Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 58910

Thread: Innocent Soul [Quest]

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    It'll totally fall on people, but let's style this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Okay, breaking the tie. Switching to 2.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

November 13th, 2000
    City Park

If I truly am the target, the best thing I can do for everyone is to get away from the others. While Emi should take this time to distance herself from me as well, she does not, and when I run, turning my back to everything, and sprinting away from the stage, away from those eyes that promised nothing less than my blood, splattered across the ground like grotesque art, she remains at my side, pushing me to go faster.

But there's a limit to how far I'm willing to go.

In this moment, I am certainly being enchanted. While I do not understand magic in it's intricacies, it doesn't take a genius to understand that the song I was hearing, the words that set my soul aflame, was something that was letting me push my own limits.

And just looking at that monster had felt like death, the reaper, a force of nature that would break my body as easily as a typhoon destroys buildings. This was the case even with this magic, so...

If I were to leave the park, the range of that magic...

What chance would I have at that point...?

The ground trembles as something lands hard on the ground behind us, rocks shooting out like shrapnel, miraculously past our fleeing bodies, a scream, no, a roar, echoing throughout the clearing as the black-skinned Berserker realigns itself with it's prey.

In response to this, I run faster.

It's not just that I'm worried about myself or Emi now, thinking about it logically, if we are killed here, the token resistance we could put up, already more than what a human could do, would vanish, and the monster would turn on the civilians. If I were running to escape, I would have kept going, would have kept my legs pumping until my lungs had started to scream, and my legs had collapsed beneath me, but instead...

Instead I stop amidst a grove of trees.

"What are you-?! Idiot, it wants you, we need to go-!"

Surprised, Emi's body jerks to a stop as I turn, looking back, at the black monster that I was sure was right on our heels.

"You go-!"

It's the only compromise with myself I can make.

Emi had saved me last time, so this time, I'll be the one that shoulders the calamity. I don't know what kind of freak I actually am, the fire, the magic, roaring across my skin flaring in sight of the black berserker, moving towards me with the speed and strength of a freight train, but...

I only have this weapon, so even if it's foreign to my consciousness, I cannot disregard it.

That power responded to images.

Disregard control, the only thing I need is a barrage.

Countless orbs.

While many things should be able to take shape with this force, I stick with what I know, pinpricks of light that turn into blazing spheres, eight, sixteen, thirty-two-! Forcibly blasting down my own mental limits, it's the equivalent of setting my soul on fire to fuel phenomena, but it doesn't hurt, feels more natural than a lot of other things, as if my soul was something that should have been burning from the start.

In less than a second, I bathe the world in blue and silver, countless lights shooting forth like falling stars.

But...

"▂▂▃▃▄▄▅▅!!!"

Roaring in defiance, the being that had come here to kill Matsumoto Shizuka, refuses to even change it's course of motion, plowing forward through the lights, countless bullets that tore through it's form.

"Wha-"

It doesn't even slow down.

It's not that it didn't take damage.

As a living thing, even a gargantuan one, there are certainly splatters of a black fluid you could call blood, staining the green grass beneath the crimson sky. But it's a being that doesn't care about pain or mortality, built like a tank, like a castle wall, it is something that can disregard even the orbs that punch holes in it's chest and legs, it's hammer placed in front of it as a barrier to it's heart, the living thing bearing the form of a monster, closes a distance of thirty meters to nothing in an instant.

"Tch..."

A body, the body of a certain red-haired friend of mine, sends us careening out of the way of the strike in the heartbeat before it appeared. It was something unnecessary for her to do, I had been prepared from the start to avoid the attack, all I had to do was attempt to dodge the instant my own assault was over, after all, with the speed difference between myself and the giant, there was no way I could ever move too early, but...

Cleanly, thanks to her assistance, the hammer, crashing against the earth, fails to hit out bodies.

However, that is irrelevant.

Even though we were not touched, the impossible strength behind that thing's blows, sends us flying anyway.

Like a hammer of air, my world goes crashing into pieces, my vision flashing red, spinning, as branches buckle beneath our launched bodies, the sounds of punishment, of challenging a monster, and the consequences that come with it, accompany us to a rolling stop, my right leg shattered, and Emi wounded in such a way that she fails to stand after we stop, one arm on the ground, and the other on her chest, a choked sound coming from her lips.

"Vile creature..."

In the distance, Jun's voice echoes powerfully, drawing the attention of the monster to him, as the beast's body catches flame.

Some other sort of magic.

Breathing hurting, shattered ribs choking my lungs, my mind scatters as I try to regain my composure and stand... But...

"Ga...hah..."

I just manage to prop myself up against a nearby tree...

Damn...

It's odd... Even now...

I don't really feel afraid, at least, not to the extent I should be... Really, I'm more annoyed than anything else...

"Hey~ You two look like you're hurting~"

And to make things even worse...

Katana Girl, sitting up on the branches of a nearby tree, calls down to us like her presence is completely natural.

"So... Losing to that guy huh? That's pretty... Weak... For people like you guys."

1.) ...People like us?
    2.) Why don't you try and do better then?
    3.) ...Just let her talk.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

November 13th, 2000
    City Park

"People like us...? The hell is that... Supposed to mean...?"

Vision flickering back and forth between a damaged crimson and a blurred reality, I spit out a surprisingly snappy question as I attempt to stand once again, failing when my broken right leg makes good on it's own damage and collapses.

"It means what it means," winking in a mocking sort of way, the woman laughs out loud to herself even as the battle continues in the distance, "I mean it's obvious right? Neither of you are completely human, if you were, that thing would have killed you in a single shot. You're better than other people! Congratulations! Or well... You're kind of a loser Shizuka, but Emi? Come on, you could trash that guy in a second if you weren't trying to be so damn noble."

Eyes mocking when they were focused on me, the emotions reflected in them change to a subtle anger when she focuses on Emi, who seems to be in an even worse shape than me, body shaking not just from the impact that had thrown us this far, but because, just like last time...

That monster in the sky was draining everyone's life away.

"...Actually, why the hell do you act like you do, Emi-chan? Is it cuz you're ashamed you're a monster...?"

Alarmingly, the heart-wrenching sight of my best friend attempting to silently rise to her feet, just seems to piss the girl off even more.

"..."

"No answer, huh...? Stupid bitch... Fine, if you wanna waste yourself like that, let's see what happens if I make you-!"

Biting down on her own hand, that woman makes a strange remark as she glares at Emi...

"...?!"

Whose eyes immediately widen as if understanding something that I did not.

It happens in an instant.

Moving from her spot up above, tackling Emi to the ground the moment she finally manages to stand on shaking limbs, there's the sound of a heavy impact, and then the sight of flailing limbs, katana girl struggling to hold her down, trying to bring their faces together in a manner that immediately puts a surge of anger, and thus strength, into my limbs-!

1.) Bash her with one of the spirit orbs.
    2.) Punch her.
    3.) ...She left her sword at the base of the tree. Now might be the time to take that away.
    4.) ...I still can't move.
    Last edited by Airen; March 28th, 2017 at 10:58 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

1. Magic weapon is probably more effective, although less dramatic than her fists.

Blog Entries

November 13th, 2000
    City Park, Aoyama

This person is my killer.

Her aura declaring that to everything around her, that she is an existence that could slay even the monster that had descended onto the park if she so chose, the feeling of imminent death, the instinctive understanding that to get too much of this person's attention is the same thing as accepting my death, is intensified by the fact that she has, in fact, killed me once before.

I should be frozen in place.

While my emotions do surge up, and a feeling like fire spreads through my veins, reawakening a weakening body, Matsumoto Shizuka should still cower beneath that oppressive feeling of death, hesitate in spite of how badly the situation is going, because, by her very nature she is not a fighter.

If she does not do that, at least she should collapse because her right leg has been shattered to pieces.

Both of these things are what, perhaps, had happened in a forgotten past, but-

Right here, right now...

I step forward on my broken leg, crossing the distance between me, and the two struggling fighters in a heartbeat. I don't stop to think about the fact that I've never done so much as lift weights in my life, that I was a failure at things like rock climbing, and even moving furniture...

I don't think about it.

I don't have time to think about it.

Seeing my only friend desperately trying to throw someone off of her, an innate fear in her eyes that wasn't there even when she had died in the last repetition, the hand that balls itself into a fist, is one that is completely inexperienced with this sort of fighting.

It won't hurt her.

I realize it even as I throw it out. It's clumsy and awkward, unlike Emi's practiced strikes, and while the speed is surprisingly fast, I can just feel that as a human, I can't damage a "monster" with just my fists.

I should lack that sort of power, yet-

"...!"

Paying attention at only the last instant, the woman that had been ignoring me, trying to do something to the steadily weakening Emi, immediately throws her arm in the way of my fist.

There was nothing outwardly extraordinary about the attack.

Watching her go out of her way to block it actually surprises me, but not as much...

"...oh?"

-As the simple, casual, clumsy strike, rocketing her hard against a nearby tree, the impact sending cracks running right through the center of the ancient wood, the recoil of my own strike shooting straight up my arm without breaking it, my own strike passing through my whole body without explanation.

"...Wh-"

Still as inexperienced as ever, for a moment, I just stare at the result of my own strike.

"Haha... Alright, that wasn't half bad, guess we're doing this now...!"

Only momentarily phased, the woman does what I do not, recovering herself the moment her feet touch the earth again. Eyes flickering from me, still standing there dumbly, to her sword, which she had left nearby...

The woman darts forth as a black blur.

Something I can't trace with my eyes, a vaguely humanoid shape, that was moving towards....

Something-!

1.) Stand your ground. You did this much to protect Emi, keep at it.
    2.) Attack-! (Spirit Orbs)
    3.) Attack-! (Melee)
    4.) She must be going for the sword. Try to get there first-!
    5.) Write in-!

Name: Matsumoto Shizuka
    Class: Spiritually Aware Human

Stats (Base)

Strength: D (15)
    Vitality: D (15)
    Resistance: D (15)
    Agility: D (18)
    Dexterity: D (13)
    Spirit: B (40)

Stats (After Buffs)

Strength: C (25)
    Vitality: C (25)
    Resistance: C (25)
    Agility: C (28)
    Dexterity: C (23)
    Spirit: A (50)

Major Perks

-???-
    Measure of whether or not one possesses aptitude as a ??? Being. A trait that makes Shizuka different from other humans, it seems that the closer she is to "experiencing death" the stronger she is able to become, at least for short periods of time, using her Spirit Score in place of one Physical Score. Enabled her to damage her opponent in spite of her low physical strength, it also seems to enable physical regeneration to some extent.

Because she does not understand what's going on with herself, the strength of this perk has been heavily reduced.

-Yamuna: Yin Yang Orbs-
    Unique type of spiritual power that manifests as a holy (?) 'force' capable of burning away all types of negative phenomena, and is thus "super effective" against youkai of all types. Capable of taking a variety of forms, both physical and ethereal, it seems Shizuka manifests them as orbs from the Shinto Religion, perhaps because of the anti-spirit connotations. Because the orbs are made of her own spirit power, they can be controlled telekinetically, although Shizuka often uses her body to "point," or "gesture," to where they should go.

Maintaining a defensive style from "somewhere," in her "past," it seems Shizuka is capable of protecting her body from pin-point assaults with them in spite of her usually poor dexterity.

Because of it's awakening, physical abilities have been slightly enhanced.

Further details unknown.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar