Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ain Soph Aur -The Spirit of Eternity Sword RP- (OOC Thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Ain Soph Aur -The Spirit of Eternity Sword RP- (OOC Thread)

The world of Zinesta.

For hundreds of years, the inhabitants of this planet have been struggling to survive in a deadly world rife with powerful monsters. To combat these great abominations known as Mana Beasts, they first harnessed the power of steel, coal and steam. When swords broke against the natural predators, they discovered a miraculous black powder that possessed far more destructive power.

Fueled by the heat of burning coals and armed with the destructive arms of technology, the people of Zinesta designed great vehicles and machines to combat the Mana Beasts that dominated the wilds. Armed with the light of progress, they carved their place in the wilderness and built great lasting cities and nations, raising tall walls and fortifications that would keep the creatures at bay.

As the people of Zinesta grew in strength, so did their opponents however. Their hides hardened against steel pellets and their girth grew until the monsters became behemoths that could rival the power of the Zinesta's steam gladiators: fewer in number, but several times deadlier. Seeking to overcome this even greater foe, the leaders of the people -now turned Kings and Queens- sought another method to combat the Mana Beasts.

In the end... The answer would be found in the very heart of their enemies.

Using mysterious growths on the slain monsters that the Zinestans called 'Mana Crystals', the planet's greatest scientists discovered miraculous properties on the material that could allow them to power creations once only seen in dreams. Using these crystals they created new chariots to fight the beasts, not of steel and steam, but of bronze and magic.

With these constructs, the people of Zinesta finally drove the monsters from the civilized regions of man, sealing them within the inhospitable wastes where they could no longer take away their lives. The entire world celebrated the ultimate victory over an ancestral war, and the discovery of mana was praised as the greatest achievement of the century. They thought that finally no more blood would be spilled, that from then on Zinesta would find peace.

However... With time, those same people forgot. Years of peace grew into decades, and in the bliss of safety, the wariness of the citizens turned into decadence.

With no common enemy to turn against, the Zinestans eventually grew to resent each other as their world grew and their space began to become limited. With monsters quickly harvested for mana crystals and their growth being limited as the presence of natives became greater, kingdoms began to vye for the rights to own these crystals and make the most of their power.

It took a hundred years after the Great Peace for the wars to start once more... But this time, it was a war with Zinestans on both sides.

The planet fell into an era of strife and power struggles. The chariots that once destroyed monsters were turned against the common man, guided by greedy kings and presidents that desired more power for themselves under the excuse of progress and prosperity for their states. These bloody conflicts found no victor, as though sometimes a country became stronger, it bled crystals and ended up damaging the needs of its inhabitants, and even further caused the destruction of others.

However, like the sickly sweet scent that attracted vultures to carrion, the blood spilled by war drove the Zinestans to find more efficient, swifter ways of offing each other. It was on an era like this... That one of Zinesta's nations came upon a break through that would forever alter the fate of this planet.

'Mana Sword' they called it... A strange, rusted weapon that had been excavated from a mine deep within the mountains. By complete accident, they discovered that the sword appeared to process whatever Mana was channeled to it. When further experimented on, they discovered it was possible to have the sword convert Mana into a foreign substance that was extremely easy to manipulate and could completely revolutionize the world as they knew it. They dubbed this substance... 'Ether'.

Upon this breakthrough, the scientists rejoiced. If they could replicate this process, even guide it, they would be able to make their nation the strongest in the world and finally put an end to the terrible wars raging across the world.

Little did they know, that their little discovery...

...Would soon turn into the invitation for a nightmare.

It began shortly after the discovery of Ether. All around the planet, more of these 'Mana Swords' started to emerge. Those which appeared within a certain nation were quickly approppiated, while others were subject to experimentation. However, it was during this period that something strange happened.

Reports arose of certain people wielding 'Mana Swords' not as power sources, but as tools of war. At first succeeding in defeating monsters and driving back even Zinestan chariots with their mere weapons, which wielded powerful magic when used by these humanoids. However, the world quickly grew horrified when some of these people turned insane and turned into serial killers of calamitous scale.

At first they called them 'Devils', later 'Witches' and finally simple 'Spirits', due to the way they simply faded to thin air when destroyed. Though mentally unstable, it was found out that these spirits could be indocrinated from birth to follow commands and quickly became an efficient, cheaper alternative to raising machines powered by Mana Crystals.

With those petty lords who were lacking in Mana Crystals resorting to raising these spirits as tools of war and the wealthier nations starting to spearhead the new branch of science involving the mysterious Ether, the curtain was being set for a new, more terrible form of war.

-Even so.

The war which everyone feared...

...Was not one that they could have ever expected.

---

Far above the world, in a realm that was and yet was not part of it, something stirred. The fabric that bound the skies together shifted, as if unsettled by the ripples that had started to spread in the recent years.

Slowly but surely, a hole began to open in that space. A twisting portal of magic beyond the fathom of mortals, to look upon it was to look on a form of reality incompatible with their minds- And yet...

Yet, from that gap in space... A single form watched. They looked down upon the world, teeming with mana, with countless lights heading through other holes in the space- Attracted like moths to a flame. They saw this. They saw all this, and...

...They hungered.

They smiled.

---

Ain Soph Aur
    -The Spirit of Eternity Sword- RP

Welcome, Eternal.

In this RP, you will be taking part in a war. It will not be a simple war, but rather, it is the only war that matters. One where the ultimate price is wagered, where the prize held for the victors is the fate of an entire world, one which has a history and culture as deep as anyone else, with innocent people that live and breathe in it just as anyone does. Countless millions, living day by day as they struggle to see another day with the cloud of war looming over their heads...

...They are but ants compared to your existence.

Would you like to know more? Then, if you are interested in this RP, please read this rulebook.

In this RP, you are a God, or at least the closest thing to it in the planet. You can be the big hero, or the monster of the story. Though you might have to face against others your equal, you have no real betters. Your decisions will alter the fate of countries, continents or even the entire world depending on their depth.

As a GM, I wanted to try doing something like this because before anything else, a play by post Roleplay such as this tries to tell a story. I want to see what kind of story players can craft when given this power, whether it all falls apart or they can manage to weave an interesting theme without falling into the vices of RPing.

This will be an RP with PvP. While getting kicked out of the RP due to your PC being unable to act is pretty much impossible, I will do my best to act as a neutral judge when such fights inevitably break out, and while there might at times be the need for some inconsistencies I'll apologize beforehand and state that I hope we can all have a fun experience.

I still don't get what's going on in the story!

People live in steampunk, magical world. After an era of not fucking things up, people naturally become asshats and start fighting wars against each other. During the war a bunch of scientists unearth a forbidden secret that ends up inviting things foreign to the world inside it, by weakening the fabric of space-time. You are the biggest fish among those things, using some god-like divine sword whose origins can be found from some form of ancient, kind of anime multiversal cosmological theory.

Saying it in one paragraph doesn't make it any easier to understand, jeez. Basically you're an immortal warrior with a dumb anime weapon whose powerlevels are out of whack. You're involved in a cosmic war between two factions, Law and Chaos (which aren't 'Evil' and 'Good' per se), and those few neutrals caught in between. You can either try to save the world from the Laws, protect it by helping Chaos, or just wait for things to go tits up and claim as many waifus as you can.

Will there be dumb powerlevel shenanigans?

Yes. That said, Eternals can't actually use their full power while inside the space-time axis of a world so they won't actually end up destroying the world with one spell, but scale doesn't affect how bullshit they are and I'm expecting the salt mines to start rolling anyways. Hopefully I'll be able to bullshit my way out of situations without having anyone ragequit.

Sounds like my kind of thing! When do we start?

I don't have any real plans for this. I guess I'll wait for two to three weeks, and after I've gotten sheets from people I'll pick the ones I like and roll with them. I'll be accepting up to 6 players, but that doesn't mean I'll definitely take six sheets. If I get only 4 good sheets and 10 retarded stuff, expect only 4 players.

---

List of Eternals:

Chaos:
    -
    -
    -

Law:
    -
    -
    -

Independent:

-
    -
    -
    Last edited by Erlkonig; March 24th, 2016 at 02:20 PM.
    Arthur-san is my waifu
    [20:57] frantic: I can't even remember what opinions I actually hold about the thing compared to shit I made up to piss people off
    [17:13] Airen: Its not an airen character unless gay

I got goosebumps reading that intro. Definitely sending a sheet.
    Regalia Hijinks

<Erlkonig|Phone> Why get a gf, when Airen is your waifu?

<Airen|Phone> I'll save everyone, it's fine

<Snaxies> Airen is totally Jesus again

<frantic> I actually hate reading your post because you're so fucking anime

<Reiu> Regalia is a scary place desu...

<Mellon> He who lives by the oneshot, dies by the oneshot

Personal Compliments

<@RacingeR> Pally would be a perfect shoujo lead

<Erlkonig> I would fall for Pally if he was a qt shoujo manga lead girl

Quote Originally Posted by Airen
    Only pala is pure, the rest of ya are twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetose
    I'm not sure if it's like this generally, but Pala seems to be very good at making naive and innocent, but also strangely bulliable characters.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Saying it in one paragraph doesn't make it any easier to understand, jeez. Basically you're an immortal warrior with a dumb anime weapon whose powerlevels are out of whack.

You called?

Will send in a sheet of course. How could I not?

In all the way.

Blog Entries
    I thought we agreed on just the tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    These admins are just popping in whatever thread they want, posting puns like that to rile things up! What despotism!
    Arthur-san is my waifu
    [20:57] frantic: I can't even remember what opinions I actually hold about the thing compared to shit I made up to piss people off

Someone should report them.

- - - Updated - - -

Might join if I can think of something.
    <Airen> I play hetero every once in awhile
    Spoiler:
    <~Katie> dude who gives a fuck about girls being gay, sometimes girls aren't gay and that decision should be respected

Spoiler:
    [12:21.40] that might be a top tier post[12:21.45] frantic[12:21.47] post of the month, even[12:21.48] this right here[12:21.49] is MC [12:21.56] johnny has nothing on this dude[12:22.00] he's the MC of the nisio half[12:22.12] so wait[12:22.15] [ ] is, after all, my rival character[12:22.16] am i the gag heroine[12:22.20] yes

this rp is full of swords and that's disgusting

joining so this twisted game can be reset

Blog Entries
    i must correct the flaws of this world
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

I have a weird fascination with making sheets for this.

Blog Entries
    Of course I shall be joining, now to make a sheet that will be entertaining.

Kaiser port complete.

Come at me Fantasia oldies

Hopefully Naziba will get more than 4 posts before the game dies this time.

Blog Entries
    Is it alright to play as characters who have appeared in one of the various games?

Blog Entries
    ok it's law time
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

Blog Entries
    Hi I heard you guys might need more protagonists. I'll bring back the best protagonist so wait warmly!

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Caster's Avatar
    Guess I should say I'm interested. Though I kind of doubt I'll submit before the deadline.

Blog Entries
    Finished my sheet and sent it in.

Blog Entries
    The Deadline will be April 13th, three weeks from when I opened the OOC.
    Arthur-san is my waifu

Blog Entries

A little bunch of worldbuilding

The St. Rolandyne Calendar, Year 460

It has been over forty years since the first 'Mana Sword' was discovered in the Empire of Vanderland, thus cascading the events of the age that would thereafter be known as the 'Ether Era'. The years that followed the discovery of the exotic form of energy known as Ether, and its implementation in various ambitious projects of Imperial Design, was followed by a series of chaotic conflicts as the mana-crazed Spirits and those humans possessed by Mana Swords- dubbed 'Etrangers'- first manifested themselves on the world.

The discovery that Mana Swords had a will of their own that drove them to destructive means was a shocking revelation to the community that had already begun work on Ether production and processing. Because of this, military applications of the magically potent substance remained far and few among human governments- At least until the very first Spirit squadron was formed.

While humans themselves are generally extremely vulnerable to the power of the Mana Swords, it was discovered that Spirits had a far greater mental tolerance- And even when consumed by the sword's will, could be disciplined and controlled like pliable puppets. In light of this discovery and taking advantage of the general resentment built from the populace towards Spirits after the destruction caused by the Mana Swords, several nations rose from the ashes of the old world.

Followed by nearly a decade of constant warfare, the frontlines have now more or less stabilized, but the fighting remains intense in several 'hot areas', caused by the friction between two prominent political blocks.

Excerpt from the Anthem of the Empire of Vanderland, S.R. 26
    "With Steel in hand and as our foundations,
    we weather the Storm and hold our place,
    to protect the Land from enemies far and wide,
    to honor our forefathers, our Swords vanquish all darkness"

One of the last few bastions of the olden age, The Empire of Vanderland is the single largest state on the planet, a multi-cultural, supercontinental nation whose history dates back to the Dawn Age. They lead the block of the Machina faction, which places emphasis on the power of human intelligence and technology above the wonder of Mana Swords and the overwhelming power of Spirits.

Versed with vast natural resources, a disciplined army with a long history of service, and a potent infrastructure hundreds of years in the making, it dominates the battlefield using powerful 'Mana Walkers', humanoid vehicles powered by mana crystals that are capable of going against Spirits with the advantage of numbers. Having stood firm throughout the chaos of the old era, they still extensively make use of the power of steam engines and use Ether technology for only the most cutting edge of projects. They also appear to be testing some process of acquiring energy involving organic fossils, but fruits from such research remains to be seen.

The Empire of Vanderland and its allies are fairly standardized in their military, sticking to the old doctrines that proved true against the fearsome Mana Beasts. Their armies are led by the towering Mana Walkers, with more recent versions powered by Ether Reactors and Mana Swords becoming seen at the vanguard of more elite units. Spirits are rarely used as infantry, instead restricted to special operations and commonly lead by highly trained humans capable of using Mana Swords, also known as 'Etrangers'.

Oath of Eternity, as sworn by the Spirit Soldiers of the United Republics of Nywell, S.R. 441
    "I will fight.
    For my brothers and sisters that live in peace, I will kill.
    I am the blade. I am the just sword that excises evil from this world.
    For all eternity, may my body become the tool that brings light to all."

In opposition to the Empire of Vanderland and leading the Spirita faction, the United Republics of Nywell stand at the helm. Formed by an alliance of several like-minded republics that rebelled against the Empire of Vanderland during its time of troubles, as well as war-worn rivals of the Empire eager to defang them, they have been at war almost since the date of their foundation.

If the Empire of Vanderland remains staunchly conservative, the Republics of Nywell have all but embraced the new age. Ether technology runs far and wide among its homes, rendering them with a satisfied, agreeable populace that actively consume the new technology and do not the question their government very much. Having the advantage of several Ether researchers who defected to them due to Imperial distrust for the Mana Swords, they are the most magically advanced nation in the planet.

In contrast to the Empire of Vanderland, Nywell has altogether dropped the notion of a standing army, seemingly having managed to fill their entire ranks with nothing but indocrinated Spirits, all of them handpicked from a territory scoured and exhaustively searched for any signs of the humanoids. Several dark rumours exist of the way Nywell treats their spirits, but little evidence can be found, especially from a disinterested populace that tends to hold Spirits in either disdain... Or fear.

While they lack the powerful infrastructure of Vanderland, the Republics of Nywell appeared to have made a distressing breakthrough on the department of Ether Walkers, apparently experimenting with the act of synchronizing a Spirit with one of the mana-powered vehicles in a union that would lead to a very powerful, terrifying killing machine...

---

Spirit:
    An all-female subspecies of humans thought to be related to the Mana Swords, who only appeared at the same time as them. Manifesting a new Mana Sword from seemingly nowhere during childhood, these Spirits are doted of powers beyond the common man, and generally tend to be aligned to a certain 'element' depending on where they were born. While an effort to classify these elements has been made, there are too many exotic variants to count- Though the most common appear to be 'Blue', 'Green', and 'Red' spirits. Spirits with no apparent element or which follow a unique theme, such as the 'Seven Deadly Sins', have been seen, and are usually far more powerful than their brethren.
    Etranger: The term given to any non-spirit that has successfully managed to synchronize with a Mana Sword. As far as it has been seen, only a rare few Mana Swords are capable of establishing a spirit-like relation with humans, and these coincide with the rare few Mana Swords capable of coherent thought and speech. Because human minds are far more fragile than those of a spirit, they should be handled with care as mental stress might lead their minds to snap and become murder-obsessed psychopaths.
    Last edited by Erlkonig; April 1st, 2016 at 06:08 PM.
    Arthur-san is my waifu