Thread: Fighting Game Movesets

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fighting Game Movesets

You guys may not know, but before making Servant sheets my previous obsession was fighting game movesets for various characters (mostly anime and manga). Despite me never having played a single fighting game in my life. Yeah. But anyways, I actually churned out quite a few of these which I posted across various forums (getting little attention overall). I even tried putting them up in a specifically Blazblue oriented forum in the hope of getting more attention, but by the time I got there the whole scene was practically dead.

Catching up on Rwby rekindled my fighting game fanboyism a little, so I might actually get back to making a few of these (especially since I seem to have run out of new Servant ideas for the time being). Here's one I just put together this evening, Blake Belladona from Rwby in Blazblue style. If I get feedback then I may end up posting some of my older ones, otherwise I might just let this die.

Blake Belladonna:

Appearance:

Playstyle: A ninja-like character that specializes in flurries of fast but weak attacks and has relatively low defense to offset her high movement speed. Through her Drive, she has quite a bit of potential for faking out the opponent and even a single moment of confusion in the heat of battle can be taken advantage of by a skilled Blake player. Her ability to 'fake out' several of her specials by inputting D also insures to keep the opponent on their toes.

History: Blake used to be part of the Faun terrorist group 'White Fang', under the leadership of Adam Taurus. Disturbed by Adam's callousness towards civilian life, she quit the organization and joined Beacon, a military school to train hunters and huntresses against inhuman monsters known as 'Grimm'. But will Blake's clouded past come back to haunt her...?

Personality: A calm, serious and introverted girl with a bookish streak. She hates discrimination and has a fierce sense of justice. Has a tendency to push herself to the brink in stressful situations. Has mixed feelings about her Faunus heritage, which is both a source of pride for her but also a sense of deep loneliness, that she's inherently 'different' and apart from others (even her friends).

Actions:

Standing: Blake stands in place, one hand on her hip and the other resting on Gambol Shroud's hilt.

Walking: Struts forward in a vaguely feline manner.

Crouching: Kneels down with a hand on Gambol Shroud's hilt.

Blocking: Raises Gambol Shroud in front of her, defending herself with the sheath.

Dashing: Rushes forwards with arms out at her sides, ninja-style.

Back-Dash: Does a twirling hop backwards.

Burst: Spins with Gambol Shroud drawn, projecting a violet shockwave around her.

Intro: Falls in from off-screen, landing in a cat-like crouch before rising to her feet and taking Gambol Shroud off her shoulder.

Victory: Turns her back to the downed opponent and whips off her hair ribbon, revealing her cat ears as her dark hair billows in the wind.

Loss: Lands on her side, dislodging the ribbon from her hair. Her hand still grips lightly to Gambol Shroud.

Time-Out Loss: Vanishes from the stage, leaving a shadow-clone which quickly fades.

Taunt: Draws Gambol Shroud and twirls it in front of her quickly before putting it back.

Idle: Starts to meow, quickly catches herself by clamping a hand over her mouth and tries to pretend as if nothing happened.

Intro Quotes:
    "Shall we begin?"
    "I won't hold back against you."
    (VS Ruby) "Let's see how strong you've gotten, team leader."
    (VS Weiss) "Wonder how self-righteous you'll act after I beat you."
    (VS Yang) "Make any 'cat' jokes, and I really will kill you."
    (VS Torchwick) "I'll stop you here and now, Torchwick...!"
    (VS Adam) "Taurus! This is wrong! You have to stop!"

Victory Quotes:
    "Hmph. Too easy."
    "Shall we go again?"
    (VS Ruby) "Looks like you need a little more training. No offense, Ruby."
    (VS Weiss) "Unlike you, I know what a real battlefield looks like, princess."
    (VS Yang) "That was... fun."
    (VS Torchwick) "Now to turn you in..."
    (VS Adam) "Old friend... I'm sorry, but this had to be done..."

Loss Quotes:
    "No... not here...!"
    "I... wasn't strong enough...?"
    (VS Ruby) "...You've gotten stronger, Ruby."
    (VS Weiss) "Can't believe I let her of all people beat me..."
    (VS Yang) "You got a little sloppy, Yang."
    (VS Torchwick) "Not to that bastard...!"
    (VS Adam) "Adam... you... have to... stop...!"

Drive: Shadow
    Blake's Drive allows her to leave shadowy, intangible after-images in her wake to confuse her enemies. These after-images can additionally be given an elemental 'affinity' through one of her Special Moves, for one of three distinct effects. Only one after-image can be deployed on-screen at a time.

Overdrive: Shadow Trace
    After-images remain in existence for several seconds more. Can leave multiple after-images consecutively, with up to four allowed on-screen at a time.

Normal Moves:

5a: A quick strike with Gambol Shroud's hilt.
    2a: Sticks out her leg for a short, low kick.
    6a: Uppercut slash with her sheathed sword. Launches.
    j.5a: Quick hilt strike in midair.
    5b: Twirling diagonal swipe with unsheathed sword.
    2b: Low swipe with the scabbard at ankle-level.
    6b: Flips forwards acrobatically while slashing twice. Hits overhead.
    j.5b: Slashes with the scabbard and sword in unison, hitting twice.
    j.5bb: Follows with a midair kick, knocking opponent away.
    5c: Wide horizontal swipe with the chain-scythe. Pulls opponent in on hit.
    2c: Swings the chain-scythe low to the ground. Amazing range. Trips on hit.
    6c: Lashes the chain-scythe all around her in a vertical 360 degree circle. Hits up to five times.
    j.5c: Twirling slash with the chain-scythe at a steep downwards angle.
    j.2c: Midair twisting slash, knocks down on air hit.

Throws:

Forward Throw: Grabs opponent, slashes them a few times with sword and scabbard, then kicks them away.

Backward Throw: Grabs opponent and dashes 'through' them with a horizontal slash, ending up behind them with backs opposite one another. Staggers.

Aerial Throw: Grabs opponent's head between her legs, twists it around with a sickening 'snap' sound and then hurls them to the ground.
    "Don't worry. This won't kill you."

Drives:

5d: Twirls forward one character length, leaving an after-image in her wake.
    2d: Lunges forward close to the ground in a feline fashion, leaving an after-image in her wake. Covers the same distance as 5d.
    6d: Dashes forwards, leaving an after-image where she started. Crosses as much distance as her regular dash.
    4d: A twirling hop backwards, leaving an after-image where she started.
    7d: Jumps forwards in a wide arc, leaving an after-image where she started.
    1d: Jumps backwards in a wide arc, leaving an after-image where she started.
    j.5d: Lunges forwards in the air, leaving an after-image where she started. Covers slightly less distance then her regular air-dash.
    j.2d: Dives downwards from the air, leaving an after-image where she started.
    j.4d: Flips backwards in the air, leaving an after-image where she started.

Special Moves:

Lock & Load (in air okay): Blake loads Gambol Shroud with a specialized Dust cartridge, lending an elemental affinity to the next after-image she produces through her Drive. A colored aura surrounding her body indicates the affinity in question, vanishing after she expends it. A has her load up with a 'fire' cartridge, making her next after-image a fiery one which explodes if the opponent or any projectiles make contact with it, handy as a trap. B has her load up with an 'earth' cartridge, turning her next after-image into a stone statue that opponents can't pass through, withstanding up to one melee attack or projectile before shattering. Useful as a shield. C version has her load Gambol Shroud with an 'ice' cartridge, so her next after-image takes form as an ice sculpture that doesn't intercept projectiles but freezes the opponent momentarily if they touch it, similarly to Jin's Drive. She's left vulnerable for a moment while loading up the cartridge though, so be wary.

Tempest Slash: Blake slides forward while slashing all around her with Gambol Shroud, leaving a 'shockwave' of slashes in her wake. Passes through projectiles. A, B and C versions vary the range and number of hits. D version is a fake-out, sending an illusory after-image to do the slashes while she remains in place.

Sky Sever: Rises into the air at great speed with an acrobatic twisting uppercut slash, leaving a violet arc in the air. Basically her variant of the Shoryuken. A, B and C versions vary the distance covered and number of hits. D version just sends an intangible after-image while she remains standing, a fake out.

Vanishing Point (in air okay): After making a ninja-like hand-sign, Blake instantly switches places with her doppelganger on-screen (assuming there is one). In Overdrive mode where there can be more then one after-image on-screen at a time, the one she goes to is determined by where you point the controller stick after initiating the move.

Gambol Raid (in air okay): Fires her ballistic chain-scythe ahead of her in a straight line. If it connects, pressing A or B will have her either pull the opponent up to her or else pull herself towards them, followed by emptying a clip from its built-in pistol into their chest and kicking herself away. In the air she aims the scythe at a 45 degree downwards angle to snare grounded opponents.

Cyclonic Edge (in air only): Blake does a flurry of twisting slashes all around herself in midair, racking up multiple hits. B version has her use both sword and scabbard at once to increase number of hits, while C version has her perform the slashes with her chain-scythe for greatly enhanced range (about a third of the screen in all directions).

Distortion Drives:

Crescent Rend: Blake slashes upwards in a sweeping arc, rending the air and producing a large violet crescent-shaped blade of aura that flies forwards. Blake's only projectile and a quite powerful one, travelling the whole length of the screen and overwriting any other projectiles in its way. But it has a more telegraphed startup then many of her other moves.

Ignition Raid: Blake starts out by firing her chain-scythe ahead of her like in her Gambol Raid technique. If it connects, she automatically pulls herself up close, flip-kicks the target into the air along with herself and executes a short barrage of midair slashes, knocking them back to the ground with an arcing downwards swipe. Once the initial hit connects, the subsequent ones are impossible to avoid.

Astral Finish
    :

Grimalkin Frenzy: Blake lunges forwards with a zig-zagging slash. If it connects, she vanishes from sight, leaving the opponent standing with a confused look. Then the screen zooms out to show countless shadowy, yet still tangible after-images in the air all around the target, converging from all sides for a simultaneous cross slash which projects a violet 'X' symbol against the background. Basically her variant of Dantes's 'Enfer Chateau D'if' from Grand Order.