Thread: "View First Unread" button

Blog Entries

Unhappy "View First Unread" button

Is it possible to fix this thing so it actually works? When going back to a forum topic I'm following, I usually click the button in order to be taken to the first post that's been posted after the last one I previously read, but I constantly find myself being taken to a post that is a couple hundred posts/several pages past where I want to be, so that I have to manually go back through the pages afterwards to try and find where I actually left off. It's very annoying.

"The world is just another word for the things you value around you, right? That's something I've had since I was born. If you tell me to rule such a world, I already rule it."

Blog Entries
    If there's a couple of hundred posts still in the way, then you're probably running into the forum marking everything older than a week(?) as 'read'. This is not a bug, it's an intended feature, because we're not stressing out our forum trying to keep everyone's reading records for all time.

Check threads more often.

E: It's ten days.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The only time the button messes up for me is in the fan clubs, where the button takes me to where the newest post is, but then all the images load in so it always ends about twenty posts back.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    In general, that can be solved by a soft-refresh (i.e. F5 and equivalents, not Ctrl+F5). All the images should be cached if you haven't changed pages, so it won't reload them and will just take you to the proper post. I think this works with our Twitter code, but I'm not certain.

E: It does, at least on Firefox.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    If there's a couple of hundred posts still in the way, then you're probably running into the forum marking everything older than a week(?) as 'read'. This is not a bug, it's an intended feature, because we're not stressing out our forum trying to keep everyone's reading records for all time.

Check threads more often.

E: It's ten days.
    Fair enough, but in forum topics that are really active, and get a lot of posts posted in a short time, such as in the UBW anime thread right after the anime started airing, I'm pretty sure I'm also still being taken way ahead of the last post I read even if I check the thread again (and click the button) the next day. Which makes me wonder if the button only works up until a certain number of posts, i.e it won't remember where you left off if like 200 posts have been posted since the last time you read anything in the topic.

"The world is just another word for the things you value around you, right? That's something I've had since I was born. If you tell me to rule such a world, I already rule it."

Blog Entries
    I haven't had any such trouble, and there's nothing about it in the appropriate parts of our control panel, so (without meaning to be rude) I would need more solid information and input than something you think you remember happening the better part of two years ago.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokudaime View Post
    Fair enough, but in forum topics that are really active, and get a lot of posts posted in a short time, such as in the UBW anime thread right after the anime started airing, I'm pretty sure I'm also still being taken way ahead of the last post I read even if I check the thread again (and click the button) the next day. Which makes me wonder if the button only works up until a certain number of posts, i.e it won't remember where you left off if like 200 posts have been posted since the last time you read anything in the topic.
    It most definitely doesn't work this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    I haven't had any such trouble, and there's nothing about it in the appropriate parts of our control panel, so (without meaning to be rude) I would need more solid information and input than something you think you remember happening the better part of two years ago.
    All right. If a thread I'm following suddenly explodes with comments some day, I'll check to see and confirm if it's actually like that. Right now I'm mostly caught up though. There are only two threads where I'm behind and the button doesn't work, and that's because, like you said, I haven't visited them in a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by @Keo View Post
    It most definitely doesn't work this way.
    OK.

Blog Entries
    You can always count on the FGO thread.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Just chiming in to mention that I've never had any problems with the First Unread Post button, even in the UBW thread at its heyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    You can always count on the FGO thread.
    I shun all the FGO threads.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    The only time the button messes up for me is in the fan clubs, where the button takes me to where the newest post is, but then all the images load in so it always ends about twenty posts back.
    This is the only issue I've ran into as well, but I can deal with it. Aside from that I've never had any issues.