Page 264 of 277 FirstFirst ... 164214254259262263264265266269274 ... LastLast
Results 5,261 to 5,280 of 5528

Thread: RP Discussion and Ideas thread

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    You can do whatever. You can justify it later. I guarantee you it won't be the stupidest thing anyone has done before.

Starting a game in a Lostbelt rather than an especially dumb timeline is more of a modern excuse. The basic premise being good or bad will likely make it or break it.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I went with one of the Apocrypha side wars while Daneel went for the lostbelt
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Keeping it alive.
    When work is less crazy progress will pick up and updates will start to get bigger again.

If I wanted to start a quest within a LostBelt, and the PC was a Servant summoned by Chaldea, what kind of situation would the PC likely find themselves in initially?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I recommend reading what you can about Anastasia and Gotterdammerung to determine as such, though their usual insecurity may differ upon their rendezvous with the Wandering Sea.

- - - Updated - - -

Also it's worth noting that a Servant summoned by/for Chaldea isn't present from the start since Team Chaldea no longer has a steady base or method of sustaining Servants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

So, after discussing this with someone on another forum, I'm thinking of having my quest carve out a whole new story instead of just following FGO's original plot. Thing is, I'm not exactly sure what story I want to tell. Would doing something like escaping the apocalypse a-la Noah's Ark story work for an interesting quest, but that makes me feel it kind of defeats the themes and purpose of FGO's original premise. Would anyone like to give me their ideas of a new story featuring the FGO setting?

Hey guys. So, out of curiosity, what systems do you guys use for battles in your quests? Like, what do you roll dice for, what do you not roll for, what gets buffed by what, and so on.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Do people even use systems for fights in Quests? Isn't it all just narration?
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Do people even use systems for fights in Quests? Isn't it all just narration?
    Well, to the first question, yeah, people do use mechanics at least. If every fight was implicitly a guaranteed win no matter how badly you screw up, there's not really much of a sense of risk v. reward in the battle. As for it all just being narration, I'm not sure since I haven't even got a quest to my name yet, but I have participated in a quest where victory wasn't a guarantee, and defeat was a very real and possible thing that would bring the quest to an end if players screwed up badly enough.

Well, if anyone is willing to migrate over to SpaceBattles, I've started my quest.

Fate/Unite

A tale of Unity, Duty, Destiny, and saving Humanity.

Right, the threads for RPs, Fics and such is more active there anyways.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not quite sure where to put this, but having never participated in an RP before I have some questions about how combat is handled. More specifically, how much is it acceptable to narrate your opponent's actions during a battle scene? I understand it's a major no-no to narrate another player getting killed or majorly wounded, but how strictly is only writing your own character's actions enforced?

For instance, would "my character threw a punch, your character dodged out of the way and countered with a side kick, which my character blocked" be acceptable, or should I only narrate my own character throwing a punch and leave the response (block, evade, get hit) to the other player? (Which might result in a lot of incredibly short posts in battle scenes where a lot of actions can be exchanged near-simultaneously).

And if the former is acceptable, what would happen if I unknowingly portrayed the other character as doing something OOC, like blocking an attack when they hate being touched? (Like Schreiber from Dies Irae).

Just a lot of stuff I'm really not sure about, and since (if all goes well) I'll be participating in an RP soon I'd like to get some of this cleared up.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Nothing wrong with wanting to get things right Royd.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Not quite sure where to put this, but having never participated in an RP before I have some questions about how combat is handled. More specifically, how much is it acceptable to narrate your opponent's actions during a battle scene? I understand it's a major no-no to narrate another player getting killed or majorly wounded, but how strictly is only writing your own character's actions enforced?

For instance, would "my character threw a punch, your character dodged out of the way and countered with a side kick, which my character blocked" be acceptable, or should I only narrate my own character throwing a punch and leave the response (block, evade, get hit) to the other player? (Which might result in a lot of incredibly short posts in battle scenes where a lot of actions can be exchanged near-simultaneously).

And if the former is acceptable, what would happen if I unknowingly portrayed the other character as doing something OOC, like blocking an attack when they hate being touched? (Like Schreiber from Dies Irae).

Just a lot of stuff I'm really not sure about, and since (if all goes well) I'll be participating in an RP soon I'd like to get some of this cleared up.
    From past experience, I treat it like D&D - state what you wish to attempt and and narrating said attempts - not if you actually achieve. It's then usually up to the GM if you succeed or not against an NPC and that'd narrate the result.

PvE for example:

-Player 1:Here's me attempting this
    -GM: This is what happened

With PvP, from what i've seen (not done myself) is that Player 1 initiates the attack, the GM calculates if the attack was successful and if so to what degree before telling player 2 the result via PM who'd then do the same with the reply

-Player 1: I leap in the air and attempt to drop kick player 2
    -GM: Does the calculation and sends result to player 2
    -Player 2: Here's me blocking/dodging/getting hit as a result.

(This is my own experience and what I've seen of others. If more experienced people want to correct me then by all means please do.)

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    Nothing wrong with wanting to get things right Royd.

From past experience, I treat it like D&D - state what you wish to attempt and and narrating said attempts - not if you actually achieve. It's then usually up to the GM if you succeed or not against an NPC and that'd narrate the result.

PvE for example:

-Player 1:Here's me attempting this
    -GM: This is what happened

With PvP, from what i've seen (not done myself) is that Player 1 initiates the attack, the GM calculates if the attack was successful and if so to what degree before telling player 2 the result via PM who'd then do the same with the reply

-Player 1: I leap in the air and attempt to drop kick player 2
    -GM: Does the calculation and sends result to player 2
    -Player 2: Here's me blocking/dodging/getting hit as a result.

(This is my own experience and what I've seen of others. If more experienced people want to correct me then by all means please do.)
    That does seem like the most natural way of resolving the issue. Though, wouldn't that result in a lot of really short posts at the level of "I throw a punch" or "I block a punch"? It just seems to me that narrating a good fight-scene demands a certain amount of fluid back-and-forth that's hard to achieve if every single action needs to be narrated separately. In any case, thanks for the help Hermes.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    That does seem like the most natural way of resolving the issue. Though, wouldn't that result in a lot of really short posts at the level of "I throw a punch" or "I block a punch"? It just seems to me that narrating a good fight-scene demands a certain amount of fluid back-and-forth that's hard to achieve if every single action needs to be narrated separately. In any case, thanks for the help Hermes.
    Yes that is a large and very common problem.
    The first solution is to add context to the actions. Go into the character, why are they throwing his punch, how are they throwing this punch, where are they aiming the punch, what sort of things are around them, what's the reasoning behind this punch, why should this punch be successful, speculate on what the other character is thinking in your character's point of view, put on a show. How I like to see it is each action you're performing is like an argument and the way to get the action to succeed is to add evidence behind that argument. The worst type of post is "I punch with my A rank STR." Those are a lot more common than you think.
    Second, like you said having it action by action makes the flow very choppy. So then you narrate what you are going to do next if the first action succeeds. The number of actions you are allowed to put in a post is going to depend on your GM and naturally the second person should be able to react to those actions and then queue fresh actions. But how much is too much and how few is too few is a standard your GM should set. And it should be pretty clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    [Establishing a connection...]

Oh no, it appears that some kind of mysterious rping entity is trying to communicate with us.
    <Airen> I play hetero every once in awhile
    Spoiler:
    <~Katie> dude who gives a fuck about girls being gay, sometimes girls aren't gay and that decision should be respected

Spoiler:
    [12:21.40] that might be a top tier post[12:21.45] frantic[12:21.47] post of the month, even[12:21.48] this right here[12:21.49] is MC [12:21.56] johnny has nothing on this dude[12:22.00] he's the MC of the nisio half[12:22.12] so wait[12:22.15] [ ] is, after all, my rival character[12:22.16] am i the gag heroine[12:22.20] yes

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    My god……there are going to be enigmas. And conundrums! And…And… wait, a threesome with cheerleaders? I feel like that may not belong on this list.
    Last edited by Draconic; December 6th, 2018 at 12:11 AM.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Differently colored texts!

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    [5% - Stabilizing temporal fluctuations, erasing infinity loops...]

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    5%? Maan... is this cosmic simulation running on a potato?