Thread: Apotheosis: Shadows of a Bright Republic

Apotheosis: Shadows of a Bright Republic

Apotheosis: Shadows of a Bright Republic
    A Sandbox Game of Divine Heroes

The Bright Republic.

For a thousand years it has stood as the sole beacon of progress in dark times. The Earth is shattered, its fragments cast from the Universe and into primordial chaos: the Uncreated Night. In our fragment, Arcem, the laws of physics have decayed: advanced technology no longer functions as it should. Chaos and barbarism reign on the mainland: from the unwashed horsemen of the Howling Plains to the daemon-infested lands of once-great Ancalia. Entire nations, if the tyrannies of Patria and Dulimbai can even be called as such, devoted entirely to raiding their neighbors just for the next shipment of slaves and plunder.

And in these dark times, the Republic stands. With our glorious Etheric Nodes, as the sole possessors of advanced technology, we alone remain of the Old Republic. We alone can bring civilization back to our shattered, beautiful Earth!

If only that were true.

The Republic is a decaying, decadent husk. Its people are soft, having never known conflict. Its politicians, its Senate, are little more than corporate mouthpieces.

Don’t listen to their lies; the Republic is dying.

And once its light fades, all that will remain is the Night.

Why did I make this? I really want to scratch a very specific itch, and that itch happens to be high-flying shounen adventures in a sort of modern, sort of cyberpunk setting. The main focus of the game will be how your player characters, a group of newly minted demigod heroes, navigate a nation where they are both supremely powerful yet far from invincible. It will largely be a sandbox game, with the pantheon of player characters deciding what they wish to do, and I, the GM, playing the world as it reacts to their actions. That is not to say there won't be a "story." From bloated government bureaus to malicious mafia gangs, your heroes will have no shortage of enemies to contend with and problems to solve!

Which brings us to the city of Pinnacle. Similar to Nagasaki in that it is both the Bright Republic's biggest port city and the only place in the Republic where foreigners are allowed to moor their vessels. This, of course, makes it a total hotbed of intrigue, culture clash, and commerce: in other words, the perfect place for player characters!

Or your heroes could fuck off entirely. Most of the Republic's land is devoted to farms and ranches to support its urban population, so if you wanted that cottagecore experience I'm sure you could find a suitably small town. Or you could decide to leave the Republic altogether (a far easier feat than the hassle of RETURNING) and set out to one of the many mainland locales of Arcem. I'm fine with whatever, but do note that the depth of the city/town you're in is directly proportional to how long your characters spend in it.

I'll be using the Godbound system for this game, along with a few of my houserules. Though it isn't perfect, I absolutely adore what the system sets out to accomplish. A link to the free version of the game on DriveThruRPG is in the word document linked at the bottom of this post (It's far from some free "lite" version of the game: it's basically everything a player could need for the game; the only omitted portions are tools for GMs). I'll be accepting up to five player characters for this game. Do note that while you don't have to play a goody-two-shoes, I will NOT accept any characters that wouldn't be on the "good" end of an alignment chart.

The format of the game will be, of course, forum pbp. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me in discord or on this site.

The deadline for submissions is July 5th.

Welcome to the Shattered Earth. Welcome to the Bright Republic!

Word Document Link (Read it!! Important setting and chargen info inside!)

Last edited by Eru Erufu; June 18th, 2023 at 12:31 AM.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    It's time.

US Friend Code
    Waiting for the player announcement like

OK! Time to announce who got in. Since we had so many good submissions, half of these were selected by me and half of them were selected via lottery. If you didn't get in, hold on to your character! I might open the game up to more players in the future if I feel I can handle it, and if anyone drops out I'll be considering the people who submitted here before anyone else as replacements.

Anyways, accepted players are:

• Bloble (La Volcána)
    • Neko (El Asalariado)
    • Plue (La Genia Autista)
    • Morm (La Vash de la MaoMao)
    • Blade of Eden (Juan de Arco)
    • Ely (La Chica de Edgy)

You guys can do the time honored Beast Lair tradition of TURBO HAM one liners while I figure out how I want to introduce everyone to each other. Expect the first post sometime tonight or tomorrow.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    "It's all because of us, y'know? Not, like, you and me specifically. Humanity as a whole. We all owe a debt to the One. Pay Him back for what happened back then, yeah? Once we're all even again, He will- oh, sorry, I was getting preachy again! We have business to take care of, yeah?

Spoiler:

I'm Gabrielle Monet, and, about that debt I mentioned? I'm here to collect.
    <Satehi> thank you based admin of justice, he/she who doth bring forward the true gospel

US Friend Code
    “…Hm? Is something wrong? …I see, I see. I’m sorry that happened to you, but I’m sure that with a little help, you’ll be able to pull through! Don’t worry! I believe in you!”

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    VOLCANIA

"This is your so-called 'civilization'? A buncha walls and roofs?

Boring. Stuffy. Bitch shit.

Don't get in my way - I'm knocking this fucker down."

"There you are, good as newborn baby! Don't stress yourself too much worrying about payment, we can work something out. Though, for now, could you do me a favor?"

"Have you heard of a man who smells like poppies and battlefields?"

"Isn't it weird that you don't don't buy left and right socks? But when you wear them, you have left and right socks."
    Collection of cherished moments
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    I'LL KILL YOU PLUE
    <Zagrin> I'll kill ya Plue

Paul Copperbell

"Let me guess. You want to change the country and do some good too? Well guess what--- Hang on. *click* Copperbell speaking. Yes Sir, the business deal is moving along smoothly. Yes Sir, they have accepted the terms and are finalizing the paperwork. Yes Sir, I will get the signatures on your desk by tomorrow. Have a good evening, Sir. *click*

Like I was saying, kid. It ain't gonna work out so quit while you're ahead.

Spoiler: