Page 1 of 90 12361151 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Fanfiction Writing Thread (Solicit Advice Here)

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries

Miscellaneous Fanfiction Writing Thread (Solicit Advice Here)

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    this is less a fanfic idea than it is a fanfic forum idea, but i feel like we should maybe have something like a questions thread but for fanfics. one that'd be used for general writing questions, or questions that are a bit too fanficy for the general questions thread. like a mix between miscellaneous thoughts/questions thread and a public beta thread

maybe it's a dumb idea, but i feel like it could help 'revive' this subforum or whatever. it'd promote discussion that might incite people to write or to find solutions to problems they've come across while writing
    Hi. What are some of the people who click on threads in this forum doing? What are you writing lately?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Writing another chapter of False/Trinity while thinking of how long it'll take me to get to the hammy stuff I want to write.

Also cursing my inability to decide on an idea for the fanfic contest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The usual. Dunno if I should start working on multiple fics at once, or only work on one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    Like a surgeon, or more aptly like Frankenstein, I'm attempting to salvage lots of very old things while avoiding the trap of getting mired in lost causes. At the same time I'm dreaming of what I could be doing if I wasn't in Sunk Costs Hell.

Queen of Love and Beauty GhostDIGIT's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    The usual. Dunno if I should start working on multiple fics at once, or only work on one.
    I think it'd be easier to just work on one at a time.
    Spoiler:
    The Best Thing BlackBlade's Ever Said.
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

Dullahan's Writing Genius
    I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

Blog Entries
    Writing the third chapter of You Are My King, and trying to come up with a way to write the next one for Hero Fall that won't have it come out as total crap (Medea deserves better).
    Last edited by Historia; January 26th, 2016 at 07:06 PM.

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    I wrote a Dagashi Kashi starter.

Now I'm writing an update for Zeroth Grader Disease and Hisui.
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes

Blog Entries
    a questions for fic writing thread?

...ok, ill throw one in. Beyond going on hiatus (because who go on hiatus are the worst people) how do people respond to a sudden curtailing of time and trying to get the right energy and frame of mind to write in between other stuff.

like, my situation is that starting two weeks ago, my new term started. it includes a 40 hour a week internship, a full class load (in class) as well as the related homework, im also selling my home this semester so doing the usual stuff related to miscellaneous repairs and dealing with realtor's red tape.

apparantly I just had to damn much free time.

anyway, I still slotted myself a period on tuesdays roughly 1-4 PM where I can do a bit of writing for fight/knight. I had hoped what would happen is I would put my thoughts together while working through the week and then for those 3 hours I would really be able to just light on fire and type straight for that time and complete a few thousand words each time.

However I had neglected to account for how hard it is to budget getting up all the writing energy needed to really get in the zone. Actually, more then anything, I find I have blanked out and cant remember what my plans were. As a result im lucky to get 700-800 words a week.

anyway, long story slightly less long, how do you handle it if you dont have a lot of time but still want to get in the zone more or less "on command"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I just keep a tab with the google doc open, and write whenever I feel like it. Hence my pace, ohyuu
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    I'm a weirdo, so I just do it. I can will myself to write on command without any special conditions needing to be filled out.
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post

anyway, long story slightly less long, how do you handle it if you dont have a lot of time but still want to get in the zone more or less "on command"
    My suggestion is to jot down any ideas or scenes that come to mind. You can do this on paper, on a phone note, etc, just anything to preserve the idea. It takes very little time in the moment, but it helps preserve what you're working on and reviewing them can help get you going on the "real stuff" when you have the time. Even if it's just a dialogue snippet that takes two minutes to get on paper with no other context, it can help jump start you later.

マリーの味方
    I feel like you just need to do it. The worst part is getting over the initial hump, but once you open the page and start writing down words it becomes easier to continue

Now getting over the initial hump is obviously difficult and I can't provide help there as I rarely write when I want to too, but I find that the rare times I do it sometimes becomes fun

then there's the times where I spend an hour on a paragraph but let's ignore that

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    I don't think there's ever been a paragraph I haven't spent an hour on. Generally I correlate productivity with a sore back and dehydration because things take quite a while to put together just so.

- - - Updated - - -

I admit that this might be akin to a certain jiheishou we're fond of mentioning.

マリーの味方
    well for me it's like I spend an hour on the same paragraph for multiple nights until i decide to rewrite a paragraph I wrote ealier, which also takes multiple nights. rinse and repeat

then I eventually get frustrated at my lack of progress and get anxiety about writing which is why it takes me so long to get over that initial hump of just sitting down and writing

Blog Entries
    Okay, this might come across as odd, but I am honestly worried about this. See, I've been a Nasuverse fan for a long while, but I don't know how to best get back into the rhythm of writing Nasu-related works. I want to make sure I can get my butt back into gear with this... any ideas out there on how to get back to work on Nasu-related stuff?
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries
    maybe you should just do it jesus fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Not helping, Leo.
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries
    The help here is to answer the question of "how do I do Fate stuff": the aforementioned answer is "do Fate stuff." yw in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Is there any particular aspect you're struggling with or just generally speaking?

Blog Entries
    @keo, you are being antagonistic, and you are not helping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.