Page 161 of 277 FirstFirst ... 61111151156159160161162163166171211261 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,220 of 5528

Thread: RP Discussion and Ideas thread

Blog Entries
    So what I'm getting here is that some people like thing, while other people like other thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Most pre-made perk lists allow for custom creation of perks, as long as the GM approves it (e.g Regalia and what not).
    Exactly.

It's actually pretty cool and all, but more often than not the custom perk ends up being either stronger in several regards in comparison to pre-made perks (be it cost, effects or some other detail) or completely useless (be it because of a high cost that turns you down from the idea or something else). Freedom will always beat premade, and if you mix both, it's clear who has the advantage. I am not saying everyone will custom make, but those who do, they might be able to slip under the radar with something really, perhaps unfairly, good.

Besides, most of the premade systems have costs. Say you start with 100 AP and you can buy three perks with that AP tops (Regalia System). If I go and make something custom or take one of those perks with a cost and effect to be defined (like origin, sorcery trait), I am making the GM review it and issue it a cost. Usually, this cost is handed shortly after showing the ability to the GM and before the final profile is submitted. Then you can say it's often handed 'in a rush' and without considering the long list of other perks that exist. If the cost happens to not be the right one, it can lead to disparity, butthurt or god forbid, making you edit your own profile after being approved.

I can totally be done right but, eh, I say save yourself the trouble.

The difference between custom made and pre-mades allowing custom? Easy, with customs you don't have to handle prices (assuming you did since most do) and there is no need to balance customs with premades. If customs are better than premades, you are punishing those who bought something that could suit the character as opposed to writing something out theselves. If customs are better than other customs, the issue isn't that big. It might seem like monitoring custom and free form is harder, but sometimes it's actually the opposite. At least that's what I think.
    [18:30] RacingeR: Max S.Link with hero is when you promise your daughter to him
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)
    [18:32] hero: oh shit
    [18:32] hero: spincess get
    [18:32] hero: suck it fuckers

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong Walmart View Post
    So what I'm getting here is that some people like thing, while other people like other thing.
    if one side prefers x and one side y, and side x means 500 times the effort for you...
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hero View Post
    If you are going with pre-mades, you have to:

1) Make damn sure your premades are balanced. Or at least if you are giving them costs, make sure the cost properly reflects all of its uses.
    2) Forbid custom perks, because why take your shitty premade when I can take two of them in a single custom for a lesser cost and get away with it (because it happens)
    For #2, you're not supposed to let them come up with the actual mechanics of it.

You just let the player describe the flavor of it, then if it doesn't sound ridiculous you stat it up with the balance of the overall system in mind and let them have it.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Also yeah, from experience making a perk list as a GM takes a lot of time, and you can generally expect most players to pick, out of a list of say 25 perks, 6 or 7 with great frequency, another 5 with less frequency, and the rest will never be picked by anyone.

Nevermind that, as another balance hang up, in a game with various factions and templates, perks have a tendency to make a certain faction much stronger than others, though it is something I've seen happen with less frequency than other aforementioned stuff.
    Last edited by RacingeR; January 1st, 2015 at 06:02 PM.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    By perks, you guys are talking about the list of character abilities you pick during character creation right.

Why is everyone talking about balance problems on the GM created side then. It's going to be even worse if players are submitting whatever they came up with to try and edge out some bullshit past the GM.

- - - Updated - - -

But both of them would be under GM review so it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    By perks, you guys are talking about the list of character abilities you pick during character creation right.

Why is everyone talking about balance problems on the GM created side then. It's going to be even worse if players are submitting whatever they came up with to try and edge out some bullshit past the GM.

- - - Updated - - -

But both of them would be under GM review so it shouldn't be an issue anyway.
    I'm gonna invite you to read my posts more closely, as I've expressed the difference there.

quotes
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I read it. I just didn't see what it had to do with what I was saying.

You're just talking about the possibility of perks in general having some balance problems. But what would the alternative to having perks be?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, you also mention how most players will only pick a small number from the list of perks. But that's fine. For me I actually see a wider spread, but it depends on how different you make the perk offering.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hero View Post
    Exactly.

It's actually pretty cool and all, but more often than not the custom perk ends up being either stronger in several regards in comparison to pre-made perks (be it cost, effects or some other detail) or completely useless (be it because of a high cost that turns you down from the idea or something else). Freedom will always beat premade, and if you mix both, it's clear who has the advantage. I am not saying everyone will custom make, but those who do, they might be able to slip under the radar with something really, perhaps unfairly, good.

Besides, most of the premade systems have costs. Say you start with 100 AP and you can buy three perks with that AP tops (Regalia System). If I go and make something custom or take one of those perks with a cost and effect to be defined (like origin, sorcery trait), I am making the GM review it and issue it a cost. Usually, this cost is handed shortly after showing the ability to the GM and before the final profile is submitted. Then you can say it's often handed 'in a rush' and without considering the long list of other perks that exist. If the cost happens to not be the right one, it can lead to disparity, butthurt or god forbid, making you edit your own profile after being approved.
    Honestly, this is my own perspective at running this sort of RP, but... this is not an issue. People are spectacularly bad at actually making these "OP" custom perks that you are talking about. In actuality, a lot of people seriously downsell their "custom" perks in the fear that it will not get approved. And even so, the "power difference" in these sorts of "multiple perk systems" rarely comes from a huge power difference between X perk and Y perk (taking cost into account), but rather synergy between the perks themselves (which is not an issue of premade or custom really, but rather the amount of perks) and with the other abilities that you have.

The difference between custom made and pre-mades allowing custom? Easy, with customs you don't have to handle prices (assuming you did since most do) and there is no need to balance customs with premades. If customs are better than premades, you are punishing those who bought something that could suit the character as opposed to writing something out theselves. If customs are better than other customs, the issue isn't that big. It might seem like monitoring custom and free form is harder, but sometimes it's actually the opposite. At least that's what I think.
    This is weird to me. It is mainly an issue between different character powerlevels (something which you as a GM should minimize anyway). Having a powergap between two custom perk owners is not an inherently a more acceptable proposition to me then a powergap between a premade and a custom perk is.

All in all, I feel that custom perks are often quite samey, shallow and follow along very standard lines for most PCs. If anything, I would say that lack of PC diversity is the issue that plagues purely custom-perk driven RPs.

Also yeah, from experience making a perk list as a GM takes a lot of time, and you can generally expect most players to pick, out of a list of say 25 perks, 6 or 7 with great frequency, another 5 with less frequency, and the rest will never be picked by anyone.
    This is nonsense. In Toaru, I made around 60 perks, all in all. Simply from reading the sheets of the first 5 characters I have in my hand, I see approximately 19 unique perks used (and the overlap is pretty much only in factional stuff), including about 3-4 custom perks. "Everyone picking the same perks" is not really an issue.

Likewise in Regalia. I know about 3-4 PC sheets. A small sample size, unfortunately, but "everyone has the same perks" is not really a complaint I would rise against that either.
    Last edited by Mellon; January 1st, 2015 at 06:33 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    The more I think about alignments in D&D and other games the less it makes sense.

For instance, Lawful Good. It's when you're following some type of code: it could be external, like laws, or internal, like an ideal.

But then what about Neutral Good. You're good, so obviously you have to be following some standard or code. So how is it different than Lawful?

The Lawful/Chaos part is usually interpreted as being more than just literally "i follow laws" and "lol no i dont" but then none of them make sense if you go beyond that.

Or someone like Kiritsugu or Batman. You'd think they're Chaotic Good since they shirk the expectations of society to do what they think is right, but they also follow a code. So they'd be Lawful Good too? Argh.

Blog Entries
    Nobody really knows how those work, they just pretend they do.

Just look at Nasu.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    The more I think about alignments in D&D and other games the less it makes sense.
    say it isn't so
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong Walmart View Post
    say it isn't so
    Every now and then I think I've hammered out a solid meaning out of them, but it disappears like a mirage before I can finish.

Blog Entries
    Write it down as you go. Then submit it to us for review.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Use people on BL as examples.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Use people on BL as examples.
    They're all chaotic evil

quotes

Blog Entries

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ill take it

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    True Meme made me laugh.

We should arrange everybody by alignment. If we have enough material to go on.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Sugoi na