Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/zero project staff gathering

Quote Originally Posted by Brynhilde View Post
    Put the last two sections of f/z on B-T (finally). We have truly finished f/z proper...

@terraablaze: I stand by our translation of 'the star that splits open Heaven and Earth', because frankly that's what the Japanese literally said. It also refers to the fact that Ea is, in fact, the divine power that separated light and darkness, Heaven and Earth, and all manners of polarity out of the singular, identity-ness primeval chaos that existed before the world was created. Therefore, it is the very force of Creation, the power of 'creating something out of nothing', a god in itself. That's why it's an anti-WORLD Noble Phantasm. It's not an anti-EARTH NP (which would be the case if it's just going to create crustal deformations). It can destroy not only the Earth, but any other world, and not through something physical like causing crustal deformations.

@sharingan: I'll visit... If I manage to squeeze out translations once in a while
    How odd. I wonder why arai said otherwise at first (it was arai right?). I realize the distinction between World and Earth I just thought the imagery was suiting because people usually associate the two.
    Seems I was mistaken though, all well thanks for responding and keep up the good work.

deadfish
    Technically. 地殻 is still referring to the top layer over here.
    [IMG=http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7461/800pxearthcrustcutawaye.png][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote Originally Posted by deadfish View Post
    Technically. 地殻 is still referring to the top layer over here.
    [IMG=http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7461/800pxearthcrustcutawaye.png][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Now I am just confused.
    *looks up where tectonic plates are*
    Looks like tectonic plates are parts of the lithosphere and the crust it there top layer. So that means deadfish is right?
    Anyone who knows enough Japanese and Geology want to sort this mess out?

/knows a bit of geology but doesn't know Japanese.

Tectonic plates are huge chunks of the Earth's crust that "floats" over the mantle (magma/molten rock), somewhat similar to the sheety stuff that floats over the coffee with milk. (how do you call that in english?)

Crustal deformation is the deformation of the crust that can occur due to the shifting of the tectonic plates (can be caused by other stuff, but I'll keep it simple). For example, in some parts of Earth, this huge chunks of "floating" crust are constantly "ramming" against each other (this). A whole lot of different types of crust deformation occurs at this "subduction zones", including the formation of mountain ranges, folding of rocks, etc. Earthquakes and formation of volcanoes are highly related to this kind of events btw.

In other words, crustal deformation is just a general term that refers to different types of rock/crust deformation (folding, faulting etc). This deformation is caused by other events such as plate tectonic activity, volcanism, intrusions and even glaciers or meteorite impacts.

Imo, Ea having enough power to cause crustal deformation is hardly "planet killer" force. Unless the dude deforms the crust and makes it store so much energy that the earthquake produced by that thing would knock out Earth out of orbit thus changing Earth's distance to the sun thus destroying the atmosphere thus... well, you get the idea. And even then, at worst Earth would become another Mars. Gilgamesh would need to ram Earth against another planet to actually destroy Earth.

Blog Entries
    天地乖離す開闢の星 doesn't have the word '地殻' in it though

Quote Originally Posted by alex321123 View Post
    /knows a bit of geology but doesn't know Japanese.

Tectonic plates are huge chunks of the Earth's crust that "floats" over the mantle (magma/molten rock), somewhat similar to the sheety stuff that floats over the coffee with milk. (how do you call that in english?)

Crustal deformation is the deformation of the crust that can occur due to the shifting of the tectonic plates (can be caused by other stuff, but I'll keep it simple). For example, in some parts of Earth, this huge chunks of "floating" crust are constantly "ramming" against each other (this). A whole lot of different types of crust deformation occurs at this "subduction zones", including the formation of mountain ranges, folding of rocks, etc. Earthquakes and formation of volcanoes are highly related to this kind of events btw.

In other words, crustal deformation is just a general term that refers to different types of rock/crust deformation (folding, faulting etc). This deformation is caused by other events such as plate tectonic activity, volcanism, intrusions and even glaciers or meteorite impacts.

Imo, Ea having enough power to cause crustal deformation is hardly "planet killer" force. Unless the dude deforms the crust and makes it store so much energy that the earthquake produced by that thing would knock out Earth out of orbit thus changing Earth's distance to the sun thus destroying the atmosphere thus... well, you get the idea. And even then, at worst Earth would become another Mars. Gilgamesh would need to ram Earth against another planet to actually destroy Earth.
    That is okay, most people on the thread do not believe that Gilgamesh could use Ea to destroy earth anyway, at least not directly.
    I was pushing for crustal deformation (assuming it is accurate) because:
    1) earthquakes are powerful enough that they can cause worldwide changes (such as the recent event off the coast of Japan apparently did, changing the axis of rotation and such) which sort of fit Ea's returning to the truth, wrecking Reality Marbles and such.
    2) I think Gen could just be using poetic language hear, I am not a big of literalist as most people are with there fiction, to some degree I do not think it matters.

Tectonic plates moving about could work I just felt that crustal deformation was more precise langauge

@Brynhilde and deadfish
    Are you people using different texts? Are there different versions out?
    You might want to check if one of you has the reprint. Editors often change things between editions without the author's permission.
    Trust me I know.

Edit:
    NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH EDITORS.

well, not anymore than with anything else but philosophy later
    Last edited by terraablaze; April 5th, 2011 at 04:24 PM.

deadfish
    Brynhilde, I think we're talking about something different.
    There was some mention in the text of Ea's rotating pieces each moving with the force of 地殻変動. I, and I don't think terrablaze is either, not talking about the name of the weapon.

@ terrablaze: From deadfish's comment I think crust movement is specific/literal enough for whatever it is the author wants to depict. And now that I see the context I can say that Ea's pretty freaking powerful if it's able to exert (or is compared to) the same amount of force needed to move the crust of Earth. I mean, some earthquakes are a result from one plate getting stuck against another. The plate keeps pushing/exerting force and the energy released from exceeding the rock's stress limit can generate 9+ earthquakes for that part of the plate only. Strongest quake recorded yielded the equivalent of 27.6 Exajoules. Amount of energy yielded by all the nuclear weapon testing up to 1996 (wiki) was 2,135,000 Terajoules.

27.6 Exajoules = 27,600,000 Terajoules.

~Ha!

And Ea haves what? Three cylinders rotating with enough force to move billions of tons of rock?

In my eyes, Exalibur just got shafted.

Anyway, I just wanted to post that. Back to lurking.

Blog Entries
    Right... sorry, I thought terraablaze was talking about Ea's name when he said 'the descriptioin of Ea'.

Which volume would that be in, btw? Or is this somewhere in F/sn?

@ terrablaze: From deadfish's comment I think crust movement is specific/literal enough for whatever it is the author wants to depict. And now that I see the context I can say that Ea's pretty freaking powerful if it's able to exert (or is compared to) the same amount of force needed to move the crust of Earth. I mean, some earthquakes are a result from one plate getting stuck against another. The plate keeps pushing/exerting force and the energy released from exceeding the rock's stress limit can generate 9+ earthquakes for that part of the plate only. Strongest quake recorded yielded the equivalent of 27.6 Exajoules. Amount of energy yielded by all the nuclear weapon testing up to 1996 (wiki) was 2,135,000 Terajoules.

~Ha!

And Ea haves what? Three cylinders rotating with enough force to move billions of tons of rock?

Lol nice, I guess that is cool.
    I will admit I wanted the change partly because Dartz said something about it not being impressive because of some numbers he found or something (at least I remember something like this happening) about tectonic force being really weak.
    I guess in the end if you don't know a lot about Geology it will kind of fly over your head anyway, but I feel the term (whatever it may be) should be accurate so pedants (or anyone curious for that matter) who want to look it up can do so.

Thanks for posting right away, I probably should have manned up and registered when this first came up.

Also thanks to our translators for putting up with me.

Maybe we should compromise and make a reference to this controversy in the translator's notes. I do not remember seeing too many of those in the later sections.

deadfish
    Quote Originally Posted by Brynhilde View Post
    Right... sorry, I thought terraablaze was talking about Ea's name when he said 'the descriptioin of Ea'.

Which volume would that be in, btw? Or is this somewhere in F/sn?
    We're (or at least I'm) talking about the Gilgamesh vs. Rider fight.

~Ha!

Excalibur is a sword forged by fairies, it's beyond the realms of earthly forces, even if it is some million terajoules...

btw, the full text link for vol 4 is missing the interlude...
    I shut my eyes in order to see~

Thank you very mucho! You guys are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by justinefremlouw View Post
    Excalibur is a sword forged by fairies, it's beyond the realms of earthly forces, even if it is some million terajoules...

btw, the full text link for vol 4 is missing the interlude...
    Nasu said in Complete Material 3 that Ea's output was the same as or a little bit more than Excalibur, it is the "killing the World" concept that seems to rape everything.
    So it's more like both swords got a huge boost to shoot down any claims about what they do being replicable by other parts of the Nasuverse. As well as a boost compared to other verses, you know if your into that sort of thing.

Okay lets stop talking powerlevels in the translation thread, if we need to talk about this more we can do it in General Discussion and maybe distract people from all the butthurt over Archer (I don't think I have seen this level of rage in Beast's Lair in a long time)

Edit: @deadfish
    Yeah that is the part I am talking about, really should have addressed this when it first came out instead of lurking this whole time. Sorry.
    It seems like something about tectonic movement making earthquakes might work judging from what alex said, but I will leave it to you guys to decide whether to change it and you might clarify this.
    Last edited by terraablaze; April 6th, 2011 at 07:44 AM.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Bargadiel's Avatar
    Congratulations on finishing Fate/Zero! I've been keeping an eye on this project since you guys began the second volume, and I am very grateful that you took the time to do it. Maybe when I finish learning Japanese I'll be able to provide help to you guys in future projects.

On another note, what is Heart of Freaks about, exactly? I have the Tribute arts book and noticed it in there awhile back.

oh, was wondering, does anyone know what Ha is going to do regarding his "book binding PDF" for Fate? It seems that he hasn't made a thread (or an account for that matter)

Blog Entries
    @arai/fish-san: I'll look into 16.4 and get back to everyone on this thread. It's gotta be in 16.4 somewhere.

@Bargadiel: Heart of Freaks is a gaiden about young Kiritsugu going on a mission with Natalia. It's writen by an author who's a fan of Urobuchi/Nasu so I'm not sure it's canon or not. Something about a zombie village. It's noteworthy for us diehard fans cos it shows us Natalia's magecraft.

Speaking of, does anyone have a particularly strong desire to translate Heart of Freaks? It's so damn long.

@justinefremlouw: I'm trying to find Ha again in the endless ocean of the Internet. I have no idea where else he's affiliated with. Does anyone know anything else about him...???

Or at least, does anyone have a copy of the book binding PDFs and the instructions on printing (or instructions on how to make one)? I was hoping we could get it updated when editing is done ^^

Gah, I can't make the PDF exactly just like "Ha" style....

But somehow I still can do some PDF making....
    It will take some time though....

The hardest part is maintaining the page coherence with the images and others

By the way, any info on image translation? You know those kanji's (arggghhhhh) that appears in the images, if it is done (wish) want to compile it together with the PDF's

Yea, I can make normal pdf, but I was thinking of actually printing it at my uni, since it's free anyway, and I thought it'd be cool to have it physically LOL
    As for image TL, didn't someone do those a while back? I believe most images have captions under it that is TL of it, right?