Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart

Heart

Should I? Probably not.

Will I? Definitely.

This is the (surprisingly tiny) first chapter of my would-be fanfic contest entry, one of the two and a half I managed to finish before the deadline due to reasons. Looking at it now I'd say it was a beneficial twist of fate, since it would require too much work and would end up being more trouble than it's worth.

Again, as always, feel free to rip me to shreds. I welcome it.

Disclaimer: Nothing is mine, I'm writing this for fun only and all that jazz. I hope I didn't make some horrible lore transgression somewhere.

1 - An Unfinished Sympathy

It arrived that morning, and she spotted it while doing her usual mailbox check before work.

Stuffed awkwardly all the way to the back of the tiny Tohsaka mailbox as it was, she could have easily overlooked it in favor of tossing away numerous promotional leaflets that crowded the box as usual, but she didn't. Some part of her still expected Emiya’s letters, even after six months without as much as a word from him.

She opened the tiny mailbox doors and fished out the envelope, a tattered piece of paper that looked more like a 20th century war document you'd see behind glass in a museum, and less like a piece of secret correspondence between faraway friends. She slipped it into her pocket and made her way towards the station, wondering what could make him want to write to her now. He was probably just bored out of his head after he managed to successfully alienate her, the only person he could actually talk to since he left, half a year ago.

But something was off.

She tried not to think about it, at least not before arriving to work and getting inside her tiny Clock Tower office, locking the door behind her. She usually avoided bringing any of his letters to work - any piece of information that could be traced back to him posed a risk of someone in the Association discovering who he was and what special…talents he had, and making her or someone else find him and bring him here to be probed and dissected and stuffed into a jar of formaldehyde. A risk she deemed not worth taking, since he was in some way still her student and her responsibility and, despite her reluctance to admit it to herself, her friend as well.

But today was different. Today she was somehow beyond caring. She plopped down into the chair behind her desk and tore the envelope open carefully.

And after opening it, she was immediately taken over by a strange, but familiar feeling of dread. A feeling which, she realized with resigned surprise, she'd felt before.

When she left her apartment this morning, when she first touched the letter.

When she'd wake up in cold sweat almost every other night for the last few weeks, torn from her sleep by long forgotten nightmares of shattered landscapes and a somehow familiar, suffocating pain. Nightmares and pain that were not her own, but were too sharp and clear to be completely foreign.

Somehow she knew what the single piece of paper inside the envelope was before she even unfolded it fully. And it was not from him. Technically.

It was how the letter itself was dirty and carelessly folded, with something that looked like a food stain or a section of a coffee mug ring, and how there were no careful and precise, almost girlish signs filling the page, but instead a few short, fading sentences of roman letters, punched in by a typewriter so hard it cut the characters into the paper. But mostly because she was expecting it would arrive, sooner or later.

Short and cold and to the point, it formally informed Rin Tohsaka, contact person, of the execution of private military contractor Shirou Emiya by hostile forces, following 120 days of POW status.

Location of imprisonment and death unknown, no mention of remains, no personal effects.

His company registration number was added, and the letter, if it could even be called such, ended with a short and awkwardly written message of condolence.

And that was it.

The life and times of Emiya Shirou, brought to a short conclusion in some faraway, war torn country, and reduced to a number on a dirty piece of paper sent halfway across the world because she was the only one who knew what his life was truly like.

Had
    been like.

She thought it would make her cry, or maybe even laugh at how well deserved and fitting his eventual and inevitable grisly end would be. She was expecting at least an emotion, any emotion, but all she felt was passionless, empty resignation.

What a waste, she thought, and decided that it would be her last thought on the subject. He most certainly won't be the last of her students to die.
    It was the life of a magus: to lose friends, students, family.

Wasn’t it? It certainly was the assumption she worked from when she forced herself to accept it a long time ago. She accomplished that task perfectly, as she would any other.

Because she was Rin Tohsaka, and being anything short of textbook magus just wouldn't do. And magi don't waste time on crying for the fallen.

So she stuffed the letter and the envelope back into her coat pocket and commenced her preparations for today's classes.

She couldn't remember why they fought. She also couldn't remember the reason they started writing to each other in the first place.

It felt like an eternity had passed since then.

She had already settled comfortably into her faculty life at the Clock Tower. The melting pot for magi from all over the world and the hotspot of political intrigue, it felt like it opened up to her completely only after she took up the professorial mantle, even if she had to climb her way up from assistant status before she could truly claim the title.
    After years spent carefully crafting her academic and social influence as a member of the student body, it was natural that she would be chosen, and given the chance to personally select which professors would mentor her - a perk not available to less promising candidates.

A small office was awarded to her, and enough funds to cover the expenses of more extravagant materials she would need for the more advanced magecraft she would be doing as part of her teaching and training. She calculated that she could soon afford moving from the tiny townhouse apartment she spent her post-student life in and find a place more appropriate for a Clock Tower professor.

Clock Tower Professor Rin Tohsaka - the title filled her with pride and satisfaction.And was well deserved, for working her butt off to earn her own place and respect in this thankless place.

In addition to hard work, life as a professor entailed numerous hours spent socializing, attending parties, galas, promotions and ceremonies, and being pulled around by the whim of everyone who happened to occupy a higher rung of the social ladder. Rin navigated through it with learned ease and grace that was unfaltering even in the face of inevitable petty adversities that always bloomed when so many important and self-important people gathered at one place. In time, she learned which people to politely smile to, which to befriend, who to flatter and who to safely ignore, and treated it all as an amusing puzzle to keep her wit alert in the face of her impressive and ever increasing workload.

Each social encounter or gathering filled with small, self-imposed challenges, to be always more, always better. It became her lifeblood, and she felt like her reputation finally started taking a direction of its own, building upon her talent and proud inheritance, and not those few cold, sad and bloody days of her youth back in Fuyuki.

So it was somewhat of a nuisance when his first letter arrived, but she read it anyway, for curiosity’s sake.

It had to wait a few weeks for a chance to be read though, and she ended up opening her desk drawer to look for it one day when she felt like taking a small reprieve from presently futile attempts to cram the Basics of Mana Storage inside a three hour lecture and using the pauses in that to write out a saccharine letter to her elderly jewel dealer, asking about health and grandchildren and hoping that her complaints on the purity of the latest shipment were sharp enough to be noticed, but gentle enough to net her an apology discount on the next batch.

Few people wrote to her these days, most favoring more secure and efficient methods of communication or personal visits, sending messages of invitation via couriers or familiars or, as was the case with a certain drill-haired nuisance, simply inviting themselves over and barging into her apartment unannounced whenever they wanted to share juicy gossip or play the bloody madrigal on her already worn out nerves.

At first she thought it was Ayako, or some other high school friend she'd kept in touch with after leaving for London, but the girls preferred to incessantly message her on the hellish device popped into her suitcase when they helped her pack after a visit few years ago, ‘to modernize her’. The thought of operating the thing still made her frown.

No, the only person who could've possibly written to her was Emiya, since no one but him knew her London address. She inspected the letter a bit: it was tarnished by its journey, but even before seeing his name on it the precise and space-conserving handwriting it was written in removed any doubts she may have had. She was, after all, the one who loomed over him with a ruler, ready to smack him on the head at any sign of faltering dedication to his English crash course. She could recognize that handwriting anywhere.

EMIYA SHIROU

(post office address)

Algiers, Algeria 16132

She opened the envelope and unfolded the letter. Inside was a single, moderately filled page.

He greeted her with a simple Tohsaka, the omission of a Dear or any such term entirely in-character for him.

He apologized for not writing sooner, took him long enough, and asked about her health, her life, her studies. Mentioned being thankful for her lessons and how many of them serve him well in his job. He talked about himself, although briefly: he was apparently on a short leave before being called on again by his company, but offered no further details on the subject of his current employment.

I really don't want to hear about it either.

He talked about meeting an amiable Clock Tower magus recently, who spoke highly of her and told him about her shining talent and growing influence inside the organization, as well as her new teaching position. He congratulated her for it.

He's being chummy with random magi, the idiot, she thought, but found herself smiling a bit at the words regardless, at hearing from him again. Awkwardly conversing with Shirou, even if it was currently one-sided, made her feel like a young girl again. Not that she was old now, by any means.

And him being an idiot was nothing new.

She was broken out of her reverie by arriving to the postscript, one that she didn't even notice before.

''What happened to your paper? Did you publish it?''

She grimaced.
    The damned paper.

She folded the letter and stuffed it back into the envelope, opening the desk drawer to return it to its place there, but some infernal, idiotic impulse made her look at it, sitting quietly and rotting away at the bottom of the drawer.

A stack of paper, waiting for 'better days', days when she'll actually have the mental fortitude to torch the whole thing. Amateurish work that couldn't hold a candle to the things she's dealing with these days.

A stack of paper that was a product of her youth. A symbol of a different life.
    A road they once walked, together.

She groaned and pulled the papers out.
    Last edited by Snow; April 2nd, 2016 at 08:45 AM.

マリーの味方
    i liked it. i was a bit weary at first because reading fan fiction about shirou or rin is honestly kind of tiring, but it made me smile, particularly when she was reading his letter.

i don't really have much comment on technical skills but

In addition to hard work, life as a professor entailed numerous hours spent socializing, attending parties, galas, promotions and ceremonies, and being pulled around by the whim of everyone who happened to occupy a higher rung of the social ladder, but Rin navigated through it with learned ease and grace that was unfaltering even in the face of inevitable petty adversities that always bloomed when so many important and self-important people gathered at one place.
    this is a very long sentence. maybe it was intentional, but something feels off about it.

I really like this idea, honestly. I have not yet become jaded to Rin and Shirou, so never fear. I like seeing the approach of splintering them off into different lives, that still somehow find a way to intersect. And I find the idea of corresponding through snail mail to add a nice impression of nostalgia and romance, as well as being true to the way magi conduct their affairs. I also really enjoyed how you play with time sequence between your sections and I think you did it very well.

Technically speaking, I think that you employ a lot of commas where you should probably break things into another sentence entirely. Also, I noticed a few spots where there's no space between a period and the start of the next sentence. I'd advise taking a couple sweeps over any particular chapter to tinker with this sort of thing before posting. However, it's certainly still very readable and I think the concept more than makes up for technical issues.

Overall, the impression I'm left with from this so far is that it's bittersweet, and that I wouldn't hesitate to read more if you decide to continue.

マリーの味方
    this is kind of unrelated, but the story reminded me: i've always wanted to see taiga's reaction to shirou's death. there's a scene in F/HA where shirou and taiga have a talk, and shirou promises that even if he goes away, he'll eventually return one day (i've posted an image of it once, and i searched forever to find it... couldn't). ever since reading that scene i've watched to see her reaction to his eventual death as archer.

idk, thought i'd share in case you continued this, maybe you could incorporate it somehow

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    this is a very long sentence. maybe it was intentional, but something feels off about it.
    My god, that one is terrible. I broke it off but there's still many more offenders to deal with. Thanks for pointing it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Glow View Post
    I really like this idea, honestly. I have not yet become jaded to Rin and Shirou, so never fear. I like seeing the approach of splintering them off into different lives, that still somehow find a way to intersect. And I find the idea of corresponding through snail mail to add a nice impression of nostalgia and romance, as well as being true to the way magi conduct their affairs. I also really enjoyed how you play with time sequence between your sections and I think you did it very well.

Technically speaking, I think that you employ a lot of commas where you should probably break things into another sentence entirely. Also, I noticed a few spots where there's no space between a period and the start of the next sentence. I'd advise taking a couple sweeps over any particular chapter to tinker with this sort of thing before posting. However, it's certainly still very readable and I think the concept more than makes up for technical issues.

Overall, the impression I'm left with from this so far is that it's bittersweet, and that I wouldn't hesitate to read more if you decide to continue.
    Thanks, you're being very kind. I'll comb through it when I'm less tired and I promise to deal with these things thoroughly beforehand in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    this is kind of unrelated, but the story reminded me: i've always wanted to see taiga's reaction to shirou's death. there's a scene in F/HA where shirou and taiga have a talk, and shirou promises that even if he goes away, he'll eventually return one day (i've posted an image of it once, and i searched forever to find it... couldn't). ever since reading that scene i've watched to see her reaction to his eventual death as archer.

idk, thought i'd share in case you continued this, maybe you could incorporate it somehow
    The aftermath and effect of his death on people who cared for him is one of the major themes I had in mind for this. Hope I manage to do it right.

the tortured magi department Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This breaks my heart already, but I do hope that you will continue it because I would like to see where your take on it goes. This is something I had thought about a lot, when I was initially watching the UBW anime and pieced together what was going on. (For me, it was intuition, rather than eyebrows.) I mulled over what it must have been like for Rin to respond to his death, probably being far away but still aware of his life in some way until it ended. I like that it seems like she is trying to put away the thought and go back to her backbone as a magus, but it seems that at least in terms of thinking about its significance that she cares too much to actually do that very well. As much as I had thought along these lines myself, I shy away from such things too much to commit to a dead-for-real narrative that has much content to it. It hurts, but I need more.

On a technical level, Glow and Sesto have both pointed out that you are inserting commas where you might have more breaks. Honestly, I think I do this too. When I revise my work, I often find myself pulling strings of thought apart that are connected but that are grammatically separate. I think that the style you indicated you were emulating is sort of more traditional novel style? For all my talk about writing, I feel like I don't have as good a grasp on the movement and style terms that I should have, but I think that the way you are using very long sentences is evocative of novels from another time, earlier in the 20th century perhaps. I don't think that's a bad thing to emulate! For me, I think that Lolita is the best prose in the English language and it definitely impacted how I tend to write my stuff, even if nothing I write ever sounds like Nabokov, if that makes sense. So, don't be discouraged in your effort to draw influence from something you like. This is actually something I advise people to do who are stuck on their writing quite often.

The only real 'problem' I see is one with flow, which I empathize with greatly. It's basically that because you have a very attentive descriptive voice that sometimes it's hard to keep track of what's relevant to the setting and what's relevant to the scene. Varying sentence length will help with this. In an effort to give constructive critique, I'll pick this little part from early on, because I think there's both something excellent about it and something that speaks to the thing I think it would help you to work on structurally:

Stuffed awkwardly all the way to the back of the tiny Tohsaka mailbox as it was, she could have easily overlooked it in favor of tossing away numerous promotional leaflets that crowded the box as usual, but she didn't. Some part of her still expected Emiya’s letters, even after six months without as much as a word from him.
    I love this short little paragraph, and it punches me in the stomach. The anticipation of Shirou's voice coming from this letter contrasted with the revelation that he's gone burns, and the fact that you point out that he has been silent for the last months of his life sets the tone for this punch in the stomach. It hurts, but it's a very poignant kind of hurt. The first sentence, however, is the kind of description I also really appreciate of a scene. The acknowledgment of the existence of things like junkmail and the everyday trappings and mess of life are things that help ground a scene in a reader's mind, I think. However, I think that it might be a little easier to read if you somehow broke it up such that you are describing in one sentence what she anticipates or what is characteristic of her mailbox -- your description of the junkmail, your description of how that is a picture that is business as usual. Then, you move on to the 'conflict' in this one little tiny paragraph. You move on to what is different, the moment of discovery. Then, you have more room for both the description and the action to stand on their own without getting in each other's way. If you separate them out, you might find that you are expanding on both, and you might find that you take roughly the same amount of space and time for both. Either is fine, but untangling the two ideas from each other gives you more options and flexibility. And really, that is the biggest structural issue you have. I think that you're doing a good thing with your style, descriptions, and content. Just a little more work on managing your pieces to avoid them getting tangled up will really set you free, and I look forward to anything more you choose to write!
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.

Thank you very much for the feedback and constructive criticism, Prix. I think you've helped me finally put a finger on what was it exactly that made my writing read so awkward to me at certain points.

While the tangled sentences might be something I picked up from reading stuff, I think it requires an amount of skill I don't have at present to not be confusing and have the desired effect, so I think I'll be better off toning it down a bit, as you said.

Good stuff, good stuff, I look forward to future chapters.

the tortured magi department Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thank you very much for the feedback and constructive criticism, Prix. I think you've helped me finally put a finger on what was it exactly that made my writing read so awkward to me at certain points.

While the tangled sentences might be something I picked up from reading stuff, I think it requires an amount of skill I don't have at present to not be confusing and have the desired effect, so I think I'll be better off toning it down a bit, as you said.
    You're welcome. And don't worry if a style element isn't working 100% when you start. Just step back, look at what you want from it, and keep trying!
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links

Spoiler:
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.

Blog Entries
    Well, we all exaggerate our own quality problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by @Keo View Post
    Well, we all exaggerate our own quality problems.
    We do?

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Wait, if this was supposed to be longer than what you already have here, that makes me rather curious what else you've got in store for Rin. Worth a subscription, then.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    Nice read. But is this context after Fate route or UBW? If it is the latter, then it counts for an excellent tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    Wait, if this was supposed to be longer than what you already have here, that makes me rather curious what else you've got in store for Rin. Worth a subscription, then.
    Thanks for checking it out! I hope I'll be able to update somewhat regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by rxrx View Post
    Nice read. But is this context after Fate route or UBW? If it is the latter, then it counts for an excellent tragedy.
    Thanks! It's set after Fate, since I wanted to focus on the friendship.

Blog Entries

Thanks! It's set after Fate, since I wanted to focus on the friendship.
    Nice to know, looking forward to your next piece.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm actually commenting, finally! I'm just going to go through the whole thing and give you some notes and thoughts on it bit-by-bit, and then write something more in-depth afterwards. I'll tell you now, though, that this was a very nice read, and I'm certainly looking forward to more from you!

He was probably just bored out of his head after he managed to successfully alienate her, the only person he could actually talk to since he left, half a year ago.
    Just slightly confusing here: did he alienate her half a year ago, or did he leave half a year ago? The previous paragraph clears this up, sort of, but it still feels off on its own. Aside from that, 'alienate' feels like an interesting term to use here; it hints at their relationship being a bit more volatile at some point in the past - will you be exploring this a bit, going into the fight that you later mention they had, or will you leave it vague?

probed and dissected and stuffed into a jar of formaldehyde.
    I like the imagery here, lol. Darkly funny, feels appropriate for the tone of the story so far.

She plopped down into the chair behind her desk and tore the envelope open carefully.
    Just my opinion, but 'tear' and 'carefully' kind of oppose each other in terms of their tone and implications. Tearing is rough, a negative, destructive act - and she does this carefully? Maybe, since she's classy adult Rin and all, she's use a letter opener or something if she wanted to be properly careful.

When she let her apartment this morning
    Typo~

Also, relating to this line, it feels weird to me that you're mentioning just now that she had this feeling in the morning when she touched the letter. When you described her taking the letter from the mailbox, though, she seemed... nonchalant, almost? There wasn't much of a hint towards this feeling of dread other than nothing that 'something was off' with the letter. Perhaps this is an issue with the flow of the story up to this point? Or maybe you had some other emotion in mind when writing this part specifically. Your thoughts?

Short and cold and to the point, it formally informed Rin Tohsaka, contact person, of the execution of private military contractor Shirou Emiya by hostile forces, following 120 days of POW status.

Location of imprisonment and death unknown, no mention of remains, no personal affects.

His company registration number was added, and the letter, if it could even be called such, ended with a short and awkwardly written message of condolence.

And that was it.
    This. This is my favourite part of the story so far, and it's great. It's completely at odds in tone and structure with the rest of the narrative, adding to its impact; it still has impact, even though I knew what was going to happen going into this, since you talked about it with me a bit before.

I'm not really sure what else to say other than that; it's really, really great, and if everything else in the chapter was just kinda average, this would be enough to make me want to keep reading. It's very plain, but it makes sense that way. In a strange comparison, it reminds me of a few months ago, when an acquaintance of mine from high school passed away. I never knew she was dying or how she died, and really I never knew her that well in the first place, but I saw a couple mutual friends mention their condolences on Facebook - and that was it. I felt sad, in a detached, empty sort of way, and this reminds me of that. Rin doesn't feel like she expect she'd feel, learning about the death of someone she used to know.

I do have one other thing to say: it's personal 'effects,' not 'affects'!

those few cold, sad and bloody days of her youth back in Fuyuki.
    I like this, as a reference to the Holy Grail War. It really puts it into perspective how she views those events now, many years since; it shows she's distanced herself from them in a very important way, but this is all suddenly dragging her back in - which I suspect is one of the major points of the story to come.

No, the only person who could've possibly written to her was Emiya, since no one but him knew her London address.
    Why only him, and not one of her other students? Just curious, not criticizing, though on the other hand it seems like an odd justification for the letter necessarily coming from him, other than some other signifier.

A stack of paper that was a product of her youth. A symbol of a different life.
    A road they once walked, together.

She groaned and pulled the papers out.
    Ooh, good ending. More, I want to read more! You have, put simply, kept my attention from beginning to end, and left off with me wanting to read more of this particular story - that is all a writer can ask for from a reader, really, and you've accomplished it well.

I refrained from posting some notes that I thought were a bit more along the lines of what I'd have written it like; I didn't want to step on the toes of your style too much or anything like that. Technically speaking, it's mostly good, though I agree with Glow that maybe you're overusing commas when you should try to mix it up with dashes, semicolons, and plain full stops where apprpriate. A good idea could be to read your story aloud, and use that to get a sense of how well it flows. Sometimes reading it in your head or writing it straight out won't result in it feeling as natural as it should. I noticed you made a few edits, though, and that's a good start! Nobody's perfect, so it's impossible to avoid at least a few typos slipping through unless you've got a very thorough and picky beta reader or something.

Overally, I really liked reading this. A bit longer and it could be a cool oneshot; as it is, I think you'll be able to make a good series out of it. Not necessarily something long and drawn-out, unless that's what you're going for, but definitely poignant. I enjoy how it starts out rather sombre, and certainly doesn't promise to get any happier. In other words, the tone says right away, "this isn't going to be a happy story," and sets the reader up from some gut-punch moments. I'm certainly looking forward to a continuation of this, and answers to some of the questions you've built up over the course of just this one short chapter.

I wish you good luck with your writing!
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Just slightly confusing here: did he alienate her half a year ago, or did he leave half a year ago? The previous paragraph clears this up, sort of, but it still feels off on its own. Aside from that, 'alienate' feels like an interesting term to use here; it hints at their relationship being a bit more volatile at some point in the past - will you be exploring this a bit, going into the fight that you later mention they had, or will you leave it vague?
    Confusing, I agree. But I'm going into the details (hopefully) in the future chapters, yeah.

Just my opinion, but 'tear' and 'carefully' kind of oppose each other in terms of their tone and implications. Tearing is rough, a negative, destructive act - and she does this carefully? Maybe, since she's classy adult Rin and all, she's use a letter opener or something if she wanted to be properly careful.
    To be honest, I imagined how I open letters while writing this (turn to the side so contents drop to one shorter side, rip off the other carefully). Forgot that Rin herself is probably not so plebeian about it.

Typo~
    Ugh.

Also, relating to this line, it feels weird to me that you're mentioning just now that she had this feeling in the morning when she touched the letter. When you described her taking the letter from the mailbox, though, she seemed... nonchalant, almost? There wasn't much of a hint towards this feeling of dread other than nothing that 'something was off' with the letter. Perhaps this is an issue with the flow of the story up to this point? Or maybe you had some other emotion in mind when writing this part specifically. Your thoughts?
    Definitely an emotion inconsistency issue. I think so at least since I can't remember what was in my head when I wrote that for the life of me.
    This. This is my favourite part of the story so far, and it's great. It's completely at odds in tone and structure with the rest of the narrative, adding to its impact; it still has impact, even though I knew what was going to happen going into this, since you talked about it with me a bit before.
    That part came out much better then I expected, actually. I'm glad it ended up working exactly as intended.
    I do have one other thing to say: it's personal 'effects,' not 'affects'!
    Double ugh
    Why only him, and not one of her other students? Just curious, not criticizing, though on the other hand it seems like an odd justification for the letter necessarily coming from him, other than some other signifier.
    My guess was that as Rin got more and more involved in MA serious business she figured out it would be best that her muggle friends don't know exactly where she is and what she's doing (other than knowing she's doing something in London), and she uses more roundabout methods of communication with them. What I meant to say, basically, is that Emiya is the only one communicating with her by snail.

That was quite in-depth considering the length, and thank you for it. Some of my mistakes could be due to getting the thing out in the spur of the moment before I chicken out, but generally I'm glad I did. I'll focus on polishing things further in the future, probably after the first deadlines are over in a week or so and school relents a bit.

As for the edits, I didn't touch the content itself. Stylistic mistakes are something I have to live with but having an obvious typo in the text irks me, so I fix those when I find them and when people point out what I missed. The only other thing I did was separate the labyrinth of a sentence Sesto pointed out.

2 - Bodyache

She had tea with Luvia, about seven days after the letter arrived.

It’s not that they were friends. Their rivalry was still as heated as ever, if not even more so. But after all the years they spent in the same circles, having to tolerate each other and even, at times, work together, Rin and Luvia's relationship turned into one of grudging mutual respect.

They still traded favor for favor, though, and after Rin's assistance in procuring some only slightly classified information for her from the Clock Tower archives, Luvia went out of her way to return the favor as soon as possible.

Rin eyed the egg-sized amethyst Luvia placed into her palm again, appraising it as much as she could with her naked eye alone.
    Its purity was evident, at least.

‘’You’ll find the quality nothing short of finest, Professor Tohsaka, so don’t worry. Or is it that you don’t trust my word on this?’’ Luvia questioned, tone amused.

‘’Of course I don’t trust you, Luvia’’ , Rin answered, only half in jest ‘’but it appears you’re not lying this time’’.

She tore her eyes away from the jewel, raising her head and adopting the most professional tone she could muster.

‘’How much?’’

‘’Unfortunately not the…bagatelle…you used to give your former supplier, bless her soul, but I think this sample is more than enough proof of the value you’ll get for your money. These are royal jewelers, and their services don’t come cheap. But don’t be worried, Professor Tohsaka! If you’re having financial difficulties I’m sure I could arrange a discount on account of our close friendship!’’

‘’Nothing of the sort will be necessary, I assure you,’’ Rin was quite certain that the irritated twitching of her eyebrow was starting to show through the cracks in her professional façade Luvia was so fond of exploiting, but she was determined to keep her cool ‘’I’ll contact them with an offer personally, so there’s no further need for you to play courier.’’

‘’Excellent, Professor Tohsaka! I am sure they will be absolutely thrilled to gain an influential customer such as yourself.’’

‘’I’m sure they will.’’

Luvia was looking at her rather strangely, as if waiting for something. Rin groaned internally and spoke up.

‘’Thanks, Luvia.’’ She squeezed out. Luvia made a face of mock shock, and then put on her best photograph smile.

‘’You are welcome, Miss Tohsaka.’’ She chirped, her voice sounding…honest?

The sudden change in title and tone surprised Rin. Luvia used to call her that when they were students, and it always came with a thick veneer of mockery and condescension, which transferred to the way she always prefixed her name with ‘Professor’ when she gained the position of assistant later on. Rin didn’t expect to ever hear her first name without any ironic garnishing from the woman in her life, and it would actually be weird if she did, but suddenly reverting to calling her ‘’Miss’’ felt almost like a slip on Luvia’s part. Her smiling face betrayed nothing, but Rin knew Luvia well enough to know that it was not a deliberate change, and coupled with the tone of her voice it seemed like the first moment of emotional sincerity in this encounter.

‘’Oh, and by the way, Professor Tohsaka,’’ Luvia said, breaking Rin out of the haze of her own thoughts.

‘’Huh?’’

‘’You look ghastly today. Have you been getting enough sleep? Are you ill? The circles under your eyes look like they are going to spawn circles of their own!’’

For the length of an imperceptibly brief moment, Rin considered telling Luvia about the letter. She hastily buried the idea back into the godforsaken crevice of her mind it crawled out of, and muttered something sarcastic before going back to focusing on the clouds the drops of milk were making in the depths of her cup.

Later that evening, Rin’s reflection in the bathroom mirror confirmed that she did, indeed, look tired.

She had trouble sleeping the past week and, while not to the extent Luvia described, certainly, the wear-and-tear was starting to show. She looked bad, and felt worse. Phantom pains in her chest troubled her sometimes, never strong enough to be a real nuisance in her day-to-day life but noticeable enough to keep her up at night. Sometimes, when she’d position herself in a certain way, she could almost feel the cold bite of steel inside her chest, but remembering the circumstances of her stabbing disturbed her much more than any remaining pain could, as always.

But thoughts of Shirou made their way into her nightly musings recently as well.

She wouldn’t describe it as grieving for him, though. He just swooped in and out of her mind at random, and she’d remember moments, words, letters.
    Hours would pass in reminiscence before she would notice, her sense of time swallowed by errant thoughts and faint, impossible pain.

Her ‘teacher’ and her student, working in unison to ruin her slowly, even after death.

The comedy of it wasn’t lost on Rin.

She rubbed at her eyes and walked out of the bathroom, pausing a moment to let her eyes adjust to the pitch black that surrounded her. She didn’t turn on the lights, fearing that they would only wake her up further. She didn’t really need them either, as she knew the large townhouse apartment by heart, and could effortlessly navigate it without bumping into anything even in complete darkness.

She touched the fireplace mantle with her hand, to position herself, then walked past the loveseat and recliner, stepping onto the luxurious carpet in front of her bed. She threw herself onto it, wriggled under the covers and pulled them up over her ears, expecting to finally get a full night of sleep after an exhausting day.

It didn’t come to her, of course.

This time it was Shirou, and that damned paper again.

She was not even given the chance to grieve for her friend properly. He just walked into her head. Like it was a normal day, back at his house in Fuyuki, with him walking past her door to invite her for breakfast in the morning. Like nothing was wrong.

Like he wasn’t dead at all.

But now thoughts of him came together with thoughts of the paper, one connected with the other to torment and taunt her when she should be getting actual rest from her actual job.

The paper wasn’t her job. It was, for all accounts and purposes, a waste of time, from the moment she first put the pen down.

Why do I still keep it?

She steeled herself. Tonight will be the night. Tonight’s Rin will do what all the previous Rins were too scared, too lazy, too sentimental to do. She threw the covers away, jumped out of the bed, and stormed over to her wardrobe. She opened it, and pulled out a heavy cardboard box she’s kept it in ever since it grew massive enough to no longer be storable inside her desk drawer. With some grunting, she pulled it over to the fireplace.

A snap of her fingers was enough to start a fire, and she waited for it to catch onto the wood.

She eyed it like an old enemy and, through the sleep-depraved haze of her brain, the box appeared to be looking back at her with equal hatred.

Such insolence will not be tolerated.

She grabbed a handful of loose pages from the box, scattering some in the process. Pages chock full of text, diagrams and sketches landed at her bare feet. The soft glow of flames played across their yellowed surfaces.

She gripped the bunch tightly, wrinkling the paper in the process. Deep creases will appear there, those you cannot straighten and that affect readability. Maybe she should rewrite them while the writing is still re…

No.

‘’I’m throwing you away now,’’ she spoke to the pages, to steel herself further ‘’I’m going to burn you and then Shirou…’’

Blood around her knees.

She could feel her eyes getting moist. The fire was biting at them.

The smell of it in her nostrils.

‘’Then Shirou will let me sleep, won’t you?’’

Bloody hands feeling, looking for a pulse.

‘’Shirou?’’

Her hands trembled, remembering the motions of it. The memory of the despair she felt back then still as alive as ever. Was she asking him, or herself? Was there a difference?

‘It’s a lot of work.’

‘I know you can do it, Tohsaka!’

‘’Idiot.’’

She muttered and again, was if meant for him? Or for her? Both, she decided, and started picking up the scattered pages.

Since Shirou was adamant to soak in as much knowledge as he could from her before she left for London, she had accepted (grudgingly) to provide at least some basic training. She decided a prolonged stay at his house would be ideal for this, as she never went past feeling a slight discomfort with another magus in her house, even if said magus was a laughable amateur and no real threat. He didn’t really mind, and it didn’t take long before she became a vital member of the household, and life without the sight of her grumpy face in the morning was as unimaginable for him as one without Taiga raiding the dinner table daily, or without Ilya’s teasing that made Tohsaka fume, Taiga double over in laughter, and him tripping over himself to change the subject.

Their coexistence was a strange one, but Rin could see that it did him good. He held a lot baggage from the war locked somewhere deep inside. Wounds that would probably never truly heal. She shared some of them, and both instinctively knew which topics to avoid.

So they amused themselves with usual household conversations and school talk during the day, while the nighttime, after Taiga rode off on her scooter and Ilya was tucked into bed, was reserved for magic. She was strict and unrelenting with her teaching, always on the lookout for any imperfections and laziness in approach and, to his credit, he was never lazy. Some concepts were nearly impossible for him to grasp and his lack of ability often left her at a loss, but there was never a lack of persistence and hard work on his part, and that was additional motivation for her to try her best at teaching him as much as possible. Their arrangement was a success, and on good days she even felt like she could, in complete honesty, say that he was indeed improving.

They never really talked about Saber, or Archer. Rin kept telling herself that there would always be time for that conversation, that it was too soon. Both clung to some childish superstition that not mentioning the war at all would make the memories of the horrors disappear and the pain go away. Like the War would never hurt them again if they just closed their eyes and ears and whistled a happy tune.

She would never forget the look he gave her when she told him that Ilya was dying.

She wanted to hug him. Slap him. Anything to make that chillingly familiar expression go away, to make him feel something, anything. But instead she gave him just a dry explanation of why, when and how, a move that did nothing for either of them.

Maybe it was ridiculous, to cry over a homunculus, but she knew what it’s like to lose somebody all too well. So she decided to take a bit of the load, so no more time is spent in vain than was absolutely necessary.

But sometimes, she couldn’t take it either. Like a flower in a vase, Ilya was wilting in front of their eyes, and nothing they did could ever change that. The breath of death entered the household, soaking into every crevice, into the floorboards, into Illya’s tired eyelids and her wan attempts of a smile. It clung to their clothes when they left.

They made up some dumb story for Taiga, which they were both certain she didn’t believe for a second. But she must’ve realized there was nothing she could do, and she barely came over the last few weeks. When she did, she’d go over what she needed with Shirou at the front door, never coming further inside. A few times she just came over, hugged both of them, and went away without a word.

The day she died, they borrowed a car from a former schoolmate and drove to the castle. They arranged for her to be buried there some time ago, with Ilya expressing the desire to be buried under the lilacs, since they smelled the best and reminded her of spring. She didn’t want her grave marked in any way, so they left a simple bouquet of white lilies, and left.

They got drunk in his shed later that night. It was by her suggestion.

After it kicked in, they had talked for hours, about nothing at all. He told her about his father, she told him about hers. He told her about the night Saber appeared, right in this spot. She talked about Archer’s summoning, and they both laughed.

She told him how these last few days of her life, Ilya’s eyes reminded her of her mother. She never spoke about her mother to anyone, about the fear and despair that came after the last war. How at that moment, when she should’ve been in mourning for her parents, all she could feel was rage. Endless, bitter rage. She hated them all, for leaving her alone, for being so stupid. Endless, senseless selfishness, and the Tohsaka heir should’ve known better.

‘’Don’t you think that’s messed up, Shirou?’’

‘’It’s strange…’’

‘’What’s strange?’’

‘’I never would’ve guessed you were like that too, Tohsaka. Messed up, I mean…’’

She started crying, and then a bit later he was crying too. Just two godforsaken orphans, children who tired of playing adults, clinging to each other and crying their lungs out. They said nothing more that night, as if they just weren’t ready for it. Beyond that point, Rin felt like, try as she might, she could never come up with the right thing to say, so she didn't try, and neither did he.

(okay, so, most of this came into being a while ago, and it might be all over the place, but a tiny step forward is better than no step forward)

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Wow. This is a very touching piece of work. I'm not at all jaded by Shirou and Rin, so I'm getting everything at its fullest effect, and this really does break my heart.

I'll admit, this second chapter was a little less organized than the first, but it doesn't change its effect on me, so you are doing it right.

I should recommend this story for the recommendations list.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Well, I'm definitely hooked!