Page 1 of 9 1236 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling Card (Psyren x FSN - Nasuverse)

Calling Card (Psyren x FSN - Nasuverse)

Calling Card

Summary: Shinji Matou had been looking to redeem himself after the Holy Grail War, but wasn’t certain how to. Then he learned about a crimson calling card labeled Psyren. Saving the future would be a good starting point.

Rating: Mature – Violence, Swearing, Mild Sexual Themes (Nothing overt)

POV: 1st Person

Tense: Present

Type: Crossover

Special Thanks to:

• FateOnline of Fanfic(dot)net for initial ideal.
    • Siriel from Beast’s Lair for advice.
    • daniel_gudman & Azure of The Fanfiction Forum for world-building.

Chapters:
    Arc 1 - Chapter 1 (This Post)

Extra Note: So I got the idea for this and have been working on refining it for the last month. Feedback welcomed to help flesh out development.

Arc 1 - Chapter 1

CHAPTER START

I descend into Hell as I dream. My sins crawl up my body in the form of tenebrous hands, reaching up from the ichorous slurry to drag me into the abyss. No matter how much I struggle, I can’t break free.

(No, stop! I’ve changed!)

They pull and the world becomes black. The punishment begins. The stygian mud drowns me in the evils of Man for the indulgence of rape—gifting the accumulation of sins with the violation of the mind, body, and heart.

(I won’t do it again! I swear!)

The body is kept intact to bleed endlessly, oozing out acrid curses to consume the world in ink and paint the canvas of Earth into a portrait of Hell. Sitting atop a throne of bulbous flesh, I become the king of a world of sludge beneath a blood-red sky—a kingship that has no worth in a world without humans.

(Please, stop!)

I find myself committing the most heinous acts of depravity born of Man, my body reenacting the worst sins of humanity as the victimizer, imbibing the twisted pleasure they feel. Then I take the place of the victim, and learn what it means to be defiled and tormented. Like that, the mind is bombarded by the whim of an angry god that pays evil unto evil, but is never allowed to break and gain the reprieve of insanity.

(Stop, stop, stop—!)

I suffer from a pain that transcends flesh and bone for the sin of being human. The filthy soul is exposed to All the World's Evils, but not blackened by it. That ensures the horror can never be accepted with oneself, thus the suffering remains endless.

It hurts. It hurts! IT HURTS! HELP ME! SAVE ME! KILL ME!

(Just let me die! Please… just let me die…)

No. The suffering must continue. The path to salvation is nowhere to be found in the pitch.

Atonement starts in the pits of Hell, an endless suffering that eclipses death as the penalty for violation in the name of respect.

“Bear witness to the crimes of humankind, and never know the ignorance of their sins again.”

That is the decree of the one who oversees the cursed world, Angr

I wake up screaming as the rays of the morning sun burn away the vivid nightmare. Then cascading purple hair blocks the light. It frames Sakura's face as she hovers over me.

“Nii-san! Can you hear me!?”

Her eyes are wide with worry. Her hands are clutching my sweat-soaked shoulders, fingers tensed. Had she been shaking me awake?

I stop screaming and start gasping for air, blinking away the tears that sting at my eyes.

She speaks softly as her eyes continue to peer into mine. “Are you okay?”

“I’m…” Please… just let me die…“I’m fine… just a nightmare.”

Her hands drift back to her lap as I sit up and rub my throat. It feels raw on the inside. I must’ve been yelling for awhile—longer than usual.

“But I couldn’t wake you up for over five minutes this time.” Her right fingers find their way onto my head, feeling the cold sweat on the hot surface. “Your nightmares are getting worse.”

I move her hand away. “I just need stronger sleeping pills then.”

Her eyes turn to the nightstand by the bed, where she sees the bottle. She reaches for it and inspects the label and contents. Her frown of concern deepens. “You’ve already gone through this many in two weeks?”

Of course I have. I haven’t had a decent night’s sleep ever since that damn Gilgamesh shoved that albino brat’s heart into me, claiming it would give me the Holy Grail. I can’t remember that time clearly, but when I dream it returns. The sleeping pills help, but the moment I enter the fringes of the waking world, the crimes of humanity stand at the gate to pull me back.

“I’ll just get more later.” I shove aside the covers as Sakura sits up from the edge of my bed. “Anyway, what time is it?”

“Around 6 in the morning, Nii-san.”

I groan softly as I take her place on the edge. My T-Shirt is clinging to my body and my pants feel heavy as well. I feel filthy in general, but I’ve become accustomed to that. Still, my sheets are soaked and will need to be washed. The last thing I need is to come home and find out the stench has seeped into the mattress.

Sakura is dressed like she’s ready to leave the house. No sense in asking her to take care of it then. “I’m taking a shower. If you’re going to that idiot Emiya’s place for breakfast then get going.”

“Are you sure you’re alright?”

“I said go. Don’t make me repeat myself.”

She nods her head. “Then I will see you at school, Nii-san.”

I wait until she leaves and shuts the door before I muster the effort to get onto my feet. I have to get to the Archery Club soon and open the range for the other early-risers. Ayako used to handle that, but over the last few months she’s been late coming in. And then she sleeps in the club office most of that time anyway.

I don’t know what kind of game she’s running, but what was the point in visiting me in the hospital six months ago if she was just going to start slacking off instead? She asked me to help with getting the club back into shape, so things would be smoother for when Sakura took over as the Captain. At the time, I didn’t think that meant I would do everything.

I shower and clean myself up, putting the sheets in the wash afterwards. Then I slip into my uniform, grab a can of coffee from the refrigerator, and head out the door.

The streets are quiet as always as I walk them alone to the school. There aren’t really all that many people up at this time. Yet, somehow, the Student President ends up walking up to the gate at the same time I do.

“Early again, Matou?” he asks, while looking as bland as ever.

I shrug. “Well, someone has to open up the club. Since Fujimura-Sensei isn’t in yet and Ayako has been slacking off, it falls onto my shoulders. Honestly, the women of this school leave a lot to be desired when it comes to getting things done.”

He makes a slightly unpleasant face before schooling his features. Then pushes up his glasses by the bridge and says, “I suppose you are entitled to your opinions.”

“…What was that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing you need to concern yourself with.”

I watch as he walks off. It feels as though I’ve just been slighted, but I don’t have the energy to say anything back or deal with him. Not before the canned coffee kicks in.

I fight down the displeasure in my chest and just get things at the archery range ready for the morning.

By the time homeroom is about to start, there’s still no sign of Ayako. She didn’t even show up at the range this morning, despite her brother saying she went out ahead of him. Is she running off and leaving all the work to me on purpose?

As if that wasn’t annoying enough, the door into Class 3-A is blocked by two people I don’t want to see at the moment—Emiya and Tohsaka. They had gotten more cordial over the last few months, so them having a deep conversation wasn’t a surprise. But I’ve been trying to keep my distance since the end of the war, something that is incredibly hard when they are blocking my way.

Emiya is the first to notice me. “Good morning, Shinji.”

“I don’t see anything good about it.” I ignore Emiya for a moment and turn to the other one. “The bell is about to ring. If you want your standing in the school to remain on point, you should hurry up and get to your homeroom.”

She brushes her hair over her shoulder in a conceited manner. “I’m merely conversing with a fellow classmate. There’s no crime in that is there, Matou-kun?”

“It is when you’re blocking the way. Hurry up and move.”

“I’m about done anyway.” A small, smug smile comes onto her face. “Speaking of standings, you should work on pulling up your grades. I’ve heard if they slip any lower you’ll be forced out of the Archery Club.”

I grit my teeth as the smug bitch walks off. I don’t know what I ever saw in her. Or, judging by the look that Emiya has, what he sees in her.

He turns to me. “Shinji, are you actually okay? Sakura has told me that you’ve been having trouble sleeping lately.”

Why did Sakura even feel the need to run her mouth about my issues to this idiot? I doubt it’s something he can help me with, even if he was the type of idiot who would try. I need to have a word with her about that later on. “I just built up a tolerance to the sleeping pills I’ve been taking. That’s all.”

Emiya’s expression shifts to a more serious look. “Shinji, whatever you still have against Tohsaka, if it might an after-effect of what happened that day then—”

Stop, it hurts! It hurts! It’s growing! IT’S GROWING! HELP! HELP ME!

I push past him as the memories threaten to surface because of his words. I don’t want to remember that time. I don’t want to remember that pain of having countless worms violating me from the inside out as the grail turned me into a swollen mass of flesh.

That gorilla, Gai Gotou, laughs about something loudly in the seat in front of mine as I sit down. I actually listen to his jabbering for the rest of homeroom in an effort to repress the memories of that night. I glare at Emiya the entire time from the corner of my eyes.

Damn him for reminding me.

I walk towards the range to find Sakura after class ends. We need to have a talk about her bringing up things that don’t concern her to others. Of all people, she should understand the desire to keep things hidden away.

“I’m sure I saw Mitsuzuri-san with one today—”

Ayako’s name being mentioned grabs my attention as I near the entrance to the range. The voice came from the side of the building, so I look over it to see three girls from the track team. The one speaking is Kane Himuro, the daughter of the mayor of the city, if I remembered right.

“—the red card with rumors floating around about people suddenly dropping dead after they use it. I saw her from the window looking down at it.”

Now that she mentioned it, there have been several cases of people suffering from Sudden Death Syndrome over the last few months. There was no official explanation, but, according to her, there’s some urban legend going around that receiving a red card marks you for death. It sounds ridiculous, but Himuro is a bit of a rumormonger—despite acting otherwise a lot of the time.

“I don’t think that’s really true,” says the mousiest of the bunch, Yukika Saegusa. “If that was really the case, there would be a public announcement given how there’s been an increase all over the world.”

Kaede Makidera, the loudest of the trio, rounds out her argument with logic. “Yeah, I don’t think she’d get involved with something like that either way. You might be taking these rumors too seriously.”

They both have a point. But there is a case where the public wouldn’t be informed—if it has something to do with magecraft or that side of the world. Even so, while that might work on a small scale, like with Caster and Rider, I don’t think that it can operate on a global scale for this long. Not when it attracts this much attention.

Not to mention Tohsaka would be all over it given she and Ayako often talk to one another. If she really is incompetent enough to let that slide under the radar, it’d be an embarrassment. Not that I wouldn’t love to rub that in her smug face, but it’d be just as embarrassing for me if I point her in one direction and it turns out to be nothing.

I deal with her enough as is every time I see that smug look on her face after that day.

The trio leaves toward the track field after that. There’s nothing new I can learn from just standing there, so I go inside.

The constant sound of arrows pelting targets blend into the background as I enter the range for the second time that day. It’s a lot livelier than this morning. That normally meant more work for me, but Sakura acts as my proxy for the time being to gain more experience. That way, when Ayako finally passes over the title of 'Captain', the transition will be smoother.

She's still too passive compared to Ayako when it comes to keeping people in line. But she’s improving with every club meeting. And, if anyone gives her trouble like they did when she joined up, I’ll step in.

Right now she’s helping Ayako’s younger brother with his aiming. The kid’s not bad. I’ve seen him on his own and he’s a decent shot, so he shouldn’t need help. Then I catch the glance he gives Sakura while she helps him lineup a shot and see that he’s more interested in her….

I make a note to deal with him at a later date as Sakura looks in my direction. I silently gesture for her to come to me.

She excuses herself to do so. “Yes, Nii-san?”

“Is Ayako in today?”

She nods and looks towards the door where the Captain’s room is. “She said that she wasn’t feeling well and wanted to be left alone. If there was an emergency then I was supposed to get either you or Fujimura-Sensei.”

If that was the case, then she probably wouldn’t be awake any time soon. I’ll use the chance to search around for that card, if it really does exist. Even if I can’t use magecraft, if there’s something magical about it then Sakura or the idiot could peg it—which reminds me of what I wanted to talk about in the first place.

“Sakura, don’t talk to Emiya anymore about what’s going on with me. It’s not something he or Tohsaka needs to be involved with, and I don’t want to repeat myself. Understand?”

Her expression shifts between wanting to say something and then returning to her submissive state. “I understand.”

“Then go back to what you were doing.” I watch as she turns away silently and goes back to the range, leaving me to my thoughts on what to do next. If Himuro was right, then Ayako has the card with her today. If that’s the case, I guess it’ll be best to start with the changing room.

I walk into the men’s section first to change for the club myself. Then I knock on the door of the women’s section to make sure no one is inside. Getting caught rummaging around in Ayako’s belongings isn’t something I feel like having to explain.

Once I was sure it was clear inside, it takes me less than a minute to go through her belongings. There’s no card to be found. I do, however, find what looks to be a makeshift survival kit. There’s some survival bars, water-bottles, a half-filled bottle of the same brand of sleeping pills I use, a pocket-notebook, two pens, and a black matchbook with the words ‘Copenhagen’ on it.

Copenhagen… Copenhagen… where have I heard that name before…

Ah, Emiya works there from time to time. It’s a bar, if I remember right. Why does she have this?

I look into the pocket-notebook to find it filled with dates and scribbles about something called ‘Taboo’ with inhuman descriptions—like something out of a fantasy story or a nightmare. Is she having nightmares and recording them? Or is it something else…

I need more information… and I know just who to ask.

I walk out of the women’s room and back to the range. Ayako’s brother is standing alone now that Sakura is elsewhere, nocking an arrow. If there’s anyone who knows about this, it’ll be him. I just need to be smart in how I approach it.

I wait until he fires his shot before I call him. “Mitsuzuri. I need to have a word with you about your sister. ”

He stares in my direction with a look of disinterest. “What about her?”

“There’s rumors flying around that she’s been hanging around at an unsavory bar these days. And when you consider her behavior lately, on top of the earlier rumors, it paints an unpleasant picture.”

His look of disinterest turns into a glare. He acts all uncaring and distant, but it looks like I struck a nerve after all. “What exactly are you implying?”

I smirk. “I’m not implying anything. Rather, I’m offering to clear up this mess if you can tell me where exactly it is that she’s going to. What you say could decide if things are better for her or worse if it reaches Fujimura. It’d be terrible if she ends up being forced to retire from the club in her last year, if not leave the school entirely.”

He hesitates for a moment, but he talks. “She’s been going to the Temple at the top of the mountain for the last few months to train in the martial art they practice. If you don’t believe me, ask that Ryuudou guy on the Student Council.”

A picture starts to form in my head when I recall what the Student President said earlier. He knew about whatever is going on with her. That’s why he said what he did. There’s something connecting him, Ayako, and the Copenhagen together. But the only solid link between them is…

It’s Emiya.

That’s the main link I can think of. But I can’t imagine him having anything to do with involving ordinary people in events from the other side of the world. That idiot’s line of thinking falls in the other direction.

So that leaves the card that Himuro mentioned. “Now that you mention it, I have seen him talking to her and showing her a red card of some kind. Does she have it?”

“Why does that matter?”

“Proof,” I tell him. “If she has that card on her then, when it comes up, it’ll lend credibility to her alibi.”

“Then yeah, I’ve seen her with a calling card. She never leaves the house without it and usually keeps it on her, but she doesn’t like me looking at it.”

If she keeps it on her then it’s probably with her now in the room. I can go check while she’s asleep. “Well, if that’s the case then I’ll go tell Fujimura when I get a chance. It’d be a shame if she ended up disappointed in one of her favorite students because she got caught up in rumors like that.”

Leaving him behind, I make my way to the club room and find her asleep with her head on the desk. Her body rises and falls in a rhythm, undisturbed as I close the door as quietly as I can. Then, light as a feather, I wander over to the shelf next to the desk.

From there I eye the pocket of her hakama, spotting something red peeking over the edge of it. That must be the card Himuro was talking about. I keep my attention on the shelf as I inch closer and use two fingers to pull it out, bringing it to my face.

It’s a calling card of some kind, the words ‘Psyren’ printed on the front in some kind of cheap, English, gothic text. The red color abruptly turned black like paint being chipped off or worn away by weather to reveal what was underneath it in the top corner. Turning it over showed a phone number.

I barely finish running my eyes over the number before the world spins and I’m on the floor. My arm is behind my back, a calloused hand holds my face to the ground, and the card is away from me. I struggle to turn my head and catch the look Ayako is giving me with half-bloodshot eyes.

She looks pissed. “I can’t believe you actually went through my—”

I cut her off, my own voice louder. “I just picked up your card off the floor and this is the thanks I get?”

Her expression wavers and her hand eases up on my face, relieving the pressure. But she’s still on top of me. She didn’t buy it completely.

“What? You think I’m lying?” I struggle to get up, but it feels like I have a bunch of cement blocks on my back. “What about a stupid card is so important your first reaction after waking up is to throw me on the ground?”

She grits her teeth and her body tenses. But she doesn’t say anything. She just gets up and grabs her card, shoving it back into her pocket. “Don’t look or even think about it again.”

“If it’s so important to you then don’t leave it lying around like that.” I get back to my feet and dust myself off. There’s an ache in my arm and shoulder where she put me in a joint lock. “And why the Hell are you sleeping on the job anyway? You’re supposed to be out there helping the First Years.”

Her lips purse and she rubs the bridge between her eyes. “I’ve been tired lately. It’s nothing that you and your sister can’t handle. She's supposed to be taking the reins in a month or so anyway. That's what everyone agreed to with Fujimura-Sensei.”

“That’s not the point.” I let my anger at the pain in my shoulder bleed into my voice. “You told me that you wanted to get the club back into shape and begged me to help you. Remember that?”

She glares at me again. “I didn’t beg, I asked.”

“I’ve been doing more than my fair share, opening up and closing while you’ve been slacking off. And I put up with it until now. But if this is how things are going to be all the time, why don’t you just stay home instead of coming at all?”

Her head tilts down and her hair cascades over her eyes, obscuring them from sight. Her fist clenches like she wants to take a swing, tensing so tight her body trembles… then her hand goes slack and her body still.

“…Maybe I should….” Her voice carries a note of defeat in it so thick that it’s sickening to hear. There isn’t an ounce of competitive spirit left in her. “I’ll talk to Fujimura-Sensei about it tomorrow.”

I stare in silent disbelief. Ayako always put up a fight when she thought I overstepped my position before. Now she crumbles without a fight. I expect that from Sakura (something we were supposed to be trying to correct), but not her.

Had this been just a couple of months ago, I could see myself laughing at her being bought so low she’d give up everything without a fight. But after what she said when she visited me in the hospital, and the events that led to my extended stay… it just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to see her like this. Whatever her deal is with the calling card, it managed to do what Rider didn’t that day.

I really don’t like the thought of someone succeeding where I failed.

If this has something to do with a magus then I should leave it to Tohsaka. It’s her job in the first place. But, given how long Ayako’s been like this, if Tohsaka hasn’t found anything yet then she must be either blind or ignoring it.

The card is the key. If I could get my hands on one of those calling cards, then I could take it to Emiya instead. He can play the hero, Ayako can get help, and I can rub it into Tohsaka’s face all at once.

Ayako stiffens abruptly, as though a jolt of electricity went up her spine. A flash of fear crosses her face, and then her expression hardens. She looks me in the eyes. “Shinji, I’ll say this once more: forget the card and everything about it, otherwise you’ll regret it.”

After that vague warning, she walks out without another word and briskly heads for the changing room. Not five seconds later, she runs for entrance of the range with her belongings without even changing out of her club clothes. She ignores everyone who greets her as she leaves with a serious look on her face, and the other members of the club start staring at me like I’ve done something wrong.

I shut the door and pull out my phone. I have seconds at best her brother or Sakura comes to ask me what happened. No one else has the courage or concern to do it otherwise. So I dial the number while it’s fresh in my memories—

“The number you have dialed is not accepting calls at the moment. Please try again later.”

—and get an automated message right before there’s a gentle series of knocks on the door. It’s Sakura. It’s too soft for the alternative.

I save the number into my list of Contacts, under the name ‘Psyren’. I could call or try looking up the number online later on. For now, I do damage control….

The scope of my dream this time is a black canvas, dotted with vibrant stars. Something moves through the darkness, past the stars and Sun, sailing towards me…. no, it’s not heading towards me. I’m merely in the way.

(Is this outer space?)

Standing between the approaching mass and the Earth behind me, floating in the void, is a vaguely humanoid…thing that appears to be mimicking a human. It towers over me at seven feet tall, elongated and bone thin limbs drifting down to near the hem of a white coat with red fur trimming. Its bird-shaped, head-covering helmet is crooked at an angle as it observes me in curiosity.

(What are you supposed to be?)

Its limbs bend, bringing its hands up. It extends one towards me. There, in its talon-like fingers, is a calling card with the words ‘Psyren’ printed on the front in black on red—ink on blood.

(Oh… right, I finished that long-ass questionnaire while I was out eating and it said the card would be delivered to my house the next morning, even though it didn’t ask for an address.)

I reach out and grasp the card, only for crimson chains to emerge from it. They coil around my heart and brain like barbed-wire, anchoring them into place under the threat of tearing them to shreds.

(It hurts! STOP! STOOOOPPPP!!!!)

The thing-in-white grasps my head, grasps my brain—grasps my soul. It pulls it close until it’s touching the helmet covering its own. Then I hear its desire.

Those who risk their souls to traverse time, bear witness to the future. Hearken the summoning’s toll, know despair, and embrace power to change it. Such are the terms of the contract.

Too inhuman to register, yet clear as a cloudless sky, the message is burned into my brain by its pointed fingers. Then the thing-in-white releases me, and I fall to the Earth below.

I wake up at the sensation of falling down, despite being firmly on top of my bed sheets.

My head aches. My heart aches. They ache like the dream, the chain and barbed wire coiling around them within my body—within my soul.

It hurts, but I force myself to sit up in the bed. Then I catch a glimpse of something red on my nightstand. My heart stills and my mind freezes.

I want to label it as a dream. The moment I look at it is the moment it stops being a dream. It becomes real—the pain, the words, the white-thing that violated my mind and heart to bind them in chains and barbed wire, and the words themselves will all become real.

But if I lie back down and close my eyes, it’ll all be a dream….

BRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

The alarm clock goes off at full volume. The sudden noise draws my eyes to the nightstand on reflex, a hand already moving to hit the snooze button. The red calling card is there, between an empty glass and near-empty bottle of sleeping pills.

It ceases to be a dream.
    Last edited by Twi; September 10th, 2016 at 05:12 PM.
    “Yet the burden shall be shared by two entwined, from which the sword will part from the body and be bestowed upon the vassal to sacrifice themselves and cleave through space and time.”

“Mark upon this unworthy flesh the emblem of the sacrifice, the vassal whose death shall bring forth victory through the fields of steel and blood!”

“The oath is laid here. We are the ones who represent all the good within the pure lands, and we are the ones who judge what is evil within the pure lands. Thou, Seven Heavens clad in three mere words of unequal power, shall emerge from the spiral of control, O keeper of the balance—!”

Oh, fun! How often does a story actually leave the Idea Thread?

I am really looking forward to seeing more of this. This looks like a solid, believable take on a post-UBW Shinji trying to be less of an asshole and I think I'm going to enjoy seeing him be put through a different sort of grinder. Ayako and Issei can always use more love, too. It looks like you've diverged from the original Grail War idea, which is great.

Will Shirou and Rin eventually get involved anyway? I imagine they would have to notice what was going on at some point. Though I suppose Ayako must be avoiding Rin and Shirou like the plague if neither of them have noticed anything so far, which I assume would lead to her reading their minds like she did Shinji and in turn learning something from the magic side. Then again, given the way she reacted to Shinji thinking about getting Shirou and Rin involved, she might already have some inkling. That or she thinks they're all massive chuunis, which would be hilarious.
    Last edited by Andaeus; May 29th, 2016 at 10:31 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AvengerEmiya's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andaeus View Post
    Oh, fun!. How often does a story actually leave the Idea Thread?
    This is now my new signature forever.
    Fate/Grand Order Doujins That Don't Suck [Updated: 3/2]

Oh, fun!. How often does a story actually leave the Idea Thread?

I am really looking forward to seeing more of this. This looks like a solid, believable take on a post-UBW Shinji trying to be less of an asshole and I think I'm going to enjoy seeing him be put through a different sort of grinder. Ayako and Issei can always use more love, too. It looks like you've diverged from the original Grail War idea, which is great.

Will Shirou and Rin eventually get involved anyway? I imagine they would have to notice what was going on at some point. Though I suppose Ayako must be avoiding Rin and Shirou like the plague if neither of them have noticed anything so far, which I assume would lead to her reading their minds like she did Shinji and in turn learning something from the magic side. Then again, given the way she reacted to Shinji thinking about getting Shirou and Rin involved, she might already have some inkling. That or she thinks they're all massive chuunis, which would be hilarious.
    Yeah, the original idea got scrapped after some consultation on the Fanfic Forum, where I've done more fleshing out on the world-building. The new setting doesn't constrain me to the contents of the grail war, so I can expand greatly.

Shinji's trying to improve but he's not exactly the most pleasant of individuals, so working on that is part of his character development. Ayako and Issei have their parts along with a few others. Shirou and Rin... well, the second chapter covers why they aren't immediately involved, but Ayako and the other Drifters in Fuyuki aren't actually aware of the moonlit world. Even if she could read others mind (she can't), she actually has a sense of morals, and her reaction is more because she's been a drifter for about two months now and the mortality rate is horrifically high.

But, without wishing to spoil, Shirou and Rin do get involved once the first major change in the timeline occurs.
    “Yet the burden shall be shared by two entwined, from which the sword will part from the body and be bestowed upon the vassal to sacrifice themselves and cleave through space and time.”

“Mark upon this unworthy flesh the emblem of the sacrifice, the vassal whose death shall bring forth victory through the fields of steel and blood!”

“The oath is laid here. We are the ones who represent all the good within the pure lands, and we are the ones who judge what is evil within the pure lands. Thou, Seven Heavens clad in three mere words of unequal power, shall emerge from the spiral of control, O keeper of the balance—!”

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    This is now my new signature forever.
    Ha, cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Twi View Post
    Yeah, the original idea got scrapped after some consultation on the Fanfic Forum, where I've done more fleshing out on the world-building. The new setting doesn't constrain me to the contents of the grail war, so I can expand greatly.

Shinji's trying to improve but he's not exactly the most pleasant of individuals, so working on that is part of his character development. Ayako and Issei have their parts along with a few others. Shirou and Rin... well, the second chapter covers why they aren't immediately involved, but Ayako and the other Drifters in Fuyuki aren't actually aware of the moonlit world. Even if she could read others mind (she can't), she actually has a sense of morals, and her reaction is more because she's been a drifter for about two months now and the mortality rate is horrifically high.

But, without wishing to spoil, Shirou and Rin do get involved once the first major change in the timeline occurs.
    Hm, telepathy was the vibe I got from her reaction to Shinji, but I suppose he's just easy to read. Though she did jump to a slightly wrong conclusion, and then I guess ended up retroactively right.

That all makes sense, I'm still pretty stoked to see more. I am kind of surprised Shinji wouldn't try to engineer some method of bringing Rin and/or Shirou in the situation. Character development or not, I imagine he is still less concerned with risking their life and limb than he is with his own. Then again, a chance to gain powers of his own...I can also see wanting to keep that a secret if he thinks he can manage it.

Ayako didn't ping with telepathy, she was just slow to wake up when he pickpocketed her (for her own good, in his eyes). She's taking sleeping medicine like he is for her own issues, only hers weren't the result of being made into the core of the grail.

And... it's not so much that Shinji has a choice in the matter at the moment about involving Rin and Shirou. If you're familiar with Psyren then its established early on that trying to blab about it will get you instantly killed. Nemesis Q in this fic does things sightly different due to the changes in the universe, but that'll be covered in the next chapter.

Blog Entries
    Oh wow, I thought everyone had forgotten all about Psyren.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    psyren was good
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AvengerEmiya's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    psyren was good
    Extremely rare example of a shounen series that starts good, stays good, and then ends on a high-note before getting dragged out to oblivion.
    Fate/Grand Order Doujins That Don't Suck [Updated: 3/2]

They kind of rushed the ending with Nova, but it was good. It's a shame that it got canned early.... unlike some things that are still ongoing and could have ended before they jumped the shark. *cough* Bleach *cough*

The snark was a boojum
    despite her brother saying she left out ahead of him.
    Should probably be either 'left ahead of him' or 'went out ahead of him'

the door into Class 3-A is blocked by two people I didn’t want to see at the moment
    Consider whether you wan't to use 'don't' instead here due to tense

something that was incredibly hard when they are blocking my way.
    is

you should hurry up and get to your Homeroom.”
    No need to capitalise homeroom

“I just built up a tolerance to the sleeping pills I’ve been taken. That’s all.”
    been taking

I don’t want to remember that pain of having countless worms violating me from the inside out as the grail turned me into a swollen mass of flesh.
    'a' swollen mass of flesh

I actually listen to his jabbering for the rest of Homeroom in an effort to repress the memories of that night.
    Again, homeroom is not capitalized, nor is any class unless using the official course title (eg 'Chemistry 101' is capitalized, but not just 'chemistry')

I walk towards to the range to find Sakura after class ends.
    Either 'towards' or 'to' should be removed.

so I look over it to see the three girls that were a part of the track team.
    Are they the only girls on the track team? If not, this is a rather awkward phrasing, something like 'three girls from the track team' would be better.

There was no official explanation, but, according to her, there’s some urban legend going around that receiving a red card marks you for death.
    Really should be a comma here, as this is a compound sentence

It sounds a bit ridiculous, but Himuro is a bit of a rumormonger
    It's a bit repetitive to repeat the same adjective so quickly

Then I catch the glance he gives Sakura while she helps him line-up a shot
    No need for a hyphen here

If Himuro was right, then Ayako has the card with her today.
    Unless Shinji heard more of the conversation than you showed, then this is untrue. Exact wording was 'I’m sure I saw Mitsuzuri-san with one' 'I saw her from the window looking down at it.' No actual indication about when this was, could've been the day before or some earlier time and she's only just been reminded of it.

It takes less than a minute to go through her belongings once it’s clear inside,
    So did he end up having to wait? If not, consider changing to 'once I was sure it was clear inside,'

There’s some survival bars, water-bottles, a half-filled bottle of the same brand of sleeping pills I use, a pocket-notebook, two pens, and a black matchbook with the words ‘Copenhagen’ on it.
    Can't say I've ever seen pocket-notebook hyphenated... then again I doubt I've encountered it in writing much, and there isn't really any conisistent rule for when to hyphenate compound nouns...

Ah, Emiya works there from time-to-time.
    I've never seen this idiom hyphenated, nor do I see any reason for it to be

She never leaves out of the house without it
    She never leaves the house without it

I make my way to the club room and find her laying head down on the desk.
    Intransitive, so you want 'lying' not 'laying'

Then, light as a feather, I wander over the shelf next to the desk.
    Do you mean he wanders over to the shelf?

I keep my attention on the shelf as I inch closer and use two fingers to pull it out, bringing it to my face.
    (Is this Outer Space?)
    No need to capitalise outer space, it isn't a proper noun any more than eg 'the ocean'
    It’s bird-shaped, head-covering helmet is crooked at an angle as it observes me in curiosity.
    Its not It's

a hand already moving to hit the snooze-button.
    No need for a hyphen here either
    The play is done; the curtain drops,
    Slow falling to the prompter's bell;
    A moment yet the actor stops
    And looks around to say farewell.
    It is an irksome word and task...

Blog Entries
    I loved Psyren, so looking forward to seeing where this goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

@ Gauss: Corrections made and appreciated. Would you like to be my beta?

Blog Entries
    Loved reading psyren. Have it DLed on my phone. Good luck wit this story and I hope you end up completing it.

What's the update schedule for this like?

"Red like roses fills my dreams and brings me to the place you rest."

I've finished the third chapter, but I like to build up a backlog and I do write for a living, so I'm holding off for a release every two-weeks.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle shounen jump's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZidanReign View Post
    Oh wow, I thought everyone had forgotten all about Psyren.
    i still can't believe how barren the Psyren section on FF is. I can understand Koihime Muso and SHUFFLE to an extent, but Psyren i could never comprehend.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Extremely rare example of a shounen series that starts good, stays good, and then ends on a high-note before getting dragged out to oblivion.
    Even with the rush job they did with the ending.
    They kind of rushed the ending with Nova, but it was good. It's a shame that it got canned early.... unlike some things that are still ongoing and could have ended before they jumped the shark. *cough* Bleach *cough*
    I still don't see why everyone hates on BLEACH. Does it have issues? Yes, but it's still enjoyable. And most of the issues with it aren't really in the current arc.
    @ Gauss: Corrections made and appreciated. Would you like to be my beta?
    I pointed out a couple of them in my PM to you. Did you get it?

I did not see it. The notification thingy is small, and I have a bookmark to my subscriptions page, so it sometimes gets overlooked.

Bleach should have ended after Aizen got taken down. They had finally prevailed against the main antagonist and the only real cost was Ichigo's powers. They could have ended it there and had a satisfying conclusion with it.

And it's on FF.net now, if you want to add it to your page.
    Last edited by Twi; May 30th, 2016 at 08:56 PM.

I did not see it. The notification thingy is small, and I have a bookmark to my subscriptions page, so it sometimes gets overlooked.

Bleach should have ended after Aizen got taken down. They had finally prevailed against the main antagonist and the only real cost was Ichigo's powers. They could have ended it there and had a satisfying conclusion with it.

And it's on FF.net now, if you want to add it to your page.
    Ah.

Were just going to have to agree to disagree on that. Personally i enjoyed the Fullbringer arc and am enjoying the Thousand Year Blood War.

Favorited.

Blog Entries
    I had really hoped for a Psyren Anime considering how good it was.

Then that never happened

Quote Originally Posted by ZidanReign View Post
    I had really hoped for a Psyren Anime considering how good it was.

Then that never happened
    I want to suggest we do a petition to see if they'd do one, it was popular both here and in Japan if i recall correctly, but they did the same for a second season Durarara and...well we did get one but that was years later.