Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Zero Complex (IC Thread)

Emiya Kiritsugu
    Abandoned House

How typical, Kiritsugu thought. Maybe he should just shoot this guy and get it over with. With his firm belief in the cause, the spy was the perfect castoff pawn. As for whether or not a small country like Tristan would go to war over its Princess if she was kidnapped, that was a tossup. There was truth in the spy’s words; however, Tristan might take it as an act of war, believing Albion intended to invade them. In that likely event, they’d be left with the choice of fighting back or surrendering. He did wonder if Albion’s might was as great as the spy believed. Maybe other man was talking out of his ass, believing justice and whatever deity he believed in was with his side. Regardless, a country in the midst of a civil war provoking another country didn’t seem wise to Kiritsugu.

“That’s a pity. I won’t know what to put on your grave,” Kiritsugu said. He paused when the stranger questioned him. This was a crucial point. Should he go along and answer the spy, or use physical punishment to reinforce his position? Physical torture didn’t really work well, but a punch now and then could be effective in reminding the captive of the situation. The main question was how much time Kiritsugu was willing to pour into interrogating this man.

On one hand, he had caught the tail of a massive conspiracy that might have a major impact on two countries. But keeping this man alive would require a lot of time and energy. If Kiritsugu had access to his usual tools, he’d feel more secure in the outcome, but he didn’t. As long as this man lived, he was a liability. Kiritsugu decided it would be best to get what he could from this man and finish him off tonight. Perhaps, this spy’s absence would cause the conspirators to become cautious, wary of the Crown catching on to their activities? Or it might accelerate their plans. Regardless, Kiritsugu didn’t want to spend too much time on this mere spy.

“My partners and I are freelancers from the east, and our only interest is in our client's coin.”

Kiritsugu contemplated tossing out Cardinal Mazarin’s name but ultimately decided against it. Best to keep his cards in reserve and let the spy draw his own conclusions, decreasing the chance of Kiritsugu slipping up.

“Tell me about Tristan's criminal underworld and the black market.” Kiritsugu didn't mind revealing his recent arrival to this country; the captive wasn't going to live long enough for it to matter. Given that his captive was a spy acting on foreign soil meant he probably had connections with the underworld. If the spy was willing to answer Kiritsugu’s questions, he might live a little while longer. If not, well, Kiritsugu could use some sleep and peace of mind.

While keeping his eyes on the captive, Kiritsugu slowly walked behind him.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Charming Fey Brothel
    Londonium, Albion

As the odd mage climbed back up to the main level of the building, Josephine and the others fell silent, watching him as he approached, while cautiously noting that the black-armored sentinel was still standing watch vigilantly, not having moved a muscle (decidedly odd for any living thing, as they didn't think they'd even seen him breathe). The soldier boy had by now been trussed up, bound spread-eagled to the posts of one of the cheaper beds, but he had yet to regain consciousness, such was the depth of his fear.

"Unfortunately, he has not yet regained consciousness, Sir Kariya," the van Pelier girl replied, looking to each of the girls in turn as if to reassure them that she would handle this, that they would be ok. Her expression flickered not a bit when the mage, now dressed in typical robes and bandages, asked to speak privately with her. "Yes. The kitchens are currently not being used, if you wish to speak there."

It was open enough that there was an escape route if necessary, and perhaps if she placated one of his other hungers he would be less likely to attack.

"We also have some bread and cheese in the pantry, along with stew, should you desire some...?"

Abandoned House

'Interesting...freelancers, and seemingly professional at that. There are of course rumors of wandering mercenaries or assassins from the Eastern lands, but it is unlikely that he works for the Crown of Tristain, given that the Cardinal is rather loyal to the Church of Brimir and its teachings. They do have a black operations unit of course, but given its sympathies and its former commander...that bunch would not seek me out.'

Ian de Lancaster knew this quite well, given that Reconquista had managed to penetrate the most "secure" circles of Tristain, thanks to the corruption and dissatisfaction of most of its nobles. And if some of his allies were to lose contact with him for any prolonged period of time - well, they had instructions on what to do following any mysterious disappearance. It paid to be prepared, given the risky nature of his chosen profession, with contingencies and backup plans to be triggered in the event of his untimely demise or capture.

'As for his questions about the criminal underworld, it seems he may be in a similar position, but working for a rival power...'

Possibly Germania, as those heretics believed in efficacy above all else.

A shake of his head, and a muttering as Lancaster closed his eyes for a moment, as if in thought, fingering his silver ring.

Bzt!

A moment later, the air shook, and with a vicious crack, whips of lightning shot from the man towards his captor with enough current to kill a griffon. It was a last-ditch spell - one of two that he had stored in his ring for emergency use, and he hoped to use it to incapacitate his captor...perhaps to acquire that dangerous firearm in case the partner arrived.

Blog Entries
    Percerin woke up. Not a comfortable awakening from the voluminous sheets of his bed - his mistress had treated him well - like most mornings. No, this was an awakening marked by a massive pain on the side of his head, and in his wrists and feet. Which as it turned out was because they had been tied together with strips of his own shirt. He was somehow upright...

He was tied to a wooden post, his hands looped behind the back, splinters from it digging into his arms. It and he were in the bathhouses under the mansion, which seemed to be unchanged save for the fact that the main pool was for some reason drained and the falling water from the lion's heads had been shut off. He could also see that the drain in the bottom of it had been blocked with a slab of stone. Before he had any more time to take stock of his surroundings, those two drifted into his field of vision. That smiling, redheaded man that had punched him and the robed one, who could be called handsome if his eyes had not flamed with madness. "Like what we've done with the place?" the redhead asked. "Oh, it's not much yet, I guess, but it'll be better soon enough."

"What... What do you want from me?" Percerin could only gasp. These two were obviously trained if they had been able to get into the mansion without him noticing the noise or signs of their entry. Did they want information on former Duke's family? But in that case, why did they kill the Duchess?

"From you? Nothing, really. We already have what we wanted from you. Here, I'll tell you something. You are going to die in the next few minutes."

Percerin froze. He may have even forgotten to breathe. Why? Why him? What had he ever done? Why would he be killed without at least a chance to say goodbye to the Duchess...

"You're right Caster-san, it does rest in their eyes. Look, you can see the regret, the sadness, the realization that his life is really over."

"As I said, yes. Congratulations, Uryuu Ryuunosuke. You have just completed your first real murder."

"Eh? But he's not dead yet."

"The death of the body is merely a formality. The actual death comes when they realize that it is upon them, and that they are truly done for. Another lesson: it is often interesting to observe how they act during this moment. It shows the real nature of a person, how they act when they are doomed."

"...Caster-san, if I could be half as good at murder as you, I would die happy. So, butler, why do you cry?"

At that, Percerin realized that he had been sobbing uncontrollably. He tried to pull himself together: if Caster and now this Uryuu believed in what they said, he would die proud, not a sobbing wreck. "All I regret is that you could not let me say goodbye to the Duchess one last time."

"No," Caster said. "It is deeper than that."

"I regret that I could not do more for her family. None of them deserved to die. They just did what they thought was right."

"Well," Ryuunosuke said, "I can't help with that, but you can say goodbye."

"What?" replied Percerin. He felt his soul rising: was it some kind of trick, designed to make him reveal information? Was it a test of his loyalty?

"Sure. Say goodbye to her daughter. We have her right here." Saying this, Ryuunosuke lifted the doll of Charlotte that the Duchess had. He lifted it to Percerin's neck, and placed it there as if a child cradled by it's father. A child, stained and soaked through with the blood of it's mother. "Say goodbye to the nice butler, Charlotte. Goodbye, butler," he replied for the doll in a sickening, high imitation of a girl's voice. At this, Percerin broke down. He was a strong man, but just not strong enough for this. He cried. He cried as Ryuunosuke and Caster lifted the post that he was tied to and placed it on the edge of the large pool. He cried, right up to the moment when Ryuunosuke slit his neck.

Percerin's blood flowed out of his lifeless body and into the large pool, spreading out across the bottom. Ryuunosuke and Caster watched his body drain. After the flow had slowed to a trickle, Ryuunosuke went behind the body and slit the bonds on it's feet and wrists, allowing it to fall into the pool. There wasn't much blood in it yet, but there was enough for a mesmerizing spray of ruby droplets to be thrown into the air by the impact. Then Caster lifted his book, bound with human skin - no, skin that looked human, but for how it glistened, by all rights should have been drawn from some kind of sea creature. Opening it to a page, he said a word in some kind of incomprehensible language. At that word, the body in the pool instantly turned to pure liquid, all of its components reduced to a slurry. Then Caster spoke another word. The surface of the thin veneer of viscera that had spread across the bottom of the pool rippled as if two pebbles had been dropped into it. From those points, two creatures arose.

Globs of glistening, blubbery flesh. Mounds without real form, except for the multitude of circular mouths scattered all over the body, where shark's teeth rested, and the whirling tentacles, thick as a man's forearm. Both of the demons were small, maybe three feet high, but Ryuunosuke had no doubt that they could slaughter a normal man. Caster spoke to them. "Go forth from this place, and map out the terrain, going in widening circles. Return by nightfall." They didn't make any sign of acknowledgement, but simply began to - slither? - out of the pool and up the stairs, leaving the mansion. "Time to discover what lies in our hunting fields."

Blog Entries
    Tokiomi Tohsaka / Archer
    Airship to Albion

Tokiomi thought that it was strange when he saw the two moons in the sky above and when the sailor had called this land Albion, but his suspicions were confirmed when the captain once again mentioned the name Albion and told him of the date and time.

So it appears that we have been summoned to a completely different world. Considering Kirei’s sudden disappearance the same must have happened with the other Master’s and Servants, so I will need to keep an eye out for any mention of them. For now however I have a more important goal that I can accomplish.

The first thing I needed to do was form a sort of trust with these sailors.

Thinking this I then spoke to Archer using our link. “Archer, if we’re under attack would you have a way to defend ourselves or a way of escape?”

Archer laughed then spoke confidence leaking from every word. “Escape? Why would we need to escape when there is nothing that can stand against me! I do however have means of transportation shall it be required and I can handle anything these Mongrels can throw against me.”

“Very well then.” He sounded confident that we would be able to handle any situation, should the need be required. I have little choice but to trust him.

Thinking this I then spoke to the captain a hint of confidence in my voice. “My dear captain, right now we our a little low on funds due to our longs and treacherous journey, but surely we can offer our services elsewhere? My partner and me are very adept at fighting and would be able to off protection against any that might attack you. If you allow us a place to stay you should not have to worry about defending yourselves for the rest of your journey. Also I am afraid I have not heard of this civil war, would you mind telling us a little bit about it?

True Golden Bear King of BLING Theocrass's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Charming Fey Brothel
    Londonium, Albion

He waved off her offer of food. "I don't have much of an appetite, right now."

They entered the kitchen together, and Josephine closed the door behind her.

He didn't say anything for a bit, merely leaning against the counter and gathering his thoughts. When he spoke, it was with great hesitance.

"Tell me ... what is the name of the country we are in? What is the name of the city we are in?"

Spoiler:
    Alfheim's response

When he heard her answer, he sighed in resignation.

"It is as I thought."

He looked her straight in the eyes, his expression honest and serious.

"I have never heard of either of those places. Where ever this is, it is a long way from my home."

Ask TIK - Where all your important life questions can be answered.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Irisviel von Einzbern (Lesser Grail)
    Tarbes, Tristain

To the uninformed observer, the white haired woman would have seemed to appear from thin air. Someone more informed, impossibly well informed would in fact observe a woman being dragged by both a conceptual, magical connection and a high dimensional swirling transport construct born of void magic. As the vessel for the Lesser Grail of the War, she had been able to notice the upcoming 'transport' as Kiritsugu was mesmerized by the -supposedly simple- evocation that'd call forth a Servant from one of the Heroes in the Throne of Heroes, but she was not able to do anything about it.

Knowing that she could not interrupt Kiritsugu, Irisviel ran towards Avalon and managed to reach it instants before her husband finished the summons. As she was whisked away, she could feel the sheath be filled with the prana of King Arthur before the connection was gone. Looking around, she saw as people of pure European ancestry dressed in clothes that hadn't been in use for centuries on Europe, which caused her to hug Avalon to her chest. The people that filled the small anachronistic town she was in gave her curious looks, never coming closer to her or looking anything but submissive.

Illya...thought Irisviel. She was certain that it had been the power of the Grail that had brought her, Kiritsugu and probably the other Masters to this other place but, would the Grail return them? Would she have to use the power of the grail to return to her daughter? While she mulled thoughts of her daughter, Irisviel was looking for an indication of the time, like a clock, hopefully. Failing to find even that, she shielded her eyes with her hand and scoured the heavens for the sun, to get at least a general idea of the hour. Before she found the sun, though, she found something else.

Two moons, one blue almost invisible against the day sky and one red, silent and oddly not foreboding, hung between the clouds. A difference like that would mean a radically different history of magic...

Even so, she still held Avalon and she still had to find Kiritsugu, win the Grail and return to her home. Drawing strength from having a clear set of purposes to be gained, Irisviel joined the flow of the people who were walking the streets, hoping to be lead to Kiritsugu or a place from where she could set out to find him. As she walked forwards, she passed a group of children playing by themselves.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Captain's Quarters, Airship Pequod
    Bound from La Rochelle, Gallia to Scarborough Port, Albion

Captain Einzben nodded as the lesser of the two noblemen before him spoke, offering their services in lieu of a direct payment. Given the recent unpleasantness around Albion (accompanied by an upswing of pirate activity in the skies), it might help to have a set of extra hands or two capable of pulling their own weight in battle, should it come to it. He didn't have that many magi among his crew, after all, and one or two extra might well be useful, depending on how powerful they were.

'There is the possibility that we may encounter a pirate flotilla, and while the Pequod is more than matched against a normal commerce raider, a group could be troublesome. Then too, if the navy decides to impound us for carrying gunpowder and other stores, we may have to fight our way free.

"I suppose we could come to an arrangement, as we do have an unused cabin," the sailor of the skies conceded, looking between the two as if to try and assess their capabilities. "I don't suppose either of you would be willing to disclose a few of your talents, that I could best judge how they might be of best use? As to the civil war in Albion, I'm not surprised you have not heard of it if you are indeed from a long ways away, since there are many who would not wish travellers to learn of the unease there. In short, the mad King James I, through his greed and wanton lusts, alienated the nobility which supported him, and so a rebellion has begun in an attempt to depose him. Notably, since most of the muster was raised by nobles, the rebels control much of the armed forces."

Charming Fey Brothel
    Londonium, Albion

"As you insist then, Sir Kariya," Josephine allowed, proceeding to the kitchens with the odd mage. One would think him hungry after his bath, but then the ways of nobles were sometimes strange, especially those with great...specializations in their arts.

She waited patiently for him to speak, not quite expecting the form the mage's query finally took.

"This is the White Country, called Albion," the girl replied, slightly puzzled that he did not know that. "And we are in it's capital, Londonium, during a civil war between the royal family and rebellious nobles."

Hearing that he was a long way from home, Josephine blinked, though she allowed no other trace of surprise to reach her delicate features.

'Wait...half dead? Possible water mage? Advanced age...'

Her mind brought up rumors of creatures and beings that had slept through the ages, from the time of the Founder till the modern day, terrible in their might yet sorely wounded at the closing of a great war of men and elves.

"If I may ask, where are you from, good sir?"

Emiya Kiritsugu
    Abandoned House

Kiritsugu grew suspicious when the talkative spy suddenly became silent, especially when it began to stretch on for several moments. A heartbeat later, his battle-honed instincts were screaming at him it was dangerous. Without hesitation, Kiritsugu called out to his Servant. “Saber!”

Suddenly, right after the word completely left his mouth, tendrils of lightning reached out for Kiritsugu faster than sound with a heat greater than the surface of the sun. If that struck him, Kiritsugu would die, but at a speed far surpassing sound, faster than lightning, Saber arrived. Before she had seemingly left the room, Kiritsugu had whispered to her to standby in case something happened. Just like before, her Magic Resistance easily nullified the spy’s magecraft. Before the lightning struck her, it hit an invisible dome and harmlessly dispersed into the atmosphere. Next, in the blink of an eye, she severed the spy’s head.

Kiritsugu approached the decapitated corpse and used his combat knife to cut off the ring. Now that he focused his senses on it, Kiritsugu could feel the familiar hint of prana and mentally chastised himself. How could he have missed this? Was he still disoriented from his arrival to this world? Or was his head preoccupied with unnecessary thoughts? Regardless he needed to shape up if he was going to win this war.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Tarbes, Tristain

Life in the farming village of Tarbes was simple, but rarely easy, as any of those who dwelt there could attest. Waking up with the sun, plowing the fields, watering the crops, dealing with any pests and such was a full time job in itself (not helped by the high prices that earth magi charged them to help make the soil richer), and one that demanded much effort with little reward save knowing that one would be fed, if naught else. Unlike nobles, they didn't have the luxury of time or excessive wealth, so they couldn't afford to lounge around or go to school, and thus were stuck in their lot in life - not that there was much room for social mobility in the first place, given that in most of Halkeginia, one was either born a noble (mage) or one wasn't.

So was the teaching of the Holy Church of the Founder, taught that God, through his Prophet Brimir, had gifted the nobles with magic, setting them apart from commoners, sanctifying them for a higher calling or rulership, that they might lead the unwashed masses in living virtuous lives. That nobles, by their nature, were simply greater than commoners, and thus should be respected and obeyed because of their abilities, which stemmed from the divine.

Sometimes, the commoners accepted this as truth, seeing the mighty feats that magic was capable of. At others, they began to doubt, seeing the many depredations and such nobles engaged in, flaunting their power as if it was merely what they deserved, instead of a gift. And there was resentment at times, but they knew things could not change - a commoner could not defeat a noble, and so things remained static.

Children though, were more innocent to these things, and so they missed the whispers about the silver-haired noblewoman who had appeared in town, walking amongst the commoners for some mysterious reason. They simply played, unaware, near the open field stretching into the distance, in which flowers of every sort bloomed.

A small group was playing with a ball when an errant gust of wind knocked the sphere from a boy's hands, where it rolled till it came to a stop in front of Lady Irisviel. One of the boys chased it down, paying little heed to anything except the object of play...until he stopped it and looked up to see a maiden with hair of snow and blood red eyes.

"...an angel..." he breathed...

Blog Entries
    Charming Fey Brothel
    Londonium, Albion

"Fuyuki City, in Japan. Do these words mean anything to you?" He asked, a spark of hope igniting in his chest.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Charming Fey Brothel
    Londonium, Albion

This time, Josephine allowed herself to raise one eloquent eyebrow.

"I'm afraid not, sir," she said, trying to break the news gently. "I have heard neither of Fuyuki City, nor Jah-pon. Might it be somewhere in the East, past the land of the Elves?"

Blog Entries
    Tokiomi Tohsaka / Archer
    Airship to Albion

“We can show you a little of our capabilities, but I recommend that we first go above so as not to destroy your cabin.”

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Captain's Quarters, Airship Pequod

"Very well then," Captain Einzben acknowledged, for he knew from experience that combat mages were usually rather...poor when it came to restraint of their abilities. Indeed, some of the most powerful ones could(allegedly) summon up tornadoes, set a city on fire with one spell, create virtual doppelgängers and more. He was particularly curious as to what the golden-armored man was capable of, given that his demeanour was suitable for a powerful knight. "Stubbins, if you would?"

"Yes, sir," the first mate said, saluting and then turning to the others in the room. "This way, gentlemen."

He led the way to the deck, where the canopy of the great trees of La Rochelle could be seen spread out beneath them, with many mooring ropes anchoring the ship to the ground for the moment, ready to be cast off at a moment's notice. It was quite plain to see that the ship was floating in the air, with ridged-wings on the side to help with lift.

"Whenever you are ready, noble sirs."

Blog Entries
    Tokiomi Tohsaka / Archer
    Airship to Albion

Following the man named Stubborns they arrived at the deck. Just from looking overboard Tokiomi could tell that this land used magic differently from his own world. He would need to use one of his more powerful spells in order to impress these people.

“Very well then I shall go first.” Holding the scepter he had been carrying with him out Tokiomi began to mutter a few words. The red jewel at the tip of the scepter began to glow with an enormous power. He then waved the scepter in front of him and finished the chant; there was a bright flash of light and a wave of fire rushed forth and over the ship. Surely anything caught in this devastating wave would be instantly incinerated.

He then spoke to Archer using their link. “Although you may not need to prove yourself in this land it may be best if you could show them a glimpse of your power should they dare to disobey you.”

“I suppose it would be best to entertain these fools.” With a bored and uncaring expression Archer walked up to the side of the boat and snapped his finger. Suddenly a torrent of swords rained down and into the forest below destroying everything its path.

When the deadly rain had finished all that remained was a barren wasteland of broken trees and dead animals. Archer then turned around and spoke with a proud and daring expression on his face. “You see this is what will happen to all that dare to disobey me.”

Blog Entries
    Charming Fey Brothel
    Londonium, Albion

Kariya collapsed immediately, his head spinning as he processed her words.

"Nononononononononononono-"

The words came out automatically, as he tried to reconcile the new world with the old one.

Could it be? Parallel worlds?

He gripped his head as it began pounding with pain.

Things had just gotten a whole lot more complicated.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Deck, Airship Pequod

Captain Einzben and First Mate Stibbons shared an odd look as the obvious magus performed a brief demonstration of his magic. By all respects, he seemed a decently ranked fire mage, using his sceptre to call forth a curtain of flame that rivalled a dragon's breath in power. Such could be very useful against any unwary pirates, as fire was the worst enemy of sailing ships, whether those on the oceans, or those that called the skies their own.

"An impressive demonstration, certainly," the captain acknowledged, before falling silent as the golden man suddenly conjured swords out of nowhere, which rained down on the treeport of La Rochelle, wreaking disproportionate destruction where they touched.

'...where did he get those swords, and how did they simply disappear after?' Einzben wondered, as he'd never seen anything like it. 'Even the most skilled earth mage would have to transmute them from something. Perhaps...'

"...the magic of the Firstborn, the original magic?" he whispered, swallowing as he looked upon the devastation. He seemed entranced for a moment, shaking his head at the thought of such power, but regained his focus a few instants later. "Well, gentlemen, you've more than proven yourselves. Let us be off then..."

'...before the authorities ask questions about what just destroyed part of their port facility.'

"Prepare to leave port," he ordered, as Stibbons relayed his commands to the rest of the crew. "Untie anchors! Set sail!”

The sailors followed orders, all the while complaining under their breath, expertly removing the ropes from the branches, climbing to the securing ropes on both sides, and released the sails.

Without the ties, the ship lurched in the air, sinking for a moment, then floated again with the power of the wind stones, climbing into the sky.

Charming Fey Brothel
    Londonium, Albion

Even someone who had seen as much of human nature as Josephine still had some compassion for her fellows, and so when the mage just collapsed piteously, the girl found herself at his side. She shook him slightly, prodding as if to check if he was ok, checking pulse and breathing.

"Sir...what's wrong? Sir!"

Blog Entries
    Tokiomi Tohsaka / Archer
    Airship to Albion

“Very well then. My partner and I would like to get a bit of rest and look over the map for a bit. Would you mind showing us to our rooms and showing us the map?”

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Deck, Airship Pequod

"Of course. Allow me the honor of attending to your needs personally, gentlemen," the captain replied, knowing well the value of cultivating powerful allies...and not angering those who had the ability to destroy one's ship in the the blink of an eye. "Happily, we do have a cabin available, one meant for noble guests such as yourselves, and I do hope you will find it acceptable."

He sent one of the deckhands to go to his cabin and retrieve one of his tomes - a collection of maps he had acquired some time ago, going over the various kingdoms of Halkeginia, and some of their notable cities -telling the lad to have it delivered to the guest quarters.

The room he showed them to, one level belowdecks, was slightly smaller than the Captain's quarters, but had a nice view out the stern window, and was the second largest compartment on the ship, with a bookcase with some assorted reading materials, two solidly built bunks, and other furniture.

"I'm afraid space is at a premium on a ship like this, but I hope you will find this acceptable," he said quietly, nodding as the scamper of footsteps came up from behind, and the deckhand delivered the book. "This is one of the rare Bartholi atlases, created in the last century. It is one of only one hundred of these volumes, so please take care of it. For now, I must return to the deck, as duty calls."

Blog Entries
    Charming Fey Brothel
    Londonium, Albion

Kariya gradually regained hold of himself. He stood, with Josephine's help.

"Yes-Yes, I'm fine. Or I will be, at least."

They stood there like that for a few minutes, as Kariya tried to reconcile the wildly conflicting information in his mind.

He had to make plans, and quickly. He didn't know if he was alone in this new world, or if the other Masters had come with him. But one thing was certain. If he was to make any difference at all, he had to do something. He would save Sakura.

But first, he had to find a way home.

He turned to regard his companion. "Josephine, you mentioned a civil war earlier ... if I were to side with either the rebels or the royals, who would you prefer it to be? Why? I know next to nothing about this land, and it would be nice to get your perspective."

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Charming Fey Brothel
    Londonium, Albion

"I see," Josephine said simply, her impassive mask slipping back over her features now that the situation had calmed down slightly. She hadn't expected the mage to just collapse in that manner, and now wondered if this was something she'd have to deal with for a while, since the battle would likely rage for a long time. "As to the civil war..."

Thinking of the great conflict, the girl sighed and shook her head.

To ask her which side she supported was a joke, really. Choosing between the oppressive royal family, who took as they wanted and gave not a care for anyone else, or for nobles who simply wanted greater control, without having to pay respects to a regulating party? Why would she choose either?

"The only worthwhile nobles in Albion died five years ago when the mad King killed his brother and his brother's viceroy," Josephine muttered, eyes growing dark as she thought back to a time before she had had to take up...her current profession. Her family had wanted her to become a seamstress in the city, as it was one of the centers of fashion, and with her skill with a needle they thought she would go far, and so they had sent her to Londonium from their home in Saxe-Gotha to see about finding a master. While in the city, she learned that Saxe-Gotha had been put to the torch, and everyone she knew killed by the thrice-damned King of Albion and his soldiers, nobles, commoners, and all. And thus, without options, without any financial backing, the daughter of a merchant had fallen far. "If only the Grand Duke had had a son or daughter, or if Mathilda of Saxe-Gotha lived, I might support her, but as it is..."

A deep shuddering breath.

"...neither side cares what happens to the commoners. They simply lust for power, without caring who gets hurts, who has to die for their petty whims, and so I wish they would be killed, every last one of them."