Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice for a new laptop

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I feel a little bad for this... but that story puts a smile on my face =3

So something like HPs are very powerful... you just can't actually use that power for very long. Oh! HP laptops are like Ultramen!

Personally I've decided to not buy a HP laptop if I can help it. My current Dell is amazing and has done everything I've asked of it in the past 1 and a half years (Studio 14 of some sort).

Quote Originally Posted by Kyokushi View Post
    most korean phones use microusb chargers

HTC, LG, Samsung etc, most of their phones, I think all of their smartphones, use microusb

though HTC is taiwanese...
    I recall that's because the EU introed a new law to reduce e-waste (ie, you can use your old charger when you decide to change phones, like you can in Japan). If anything, Samsung Korea makes near-identical phones in Korea, which are then released worldwide with worldwide bandwidth capabilities (we Koreans use CDMA mind you). Or vice versa sometimes as the case with the GT-S8500 which never got released in Korea, but the S8530 did.

Now, all that aside.
    I know I'm late to the suggest a laptop suggestion party.
    If you want something portable, high performance AND with decent battery life, I'll have to recommend the VAIO VPC-Z. Though not too sure if they're available where you live (as VAIO is in the midsts of restructuring and test-marketing new release models; some existing lineups have been reported to suddenly (dis)appear in various regions).

The VPC-Z in the States and in Japan were fully customisable. The below are the highest possible specs:
    - i7-Q640 (it was a Q640 if my memory servces correct, a quadcore nonetheless)
    - upto 8GB DDR3 1066MHz dual-channel memory
    - upto 1TB SSD (4x SSDs under RAID0)
    - blu-ray writer
    - 13.1'' 1080p LED LCD panel (semi-matt, unlike the glossy mirrors you get on all other brands these days)
    - backlit keyboard if you're into that sort of thing
    - ambient light sensor for the above two (LCD and keyboard)
    - hybrid graphics (a nVidia GT330m with 1GB dedicated, paired with Intel's own intergrated solution). This isn't Optimus mind you; can choose via a switch-flick or set to Optimus-esque auto, in which case it goes INTEL on battery and nVidia on AC (the Intel demands less battery power than the nVidia)
    - your choice in carbon fibre or brushed metal finish
    - 6+ real-world hours off the standard battery (more using the optional 9-cell battery)
    - region dependent, built-in noise cancelling capability with included earbuds

...if you decide to go all out, you'd be looking at US$3000+

I personally own the VGN-Z (which is 2 years behind the VPC-Z). Have modified it somewhat and still have some plans for it. It was introed back in mid 2008 and in its current state it is still more powerful than most i3 CPUs and a few i5s

Although not world-renown for after sales service (VAIO service has a ranking of D- on BBB in the States I think), if you take care of your stuff a VAIO should last you a while. My VGN-Z is 2.5 years old now and minus the small issues I had in the past (which warranty service resolved), it's still going strong.

The Z series VAIOs are all highly regarded in reviews and from private users. I daresay it's in a niche of its own as it offers huge performance WHILE maintaining a mass of approx 1.5kg. The VPC-Z's only real competitor is the VGN-Z, and the 2006-era VGN-SZ. Maybe a Macbook Pro but hey, I'm not an Apple fan so can't comment there.
    Last edited by sushimonster; June 16th, 2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Some more info
    Image editor for the Fate/hollow ataraxia English Translation Project