Thread: Fate/Stay Night : Past and Future Kings

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar

Post Fate/Stay Night : Past and Future Kings

The King bears witness to the shadow she has left, and moulds anew the exuvia which stands in her stead.

Table of Contents:

Prologue - Part 1 to 3 (Further below)

Chapter 1 - Shadow of Camelot
    Chapter 2 - Lady Arturia
    Chapter ...

Chapter ??? - Singularity_Cause and Effect

Chapter ??? - Uto/Dys-topia

Prologue - Part 1

Rhongomyniad, The Spear that Shines to the Ends of the Earth. A rather grandiose, perhaps even pretentious title, but this Lance surely is the one weapon that rightfully deserves it, that majesty is its alone to bear.

To see such an important artifact: the anchor of the World, wielded so naturally by a little girl that hasn't even grown past eighteen years of age...

Magnificent.”

He can only let out one word alongside a mirthful smile. To watch her fight and overcome odds that should be insurmountable as if they were nothing, his sentiments about all of this spectacle are rounded up better by no other word.

The regular human eye would never have understood what had just occurred; it would've all been mere blurs and explosions that made no sense physically or logically, but luckily, the Magus of Flowers, Merlin, is quite a lot more than your average human.

The rock monster raises its fist, ready to deliver a punch that would crush an adult bull to mush, its velocity so fast that as it is launched, the barrier of sound is broken -- yet the petite frame of the girl leaps with ease to the side, out of harm's way, reacting at the very moment the attack is executed.

One would think that she doesn't even need to see it coming.

The roles of attacker and defender are immediately reversed as the girl now goes on the offensive. Watching her close in on her prey is like witnessing a dragon brimming with unbridled fury. Bathed in prana, she moves and strikes with strength and speed no person of her physique, or simply, no human being should be able to output.

The girl needs only one thrust to pierce through the golem's thick, craggy exterior as if it was paper, goring it through both arms and its chest; a testimony not only of Rhongomyniad’s strength, but of the immense force the girl can manifest. Yet force is not the only feat that she proves here – there is no excess in the execution, meaning that the very moment she is done piercing, the girl can slip her weapon out of the monster's body as if it wasn't there in the first place. With inhuman technique and reflexes, she pulls Rhongomyniad as fast as she plunges it into the magical automaton. The process repeats over and over again, creating an endless barrage of thrusts that pulverizes the golem within an instant.

The golem falls to the ground, dissolving in a heap of dust like its two other brethren that had been defeated just seconds before.

The girl breathes and exhales deeply as she slowly shifts from her battle stance into a non-combative one, bringing the lance to rest by standing it perpendicular to the ground. After having witnessed her effortless and deft handling of that massive weapon, originally held by the mighty Uther Pendragon, the sight of her own weapon dwarfing her is all the more absurd.

Merlin claps his hands like a giddy child. “Very good, little Arturia!” he exclaims with excitement as he approaches the blonde-haired girl. She turns her head to look at him, and even though she has the appearance of a little girl, Merlin is well aware that her verdant-blue eyes hold the gaze of something much more mature and... grandiose; it is the same glow as the one in Uther's chosen son.

Merlin can easily tell that like the latter too, she has this consistent glimmer of doubt at the corner of her eye whenever she faces him. Here however, Arturia appears more amused than anything else.

It would appear that you have underestimated my growth, Merlin.”

She isn't boasting. Any other person would have said these words and naturally exuberated arrogance and pride, but Arturia is different. No matter the way she says it, this sounds more like a complaint than anything else, as if Merlin is being reprimanded for not having gauged her growth properly.

She has always been above the idea of petty vanity
    since the age of five, and that character of hers has fascinated him most ever since.

Indeed, you exceed all of my expectations. But then, we are both aware that your case is a little bit like cheating, isn't it?”

He raises a point that makes her uncomfortable, but seeing that unsure visage of hers it something that he loves most, he always has loved. As her little mouth curves alongside her contracted cheeks, and her eyebrows move synchronously with her eyes to draw a light frown... he can do nothing but love her even more.

Love is, after all, everything he stands for, and everything is truly what he loves.

Do elaborate?” she asks, adjusting the ribbon that held up her regally made hair, holding it in a bun.

Your soul does not belong here. It is a providence of Fate, a miracle of the Third. You see the days of another life, a similar yet different time. You are of this world, and still, you are the most alien to it.”

He flashes her a knowing smile. In the end, even if she knows more than he does because of her peculiar condition, one can only be played by the Magus of Flowers, the opposite is, and will always remain impossible.

... so you've noticed?”

He does not answer her. All he has to give a response is a widened grin, for she will naturally understand. If she really is what he thinks her to be, there is no other outcome other than her comprehension, for she knows both what he has done and what he will eventually do.

Merlin was expecting her to show at least some form of subdued dissatisfaction, but her response is something he finds most unprecedented, yet lovely to the core: a returned knowing smile, the very same thing he gave her.

Then I trust that there isn't much I can do but keep an eye on you,” she says with an air that he could tell from a mile away feigns innocence. Wherever she is laughing at herself or at him, he cannot really tell.

But it is irrelevant. He too laughs, filled with joy at her jest.

“Unfortunately for you, that is all you can do for this romantic here.”

Punctuating his speech with a playful child's wink, Merlin suddenly wraps his cape around Arturia, chanting a couple of words which escape the boundaries of humanity’s grasp on language.

She does not react to this abrupt move, instead taking it in stride. That is because she is already accustomed to such antics, having already experienced his characteristic mischievous personality in previous meetings.

Vast magical energies surround them, warping the space around. Dancing and flowing like water, prana ripples across the fabric of reality, till all that they can see is nothing more than rainbow-colored lights expanding to the very limits of the horizon and heaven.

“So where are we going this time? I assume that you haven’t summoned me to this castle in the middle of nowhere for nothing.”

“To visit a certain Sir Kay and his squire. Good friends, you three will make good friends. Loving friends!”

Prologue - Part 2

Watching her sleep against a tree has a charm of its own. It reminds the young man that whatever he was told to think of her, reality remains unchangeable no matter what humans will -- Arturia is in the end nothing more than a girl.

And quite the beautiful one, that daughter of a villager is. If at this young age she is already such a looker, what she would transform into as time matures her into an adult… he can only realize that it would be something most frightening, due to its implications.

Gender and beauty can be concealed and denied only for so long.

Arthur?” she calls out to him dreamily.

Her eyes do not open, but her mouth moves to carry her voice. She does not need to see him to know that he is here, kneeling by her side. It is most natural, for they can reciprocally identify each other without even having to rely on human senses. Their bond is one that surpasses the limits of the natural, it is something beyond the understanding of the average man.

My Lady, sleeping alone in such a place is dangerous. Who knows what vile plan ruffians might enact to snatch you away.”

She chuckles at his preposterous claim. Generally he would receive a frown and some sort of reprimand for addressing her as a girl, but perhaps that in the case here, the good sleep had provided Arturia with a lighter mood.

Indeed, it would be dangerous, for these ruffians; like this one here in front of me.”

Lifting her hand, she gives a light push on Arthur's forehead, as to create some more space between them, knowing that his visage was rather close to her own.

Oh my, since when did you grow a sense of humor?” he jests.

Arturia's answer is to open her eyes, the very same eyes that had captivated Arthur ever since he first gazed into them. Looking upon the verdant-blue irises, he can only feel like he is observing a smooth reflection of what he yearns for. What it is exactly that they reflect, Arthur could never tell, but he knows that far more than just his literal image is contained in these jewel-like orbs.

I would like to think that I've always had one,” she replies dryly.

Arturia dusts off the dead leaves and grass that had latched onto her clothes. As she stands up, the watching Arthur spares no time in picking up Rhongomyniad, stealing it right under her fingers as Arturia reaches out for her weapon.

He smiles smugly at his accomplishment.

Then allow me to indulge in it a little longer. Having you be something different than my faithful squire day and night would prove most delightful.”

He presents to Arturia her spear like a squire would to their knight. A reversal of their true, actual roles, something that Arthur enjoys doing most. Part of his love to tease her so much is because of his natural affinity towards japing others, but the other, more important portion of his purpose, is that he always is curious to see if he can embarrass such a wonderful fair maiden, something that he feels he has yet to achieve. In fact, as far as he’s aware, no one has yet managed accomplish such a wonder. That girl is like a flower that cannot be blemished; in her total disregard of her gender she appears more precious, more special than any other woman Arthur has ever met… eventually reaching a certain point where every time she does her utmost to be boyish or ignore what she truly is, he feels this odd irritation tugging away at his heart.

But no matter what he feels, that is all her choice. It isn't imposed on her by others, she herself seeks to mask away the truth and bear the consequences of such an act. Everytime she looks at him, he is reminded of her free choice.

That is why all he can do is respect her.

Truly, at his very core, he is a gentleman to the end.

She sighs and accepts her weapon, taking it from his hands, not uttering a word. Her eyes lock onto his momentarily, and he recognizes a glimmer of strange gratitude mixed with sorrow. She does not dwell long though, and before he can read more into her, Arturia turns around and walks away towards Sir Ector's castle.

Let us go meet up with Sir Kay,” she urges him, walking away with her back turned. Her voice does not suggest that the matter is pressing, but her gait does not have any trace of sloth or unhurried nature.

No-nonsense, straight to the point, and always being the most efficient, the trinity of her personality is at times so blunt that one might feel offended and looked down upon if they misunderstand her character.

The sight of her walking off, with the clanging of her armor being like the toll of church bells in the distance… as he is privy to such an exquisite portrait, bathed by Brittain’s setting sun and beautified by the British hills, forests and fields, Arthur can only whisper his complaint to the wind before following her footsteps, like he has always been doing from the very moment they first met:

What a cruel woman.”

Prologue - Part 3

‘Whoso pulleth out this sword of this stone is rightwise King of England.’

I did not need to read the inscription to know what was written on this sword.

Long before we approached it, long before Merlin appeared to Arthur to warn him of the consequences of the act he was about to undertake... I had already figured out what would happen on this day, because in another time, on this very same day, I should be the one fulfilling the prophecy engraved on the ‘Sword of Assured Victory’.

The tale of the King of Knights is, or to be closer to this world’s version of the truth, was my very own life.

Raised by a loving villager instead of Sir Ector, farming through my early childhood instead of being trained and guided as a squire by Sir Kay, and taken away by Merlin to receive Rhongomyniad, finally meeting young Arthur not too long afterwards… what else did I need to comprehend the ridiculous joke the Grail had played on me?

That was, if having the conscience of an adult already at the age of five was not enough of a hint.

As I ponder all of this this while watching this young man step up to the stone with such righteous, chivalric stride -- I can only see it as a recollection of the past, only with different actors playing the scene.

Even if I have overcome the remorse, I cannot forget about what I first did as a King; the suffering I put my dearest subjects and people through as they endured my folly, my foolish choice to rule all alone at the top.

Once I had a conviction for that sin, but when it comes to the present...

...the answer that I have to its true nature, is something that I am most uncertain of now.

Still what I am certain of, is that I can trust Arthur to fare much better in these matters than I ever did. His mind is clearer, his purpose, shaped and moulded with far more detail than what guided Arturia, than what guided me -- the ideals of a little, naive and idealistic girl. Even if he isn’t as disciplined as I am at times, I do not doubt his courage, his discernment and his ability with the sword. He is my equal in all these fields, perhaps even better in certain particular cases. He will at the very least, be able to achieve a rule very similar to mine.

The key difference between him and me, however, is that he is a man of the world, one that can relate and talk to others and make them hear what they want.

While honest, he is not the fool that I once was, perhaps, the fool that I am still.

But if I believe all of this… why am I standing here shadowing him then?

That too I do not truly understand, but perhaps that the answer can simply be found in my character: even if I am not King anymore, I cannot escape the duties of Knighthood.

Like how Arthur now cannot escape from the destiny of becoming King.

He steps forwards and does not look at anything else but the sword. He is determined, just as I was. He is ready, just as I was. Without hesitation, he removes it in one smooth go, freeing Caliburn from its stone prison.

In one motion, he proves that he is worthy King of Britain.

All around, the crowd can only watch in shock, or grimace in frustration and jealousy. While a little commotion can be heard here and there, the entire atmosphere can be summed up to being a sea of murmuring silence, the kind which spreads gossip like a disease.

That will not stand. I shall not let such a glorious moment be tarnished.

I clap my hands and smile the warmest smile I could ever smile. Something takes hold of me, perhaps joy, perhaps zeal and fervor, perhaps utter pure relief... or perhaps just all of it.

I shout with abandon, raising my lance to the sky:

“All hail King Arthur!”

And the crowd rallies behind, the chants begin, like a line of dominoes toppling full circle before standing up again and repeating; like a storm raging on, till that one sentence of praise and admiration is all that can be heard, sung endlessly by the all the true Britons standing around Arthur, the Future King.

“All hail King Arthur!”

He looks around him as all shout out his name and his new title in utmost reverence. He smiles, he smiles like a king. There is no uncertainty, no hesitation. Pride does not pour out from him like an arrogant man’s torrent, it comes at just the right dose, tempered with humility: neither underwhelming nor disgustingly overwhelming.

It is a king’s smile, a majestic smile that conveys gratitude, thanks and blessings to those that have acknowledged the worthy ruler.

It only spurs the crowd to chant on, one last time, with more conviction than ever:

“All hail King Arthur!”

I never knew how happy I would be to hear that phrase uttered by the people.

I never imagined that the feeling that’d well up in my chest at hearing these praises, would be relief.

Yes, I never… knew that… the weight of it all, gone, would free me so much.

Never… even… why are my eyes...

Ahh. That is so unknightly of me...

---

“I shall devote my soul
    As a steadfast pillar
    Holding your Kingdom whole
    Defending it with fervour.

I shall be your shadow
    Hidden in their plain sight
    No matter where you go
    Ever ready to fight.”

| Chapter 1 >>>
    Last edited by Ayakashi; February 18th, 2016 at 10:05 PM.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    An interesting start! I'm curious how things will change for Arthur now that Saber's around.

I'll be reading this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Queen of Love and Beauty GhostDIGIT's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Arturia as one of Arthur's knights, huh. Pretty good so far.
    Spoiler:
    The Best Thing BlackBlade's Ever Said.
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

Dullahan's Writing Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Historical fiction in the every-pervasive setting of Nasu-Camelot with Arthur and Arturia playing foils off of each other? I could see myself following this, doubly so if it's done by Ayakishi.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I HEARD HISTORICAL FICTION AND BOTH ARTHURS.

I AM HERE TO STAY

Year 1

Salt Corner

Quote Originally Posted by hayate View Post
    He's the exception. We see him swimming in with the
    gold
    good
    waifus.

He got his share of woes as with other players, but it has been overwhelmed by the sheer amount of different SSRs, both as F2P and P2P.

I don't even wish to stand beside him as I got 2 consecutive IRs at my work the very same month after I got Jeanne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriulio View Post
    Okay:

First of all, a big FUCK YOU to everyone who got Holmes
    Second of all, a DOUBLE FUCK YOU at Laith because asahkwbebnfj,hhfshfls;
    Third of all, a TRIPLE FUCK YOU to people who quote Laith's gacha posts. THE WHOLE POINT OF HAVING HIM IN MY IGNORE LIST IS TO PREVENT THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by Aozaki-desu View Post
    fuck laith btw

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    Good. Desire more. Merlin is nice. Arthur is nice. Arturia is cute. It is fun to read.

Really though it looks to be an interesting setting. With the information from Garden of Avalon at your fingertips, I'm sure you'll handle this look at a win-scenario for Arturia well.

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    Dialogue was snappy and to the point. Narration wasn't bogged down in itself, gave us enough detail to get us from scene to scene. It flowed pretty well, I liked it. The concept is good too.

Hope you keep it up.
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    I like the premise so far. It will be nice to watch Arturia grow and maybe interact more with her fellow knights. Seeing Arthur's reign will also be interesting as Arturia noted that he already approaches things differently than she did. Although it is fate that Arthur dies by Mordred's hand, so it will be interesting if this fate can be averted now or if history will take it's course.

Also hard to tell if she met Shirou yet, currently thinking they didn't but time will tell. I'd like to think Merlin is in the know as that would explain why he sought Arturia out.

Chapter 1 - Shadow of Camelot

Part 1 – Lady Errant

Walls that stand strong like mountains. Spires of cathedrals and towers that reach like an ode to the heavens. A city that brims with the humming of its happy inhabitants, the laugh of its precious children, the roar of its booming activity -- the very evidence to Camelot’s wonderful flourishing life.

When I was King, I could only see my city as a King, from the top of the castle, from the top of my throne: I could only see its majesty as an undetailed whole; what I saw and thought of from above, was all I had to be content with.

Now that I can walk amidst Camelot’s citizens, now that I can see it as a an equal to these men and women, working in their respective craft for the kingdom’s prosperity… it makes me realize, how I never truly perceived what Camelot was.

That must be how small details take precedence over the big picture, as you come up close and admire every single piece of a painting, trying to decipher all the effort that has been poured in to make it all come to life.

But this realization has dawned on me quite a few times already, in fact, it jumps on me at every opportunity it has, whenever I take a step into this glorious utopian city. A reminder that even in the bleak reality of the world, there is always a place for dream and ideals.

‘Certainly following that logic, then he…’

‘He’. That boy whose naive but endearing smile I could not forget; whose ridiculous and illogical beliefs had wormed their way into my head as admirable.

Ultimately, I cannot forget him.

Yet he is not here, and I have no time to get sentimental. My memory of him, for now, stands irrelevant to what must be done.

I brush aside that silhouette of his, standing on a lonely hill. He himself would do the same in his own tribulation, I --

“Owie!”

“...?”

Helping me snap out of my pensive state, something, or rather, someone bumps into me as I come around one of these inconveniently tight and abrupt corners. It is a little girl holding a wooden doll, who after having fallen flat on her rear, is now looking up at me with pitiful, teary eyes: the kind that makes anyone falter in guilt at being the cause of such tragedy.

“I-I’m sorry miss! I didn’t see where I was going...” she whimpers helplessly.

Did she get hurt? I lean down to have a look at her knee which she’s holding on to painfully. There is no trace of blood or wide open wound; it appears that the ‘gravity’ of the situation here is, thankfully, limited to a little bruise.

“P-please don’t hurt me… I’m very, very very sorry miss! I swear I won’t do it again!”

Terrified. Why is she so afraid of me? Have I always been that scary? This hood I’m wearing does make me appear particularly inconspicuous, the kind of people that children hate the most. After all, being pure and simple, they are those most affected by first impressions, by the presentation more than the content. Someone that they can’t read, someone unknown, incomprehensible, is likely to strike fear in their spirit harder than anything else.

There isn’t any unwanted onlooker here, so I suppose that I can afford to take this shadowing hood off.

“Be at ease. I am in no way angry or anything.”

I give her a smile to comfort her, and alongside removing my obscuring hood to make her feel more at ease, it all seems to work. She is not looking at me like I am a villainous lady of sorts that’s going to hit her or rob her of her toy.

“R-really? You're not going to do anything to me?”

“Why would I lie to such a precious and innocent child like you? Here, this might sting a bit, but bear with it.”

Attempting to reassure her, I reach for the satchel hanging by my waist and take out a small container of herbal medicine. I never imagined I’d be using such a trivial concoction, especially seeing Merlin’s wording when he gave it to me but…

‘Use it to treat light inconvenient bruises. A beautiful woman like you cannot let scars ruin her lovely body!’ was what he chirped.

… right, better not think about that moment too much. Of course, I am a woman as well as being a knight. Keeping my appearance most prim and proper is a matter of etiquette; but to prioritize womanly details before knightly ones… that is a luxury I have no time for, let alone have any of the required will to bother entertaining. That would be an affront to my principles.

Enough doubts at any rate.

“...ouch...”

The little girl barely complains as I apply the medicine to the bruise. The coagulated blood that had swollen up inside quickly disappears, and by three or so seconds, the wound might as well not have been there. Her knee is clean, immaculate, white as snow.

She gawks at her injury, amazed at the effectiveness of the treatment.

“Wow, thanks a lot misses. You’re so kind, and so pretty! I want to be like you when I grow up!” she exclaims, jumping up and down.

Children. Always so innocent, always so bright.

Speaking of brightness in the literal sense though... while Camelot is generally safe, the dark alleyways of this impoverished portion of the city are very likely to host vagabonds and scum, those seeking refuge from the 'justice' of other lands. While Camelot controls what comes in and out scrupulously, there is no way to telling when a man or woman's heart might change – wherever it be for the better, or the worst. What might happen if this little one stumbles on a particularly amoral or desperate individual... I would rather not think of it.

Prevention has always been better than treatment.

Which then leaves the question: why haven't her parents instructed her on not wandering in here? Could it be that she simply got lost? Her clothes are particularly well-made and typical of Camelot's middle-class citizens, so it'd be very unlikely that she lives around here.

I continue giving her a light smile, speaking as gently as I can to not startle her:

“You should get going though, this isn’t a place for young girls like you. Do you know your way out?”

To my question, she tilts her head quizzically.

“Oh, yes I do? I just came here looking for Amy...”

Bringing her doll close to her heart and holding it like how a mother holds their child, it is clear that this little one here is quite attached to her doll – a little bit too wooden and rigid for me to appreciate perhaps, but the dress worn over the doll's frame has doubtlessly been woven and crafted with care. The attention and care put into this handiwork can be felt by just having a glimpse at the final product.

“Well, I'm happy that you found her. Now, hurry up. Do you need me to accompany you?”

“Oh, I'll be fine. Thanks a lot though miss! For healing my hurt knee, and for being so kind to me. Thank you so much!”

And before I can say anything else, she vanishes behind the very same corner I came from, beaming widely.

With her gone, the man observing us from the shadows steps out of his hiding place. He is of an average build, neither tall nor short. Everything about him in fact, is rather average; there is nothing that makes his physique nor persona stand out in any particular way. Perhaps that such normality is something special in itself, however. With his short, blonde hair and typical caucasian complexion, one could switch the armor he’s wearing for a peasant’s clothes and he’d fit right into the role.

When I was king, that normality brought a fresh air of relief to all the more ‘unique’ individuals that surrounded me.

“Greetings, Sir Kay.”

“Deftly handled, my most kind damsel. Perhaps a little bit too well handled for someone like you,” he comments with his trademark sarcastic grin.

He lifts his hand before the conversation can continue, signalling me that there is no need to bow or further casual discussion. Rather unusual of him, since usually when we meet, Sir Kay will typically begin our exchanges with idle-talk and engage in sarcastic jest about the latest happenings.

“Let us not spend time on ceremony, Arturia. A matter most pressing awaits.”

Part 2 – The Black Knight

A soldier ideally does not ask questions, they only do as they are told. If they are to die protecting someone, or something, then so be it. Exemplary and chivalrous, warriors coming from Camelot are widely renowned for their noble modus operandi: from the Knights of the Round to the very basic footman – any mission assigned to them, they would carry, abiding by the chivalric code, even at the cost of their own lives.

That is the reason why these men have not fled in the face of such a mighty foe. 'It' barges through the castle's gates, leaving a trail of dead bodies in its wake as it closes in, slaying any guard foolish enough to stand in its way. Their lives are reaped like mere wheat and barley from a farmer's field. This is not a battle, this is a harvest: this is manslaughter.

The entire settlement is set ablaze, how or why no one really knows, but what was a peaceful haven moments ago is now a living re-creation of hell, screams of agony and suffering included as haunting background noise.

In the face of such outrageous horror, these men of Camelot cannot stand to remain motionless and not act, such desecration of peace and life cannot be left unchecked, unchallenged.

With righteous fury, they draw their weapons.

“Your misdeeds end on this day, Black Knight!”

The knight of Camelot and his fellow soldiers charge at the foe. They fear not the 'thing' whose dark armor is drenched in blood, they do not hesitate even at the sight of its steed clad like a demon, its neighing reverberating like a hellspawn's roar.

They throw themselves to battle.

But all that they do is for naught.

In truth, these men, while trained and courageous, have not been given any gift which would allow them to stand as equals with this foe in black. Harsh reality dictates that rather, they are mere ants trying to threaten a giant: their spears and swords, even if swung by arms that have killed and defeated other enemies before, are useless against an adversary of the Black Knight's magnitude.

From atop its mount, barely moving an inch, the Black Knight parries every single blow, and anything that strays into the mount is deflected off the horse's armor like a leaf blown in the wind. As their coordinated attack is brushed aside within a flash, it is then that they understand that between them and this Black Knight, stands a chasm of power wider than the gap between heaven and hell.

The Black Knight's horse raises its hoof, and without any tell, pulverizes one of the five warriors’ skulls, smashing steel, skull and brain matter alike. Charging forwards, it tramples another one of the soldiers, crushing the man's ribcage and lungs, letting him drown in his own blood as he succumbs to internal hemorrhage.

And it is not over yet: as it is carried forwards, the Black Knight swings its left-handed sword and, drawing a half-moon, slices off the heads of two more soldiers. The blade cuts through their necks like a knife through butter; armor, chainmail, it is all irrelevant.

“You monster...!!”

The lone knight of Camelot is now the last man standing, but to feel fear or back down would be an affront to his men, to his way of life – to Camelot itself.

Perhaps that the Black Knight knows that, and that is why a swift death is delivered. The man barely has the time to finish his sentence when the Black Knight gores him through the heart with its right-handed spear.

“My King... I'm...”

Robbed of his words before he can complete his sentence, the knight falls, a lifeless body. The trauma of the spear-strike as well as the suddenness and brevity of it all contributed to a quick, 'noble' death.

Now, the Black Knight is all that's left standing, those that were not standing from the beginning are all that is left to be dealt with. There is another living person here... but they've been cowering in fear all this time, to the point that one might think them as dead in spirit already.

“Lord Edgar of Watersmouth.”

The monster in black finally speaks, calling the coward's name out. The voice is distorted, guttural, befitting of a demon.

“D-don't come near me you fiend! King Arthur will make you pay if you dare lay a finger on me! I am his ally... if... if you do this... t-the Knights of the Round will hunt you down and burn you at the stake for your crime!”

The man finds no strength in his legs. Paralyzed by fear, all he can do is miserably try crawl away, clawing at the grass and earth as he cries for his dear life. His threats, while articulated, bear no authority behind them. His high-pitched, strident voice only adds the inconvenience of making whatever coming out of his mouth most grating to the ears.

The Black Knight's steed slowly trots after the fleeing Edgar, if such a miserable way of trying to get away can even be called fleeing.

“Your King himself sends his regards.”

The lance is raised...

“W-wait!! W-what--”

“Guilty as charged.”

… and judgment falls.

------

The news travelled to Camelot rather fast. After all, the smoke and red glow of the fires painting the tragedy of Watersmouth could be seen from Arthur's very own castle, so it was no real surprise. Standing on an overlooking hilltop to the ravaged town, Arthur solemnly observes the fate of this ally of Camelot. Accompanying him is Sir Gawain, one of his most trusted Knights of the Round Table.

“So Lord Edgar is dead?” he inquires while looking on at the town.

Gawain steps forward and kneels, answering:

“Yes. We've recovered his body from his Castle. A group of Camelot soldiers led by a knight of ours named Edwach appear to have perished as well while trying to protect the Lord.”

Arthur sighs, closing his eyes.

“... tragic news.”

“Unfortunately, my King. I've made sure that their bodies and mementos be sent back to their families. We shall hold a public cremation back in Camelot for their valiant service.”

“I shall grace that funeral with my presence.”

“Most generous of you, my King. I am certain that their families will find comfort in knowing that the King shares their sorrow.”

“Not only do I share their sorrow, but I share their rage, Gawain. This Black Knight has to be stopped at all costs.”

Gawain's gaze narrows as he sees both an opportunity to prove his worth, and an occasion to dispense justice: not only in the name of his King and chivalry, but in the name of righteousness -- of Justice.

Arthur knows all too well how one of his closest knights thinks. For what is a King if he does not know the heart of his subjects?

It could be said that by speaking the words he did, Arthur had already shaped Gawain’s answer.

“Truer words have never been said my King. I, White Knight of the Round Table, shall pursue him to the ends of the earth, till he falls by this blade of mine!”

The King turns around, a thankful smile on his lips.

“I am truly grateful to have such a reliable, capable knight and nephew...”

“My King. You honor me with your words. I shall make haste to prepare for my mission.”

“Go forth with my blessings.”

With a clear mind and eyes shining with blazing determination, Gawain stands up, giving one last bow of deep respect to his King before making his way to his horse, and eventually, galloping off into the night. His zeal and conviction are so strong that watching the White Knight ride off in the distance is no different from witnessing the bright sun set in the distant horizon.

Feeling his eyes burning, Arthur’s thankfulness turns into a momentary, bitter grimace, before vanishing as he hears footsteps and faces the person to whom they belong to: the other knight that was waiting for Gawain to leave.

“... sometimes I'm amazed how you keep this comedy up without showing the smallest of cracks in that mask of yours, Arthur.”

“That comes with being King, my dear Kay.”

His other most trusted knight alongside Gawain, the ‘brother’ with whom he grew up, Sir Kay is an entirely different beast from Gawain -- their views on chivalry, their principles, and even their ability in battle are as stark as night and day... but it is for that every reason that he stands next to the king. A court should be as diverse and varied as possible, for in all kinds of men, a different kind of wisdom rests.

“Now, now... would you stop rubbing that Kingly status of yours in my face?“

“My, I tend to forget that we are brothers, both in life and in crime. This is not the time for banter, however – how much was permanently lost in there?”

“Most of the damage to the village can be repaired quickly within weeks by using wood from the neighbouring forests. The Black Knight forced most of the manpower to concentrate on shutting down the fires that 'he' had set all around Watersmouth's village, while the actual fighting was mostly limited to inside lord Edgar's castle. Civilian casualties are present, but minimal. It would appear that bandits profiting of the situation did more damage than the Black Knight 'himself'.”

“And...”

Arthur does not finish his sentence, because the answer is given by a peculiar, unique sound: the one of armor clanging and footsteps on the grass. Not any kind of armor clanging and footsteps either, but the kind that he was most familiar with, for they felt like bell churches tolling in the distance.

Kay wordlessly motions towards a large alder tree nearby. From behind it, the shape of a human-sized, upright dragon emerges against the star-lit sky. As the ‘dragon’ steps out of the shade of the leaves, the pale light shines onto it and reveals that such illusory outlines are the result of a knight’s armor and helmet shape.

A black knight’s.

Removing her helmet, she silently looks at Arthur. That piercing gaze of hers; these verdant-blue irises that fascinate him without end; he hasn’t seen them in a while, but they haven’t changed at all.

“It’s been a while, Arturia.”

“My King.”

Part 3 - Wetwork

This morning, in the secrecy of Camelot's impoverished district...

“A matter most pressing awaits. Lord Edgar, officially an ally of Camelot that supports King Arthur -- our history with him is quite the long one, dating back to before the ascension of Arthur as King of Britain. Edgar was originally a lukewarm ally of Uther, supplying his troops with food. He does the same to Arthur at the present, being one of our many sources of wheat and barley for our armies’ rations. On paper, there should be nothing wrong with him, but…”

Sir Kay paused, handing me a set of letters.

“… we happen to have over the years, found out that he engages and sponsors in rather ‘questionable’ activities. With Merlin’s help and prying for clues in homing pigeons’ letters and... other places, we’ve gotten quite a lot of evidence pointing at his involvement in the kidnapping of children of ages between five to eight. The purpose behind these kidnapping is to repurpose these children for… ‘comfort’ activities, if I’m to use euphemisms. Lord Edgar even runs an underground network that houses events and commerces where people can come enjoy that ‘comfort’ like how you would purchase an apple at the market. Disgusting really.”

He paused again, this time eyeing our surroundings to double-check that we were well alone.

“We could ideally just accuse that man and expose his deeds but… well, you know the drill.”

Yes, I knew it too well.

“Camelot is a land that promotes civility and mercy. As a result, we who profess to not impose ourselves or our laws on others. We do not go against our own principles so that we are not deemed hypocrites. Should we present evidence against him, all of this goes to naught, and that same evidence can be used against us by other lords to show that Camelot is paranoiac and all-controlling -- points that they can levy to stir unrest and possibly, a chain of revolts.”

Sir Kay looks at me momentarily with what I can only guess is surprise, before commenting in his typical sarcastic tone:

“I’m impressed. You’ve done your homework.”

I had done far more than my homework. Having been King, I had dealt with matters like this endless times. In fact, even here, even if I was but a knight and not a king... a lot of all this felt like deja vu after deja vu.

“At any rate, he has one of these ‘comfort’ dens here in Camelot. That one, I can take care of without much difficulty, but Arthur is not content with just cleansing Camelot of this man’s sickness. Knowing you, I’m certain that you feel the same.”

“You want me to eliminate Lord Edgar.”

“Correct. We indirectly signalled him that we were onto his dirty dealings a few times, and that there would be consequences if he didn't change his ways. He’s had his chances. Remember though, that we cannot risk a backlash. Try not to be too effective -- you are a savage warlord, not a hired hitman.”

…...

Arthur always gives me that same look, one which I fail to understand even now. It is an endless cycle that repeats whenever we meet -- our gazes lock, and as I search for a meaning inside these crystal-like eyes of his, all that I can find is a strange light that bears no sense to me. The brightness is like a fog which confuses further, serving only to guide us into a stare-off... an awkward lapse of time.

In the end, it is Arthur that breaks the silence first.

“Splendid work.”

“I only did what you asked of me. There is no special merit in merely following orders.”

“But there is regular merit then.”

A trait that he got from growing up alongside Kay, Arthur’s ability to get his way in whatever conversation he holds... it has always frightened me. As a King, I was never able to be so smooth in my conversations, instead relying on my authority and ‘righteousness’ as I stood at the top to brute-force my opinion or plans onto others.

Naturally, I have nothing to answer him with but my silence.

“...”

He is however not done yet, and continues speaking his mind while pacing around me.

“It is not like I am giving you thanks only for your last ‘work’. This is for all the other things you’ve done for me: Massacres, murders, pillaging, deception, you’ve done it all, your beautiful hands are soaked in blood, and all I can do for that sacrifice of yours is thank you, Arturia. Allow your King to put his conscience at ease at the very least. Do not allow unpaid gratitude to torment me.”

He is really a cheat when it comes to words and mannerisms. Not only does he talk smoothly, but his posture, his facial expression alongside that permanently gentle and respecting character that he shows… all while exuding a subtle but disturbing sense of authority… who can resist such eloquence, both verbal and physical?

“As… as you wish.”

What else can I say?

He beams with gratitude at my response.

“Then you shall accept this gift of mine : a time of repose for you. An invitation to my court. Do not be mistaken, it is not only for my sake -- but for yours as well.”

What does he mean? What use would I be to him in the court?

“An… invitation to the court? What do you mean Arthur? I am not really following you here...”

“You will become a Lady of Camelot. Gawain has set his eyes on slaying the Black Knight. As we speak, his is readying himself to embark on that very quest… and I am afraid that even someone of your caliber might not be able to escape the White Knight of Camelot forever.”

He extends his hand to me, just like in our days of training when he suggested that we go enjoy ourselves rather than spar and practice. Whenever he did that of course, I would always chide him, but as time passed, I found that telling him ‘no’ became harder. He always had his way with me sooner or later, till all I could do to keep him in line was to flat out agree to his offer on the condition that he beat me in a fight -- something that he could luckily, seldom achieve…

If only I could do the same here.

Besides, Gawain out of all the current Knights of the Round is after me. Laying low for some time would maybe do something about his concentration and let other priorities emerge to occupy him. The White Knight of Camelot… is someone I wish not clash blades with. It isn’t that I am unsure of my abilities, rather, it is a much, much more personal conflict. One that I can’t tell Arthur yet.

Depriving Arthur of one of the best knights he will ever find would be a terrible sin of mine too.

In the end, I can’t even vocally tell him yes. All that I can do is take his hand and nod.

Sigh, that smile of his… he’s such a cruel man.

<<< Prologue | Chapter 2 >>>
    Last edited by Ayakashi; February 18th, 2016 at 10:38 PM.

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    Was Prototype-Arthur like this too? Or are you basing him off of what Arturia would've wished to replace her?
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    That would be an affront to my principals.
    principles
    Accompanying him is Sir Gawain one of his most trusted Knights of the Round Table.
    Could use a comma after Gawain.

And that's the role that Saber is playing so far, huh? The black knight to the white knights of Camelot. As an aside, I couldn't help but be reminded of Rin lookin for Kotone by the little girl who bumps into Saber.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    Historical fiction in the every-pervasive setting of Nasu-Camelot with Arthur and Arturia playing foils off of each other? I could see myself following this, doubly so if it's done by Ayakishi.
    Please don't make me turn into a tomato. ( * p * )

Quote Originally Posted by Laith View Post
    I HEARD HISTORICAL FICTION AND BOTH ARTHURS.

I AM HERE TO STAY
    I've always found the historical fiction part weird. In my head, the story of King Arthur is a fairy-tale for kids, but that's prolly because all I have in my head when I initially think of Arthur is the disney animated movie "Sword in the Stone".

Quote Originally Posted by VelspertheCat View Post
    Was Prototype-Arthur like this too? Or are you basing him off of what Arturia would've wished to replace her?
    I don' think that one can truly ascertain "Prototype Arthur would do this 100%" because as a character, I'd like to think we've been given enough to imagine his full personality, but not enough to know everything about him ( especially his past ).
    He's typically thought of as far as I know to be 'an Arturia without her issues'. Essentially, the 'Proto-Arthur Recipe' is put Arturia's knightly and graceful demeanour, add in a lot more common sense / smooth-talking and then mix with someone who likes to tease and be a sarcastic a-hole at times ( a trait I think that EMIYA got from him later ).

Of course, this might just be me personally making Arthur similar to a certain kind of Otome Male interest, but then, wasn't F/SN going to be an otome game at the beginning? :P

Him constantly teasing Saber while appearing chivalrous and Charming is based of my mental image and the few footage we've seen of him interacting and cutely bullying Manaka.

I hope I'm making sense here. D:

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    And that's the role that Saber is playing so far, huh? The black knight to the white knights of Camelot. As an aside, I couldn't help but be reminded of Rin lookin for Kotone by the little girl who bumps into Saber.
    Refresh my memory, Konoe's Rin's friend in F/Z?

EDIT: Also, thanks everyone for the feedback! I'm kinda like really shy and don't like attention-whoring, but at the same time I like feedback ( especially the constructive, yummy kind! ), so I thought I'd begin being more talkative when I got both a Prologue and Chapter 1 done so that people can see what direction this fic is taking / get in touch with my non-native English writing.

Comments about flow, set up, pacing, anything really are welcome. Even lore, world-building questions... I'm open to everything!
    Last edited by Ayakashi; February 17th, 2016 at 08:58 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayakashi View Post
    Refresh my memory, Konoe's Rin's friend in F/Z?
    Yup
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    I really like the flow and redaction. Also the setup. It is a little vague about Arturia's situation but it seems that she already knows Shirou. Also the interactions between Arturia, Kay and Merlin were really good. Also, I'm assuming that the herbal medice that Merlin gave her was a reference to his Clarivoyance. Also for a matter of contextualization, are you taking Lancer Alter boby design to this Arturia? I'm guessing because using Ron but she was described at one moment as petite, Tho it seems that we are playing with time a little bit so I'm not really sure.

Finally, while the actions and methods taken made sense, there wasn't much reaction from them to the brutally described massacre. If it was intended like that dont mind me. Also, I hope is that the relation between the two Arthurs doesnt develop into some weird romantic stuff, it seems unlikely so maybe I'm just worrying for nothing. Other than that, really good set up and redaction, it feels incredibly natural.
    Last edited by Owlz; February 17th, 2016 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlz View Post
    Also for a matter of contextualization, are you taking Lancer Alter boby design to this Arturia? I'm guessing because using Ron but she was described at one moment as petite, Tho it seems that we are playing with time a little bit so I'm not really sure.
    The moment when she's described as petite is in the prologue - Arturia is still very young in her first scene with Merlin. I do guess that there was little indication as to how much time had passed between the end of the Prologue and Chapter 1, but it's supposed to be implied slightly, while Chapter 2 confirms the time lapsed further.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlz View Post
    Finally, while the actions and methods taken made sense, there wasn't much reaction from them to the brutally described massacre. If it was intended like that dont mind me. Also, I hope is that the relation between the two Arthurs doesnt develop into some weird romantic stuff, it seems unlikely so maybe I'm just worrying for nothing. Other than that, really good set up and redaction, it feels incredibly natural.
    The sudden change of mood and brutality are supposed to give an effect of shock and leave people wondering why Arthur and Arturia are discussing what happened in an acknowledging but rather 'this happens'-kind of way. Chapter 2 is mostly people talking and interacting while shedding some light on that matter. I guess this is what you get when you try to build hooks and a reason for readers to want to go on.

As for the relationship between Arthur and Arturia... well you'll see. No fun spoiling future events now, is there?

P.S: Arturia has Rhon and not Excalibur / Avalon / Caliburn, so her frozen aging process never occurred. Her 'Black Knight' persona and outfit are Lancer Alter, but I found the ovefsized chest to be more ridiculous fanservice and excessively silly, so I uh, even ignored the stupid design of hers on the cover image by placing text and shadows over there. > .>
    TL;DR: This is Alter Lancer but without the ridiculously large gag boobs and retarded outfit when the armor comes off.

Queen of Love and Beauty GhostDIGIT's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayakashi View Post
    TL;DR: This is Alter Lancer but without the ridiculously large gag boobs and retarded outfit when the armor comes off.
    Thank you very much.
    Spoiler:
    The Best Thing BlackBlade's Ever Said.
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

Dullahan's Writing Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    The deceptive machinations of Arthur's court are a lot more effective at maintaining political stability than Arturia's old ways, I bet. That's the contrast, and yet it seems that her contribution is wholesale slaughter, just as before.

She's very well suited to play the villain.