47 51.09%
  • No, I dislike Shinji

26 28.26%
  • I neither like nor dislike Shinji

19 20.65%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 58910

Thread: Do you like Shinji? Episode II

Banned
    Joking aside I really do like a lot of things Gen's done but there's a huge asterisk next to each of those

like Kikokugai is fucking awesome but I can never actually recommend it to anyone, because if you think SAYA is bad holy SHIT

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's okay that Urobuchi is an edgy pervert because he redeemed himself when he RPed as Shinji for April Fools last year.

BAM we're on topic

Banned
    To be fair, I think he's gotten less edgy!

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    I don't get how that means it's badly written though. It's relatable. Most people would be like Shinji in his situation.

Not particularly. Being angry is one thing, doing something wrong in the heat of the moment is understandable, but Shinji's not stupid. As you said, people can convince themselves the what they are doing is the right thing, and they are justified even if it rolls against their conscience saying it's wrong. It's kind of why I raise my eyebrows about Kirei's character, we are told he has a conscience, but that it rails against his desire to be malevolent, but we hardly if ever, see that inner conflict working.

He isn't ignorant anymore of what it actually means to be the Matou "heir", he now has the knowledge that both Sakura and Kariya had, where they both rejected it, but he still pursues it, still desires it. Sure it's realistic to delude yourself into a desired personal reality, but it's also fair to say it's also realistic to say that it was not a healthy thing, and that he unreasonably hurt both Shirou and Sakura. At some point, he stomped over their goodwill of his own volition and continued to do so.

Like that bad end in the school in the Fate route, where Shirou is beaten and dies by Rider suckling his blood, Rider actually suggests Shinji take Shirou to a hospital now that he is pretty much defeated and he just decides to kill him.

It's like if he was Accelerator, and after Touma made him realize the cloned Misakas were human beings, he still killed them without a thought.

I mean, we are led to believe that in that post UBW-True ending we get, he realizes that magic isn't worth it and changes, but it's told through other people, Sakura makes the effort, but we don't see anything from him, just implications in materials and s
    asides from Nasu that he admires something in Shiro and may be grateful that Rin saved him, but nothing from him personally.
    Even with the UBW anime, we see him being tsundere about being fed apples in a hospital bed, but no real dialogue to go with it. I take Nasu at his word, but I always thought, "did he really change, or did he just become apathetic toward magecraft"?

All this to say is that implying Shinji being the "relateable" character is something odd to say. He has weird circumstances like all the other characters do. His flaws are keyed to his way of coping with his surroundings, as with all the other characters. Sakura adapted a fatalistic, stoic mindset to endure the experiments, but has both a kind and bitter side to her. Rin was raised as a magus so has a harshly cold front, but is someone who rails against that conformity all the same. Shiro mentally seems like a machine to cope with the trauma he went through, but has a zeal, a passion, a machine wouldn't have.

Their circumstances you might not empathize with, but there is something relatable in everyone.
    Last edited by Altima of the Gates; April 7th, 2016 at 07:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    I mean, we are led to believe that in that post UBW-True ending we get, he realizes that magic isn't worth it and changes, but it's told through other people, Sakura makes the effort, but we don't see anything from him, just implications in materials and s
    asides from Nasu that he admires something in Shiro and may be grateful that Rin saved him, but nothing from him personally.
    Hollow

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    You mean Gen Urobuchi, noted feminist writer? Yeah he's pretty swell unlike that pervert Nasu. What's Saya no Uta, never heard of her.
    Don't have to go that far, "Zero" is already pretty bad in that regard.

Can't really find much to like about him, but I don't exactly dislike him either. I suppose he has decent comedic value though (especially in F/HA).

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    disgusting thread tbh

Blog Entries
    good thread...

- - - Updated - - -

Do You Like Do You Like Shinji? Episode II Episode II

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    no

also u suck

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    petri give us your unironic opinion on shinji

or is this a sakura fan speaking
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    [ ] Sakura fan
    [ ] unironic

Pick one...?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    petri give us your unironic opinion on shinji

or is this a sakura fan speaking
    in fsn hes a flat boring character with practically no substance

everywhere else he is a slightly amusing gag character with practically no substance

thus

bad

(im not really a sakura fan)

Blog Entries
    [x] Sakura fan
    [ ] unironic

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    [x] Sakura fan
    [ ] unironic

Surpass her level, if you dare. hayate's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Related stuff.
    Thanks for the clarification. I suspected it to be in the Makiri's genes, but then it's swayed by my belief that it's an external factor.

TM wiki gave me the wrong info at that time then.

Also...

Still undecided on liking Shinji or not.

I mean, sure, he had a glimpse inside of Gate of Babylon. But after remembering HF's scenes and how he basically became a jerk, then I can only say he is beyond saving the moment he chose that path.

He could have gone out just like Kariya.
    Not dealing with it...

Why even try?

This is golden...
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    Lol Ishtarin went full Aqua
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I've seen people in this forum spend the GDP of a third world country into Grand Order
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    Yeah, there's a saying that you should strive for perfection knowing full well you won't achieve it. Saber looked at it and said "Hold my Beer"
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    And then all her friends resented her for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hayate View Post
    He could have gone out just like Kariya.
    Fall into a pit of worms?

Ironically I think I would actually like Shinji if he was the main character of f/sn.

I mean I would still think he's a terrible person and all but I would find him to be a breath of fresh air compared to the typical anime protagonist.

JP Friend Code
    If I summon servant Shinji, would he have the legendary Shinji-Tank as his NP?

The Fallen Child Chara Dreemurr's Avatar
    I don't really think too much about it. He was kind of an ass but for me the guy was really forgettable. I suposse that Kotomine and Gilgamesh were simply too good to left another villain take the spotlight. Anyway. I suposse i dislike him.

"HP. ATK. DEF. GOLD. EXP. LV. Everytime a number increases, that feeling. Thats me"