Thread: What Is Sacrosanct [Kara no Kyoukai] [lemon]

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries

What Is Sacrosanct [Kara no Kyoukai] [lemon]

“Diligence begins in the morning. After you wake and see to your hygiene, put your neighbors in order as well. Deliver the proper greeting to your dormitory mother before taking your breakfast. What’s that about Sundays? Oh, of course. On Sundays, you may feel free to wake an hour early to attend morning Mass.”

-Riesbyfe Stridberg, Mother Superior

Azaka wriggled out of her warm cocoon. The hands of the clock put her at fifteen minutes to six. Other students relished the chance to sleep in for even a second more, but she shrugged off her blankets and marched to the bathroom. She popped her toothbrush out of its case and into her mouth, dousing the morning staleness in sharp mint. Spit, rinse, and done. Dampened by sweat, a wrinkled chemise clung to her sides. It sailed onto a hook on the door alongside her underwear. And then into the shower.

The Reien Academy taps ran two ways: lukewarm and freezing. Austerity demanded that everybody cope. Most did. That is, the stupid ones. Every last student was born to comfort, specifically in the form of the heated bath. The early-risers worked together to heat water in kettles, one boiling while the other bathed. One girl smuggled in a compact boiler and leased it out to her building. That boiler, now quite charred, had taken the blame for the recent dorm fire. A convenient scapegoat, though it deterred nobody from trying again.

Before turning on the tap, Azaka pulled on a leathery brown glove. The water gushed through the pipes and the first icy droplets began their descent. Azaka held up her hand.

“Pianissimo.” A snap of the fingers.

The water around her flashed into steam. A wrinkle in her brow, a slow breath, and she reapplied the Magecraft. The result: a perfect sprinkle of hot water. With a sigh of satisfaction, she began to rinse.

It was a cheap use of magic, but she didn’t have a reason to skimp on comfort.

A quick dab of conditioner on the ends of her hair, and then a rinse. The heavy strands were plastered against her back. She let them sit a moment while the warm water poured down. She sucked in the humid air, and rinsed. scalp, massaging the roots of her hair. A small squirt of shampoo worked into a rich lather with a rich strawberry scent. Then, a rinse.

With her eyes closed, a little imagination could go a long way. The touch of a man’s hands, trailing down her back. The cascade of hot water that enwrapped her just might have been his body, clinging to her in a singular expression of the most illicit passion. Everything was warmer, all of a sudden. She was feeling a familiar heat between her legs; even the steam in the stall was thicker. Water that was comfortable now bordered on scalding.

She caught herself before her fingers could reach. The heat of the moment was smothered by shame for her lack of self-control. Forced back to calm efficiency, she continued the shower. In the long term, her goal was the same, but it would be undignified to carelessly enjoy her dreams. Quietly, unobtrusively, she would continue to play a proper role, until her facade could pass for the real thing. She grabbed a bottle of gel soap and scrubbed it into a lather. Though her fancies were impure, nothing stopped her from enjoying a good wash. Just as she started her final rinse, a knock came from the door.

“Azaka, are you finished in there?”

She paused. It couldn’t have been more than ten minutes since she entered, and what was Fujino doing awake so early anyway? She’d normally have to be pulled out of bed to get up before seven. Unless the was clock wrong?

“What time is it?” she asked.

“Er, it’s five fifty six, but, that’s not it. The dorm mother is asking for you.” So very imperative.

The towel made a few hasty passes until most of her skin was dry. She grabbed her uniform, set out the previous night and tugged it on, one piece after another.

A final check in the mirror, and she was off. Maybe her hair was a little damp, and maybe her underclothes weren’t in perfect order, but it would do. She’d gotten very good at making things happen in a hurry. Image was everything, after all. Sometimes, when things of a delicate nature occupied her interest, things that started with a little touch and a bit of wild imagination, she could speed through the remainder of her morning routine like a flustered and breathless tornado. Some things did end up out of order but it was only the one time, and nobody had noticed that her brassiere was on backward anyway.

Azaka left, exiting the bathroom with a whoosh of humid air. Fujino blinked away the afterimage. She stifled a yawn and trundled into the bathroom. All in all, it was quite convenient for her. The bathwater was still hot.

-

At the dorm mother’s office, Azaka knocked twice and then waited at attention. After a moment, the wizened old lady opened the door. The slow creak might have been the hinges, but it could have just as easily have been the ancient nun’s elbows.

“Yeees?” she asked, barely moving her lips. “Ah, miss Azaka.”

Not a-za-ka, but instead, uh-ZAH-ka. The nun was from Ireland, and had spent her many years in many places. Now she considered herself above pedestrian things like pronunciation. Her tendency to fall asleep with her eyes open had caused some problems, including one mishap with the housing records that had landed no fewer than fifteen freshman students into the same room. But the students had worked around this in a few weeks, and divided the paperwork amongst themselves. The old lady was a decorative object, like the potted plants or the cheap reproductions of religious art.

“Yes, Mother Alcott. I came at once when I heard you wanted to see me.”

“Hmm, yes, I believe the Mother Superior requested I send you over last night. I meant to tell you after dinner, but I must have drifted off...Well, it’s no matter, I’m sure. Just make your way over to her office now. Ah, since you’re here, perhaps you could also deliver these documents? I know she’s wanted them for some time.” Hefting a stack of manilla folders, she pushed them into her hands.

Though her smile was wearing paper thin, Azaka managed to force out some words. “Of course, Mother Alcott. I’d be happy to assist you in any way.”

“Good, good, I’m so sorry that you’ll have to miss Mass this morning, but if circumstances permit, perhaps you can accompany me there in the evening? Run along now.” She finished with a beatific smile.

The door clicked shut, and she bore her cross all the way to the administrative offices.

-

A Gothic mausoleum. Above everything else, a giant violin case, and a small vase of flowers atop a massive desk. Riesbyfe Stridberg, the head honcho, with rumored connections all the way up to the archdiocese, was currently seated with her fingers steepled in front of her face.

“I believe I asked for you last night.”

“Yes, ma’am. I was not informed until this morning.”

“Are those for me?” the woman asked. Her silvery-gray hair bobbed as she gestured to the heap of papers.

Azaka nodded.

“Well, I’m sure that someone worked very hard to prepare them. Just pop them in that little chute, will you?”

She complied immediately, and the papers slid down the stainless steel trough. A blast of heat issued out, accompanying the distant roar of a gas furnace.

Azaka stumbled back and gestured dumbly toward the incinerator.

Riesbyfe shook her head and clicked her tongue. “Didn’t you understand? No matter, I have an urgent request for you, if you would like to hear it.”

“What was that? You just burn all the paperwork or something? Is that why the dorms are such a mess?”

“Not at all, not at all. In fact, those documents were completely useless. We use a digital system to store important records.”

“Then—then why?”

“As I said, someone worked very hard to prepare them, and you worked hard to bring them here. Is it not written that hard work is its own reward?”

“I know you’re very fond of the Proverbs, Mother Riesbyfe, but respectfully, what was the point?”

Now, the nun cracked a smile. “Builds character?” She spoke slowly, serenely, as though her words were anything but flippant. “Shall we get to business then?”

Azaka slumped into a chair. “Please.”

“Yesterday, an extremely important visitor from Europe landed in Narita. This person then took a bus, and was due to arrive here this morning. Ordinarily, a member of the staff would have received her, but she requested a person of her own age. There was a lottery.”

“And I was selected?”

“No. That was Shizune Seo, but her father came to collect her just last evening. I was considering who should be trusted with this role, and it happened that your instructor came to my mind. I hope you are up to it?”

“I’m honored that you would leave this task to me, but I don’t know what to do in a case like this.”

“Just do whatever it is that youngsters do these days. The agenda is set for you, so please try to make the guest feel welcome. Consider it a free vacation. Anyway, since you’ve accepted, go get yourself packed. You’ll be looking for a blonde woman at the bus stop so I don’t imagine it’ll be hard to find her.”

This was inevitable. Before such a high authority. and for such a petty thing, her protests wilted and made way for the ancient Japanese staple crop of submission. A short leave from school hardly consoled her for the sudden disruption in her schedule. “I’ll go get ready, but when should I leave, and when is this person arriving?”

Mother Stridberg took a quick look at the clock. “By my mark, she arrived six hours ago. So you’ll be leaving now.”

-

The limousine had rolled away immediately after she disembarked. Every stage of the journey had been pleasant thus far, and this was sure to be no different. Frigid air swirled through the bus stop. Chased with snow, the bare branches of the trees around the road gleamed brilliantly in the false illumination of the road lamps. The snowfall was gentle enough that she needed no hat. Nobody waited for her, but that was just for the better. Beauty was best enjoyed where it came unexpected, like this chance to sit quietly in a simple shelter and observe, absorb, and appreciate a short view of the most basic elemental forces at work.

She remembered winters in France, ancient winters that had been both harsh and unending. Winters where the harvest had been exhausted, and even draft animals were slaughtered for food. Winters that consumed every scrap of land in sight. Winters that the family spent huddled together around the hearth, listening to their father’s stories as a handful of logs smouldered throughout the day. And what stories they were! More than dragons and kings, she enjoyed the tales of war, spread to their village by word of mouth. Her father, unshaven and exhausted, sometimes spoke softly of the rout of the French cavalry, but made no comment on the misfortunes that spread afterward. Of those, he did not wish to speak before his children. But like the whispering crackle of the fire, his words belied a thousand prayers never given voice. Her father noticed the intensity of her expression, but perhaps he assumed it an illusion, a trick of the firelight that caught her eyes.

She waited warmly in that new and gentle winter.

-

The bus rumbled across the highway, though inside it was as smooth an experience as one could hope for. It was upholstered in felt, and was all around an upscale model designed for long-distance travel. It was a relief that she was travelling on the school’s dime, since her stipend was rather frugal.

Azaka stole a quick glance at the passenger beside her, an astonishingly pretty foreigner who identified herself as Jeanne. Her pack contained the essentials for travel, some clothes, and a map to their destination, not to mention a healthy stipend to cover any costs. While her phone charged, she browsed a magazine left behind in the mesh pocket of the seat. On the opposite side of the aisle sat Jeanne, quietly enjoying the soft warmth of the heated vehicle. Such an ordinary sight, and yet where the oblique rays of the rising sun caught her hair, she exploded into radiance, as though the centerpiece of a grand work of art. Something in her nature felt complete, simply correct in a profound manner.

They had exchanged words briefly, first at the beginning of the trip. Azaka learned that she was a dignitary of the church itself. She could hardly have believed it, given that the girl was hardly older than she was. Young women did not usually draw the respect of the Mother Superior. Truth be told, Azaka had little interest in this tagalong game. The immediate cause of her excitement was a town marked on the map: Mifune.

Perhaps she might drop in for an unexpected visit, and display a little grace. Every detail of her outward aspect had been chosen to match his interests, as she had always intended. What a windfall it would be if she could see him again. Such thoughts happily buzzed through her head. While ordinarily she would give herself over to some idle fantasy, she noticed again the woman in white, and this time their eyes happened to meet.

“Is this your first time in Japan?”

“Ah, yes, it is.”

“You speak very well, miss. It’s as though you were born here.”

“Thank you, but it’s really nothing exceptional.” Not her own achievement.

“If you don’t mind me asking, where are you from?”

“France. I have some business here, and I thought that it would be a good opportunity to see the rest of the country at the same time.”

“Well, it’s my pleasure to accompany you.”

“Likewise.”

A great deal more came to her mind and was left unvoiced. She felt a presence, like the weight of office, around the strange visitor, but could not place it to anything. She was nothing but a girl, perhaps a little older than her. She was normally more personable, but that feeling seemed so strange, so oppressive, that she could force out nothing more than reserved politeness. And for what? A pretty foreigner, likely some official’s daughter out on tour?

The bus was nearly empty, so they had the advantage of a quiet journey. The landscape rolled by, and fields of snow turned to rice paddies, barren after the harvest. Azaka was drowsy now, lulled by the quiet hum of the engine. She studied the map and noted the distance to their destination, and judged that she’d have a few hours to nap if the mood took her. At the edge of her vision, she noticed her companion sitting quietly. Then, the journey became a blur of motion and forgotten thoughts.

The bus came to a halt, the doors opened with a pneumatic hiss. A pair of businessmen disembarked. A family of three left behind them. And somebody got on.

It was black hair of around medium length. Underneath the unkempt bangs there were those familiar glasses, such unfashionable things. A neutral expression, and then recognition.

“Mikiya!?”

-----

There's a slick new tradition of multiple chapters that I've come to enjoy.
    Last edited by Frostyvale; April 8th, 2016 at 10:08 PM.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Huh.

Not sure what direction this will end up going, but I'm excited nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostyvale View Post
    There's a slick new tradition of multiple chapters that I've come to enjoy.
    How nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle hatori's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    the early portion hinted at the lemon. then the fluff mugged me from behind.
    I shall serve thy cause, upon my honour, till thy death.
    -Avenger/Jester. Trinity Series.
    Destined Legacies, shamelessly rewriting it since 2010

When I go random.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Azaka meets Jeanne D'arc huh? Curious to see where the lemon aspect comes in.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    I'm proud of you my son.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    I, for one, am glad that the tradition of Azaka's impending lesbian adventures still holds even in this day and age.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    “Azaka?” He moved to sit beside her, placing his small suitcase into the rack above the seat. “Touko told me to catch this bus. It’s obvious why now.” He yawned and settled into the seat, just a few centimeters short of touching shoulders with her.

A sudden meeting might have made things awkward, but she only felt a quiet joy. Beside her brother, the bus felt quite small, compact and warm like a cushion fort. Though, it wasn’t exactly a private place, as Mikiya’s attention had shifted to the other passenger.

It was not often that Azaka felt inadequate. In fact, she was very confident in her looks. As a young woman with a good personality, she was the very picture of upper-class breeding. In that, she was secure. But in Mikiya’s presence, any momentary glance he made toward another woman was a mark of failure. His wandering eyes were to blame, of course, but so was her inability to lock them down. Not once had he looked at her with such rapt attention as he did Shiki, or this woman right now. And she had to admit, the woman was very beautiful.

His gaze trailed down, attentive to curves that were just barely visible through a fairly conservative dress. As the bus sealed its doors, his head sunk just a touch and stayed fixed on her. Fortunately, the blonde woman was still engrossed in her novel and unaware of the sudden attention she’d garnered. And, and, and Mikiya! He had never been so plain, so bold in his intentions before this moment. Not to Shiki, in all their passionate celibacy, nor her.

Huffing, she tugged at his shoulder in an attempt to dislodge his gaze. There was no resistance, not even a bit, before he landed fully on her lap. He opened his bleary eyes. Sitting up, he asked, “Did I fall asleep? Sorry, I’ve had a long night.”

He was just asleep? She forgot about her concerns at once, as a wicked grin split her face. “And what have you been getting up to that keeps you awake?”

Sitting up, he rubbed his brow. “Some new jobs came in all of a sudden, and you know Touko’s not good for any ordinary work, not as long as I’m there to do it. I thought you’d be stopping to see her, but I guess that’s not the case.”

“She’s sticking her nose in this? But still, this can’t be too bad.” Azaka muttered.

“What? Is something going on?”

“Yes, there’s something. In fact, I’m not very sure of what it is. But you’re coming with me, aren’t you?”

He chuckled. “Only as long as you’re paying for the meals.”

A little while outside the city, Jeanne addressed the pair. She briefed them quickly on their final destination, a port city known as Fuyuki, where she would apparently be assisting with some esoteric ceremonial duties. Their task was perhaps the simplest, as they were nothing more than tour guides. That said. if their companion considered interacting with them below her station, she made no show of it.

“However, I am not entirely familiar with the culture of this place. Though I’m aware of your circumstances, it happens that I’m in your care. That said, I believe our itinerary is fairly comprehensive, so we can refer to it if circumstance should lead us astray.”

She was a very unusual person, but carefree Mikiya had no trouble striking up a conversation. He wasn’t precisely a perfect host, but more than affable enough to put strangers at ease. Despite the incongruity in their backgrounds, the complete lack of proper introduction, they got along well.

“Really? It’s fortunate that you found a home for that cat.”

“He stills comes to my apartment sometimes, you know? Sometimes he just waits outside the door until I let him in. By the way, where did you say you were from?”

“France. Though I came here from Rome.”

“Aha! I’ve heard it’s a wonderful place, though I’m not in a good position to travel myself.”

Throughout that, Azaka spoke infrequently, but found herself enjoying the light chatter. It was exceedingly comfortable to relax in the middle of their smalltalk. And, she didn’t mind the chance to hear her brother’s voice, as close as they were. As the time ticked by, she slowly sunk closer and closer to Mikiya until her head was against his shoulder. Quite obliging, he didn’t say a word about it. The rest of the ride went by quite happily, enjoyed and forgotten.

-

The path to Fuyuki was rather straightforward, as it ran southwest along the coast. However, a trip taken for leisure had no need for expediency. They disembarked at a small resort in Yamanashi, near the base of the mountains.

As they wandered into the town, Jeanne checked their travel plans. Some convenient authority had already made reservations in her name.

“It says here that we’re staying at some place called… I believe it’s the Matsutake Inn?”

“Huh, is that it over there?” Azaka said.

It was a sprawling Japanese inn, enclosed by a short stone wall. Pine trees surrounded the property, serving as a natural barrier for the outdoor baths.

As if electrified, Azaka bounded forward “Come on Miss, Mikiya! We’ve the entire day to waste, so let’s get checked in.”

“Ah, calling me by my name is fine, Miss Kokutou.”

“Jeanne, hm? Then it’s Azaka, if you please.”

With a little grin, she said, “Azaka, that sounds quite nice.”

Inside, an attendant took their luggage, and another guided them to the dining room for lunch. The meal was a dish of rice and vegetables, flavored with miso and garlic. Like the room, it was sparse of extraneous features. It was, Azaka supposed, very evocative of the winter pines, with a crisp and clean flavor. Hardly the sort of thing that one would enjoy under the kotatsu, but rather here, staring at the stark trees that sprung up from the fields of snow. A dark curtain over the silver sky.

They ate in relative silence, each of them starving for different reasons. Mikiya took his meal slowly, eating the same way he always did. Only a few years ago, she had seen him like this, every morning and night. He was suited for a place like this, all the more without that sulking spectre clinging to his side.

And then, there was Jeanne. It wouldn’t have been strange for her to request a spoon, but she handled the chopsticks quite deftly. Azaka had noticed her hands clasped in prayer, shortly before touching her food. It occurred to her that the same had been a custom in Reien as well, though she hardly cared to adhere to such things when not forced. Rituals like that could discipline the mind, certainly, but there was a point where that didn’t matter anymore. Where it was fine to conduct herself as she pleased.

After the meal, Mikiya unceremoniously repaired to their room. As the reservations had been made well in advance of his ad-hoc addition to the party, they only had a single room to use. Azaka had some reservations about the situation, but she felt confident that the issue wouldn’t become relevant until later.

“I’m honestly ready to collapse. If I’m not awake when we’ve got to go, just leave me.”

And now, it was just her and Jeanne. Two strangers wandering through a strange place.

The chill of the air was hardly alleviated by the wan sun, but there were people moving around. Laughing children dodged around them, engaged in some game. The mountains were a constant feature, glimpsed through the gaps in the buildings. It was as though they were positioned on the rim of a giant bowl, overlooking the forested valley. Stark evergreens dominated the woods. In this climate, deciduous trees were just out-competed. Only these unchanging, bristling trees persisted through the harsh mountain winters.

Ambling aimlessly through the town, it became clear that this was a more traditional resort. It was missing an essential aspect of the typical tourist trap: rampant commercialization. It was evident, as the buildings were old, probably erected around the late Taisho, though kept in good maintenance. A good part of the town had adapted to take advantage of the local hot springs, establishing stores and stalls that rarely went empty. The inhabitants were those whose families had lived there for generations, either old pensioners or owners of the local orchards and farms. A sleepy, quiet place. The kind of town where a person could live and die quite comfortably, without once seeing the greater world. Past the rowdy children, clear tones filled the quiet air. An old man was tuning his koto, testing the notes one at a time. Taking the opportunity, Azaka asked him about the town’s features.

“Ah? Well, I don’t know if it’s what you’re looking for, but when I was young, we used to sneak out to a trail in the forest. It goes up to one of the smaller cliffs. Smaller, but you could see the whole town from there.”

She thanked him, and conferred with her companion.

“Do you feel like a short hike?”

Jeanne’s face lit up with excitement. “That would be excellent.”

The trail led up to a promontory overlooking the valley. It was nothing more than a patchy dirt path, worn away by footsteps. The surrounding trees were laden with snow. Sparkling at their tips, but darker than night under the canopy. The shaded ground was covered in a thick layer of dried needles and dotted with an infinite assortment of pinecones.

It wasn’t a hard walk, but it was long. The grade of the slope was gentle enough that they hardly noticed it at times, but it went inexorably upward. It was fortunate that she’d chosen sturdy boots, though it occurred to her that Shiki would have worn the same. Curiously irritating.

Yet more of an annoyance was the person she was walking with. No, it wasn’t exactly that. Rather, it was the person who wasn’t with her. She could picture him already, accompanying her in stride. He’d never been much of an athlete, but something like this would have been easy for him. Obligation held her to the person beside her.

But given Jeanne’s easygoing attitude and enthusiasm, it was hard to dislike her. Not that Azaka was trying. The girl was not what she’d expected. Graceful without failure, enthusiastic for a good long trek, and unceasingly polite. The picture of good breeding and thoughtful education, not at all some wealthy tourist. Crowning the list, she was important enough that the Mother Superior volunteered a student to serve as a glorified traveling companion? That warranted some sort of explanation, but Azaka had already sensed that she wouldn’t find one. They continued on, taking an easy pace through the forest.

It was the change in view that hit her first. The surrounding trees thinned and gave way to the open sky, and over the lip of ashen basalt, there was the town. It wasn’t particularly far away, only some fifty metres below them, but it felt like staring down at a map. The sun was a bright golden disc, somewhere between its zenith and the horizon. Far below was the inn, baths only faint puffs of steam, concealed by a thick wall of trees and bushes. The gardens looked like a miniature from this distance.

“It really is a good view, isn’t it?” Azaka said.

-

It was a familiar sight. Many times, on the eve of battle she’d stood on the high ground, surveying the field, or the desolate ruins of some village sacked by the invading forces.

But this was the first time she’d looked down on such a peaceful place. There was no need to steel her heart, no need to pray for the dead and those soon to join them. That fight was over.

The person at her side was agreeable, kind and energetic. Azaka Kokutou; the name reminded her of an author she’d read recently. It was much easier to get along with her and her brother than the church officials. It was something of a contradiction, but what she knew best was dealing with the common man. It wasn’t in her to match the ostentation of the clergy.

Something else had snatched her attention. She couldn’t quite put a name to the feeling, but it was familiar. The same twinge of foreboding she felt marching into Compiegne, but why?

In the meantime, she pulled a camera out of her bag. With a snap and whir, the photo faded into clarity.

-

On their return, they had wandered over to a snack stand, where Azaka found some particularly delectable but curiously out of season sakura mochi. They were warm and soft, with a glutinous shell and a soft filling. As silver snowflakes descended on the town, they departed for the inn.

Fragile crystals fell from towering clouds, catching the light of the setting sun on their way down. Far on the horizon, the pink and purple sky stretched like a crown over the mountaintops. The sun a gleaming red disk, sinking beneath a distant peak. With the wind cutting through her clothing, she might as well have been wearing nothing. There was no more forest to shield her from the gusts.

“Those had a strange flavor, though I wonder if they weren’t too sweet?” Jeanne said.

“You’re correct, in a way. Usually they only serve that kind of mochi in the spring.”

“Aha, I see. The cherry blossoms, yes. That’s certainly a flavor suited for the new blooms”

“Eating them at a time like this is just weird, or that’s how it goes anyway. But, I think they taste good like this. Imagine it, wandering through the cold with nothing but the lingering tinge of sugar in your mouth, drenched in the faraway fragrance of the cherry blossoms. It’s the kind of thing that gets you wishing for the seasons to hurry up.”

“Perhaps that’s why they were serving them, then.”

After a contemplative hum, Azaka said, “Let’s hurry back. We’ve still got some time to spend in the baths.”

The first bath was brief. They washed themselves, and had just settled into the steaming indoor pool when the gong sounded for dinner.

Azaka left before Jeanne, almost eager to move off to dinner. She dried herself rapidly, and reached for her clothes.

It caught her eye for no particular reason. A metal box. A camera?

She picked it up, examining the make. It looked almost sleek, definitely a high-end model. She lifted the viewfinder to her eye, and in the same burst of impulse, turned around and snapped a shot.

The distant sound of dripping water. Jeanne stood frozen before her, a literal image of surprise.

“Ah, sorry, I just accidentally pressed the button and—!”

“Ah, it’s nothing, don’t worry. There’s a lot of film.” Smiling, Jeanne brushed it aside.

Swaddled in yukata, and still a little damp behind the ears, they arrived just as the meal was served.

Azaka ate mechanically, chewing and swallowing without taking a second to taste. Mikiya was absent, which on the scale of possible problems was as bad as things could get. He was probably still asleep, probably. If so, she had no choice but to deal with it.

That being the case, she parted ways with Jeanne, who headed out to one of the private baths. In the meantime, she made for the outdoor pool, which was open to women after dinner. The inn’s various baths were split between the genders on a strange rotational cycle. This one was the highlight of the inn, and with the absence of any other clients, it would be all hers.

The sharp scent of pine needles struck her at once. The lights were electric, housed in stone lanterns evocative of a traditional shrine. Through the steam, the already diffuse glow was like a haze, like a will o’ the wisp. A single bright oasis in a world walled off by dark trees and bushes. The rock arrangements were evocative of a mountain pool, as though she could have stumbled upon it while hiking.

She stepped in, slowly at first. She was good with heat, but this was a matter of propriety. Slowly, she allowed the water to cover her foot, and then her ankle, and her knees, and then she slid in fully. The heat surrounded her, suffused into her skin. Steam filled her vision, filled her lungs. The heat and humidity were a welcome barrier against the cold of the open air. The sun had abandoned the sky, leaving behind the distant moon and the curtain of stars.

And, all of a sudden, she became conscious of something strange.

It was a single flash of black, just visible around the corner of one of the decorative boulders. She didn’t speak, didn’t call out. She hardly even had a conscious thought.

She willed herself to move, held down by the water and her lethargy. She waded, immersed up to her shoulders in the very center of the bath. And, then she was on the other side.

Propped up against the rock, snoozing gently in the heat of the bath, was her older brother.

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries

Forgot.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I wonder who'll see that naked candid of Jeanne.

And what will Azaka do, confronted with the defenseless sight of her naked brother? The suspense bates my breath.
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle hatori's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    wow.

just wow.
    I shall serve thy cause, upon my honour, till thy death.
    -Avenger/Jester. Trinity Series.
    Destined Legacies, shamelessly rewriting it since 2010

When I go random.

After the meal, Mikiya unceremoniously repaired to their room.
    I think you meant to say retired right here.

Other than that great work and can't wait to see where it goes from here.

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    It's kind of an archaic definition, so you don't see it a lot but:

repair
    /rɪˈpɛə/
    verb (intransitive)
    (usually foll by to) to go (to a place): "to repair to the country"

Ah, ok my apologies then.

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    Take a second and imagine that you are Azaka Kokutou.

All you’ve known is restraint. Willpower kept you in order, kept you within the boundaries of the ordinary and sane. Instead of caving in, you enforced a rigid set of rules. Inviolable guidelines for your existence.

And so you left the source of your temptation. To protect your definition of self, you ran away, promising to return after completing your training as a maiden. Foolish, positively naive. You lost the chance to inure yourself to the little shocks of life: seeing him on a daily basis.

Far from his sight, you toiled to change yourself. Your one hope had been to strip away the child, to build the image of a young lady. The strategy was fundamentally simple, assuming only one thing: time and distance would make him forget.

There was a time when you were together, constantly. Children, playing, sleeping, bathing with each other as if it was the most natural thing in the world. That was the way things had been, and if they’d stayed that way, nothing would have come of it. Those feeble hopes would have been snatched away by the standards of the civilized world.

Maybe he did forget, but you never could have. It hasn’t changed your thinking a bit.

But other things have changed. His face is sharper, almost set in adulthood. It’s only when you’re this close that you can tell for certain. It’s obvious how his shoulders have broadened, his legs grown. He’s much taller than you, though he always was. Lately, he’d always seemed like a big black raven, though always hopelessly good-natured. He looks almost white, glowing, now free of his dark clothing. A natural effect of the ambient darkness and the light’s halation.

It’s all there, so go ahead and indulge. You’ve waited for it.

-

It was natural; she’d wake him up and pull him out.

“Mikiya? Mikiya! Get up!”

And no response. Her words couldn't reach him, as though she was speaking underwater.

Then she needed a direct approach. Taking a step forward, pressing her towel to her chest like a protective charm, she shook his shoulder. His head lolled in another direction, but he didn’t wake.

Another step forward. Now she was conscious of the closing distance. Space collapsed around her, confining her attention to the single strip of dark water that separated them.

In a situation like this, she had to check his health. If he was simply unconscious, that was one thing, but one never knew. Checking under his nose, she confirmed that he was breathing. But, how cool he was! As though he hadn’t been soaking for the better part of an hour.

He wasn’t cool, not at all. She was heating up, producing a steady cloud of thick mist around her. If she brought her hands out of the water, she might see the little beads of water whizzing down on little Leidenfrost clouds. It wouldn’t have been worse if she was on fire.

But it was nothing absurd like that. She was simply feverish, blushing incandescently from head to toe. Give it a moment and it would pass. Nothing so special about it.

What a waste, what a pointless distraction. She was forgetting her priority: attending to her brother.

Right, if he wasn’t waking, there weren’t any other options. She’d simply have to remove him herself. How fortunate that she was the one to chance upon him. It would have been a scandal if he’d been caught by some other resident, or even a member of the staff. No need for that kind of embarrassment.

She tied her towel around her waist, and hoisted him up. He leaned like a limp rag against her shoulder, but in the water, she could bear his weight without much difficulty. Getting him out would be the challenge. To make things easier, she brought his arm over her shoulder and used it as an anchor.

Now she was making distance, only had to reach the edge to pull him out. The carefully maintained hot spring had a rough stone floor, but all pebbles, twigs, and other debris were scrupulously removed. It couldn’t have been a smoother trip. Only, there was an unfamiliar sensation on her chest.

A hand, limp and unsecured, brushed against her breast. Nothing but an accident, a quirk of chaotic motion. However, that was the trigger.

She yelped and jerked away. As a result, her brother fell with a splash into the water. She moved to get him back up, but the impact and subsequent sensation of asphyxiation had taken care of all those problems for her.

Coughing, gasping, utterly dazed and confused, he surfaced like a bobbing cork.

“Azaka!?”

“Not one word! Now cover yourself up!”

It was over; the chance was lost. Her mind ran on autopilot, going through the appropriate steps of embarrassment, indignation, and admonishment. Her desires were buried somewhere in that routine: lost, but not entirely forgotten.

-

“You’re lucky I saved your dinner for you. Seriously, how are you going to keep going like this? It’s not good to skip meals, especially when you’re on a break.”

“Azaka, I’m not sick or injured. You don’t have to feed me.”

Her brow wrinkled. “That’s not the point! I’m going to make sure you enjoy yourself, and how do you expect that to happen if you’re going to starve to death as soon as I take my eyes off you?”

“Alright. If you insist.” He conceded. As though it was absurd for him to have refused in the first place.

He opened his mouth obediently. Not a moment later, she packed it full of rice and miso. A little dry, but water helped it down. Azaka loomed over him, poised to deliver the next mouthful. She was leaning over, supported on one arm. If that slipped, they would both fall over. The click of the chopsticks punctuated the silence. The sound of chewing filled Mikiya’s ears; Azaka’s, the sound of her throbbing heart. Excellent! Just excellent! Things were going better than she could have anticipated.

As for Mikiya, he saw nothing unusual. He would have preferred to eat by himself, but it wasn’t exactly an inconvenience to have somebody else take care of it for him. There was nothing to hurry for, no time to waste. Relaxing was best, and that also meant avoiding unnecessary conflicts.

Looking a bit more closely at the situation, one might have noticed some things out of place in an innocent family scene. For example, the little flush of pink coloring the tips of Azaka’s ears, or the little beads of water still flowing down her nape, forming shiny streaks over the smooth skin. As a man, he might have noticed the swell of her breasts, perhaps given an eye to the way she seemed to lean into him. Maybe even taken a whiff of that uniquely female scent, a gentle fragrance that one could hardly give words to. A sensation that wasn’t quite smelled, but felt in the center of the chest. Not even noticed until it kicked up the pulse and sent the mind spiraling away into fantasy.

He didn’t notice. Either that, or he didn't care. As raindrops fall away from leaves, the scenario, crafted to entrap the senses and inflame the libido, simply didn’t touch him. If he had been drinking coffee and reading the newspaper, he would have reacted much the same.

But nothing could dissuade her. Just a little more effort, and it would all fall through. Surely.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    I feel sort of bad for Azaka. Her hopes are pretty much impossible.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    You're going to have to doujin harder than that, Azaka.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    I think I'm quite enjoying what's here so far. It's actually pretty funny, and I'm fond of Azaka (and Jeanne). With that said, I don't mean to be rude, but the thread title DOES say lemon, and there hasn't really been any of that yet, and I'd sorta like to know where you're going with that. I'm here specifically (and exclusively, if I'm being honest) hoping for precious, all-too-rare yuri, and if that's not gonna happen then I'd rather know now and be able to enjoy (or not) this story on its own merits rather than being disappointed for that reason. Because hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    I, for one, am glad that the tradition of Azaka's impending lesbian adventures still holds even in this day and age.
    seriously when has that ever been an actual thing outside, like, one-and-a-half doujins. There is very little reason for me to hope here.