Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Apophenia [Fanmade VN]

Fate/Apophenia [Fanmade VN]

Hello everyone! This is an attempt at making a fangame based on the Fate/Stay Night VN and the Fate franchise in general within the Nasuverse. We are a very small team working on this right now, consisting of three people of which two are helping on story only. Most of the coding, writing and art has been left to me. While I can handle it, any aid would be greatly appreciated. Hey, even if you're not interested in helping, your opinion on our main plot would be extremely helpful!

Background story behind the project

Now this is quite important because it might be a major dealbreaker for most in the western Fate fandom. The original idea for this game/story came from really wanting to see some Arturia/Gilgamesh interaction with Gilgamesh's personality being like it was during life and not messed up due to humanity being messed up during the time he was summoned. Gilgamesh being like he was in Fate/Extra CCC. We wanted to create a scenario that would fit into canon and would allow us to explore the dynamics between both characters, their personalities and their backstories. Of course, we don't want to romanticize it. We are fully aware of how problematic their relationship is due to Fate/Stay Night- we want to take all of this into account- but going further into the exploration of their relationship.

Now that that has been taken out of the way, this is obviously not a fanwork solely made to have Gil and Arturia interact, we created a plot that would allow us to explore and create many other characters beyond that. We want to explore the stories of servants in the three first holy grail wars, their lives and legends.

Plot

During the events of the Fifth Holy Grail War, Ilyasviel von Einzbern, as the embodiment of the Holy Grail, sacrificed herself to close the pathway opened by a corrupted grail. The Greater Grail was destroyed, bringing the ritual of Fuyuki to a conclusion. However, the Grail had been in place for far too long, it held far too much concentrated magical energy; the sudden dismantlement of such a structure, which after 200 years, had almost become a natural part in the mana flow within the region, was bound to fail. The ritual ended, yet the mangled structure slowly begun to regenerate.

After a couple decades had passed, the Magic Association began to become increasingly more desperate to reach Akasha. They turned their eyes to the previous ritual held in Fuyuki - and sought to recreate it. The Magic Association took their own path, straying from the knowledge of the three founding families. With the complete eradication of the Makiri/Matou line after Fifth War and the Tohsaka family head, Rin, refusing to help in any way with the recreation of the ritual, the Magic Association followed their own crooked path. The Association’s mixture of stubbornness and desperation led them to take a dangerous shortcut in their new establishment. Due to lack of planification and information, the site where the mangled grail stood was revisited and used as the centre for the newly established ritual. This reestablished Greater Grail was a source of great instability - forcing it to work like a properly built structure ignited the unstable magical energy engulfing it, resulted in the opening of a leak into Akasha.

The leak led to the creation of a spiritual reality - a massive reality marble - a realm of spirits and magic with no physical manifestation, close to The Root.
    This realm, much like Akasha, is a place based on energy and magic, holding no connection to Gaia whatsoever. It is a place brimming with an aura of unfulfilled wishes, hatred and despair. Being influenced by the guidelines of the Grail War, the leak into Akasha serves as a way of summoning Heroic Spirits recorded within the Throne of Heroes. Due not being connected to the world in any direct way, true heroic spirits are summoned rather than emanations, as there is no need to worry for inconsistencies within the world in a spiritual realm. Similarly, the souls of magi are forcibly summoned into this realm to take part as "masters".

-Except there is no Holy Grail to fight for.

There is no point to the summoning. Any human with at least one working magic circuit is eligible for being summoned into this realm. Their soul will escape their body, leaving it in a coma like state. This results in many inexperienced and confused magi trapped in the place. A magus with enough magic circuits and great skill should be good enough to handle themselves and even be able to communicate with the outside world - but those with poor circuits are bound to get their minds twisted by the place, going so far into believing there actually is an omnipotent wishing granting device to fight for.

While Heroic Spirits have no reason to fight each other, magi who find themselves in the realm need to fight for the existence of their soul. Upon the magic association noticing the great swirl of mana at the moment of the summoning of a master, they were able to investigate the potential of the leak in terms of reaching Akasha, and would continue to seek the exploitation of the system.

If a soul - let it be heroic spirit or magus - is to perish within the realm, it will be collected by the faulty grail. The more souls the grail collects, the more power it gains to open a proper route into Akasha. Even if one does not wish to reach Akasha - they will still have to fight in order to survive against the vile attacks of the members of the Magic Association. Besides, if one wishes to escape the realm and return to Gaia, they will have to see the war through to the end.

Screenshots

Characters

Aaaand that's what we have at the moment! I hope to update soon with more information! Opinions appreciated!

More info at

Fate-Apophenia.tumblr.com
    Fate-Apophenia.deviantart.com

Blog Entries
    So Definitely Not Extra? Good on you for the ambition, best of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I like the art.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    >Arturia

Dropped.

Also change the colours for Gil's stat screen, holy mother that's a strain to read.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors UnlimitedBladeWorks's Avatar
    Uh a little verse mechanic nitpick here, Gilgamesh was not messed up by humanity the only reason he acts differently in CCC is because he likes that era better. Best of luck though

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UnlimitedBladeWorks View Post
    Gilgamesh was not messed up by humanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh
    If I were, for example, to become incarnated, my blood as a human would stir and my nature would gravitate towards that of the humans of that era.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Humanity ruined the perfect king, everyone. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    That's not really humanity ruining him, per se. It's Gil ruining himself.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    That's not really humanity ruining him, per se. It's Gil ruining himself.
    Radiation doesn't ruin your body, your body ruins itself!
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    It's not like he magically changes. The current era just runs against his taste and pisses him off. It's like saying a noisy movie theater changed you when it made you mad.

Blog Entries
    It's not like he magically changes.
    my nature would gravitate towards that of the humans of that era.
    ?
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    That could mean a lot of things.

Blog Entries
    No, it's pretty clear. Gil's own natured, if iincarnated, becomes like the nature of humans of this era.

That is to say, destructive and consumerist.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Yes. But then that means he had no original nature, because when he was alive, he was just gravitating towards the humans of his own era. So it can't be said that it was ruining him, because there was no default nature to ruin.

Blog Entries
    That could mean a lot of things.
    No, he says right there in CCC that he has no such compulsion right now due to not being incarnated, meaning it's not just a matter of likes and dislikes because at the very least being incarnated has an effect in how he interacts with the world.

- - - Updated - - -

But then that means he had no original nature
    Says right there in CCC that he's in his natural state.
    Last edited by Siriel; March 26th, 2015 at 02:16 PM.
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    “Fool. As if my affection points would rise.
    I am more indifferent now than I usually am.
    Most of what goes on is none of my business, after all.

If I were, for example, to become incarnated, my blood as a human would stir
    and my nature would gravitate towards that of the humans of that era---
    however, there is no such alteration here.

Thus, I shall simply tour SE.RA.PH as I please.
    Some trivial secret like this will do as fare.”

....(sigh)
    The hero who has known no fear since the Age of the Gods,
    and lived only according to his desires.

It seems that his way of existence is no different now as a Servant from when he was alive.
    quote for this stuff.

Blog Entries
    Makes sense. His nature is the same as the nature he had when he was being influenced by humans in his original life, since he's just a copy of what got recorded. But incarnating makes him no longer just a copy. He can live and experience and so his nature shifts towards that of current humans, per his statement.

I um, gonna leave these gui updates here

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Needs more hamming it up with the dialogue but I love the presentation.

How are you doing this all? I always wanted to do it.

Needs more hamming it up with the dialogue but I love the presentation.

How are you doing this all? I always wanted to do it.
    Thanks!
    This is still the first draft so its natural for the writing to still be rough, it will improve in the future no doubt.
    We're doing this with Ren'Py, a Visual Novel engine working with Python language.