Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/zero project staff gathering

Blog Entries
    I see that you didn't get fazed with all the Internet codings and did a good job, justinefromlouw!! Well done!

As for what's next... I'm trying to finish Epilogue part 3 asap. Then I'll be slowly crawling through Heart of Freaks >.<

well, though I know almost nothing about internet coding, it'd be bad to be fazed by it when I'm a CIS major XD thanks for all the help though ^^

I'll continue to work on it, hopefully at a steady pace...

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Bargadiel's Avatar
    Wanted to say congrats to all who helped finish Fate/Zero. I would have loved to help if I could have, yet you guys were able to pump out a beautiful wording of a great series. It's an excellent thing you did in helping to share this with the rest of the world.

finished doing the last prologue for the first volume...

I was wondering, does everyone prefer American or British English?
    I shut my eyes in order to see~

Blog Entries
    ^ Thanks a bunch!

And Baka-Tsuki regulations says all projects MUST be in American English, so yeah we need to change all the Ss into Zs and cut out the u with words and all...

Reporting in... Almost done with Urobuchi's postface, just need one more day to finish up. Hi justinefremlouw n_n

ah I see, must've missed that but kinda expected it (although that is quite odd considering the fact that B-T accepts foreign languages)

I was just wondering because it seems to me that British English would be more appropriate for the context and feel of the story (considering that the story takes place outside of the U.S. and even the Association is in the British museum...)

well, I've been editing "American" style so far, but it's possible that I might have missed some subtle differences between the two (although I do live in the U.S. and have been for ten years now, the first English I learned was the "International English" aka "British English". Although American English is probably my "first" language by now, I tend to relapse in writing as the British English tends to offer a more expressionist style of writing than the pragmatic style developed by the American English)

But of course, I'll continue to edit the American English way ^^ sorry for the long rant...

EDIT: hi, Anserina ^^ Just saw your post after I first posted this...

Glad the forum is back and the translation is back on track =)

v4 postface, 100%

- - -

Postface

Urobuchi Gen

The re-creation of a so-called established work—is it a good or bad thing?

To be made into an animation, or a game, or a novel; a sequel, a spinoff… once, I had jumped for joy when I heard these news about my beloved work.

During my childhood, I had also greatly looked forward to another meeting with beloved characters; I looked forward to seeing their heroics again. Until today, these remembrances are all treasures from the bottom of my heart.

But after stepping over the threshold of the new century, when I heard this sort of information about my beloved work, I always furrowed my brow, and my chest was always full of unease.

Of course, sometimes this unease proves to be just paranoia. I also obtained many additional beautiful experiences from those sequels. But what is undeniable is that in many cases, all I feel is dejection, depression and the incomparable indignation of having the precious memories of your heart tarnished.

This so-called re-creation—is it a good or bad thing?

The ‘wish’ that it is ‘good’, until today still echoes in the bottom of my heart.

That feeling in the past, of hoping that the story would never end—to this day I have not forgotten it.

But, ‘feeling’ is calling out loudly ‘no’. Definitely nothing good can come out of this. A new method of manufacture only borrows the repute of the original and uses it to make money—that is all. Regardless of whether the sequel is good or bad, the appraisal and reputation will all be shared equally with the original author. In that case, who would be willing to pour their enthusiasm into the work? As long as the quality is passable, just sell a large quantity while the media is still stirring—this sort of situation has already repeated itself countless times. Now, what reason is there to let me optimistically believe that ‘this wish will definitely be communicated to the other party’?

‘Yes’, ‘reason’ very unwillingly says. It is hopeless.

Now, the otaku entertainment form that includes animation, games and light novels is currently producing large amounts of profit as an ‘industry’. Yes, it is already an ‘industry’. Marketing principles are driving the cycle of supply and demand in endless acceleration. In this system where the ideal is that the producer’s benefit is paramount, and there is a continuous supply of consumers, it is extremely foolish to proclaim a work finished when it exists only as a single commodity. A limited number of ideas, in the process of being turned into games, animation, comics, light novels or even made into figurines, from re-releases, to repackages, to anthologies, re-translations and remakes (1)… So-called ecology is reclamation and reuse, wringing dry every drop of usefulness from the original work. And the trust of the fans has also been challenged in the process of collecting these countless products.

Because, only the continuation of economic activity that has to do with the original work is the specific proof of ‘enduring love’.

And the problem of degeneration of the original material, caused by reclaiming and reusing, is as meaningless as asking about the quality of recycled paper. Since the buyer is only going on buying due to inertia, the seller will care even less. Just like that, the dynamism of the economy is stimulated; countless fathers feed their families on the income they gain from this. Will anyone question this?

There is money to be earned from re-creation. Re-creation will bring benefit to all kinds of people. If one were to stand up and deny this public welfare, he will suffer the people’s condemnation, which would leave behind painful memories. He will lose his friends, lose his sponsors, even lose his rice bowl. I, who have understood all this, am already a mature grown-up. I have already learnt to watch for people’s moods, to respect the common sense and practices of the industry, to master the traditional virtues of the Japanese that is to smile and say yes.

——Is re-creation a good or bad thing?

Of course, there is passion poured into this. But even more, it is an economic calculation.

Many sequels have been derived like this, along with many things that profane the original work that are flooding the world.

Walking in downtown Akihabara, I find that I cannot laugh no matter what. Surrounded by so many people who have the same interest, what is that negative feeling that is always entrenched in the bottom of my heart?

At last, I gave up trying to get to the bottom of it. Mm, I’m not good at holding on to those troublesome things. As compared to single-mindedly thinking very hard, it is still action that is more suited to my temper.

As compared to making irresponsible remarks to people, it would be better to make one re-creation that I acknowledge. As compared to those manufacturers, guys who are not involved and only know how to sigh are even more contemptible.

Of course, this is taking a very big risk. Even if one has extreme passion for the original work, if he does not have the skill needed to sustain it and the strength needed to finish it, he will definitely not succeed. And once he fails, the hazard is even more shockingly large. It is not only his reputation that will be damaged; even that which he loves will also be profaned.

But I wrote it anyway.

To me, writing is like raising flowers.

Attracted by the beauty of the flowers, this emotion bore fruit in my heart, and scattered its seeds. Precisely because the seeds remained in my chest, I fervently watered and put fertilizer, dreaming of letting the flowers that once had been now bloom again, and let everyone experience its beauty.

I don’t actually have any ideals or assertions, nor do I detest the ways of the world; much less do I have any uniqueness that merits commendation. It is only that, in my heart there are always seeds that I got from other people. I like shootout films, wuxia films, science fiction films; I like transformation heroes (2), monsters of the universe, and western vengeance shows. Precisely because this love has already almost broken out of my body several times, I chose this profession. So this which I do—each time is a re-creation. Since I am like this, then how can I accept that she is denied? If it were possible, I would really like to stick out my chest and cheer loudly for her. (3) Even though this re-creation industry before my eyes is empty of content, and does not know the meaning of shame, and is where parasites run rampant— I still believe that the joy of writing is an elegant emotion.

This book of mine, that wasted the entirety of more than one thousand and four hundred pages of paper for the sake of shouting out ‘I love Fate’, is now respectfully set before you.

This is a long and arduous fight. To be honest, I have poured immeasurable effort into this work. But from my perspective, this was all worth it. This is my answer; I hold on to this revelation every moment that I go through the process of creation.

Is re-creation a good or bad thing? … I think that after today I will not be troubled by this again.

I will gamble everything I have, and continue to write pieces that I am pleased with, and I will use this as evidence to deny all negative influence.

In short, it is like this. This is how the process of finishing these four books has taught me.

Suddenly looking back, I who had once intended to stop writing right here… who is to say that I was not saved by this work that is Fate/Zero?

Yes, I have derived my answer.

Dear readers, please be at ease. After today I, Urobuchi, will still continue to strive.

- - -

(1) 从重制版、新装版、文库版直至剪辑版、重译版和复刻版
    (2) 变身英雄
    (3) (… is the female 3rdperson pronoun a typo?)
    Last edited by Anserina; March 17th, 2011 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justinefremlouw View Post
    ah I see, must've missed that but kinda expected it (although that is quite odd considering the fact that B-T accepts foreign languages)

I was just wondering because it seems to me that British English would be more appropriate for the context and feel of the story (considering that the story takes place outside of the U.S. and even the Association is in the British museum...)

well, I've been editing "American" style so far, but it's possible that I might have missed some subtle differences between the two (although I do live in the U.S. and have been for ten years now, the first English I learned was the "International English" aka "British English". Although American English is probably my "first" language by now, I tend to relapse in writing as the British English tends to offer a more expressionist style of writing than the pragmatic style developed by the American English)

But of course, I'll continue to edit the American English way ^^ sorry for the long rant...
    Hello, Onizuka-GTO from Baka-Tsuki here! Glad no one took my username...

Anyway, regarding the use of American English, this is only a General Guideline, a minimum line to follow if there is no specific format/method devised.

For example your team thinks that using British English is better (always is IMO!), for certain characters, then you are welcome to do it.

This is why we have Specific Project Guidelines, which can be found here: F/Z Specific Project Guidelines

As always, Definition is up to the current active project team discretion based upon a mutual agreement.

If you have any problems please do not hesistate to contact any of the Baka-Tsuki Staff for any enquires.

I hope Beastlair regain it's footing again and hopefully recover some of the great translations it had.

As always, Baka-Tsuki are more then willing to host any Light Novel translation new or old from Beastlair, if only for that extra security.

P.S: Oh Brynhilde-chan, since we finally got access level properly redefined, I've upgraded your level access to Supervisor on the Wiki.
    Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; March 18th, 2011 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
    Hello, Onizuka-GTO from Baka-Tsuki here! Glad no one took my username...

Anyway, regarding the use of American English, this is only a General Guideline, a minimum line to follow if there is no specific format/method devised.

For example your team thinks that using British English is better (always is IMO!), for certain characters, then you are welcome to do it.

This is why we have Specific Project Guidelines, which can be found here: F/Z Specific Project Guidelines

As always, Definition is up to the current active project team discretion based upon a mutual agreement.

If you have any problems please do not hesistate to contact any of the Baka-Tsuki Staff for any enquires.

I hope Beastlair regain it's footing again and hopefully recover some of the great translations it had.

As always, Baka-Tsuki are more then willing to host any Light Novel translation new or old from Beastlair, if only for that extra security.

P.S: Oh Brynhilde-chan, since we finally got access level properly redefined, I've upgraded your level access to Supervisor on the Wiki.
    thanks for actually replying to my post ^^

It was merely a thought, I am simply someone who wishes to improve the overall quality of the work, so it's not as if I'm trying to impose my interpretations upon everyone >.< I'm perfectly fine with doing it the way that will satisfy everyone

After this is finished... KnK still needs finishing up.
    In Progress: Melty Blood
    Complete: Garden of Sinners, Fate/stay night, Tsukihime, Tsukihime Plus+Disc, Kagetsu Tohya

Hi, this is something I normally wouldn't care to notice, but since my fiend pointed me out.

Act 16, Part 4
    The scene after Rider's death
    "Boy, are you Rider's Master?"
    "No. I'm - his servant."
    When you use the word "servant" here, it could confuse people with Fate's unique Master/Servant term, and might even make the serious scene comical.

Also in the same chapter:
    "Waver Velvet. Would you be a servant, and serve me?"
    His entire body shook with violent emotions. Then, like the bursting of a dam, floods of tears poured out.
    " - You, are my King. I will serve you. I will give my all for you. Please, guide me. Please let me see the same dream."
    I would suggest "follower" and "follow" but what do you think?
    Japanense word used her is 臣下 by the way.

ombapho from baka-tsuki, reporting for duty, Master!

Let's wrap things up!

For Evo,

because in that particular scene, if you noticed from the entire novel (not only the 4th one), the relationship between Rider and Waver is somewhat paradoxical.

Also, if you have read the next day epilogue. It is stated that Waver regret having Rider to go on his own way during the last battle... and Waver truly respects Rider from deep in his heart. At first, he saw Rider only as tools, but later..it changed into pure respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ombapho View Post
    Also, if you have read the next day epilogue. It is stated that Waver regret having Rider to go on his own way during the last battle... and Waver truly respects Rider from deep in his heart. At first, he saw Rider only as tools, but later..it changed into pure respect.
    Doesn't that make "follower" totally better then?

The English audience won't experience the difference between 臣下 and Servant, which are slightly different in Japanese.

Blog Entries
    @Onizuka-sama: Thanks so much for hosting us at Baka-Tsuki . And ohh, I'm Supervisor now? Thanks a bunch! . As for American/English styles, I think we have established that we'll go with American ever since Baiken and Wingzero began it years ago, so we won't be changing that from scratch.

@Evo/ombapho: I have to say that is one 'tricky' phrase. That phrase not exactly "servant", nor "follower", but... Evo knows what I mean :P. Tha't being said, however, I do wonder if Canon was trying to make a vague double entendre on the change in Waver's psyche. Personally, I've never had people saying to me that they get confused with the normal idea of a servant and a Nasuverse Servant when the two terms are mentioned in one breath, so I'd say that it's ok for now. Unless we agree that 'follower' is much more appropriate

@Everyone: sorry, I haven't finished Epilogue. Life had been shitty this month. The landlord wants to sell out house and my family has been trying hard to find another place to live, and we've had our fair share of fights with each other, which doesn't make translations come easier. And uni on top of it all... you get the idea. Still doing it though. Will get it out asap to the best of my ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Brynhilde View Post
    @Everyone: sorry, I haven't finished Epilogue. Life had been shitty this month. The landlord wants to sell out house and my family has been trying hard to find another place to live, and we've had our fair share of fights with each other, which doesn't make translations come easier. And uni on top of it all... you get the idea. Still doing it though. Will get it out asap to the best of my ability.
    Not everyday you see someone from NZ addicted to the epicness that is Nasuverse... Anyways, I know this may be asking for a lot but do you have an ETA as to when the epilogue, theoretically, could be completed? A vague estimation is fine.
    Image editor for the Fate/hollow ataraxia English Translation Project

@Evo/ombapho: I have to say that is one 'tricky' phrase. That phrase not exactly "servant", nor "follower", but... Evo knows what I mean :P. Tha't being said, however, I do wonder if Canon was trying to make a vague double entendre on the change in Waver's psyche. Personally, I've never had people saying to me that they get confused with the normal idea of a servant and a Nasuverse Servant when the two terms are mentioned in one breath, so I'd say that it's ok for now. Unless we agree that 'follower' is much more appropriate
    I don't think I was trying to do that... but anyway, I don't like using the same word to translate two different terms, so I don't know what happened here. It should probably be changed.

Though I think "serve" should be retained as the verb, IMO "Will you follow me" is a bit vague.
    <%canaki> can we move the toast down to be emergency pantsu and put the boiled egg in her mouth
    My stuff | GO stuff | YouTube | Twitter

^ If I may...perhaps, something along the line of...
    "Waver Velvet. Would you be my subject, and serve me?"