Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for a new laptop

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    True. But still, it's much better than it sounds. Also, isn't the Core limit 4 GHz?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, there's no defined absolute limit, but it's becoming harder and harder to increase CPU speeds further, hence parallelisation.

Of course you can do what this one guy did and get a shitty pentium 2 and a vat of liquid nitrogen and then overclock it all the way up to 8 ghz

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You have to get pretty lucky for that to work, though.

Blog Entries
    K, I WAS going to buy a battalion (ibuypower) but I talked to my brother who also had a desktop from them. He had a horrible experience with them and their tech support, and his motherboard died in just over a year. I'm strongly considering an Asus, but I'd like to be able to customize.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    I'm going through pretty much the same problem as you and DEAR GOD HOW COULD YOU STAND THE DELL?! I've had my Dell for less than two years and I hated it from the moment I got it. Dell is disgusting. Good prices, but that's all. Customer service is terrible, they don't work with anything other than exclusively Dell, and just general haaaaaate.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Blog Entries
    Everyone says that, but my experiences with Dell support have always been fairly good.

Right now I'm looking at powernotebooks.com and customizing an Asus G53SW-A1.
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, the problem with Dell (and I am typing this on a Dell laptop, so...) is that they make everything Dell-specific, and then charge you three times the market price. So, if your hard drive happens to break (like mine did...), you have to pay £150 for a new one instead of £50 like you would if you were able to buy a normal one. Similarly, finding a replacement charger was nigh-on impossible.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Well, the problem with Dell (and I am typing this on a Dell laptop, so...) is that they make everything Dell-specific
    THIS

SO MUCH THIS

But then, that isn't limited to only Dell- Apple and Sony do it as well.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, I know Apple do, yes, and I hate them even more than I do Dell. I don't really own anything Sony that would be succeptible to that, though (my phone is Sony Ericsson, but I've yet to find a phone company that doesn't use its own charger etc.), and I've never seen anyone who does, so I can't be sure about them.

most korean phones use microusb chargers

HTC, LG, Samsung etc, most of their phones, I think all of their smartphones, use microusb

though HTC is taiwanese...

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    By Sony, I meant more the Playstation series- you can't do jack with a PSP without risking bricking it, the PS2 was extremely limited in the discs it would take (my one stopped taking some of my CDs once they had a bit of dust or minor scratches), and by their recent "LOL NO YOU CAN'T HAVE LINUX ANY MORE" I'm guessing the PS3 is just as limited.

For Apple, their iShit and Macs.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Buying a laptop to play games on?

OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO

Blog Entries
    Buying a laptop which can also play some games.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I know you're not even looking in that direction right now, but I just wanted to say anyway that some HP laptops have heat issues. *cough cough*

Yes... heat 'issues'. Other than that though, they're apparently awesome.

Blog Entries
    I was actually going to investigate HP today. You have an HP, I take it?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I personally use a Dell, but have had 4 close friends use HP laptops that end up being a very fancy stove that does sums. Though I have heard of decent models. So just be careful when doing your research.

I have an HP, yeah, it has some heat issues but as long as you don't decide to run heavy programs ie games on it for more than 3 hours, it should be fine

Blog Entries
    As long as we're recommending resellers, xoticpc is pretty good. Don't know if they're better or worse than any other reseller out there, but I bought my Sager from them and the customer service was pretty great. Plus, there's an automatic 3% discount on any cash purchase, which includes paypal echecks.

Also, Sager/Clevo makes some pretty nice high-end laptops. Though, like anything else, do the research first.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I know you're not even looking in that direction right now, but I just wanted to say anyway that some HP laptops have heat issues. *cough cough*

Yes... heat 'issues'. Other than that though, they're apparently awesome.
    lol yeah, "issues". roommate had an HP 4 years ago, tried to run some 3D imaging program for his engineering class. in about 20 minutes, the hard drive physically melted beyond repair. This HP was new at the time, too.