actually am. Good work.
    I wonder if other members of Luvia's family will show up, though, instead of being mentioned in passing.

Holy crap, you're impressively thorough! Want to be my beta?

Most of those are deliberate style choices for voice effect, but I see there were a few errors that weren't intended that I'll go back and fix.

A couple specific things:
    The Master Velvet note: I went back and forth on this in my head, but "Master" is actually used in one of his nicknames ("Master V") so I went with it in the end. I don't think Luvia would actually use something so informal and familiar, but I think she wouldn't mind using the general idea of it to be cheeky.

The self-aggrandizement: Actually, it's intended to be self-deprecating. Waver knows his place these days. It's more a point of how Reines probably isn't making a point with this, because he's not the sort of person they'd be trying to help out in the first place. Their faction helps out talented youngsters, not ones who are barely capable of magecraft.

Guilder: Princess Bride reference. I recommend watching the whole film, but this clip should do it. Waver's about the right age that this movie would have been something he'd have seen and probably enjoyed growing up, before his parents died and he sold his soul to attend Clock Tower.

Symbolism: Yay! Someone noticed!!

It's explained in the second part of the prologue, but if Waver doesn't know what it looks like I don't see why he'd remember its cut.
    Well, it's kind of a distinctive cut, and Waver makes it his business to know a ton of things about magecraft that have nothing to do with him. I think he'd recognize it on those grounds alone. But your point is taken. I'll think about it.

I see you're incorporating Case Files here.
    Out of curiosity, can you read moonrunes, or do you read along with the translations like the rest of us plebs?
    If it's the first, you'll have to dance around possible spoilers for those who can't read Japanese. Well, "have to" - it'd be appreciated.
    I do read the translations, yeah. Right now I've just read what's translated here on BL, the full-story summary someone posted here, and poking around to find out what I can regarding worldbuilding information from the second installment. I'm trying to only pull out the information necessary to the story, and I will keep in mind to make it as non-spoilery as I can for the people who haven't read what's out there.

To summarize thus far: this isn't something I'd thought I'd be interested in, but so far I actually am. Good work.
    I wonder if other members of Luvia's family will show up, though, instead of being mentioned in passing.
    Considering the fine toothed comb you just used on me, I'll take this as high praise, haha. Yes, you'll get to meet at least one other member of Luvia's family starting next chapter. Thanks for taking the time to give feedback. I wasn't kidding about that beta thing, if you're interested let me know.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow View Post
    Holy crap, you're impressively thorough! Want to be my beta? (...) I wasn't kidding about that beta thing, if you're interested let me know.
    Well, in my opinion, a beta is more someone who also points out "mistakes" or the like in pacing, characterization, the plot in general, that kind of thing. Not having written much, let alone published, I don't think I can offer much advice in those areas. Not to mention my knowledge of what's canon and what's not is rather lacking.

If you want me to nitpick my way through what you've written or will write, though, sure. It'd be my pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by NMR-3 View Post
    Well, in my opinion, a beta is more someone who also points out "mistakes" or the like in pacing, characterization, the plot in general, that kind of thing. Not having written much, let alone published, I don't think I can offer much advice in those areas. Not to mention my knowledge of what's canon and what's not is rather lacking.

If you want me to nitpick my way through what you've written or will write, though, sure. It'd be my pleasure.
    I already have someone who does most of that other stuff, but unless it's something egregious, grammar slips through the cracks. I think she also knows too much about what I'm going for at this point to pick up on what might seem strange other people. Extra technical feedback is always helpful.

What would be the best way to send you documents/content?

Blog Entries
    I already have someone who does most of that other stuff, but unless it's something egregious, grammar slips through the cracks. I think she also knows too much about what I'm going for at this point to pick up on what might seem strange other people. Extra technical feedback is always helpful.

What would be the best way to send you documents/content?
    PMs, I suppose? I know writers on other fora use groups to crowdsource their beta work, but it seems those are mainly used as fan clubs here.

Who stole my donuts!? Leo Novum's Avatar
    Good lord, being Waver is indeed full of suffering! I like where this is going so far.
    If I'm an unknown being, then the way I can change is unknown, too…
    So all I have to do… is make them not-unknown.
    - Teddie, Perona 4

Spoiler:

Say what again, I dare you!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Novum View Post
    Good lord, being Waver is indeed full of suffering! I like where this is going so far.
    Poor Waver just can't catch a break, ever.

---------------------------
    Last edited by Gl❀w; February 6th, 2021 at 12:11 AM.

Who stole my donuts!? Leo Novum's Avatar
    Best of luck blaming that one on Guilder
    Is this a reference to The Princess Bride?

And your job, my dear, is to find out what it is.
    Damn, the politics and intrigue is thickening!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Novum View Post
    Is this a reference to The Princess Bride?
    It definitely is, yes!

Damn, the politics and intrigue is thickening!
    The ride has only just begun ; )
    Last edited by Gl❀w; February 8th, 2016 at 12:03 AM.