Thread: The Librarians (TNT TV series)

the tortured magi department Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Librarians (TNT TV series)

subpar promo image chosen for inclusion of John Larroquette, a.k.a. Jenkins, a.k.a. the best grumpy old man in the world

This is a thread to recommend and discuss The Librarians, a renewed American TV show set to air again in October 2016.

I'm offering you a life. Of mystery and misery. Of loneliness and adventure.
    More than that, I'm offering you an opportunity to make a difference and to save the world every week.

- - -

I feel like I'm designing a Geocities fanpage circa 1999, and that might just be the feeling that I need to evoke to tell you why this show is worth a little bit of your time if you're interested in trying out something new. If you already watch it, that's great, and I'd love to know if you do. I'd really like to talk about it. The Librarians is something that almost never fails to make me smile, but it also has stakes which are believable in the universe it has created.

Based on apparently-popular made-for-TV movies starring the character Flynn Carsen (Noah Wyle) titled The Librarian, followed by a subtitle, this series picks up that concept with Flynn reprising his role as the Librarian. I actually have only ever seen one of The Librarian movies and plan to maybe go back and look at them at some point. I'll provide you the information, though, in case you want to watch everything in order if you're interested.

Some premise information if you'd like it, contains first episode spoilers:

Spoiler:
    The Library is an interdimensional space where magical mysteries in books and artifacts of a magical nature are cataloged in order to keep them from falling into the wrong hands. Apparently, it is a bad thing if too much true magic is out there free in the world for people to us, at least according to the Library. The Library is sentient and chooses its own staff. There has always been a single Librarian chosen from among many candidates. Most of the time, the Librarian has a Guardian, also appointed by the Library, but this is not as required. Flynn Carsen, current Librarian, as of the time of the series start is very adamant that he does not want a new Guardian when the Library chooses Eve Baird, a colonel in the NATO Counterterrorism Unit, for the job.

The two quickly learn that this is not the only problem at hand, as they realize that someone is killing other highly-qualified Librarian candidates that the Library turned down when it chose Flynn. One of them had almost made it to Flynn to warn him of an impending disaster when he was stabbed to death in broad daylight. They learn that there is a painting of King Arthur and his knights in a museum in Munich and that something about it was apparently so important that this man died trying to tell Flynn. They also realize that the three highly-qualified candidates who failed to show up for their interviews are still alive, so they set off to find them and rescue them from their would-be assassinations.

Some stuff happens, and the primary antagonist organization that comes back now and again, the Serpent Brotherhood, reveals their plan to return a surplus of magic to the would through the leylines. They will do this by returning Excalibur to the stone from whence King Arthur pulled his sword, and so on. Wrong sword for us, but what can you say. Spoiler alert within the spoiler alert: They succeed in returning magic to the world, but do not fully succeed in the rest of their plan. As a result of this and some other events that transpire in the first episode(s), Flynn decides to keep the three Librarian candidates on as Librarians-in-Training while he goes off in search of the rest of the Library.

The show's primary characters are: Eve Baird, mentioned above as a NATO counter-terrorism officer and brand new Guardian, Cassandra Cillian, a synaesthete with a terminal brain tumor which allows her to be exceptionally good at math, Ezekiel Jones, a very young, world-class thief, and Jake Stone, an art history expert who has been voluntarily stranded in his hometown in Oklahoma all his life, hiding his interests and gifts from his friends and family to keep them believing that he is a typical roughneck. And last but not least, there is the man whom I chose the subpar promo picture for: Jenkins, who has another identity, but it's a major spoiler type thing, so let's suffice to say that he is the best grumpy old man you'll ever see.

If you're not interested in specific spoilers, a really canned description might be: actually dorky Indiana Jones with a little flavor of American Doctor Who. Team-bonding and silliness with enough substance to make people with open hearts care.

- - -

Watching Guide

The Librarians
    is a sequel-series following these three made-for-TV movies which concern some of the assumed background:

• The Librarian: The Quest for the Spear
    • The Librarian: Return to King Solomon's Temple
    • The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice

I don't think it's necessary to watch these first, as I cannot attest to their quality and I really like the show without that, but I do plan to watch them eventually.

Of course, then you might think, "Well I can just watch the show, right?" Well, yes. But something I believe it's useful to know is that, for some network-related reason, the first season was not aired or numbered as originally intended when they filmed it. The plot still holds up, since much of the middle of the show is episodic, but it makes some of the character development much less cohesive. Trust issues come and go, team-building is wonky, and so on. You can watch the episodes in their aired and official order without too much of a problem, but the narrative and characters are a bit more cohesive if you watch it the way they originally planned:

Season 1

• 1.01 And the Crown of King Arthur (aired as planned)
    • 1.02 And the Sword in the Stone (aired as planned)
    • 1.03 And the Horns of Dilemma (aired as planned)
    • 1.04 And the Fables of Doom (aired as the sixth episode)
    • 1.05 And the Heart of Darkness (aired as the eighth episode)
    • 1.06 And Santa's Midnight Run (aired as the fourth episode)
    • 1.07 And the Apple of Discord (aired as the fifth episode)
    • 1.08 And the City of Light (aired as the ninth episode)
    • 1.09 And the Rule of Three (aired as the seventh episode)
    • 1.10 And the Loom of Fate (aired as planned)

(Here is the tumblr post that sorted all this out. There were a bunch of reasons this was verified as true, and it's obvious once you watch it that way; it isn't just this tumblr user's headcanon. She explains it well and has some notes about which characters or relationships were focused on most in each episode and how the development was supposed to progress.)

As far as I know, Season 2 didn't do this. Will update if I found out otherwise, but here is an episode listing for you:

Season 2

• 2.01 And the Drowned Book
    • 2.02 And the Broken Staff
    • 2.03 And What Lies Beneath the Stones
    • 2.04 And the Cost of Education
    • 2.05 And the Hollow Men
    • 2.06 And the Infernal Contract
    • 2.07 And the Image of Image
    • 2.08 And the Point of Salvation
    • 2.09 And the Happily Ever Afters
    • 2.10 And the Final Curtain

In both Season 1 and Season 2, the first two episodes are two-parters.

Watching Options: Amazon, Hulu, and Google Play all offer the episodes if you cannot catch them on TNT or in other syndication.

- - -

If you need a few parting words for why you, a BL member, might watch this silly show (I fully admit that it's silly), I will tell you that it's fun to headcanon that Saber is King Arthur in this too. So far they haven't completely ruined that for me, and yes, Arthurian themes reoccur. I can also think of at least one GO Servant who's been evoked in this series. But anyway, this might be a sort of pointless post, but this show makes me happy. It reminds me of something from a time not-too-long past that sort of feels like the scifi and fantasy of my childhood with fewer of the pitfalls. This is something you can care about without getting in too deep. It's serious at times, and it feels like it matters when that happens, but it's often really funny too. Oh, and if you ever liked Leverage, it's basically the same show but with magic.
    Last edited by Prix with a Silent X; April 24th, 2016 at 03:35 AM.
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.

Blog Entries
    After viewing the first episode with you I think I will continue watching it since it seems vaguely interesting enough to keep my attention. Also, yeah, probanly less than a minute in I thought "Prix, did you introduce me to American Doctor Who".

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm still waiting for the episode where Jake gets a hand cut off by David Boreanaz.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    I feel like this is either a serious Jake grudge or a reference I'm missing...? Angel...? Oh! He was a shitty lawyer on Angel, wasn't he?

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Other Links

Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    I watched the movies when they marathoned them earlier this year (last year? I have no sense of time) and they were roughly a thousand times campier than every episode of the show put together which is like, wow, I did not think that was possible. But I guess made for TV movies must have an even less forgiving budget than made for TV... TV shows, so all is forgiven. At least Dr. Carter is still cute.

And if I had to pick a favorite episode of the show, I guess it would be the one where fairy tales are coming to life? Out of the ones I've seen, anyway, like I said in some other thread I don't really watch it consistently just when it's on and I happen to be watching TV so I really don't have any idea what's going on with the overarching plot other than Ezekiel is the best and Cassandra can be scary.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Cassandra can be scary.
    She's adorable, actually.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ezekiel is the best and Cassandra can be scary.
    This is objectively true. Ezekiel and Cassandra are my favorite characters. I also really love Jenkins. But one thing I like about the show is that, even having favorites, I still love the main cast individually so much that it kind of makes me feel guilty to pick favorites. I mean, I'm just kind of like that anyway, but it's especially true with this show.

My favorite episode is maybe And the Heart of Darkness, which is an S1 episode about a haunted house. I am a lightweight about horror and murder and stuff like that, but that episode really haunted me. I think that it is partly because the show tends to be so campy that it really resonated with me. I thought that it made really good use of urban legend and horror tropes to create a tense atmosphere, and like all the episodes it was meta enough to be very entertaining even when it was pressing a little hard on a cliche. I really loved that episode for the very explicit acknowledgment of Cassandra's creepiness as a character. I was so into the idea that Cassandra kind of is an embodiment of death, and I love reading fic where that is echoed. I think the fact that she is the line between science/magic focal character and her also having this close relationship to death and that kind of thing all fit together in a package that I really enjoy, and it makes her sort of ethereal girlishness which they usually don't oversell even more poignant.

I also really love the finale of S1 because I like the way Arthurian legend is incorporated into the show. I was kind of afraid in S2 that it was just going to go away like none of that had ever mattered, but when they started bringing it up again I found it interesting. Like I said, I tend to overlap it with Fate headcanon, but I just also like what they did on the show itself. And the Loom of Fate was great because it involved one of my favorite things - multiverse stories.

Ezekiel's focal episode in S2, And the Point of Salvation, was also really, really great. I like how most of Ezekiel's focal stuff kind of genre-shifts things a little bit, where he's the youngest and kind of a more typical movie-watching, tech-savvy person. I was a little disappointed that the resolution of that episode kind of side-stepped out of the sort of Steins;Gate-like horror of having repeated something traumatic over and over and over even being there in Ezekiel's memory, because you saw him develop and change so much, but I'm going to go with the idea that it's there at least subconsciously. It would be a shame to waste all of that, even if I don't wish that kind of repeated trauma on him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GayBeamu View Post
    She's adorable, actually.
    And also scary. Remember how I pointed out that that scene where she was asking about "If you die, does one of us become the Librarian?" in the first episode was creepy? Well, now that you've seen it, you know why that was creepy...

Other Links

Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes View Post
    And also scary. Remember how I pointed out that that scene where she was asking about "If you die, does one of us become the Librarian?" in the first episode was creepy? Well, now that you've seen it, you know why that was creepy...
    Even at the time the subject was obviously morbid at the time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GayBeamu View Post
    Even at the time the subject was obviously morbid at the time
    Well, she has a terminal brain tumor. Can't blame the girl for being morbid.

Other Links

Spoiler: