Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 402

Thread: Create-a-Mage

  1. #41
    18 points of DEX damage An Abstract Platypus?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    The Elemental Plane of Chocolate
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,136
    US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    18
    I just was under the impression that it was looked down upon in the Mage's Association. i.e. phrases like 'the most he could do is a bit of formalcraft.' Can't remember where I read that that though, so sure, I'm wrong. Again.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports
    .

    I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.


    Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

  2. #42
    Bitchin' Arashi_Leonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Plume Hell
    Age
    32
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    30,897
    JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    115
    Yes, because it is basic, time-intensive, and what no-talents are often forced to do, not because it's lazy.

    We're only joking about runes being lazy because they're like the magecraft-in-fanfiction equivalent to Zelretch-did-it-for-plot.

  3. #43
    鬼 Ogre-like You's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    https://twitter.com/LickYouTie
    Posts
    32,186
    JP Friend Code
    101043939
    Blog Entries
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
    Tohsaka using her dad's Jeweled Staff and blowing shit up. Though I haven't seen that done anywhere, I'm sure it's not a very original idea. That said, I still think it'd be badass.
    literally atomic gatorade tier.
    "Your magecraft is second rate. However, in a battle between magi it's definitely first class."
    "Second rate huh, Nicely barked, kid."
    Altrum harshly rebutted.
    His voice was mixed in with a killing intent. He was not about to back down even one step.
    To this, the phantom wolf boy said, "You don't get it? If it was my teacher he'd see through it in one glance. You've definitely worked on your magecraft quite a bit. For the sake of wounding people, for the sake of fighting someone with magecraft, it's beyond complete. But... that's not what being a magus is about."
    Svin lightly scoffed.
    "Therefore, you're not a magus, just a spellcaster."
    Quote Originally Posted by Canon View Post
    On You's tombstone it will read
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    That's exaggerating my point.

  4. #44
    18 points of DEX damage An Abstract Platypus?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    The Elemental Plane of Chocolate
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,136
    US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    18
    I still don't know what Atomic Gatorade means. I know I'm supposed to have figured it out by now, but I just can't do it!
    Someone please explain it to me *cries with shame*
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports
    .

    I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.


    Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

  5. #45

  6. #46
    18 points of DEX damage An Abstract Platypus?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    The Elemental Plane of Chocolate
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,136
    US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    We didn't know what to make of Atrum Galliasta's name when it initially came out.
    Oh.
    Well, now I can't tell if You think it's a good thing or a bad thing. I always thought Atrum was just what Shinji would have been if he'd had some decent magic circuits.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports
    .

    I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.


    Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

  7. #47
    Beats By Matthew ft. Dr. Para Rafflesiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    31,471
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    US Friend Code
    793848092
    Blog Entries
    16
    RIP Atram Galliast and my 3 months or so of fame
    Supports:


    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

  8. #48
    鬼 Ogre-like You's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    https://twitter.com/LickYouTie
    Posts
    32,186
    JP Friend Code
    101043939
    Blog Entries
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
    Oh.
    Well, now I can't tell if You think it's a good thing or a bad thing. I always thought Atrum was just what Shinji would have been if he'd had some decent magic circuits.
    blowing shit up does not make you a good magus.
    Last edited by You; July 12th, 2016 at 08:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canon View Post
    On You's tombstone it will read
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    That's exaggerating my point.

  9. #49
    Taiga's knight Tobias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    39,321
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    blowing shit up does not make you a magus.
    Sounds like the beginning to one of those motivational posters.

    like, you have rin standing in front of a mushroom cloud shrugging her shoulders

    blowing shit up does not make you a magus



    ...but it helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

  10. #50

  11. #51
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Imperial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,766
    Blog Entries
    30
    I've always been curious to see more of the obscure stuff Nasu mentions in supplemental materials, so I was going to take a stab at the Jewel Killer and his Halting ability in my discontinued Seven Samurai story.

    His gimmick is that the Jewel Killer is a twofold title: He is dedicated to both exterminating the families apprenticed to Zelretch, and his ancestors were once followers of Zelretch as well. He wants to kill off gemcraft users and is someone who can kill with the power of jewels, though that is a closely guarded secret. Zelretch's notoriously cruel methods drove his ancestor to madness, and the family never got over the grudge.

    His Halting ability most often manifests as a variation on lightning magic. He can insert electrical charges into his target's nervous system that specifically target Magic Circuits, paralyzing their magecraft. This is most effective when he can make contact with his target using his conductive gloves, a Mystic Code, but he can also cause disturbances in the electromagnetic spectrum around him disrupt the flow of certain types of incoming magecraft. Of course, "Halting" carries with it many applications, such as the Jewel Killer being particularly skilled at sealing spells or simply stopping and restarting the respiration of a target when he's pumping them for information.

    The Jewel Killer as I conceived of him resents the vices and cruelty of magi culture, but he's so cold-blooded about it that you have to wonder if he's really doing any good.

    Edit: At least, that's how it would have worked in the story. My other idea for "Halting" was that he can temporarily halt Gaia's attempts to suppress magecraft, allowing him to chain spells and perform feats that border on Age of the Gods levels of bullshit. The typical rules of magecraft don't apply for a while. But he must eventually release this block, and the backlash catches up to him all at once.

    How much burst damage does he want in exchange for risking a game over?
    Last edited by Imperial; July 12th, 2016 at 08:45 PM.
    Spoiler:
    Originally Posted by You
    when all the evils have given up their waifus, all the greats have left for med school, and there are no more at least 3 day battles to be fought what is left is

    not Tsukihime 2
    not DDD3
    not even Girl's Work

    but f/go

    and now f/go english

    that is what is waiting for you at the end of schadenfreude


  12. #52
    Taiga's knight Tobias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    39,321
    Blog Entries
    12
    ^^Ooh, that is better
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

  13. #53
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six asterism42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,169
    Blog Entries
    1
    Not really fully fleshed out, but I was thinking of a family that uses music as the basis for their spellcasting, and they try and reach the Root by composing the musica universalis or something.

    It's late you guys. And I'm kinda drunk, and it's Wednesday and my life is a mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly

  14. #54
    鬼 Ogre-like You's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    https://twitter.com/LickYouTie
    Posts
    32,186
    JP Friend Code
    101043939
    Blog Entries
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    I've always been curious to see more of the obscure stuff Nasu mentions in supplemental materials, so I was going to take a stab at the Jewel Killer and his Halting ability in my discontinued Seven Samurai story.

    His gimmick is that the Jewel Killer is a twofold title: He is dedicated to both exterminating the families apprenticed to Zelretch, and his ancestors were once followers of Zelretch as well. He wants to kill off gemcraft users and is someone who can kill with the power of jewels, though that is a closely guarded secret. Zelretch's notoriously cruel methods drove his ancestor to madness, and the family never got over the grudge.

    His Halting ability most often manifests as a variation on lightning magic. He can insert electrical charges into his target's nervous system that specifically target Magic Circuits, paralyzing their magecraft. This is most effective when he can make contact with his target using his conductive gloves, a Mystic Code, but he can also cause disturbances in the electromagnetic spectrum around him disrupt the flow of certain types of incoming magecraft. Of course, "Halting" carries with it many applications, such as the Jewel Killer being particularly skilled at sealing spells or simply stopping and restarting the respiration of a target when he's pumping them for information.

    The Jewel Killer as I conceived of him resents the vices and cruelty of magi culture, but he's so cold-blooded about it that you have to wonder if he's really doing any good.

    Edit: At least, that's how it would have worked in the story. My other idea for "Halting" was that he can temporarily halt Gaia's attempts to suppress magecraft, allowing him to chain spells and perform feats that border on Age of the Gods levels of bullshit. The typical rules of magecraft don't apply for a while. But he must eventually release this block, and the backlash catches up to him all at once.

    How much burst damage does he want in exchange for risking a game over?
    Gaia doesn't suppress magecraft.
    The world is the thing producing the phenomenon in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canon View Post
    On You's tombstone it will read
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    That's exaggerating my point.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    i feel as though runes are always the lazy person's magecraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    blowing shit up does not make you a good magus.
    It's funny because someone I know made once a character with those two concepts in mind as deliberate character traits.

    It was an enforcer that the only things he had were his firepower and how resilient he was (his origin was resilience, actually). So the guy was really second-rate and simple, used runes, lacked any semblance of a magus mindset and was only in the Clock Tower because family connections and pure chance. He wasn't able to make something useful of anything he learnt in the Clock Tower, and all he used was the stuff he practiced since he had use of reason, ingrained within him in the crest and polished due to his own perseverance. So he was the kind of guy who was a good fighter not because of a spectacular technique or superior magecraft but because he knew how to resist a beating and stand up again after one. That also meant he was good at following orders... too good actually, so even if he didn't really like what he was doing he did it anyway just to not break his own status quo.

    That was like his whole point actually, he was able to resist all kind of injuries, withstand the nastiest of mental interferences but also to bear with the worse commands without complains. He got so used to be a pawn in chessboards he didn't even know so that very thing became his day-to-day. He also had a little sister he was forced to protect since they were very little, but she actually got to be far more relevant and successful in the inner workings of the Clock Tower than him would ever be, so now he was totally unneeded in such a role even if he persisted at it. So his simplicity was in a way both his greatest strength but also his least desirable shortcoming.

    Basically he got uninteresting traits to twist them and create something interesting.

  16. #56
    18 points of DEX damage An Abstract Platypus?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    The Elemental Plane of Chocolate
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,136
    US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Sounds like the beginning to one of those motivational posters.

    like, you have rin standing in front of a mushroom cloud shrugging her shoulders

    blowing shit up does not make you a magus



    ...but it helps!
    I am going to find fanart of this (either Rin or Aoko as Arashi suggested). And then I am going to create that poster and start a Nasuverse Demotivational thread.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports
    .

    I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.


    Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

  17. #57
    1. 2. 3. 4. We are cells at work! RoydGolden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Human body
    Age
    50
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,494
    Quote Originally Posted by yokushi View Post
    It's funny because someone I know made once a character with those two concepts in mind as deliberate character traits.

    It was an enforcer that the only things he had were his firepower and how resilient he was (his origin was resilience, actually). So the guy was really second-rate and simple, used runes, lacked any semblance of a magus mindset and was only in the Clock Tower because family connections and pure chance. He wasn't able to make something useful of anything he learnt in the Clock Tower, and all he used was the stuff he practiced since he had use of reason, ingrained within him in the crest and polished due to his own perseverance. So he was the kind of guy who was a good fighter not because of a spectacular technique or superior magecraft but because he knew how to resist a beating and stand up again after one. That also meant he was good at following orders... too good actually, so even if he didn't really like what he was doing he did it anyway just to not break his own status quo.

    That was like his whole point actually, he was able to resist all kind of injuries, withstand the nastiest of mental interferences but also to bear with the worse commands without complains. He got so used to be a pawn in chessboards he didn't even know so that very thing became his day-to-day. He also had a little sister he was forced to protect since they were very little, but she actually got to be far more relevant and successful in the inner workings of the Clock Tower than him would ever be, so now he was totally unneeded in such a role even if he persisted at it. So his simplicity was in a way both his greatest strength but also his least desirable shortcoming.

    Basically he got uninteresting traits to twist them and create something interesting.
    Other then the 'always follows orders' part that sounds like the perfect Shonen protagonist.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Other then the 'always follows orders' part that sounds like the perfect Shonen protagonist.
    Yeah, that was kind of a running joke actually. With the difference that he wasn't secretly the scion of a noble magus family or unique powerful lineage but just an average guy in an unhealthy punching bag dynamic that seriously needed to reconsider his whole life. Yeah, that last part was so Fate series in a nuthsell.

  19. #59
    マリーの味方 Sesto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,651
    US Friend Code
    656873700
    Spoiler:
    Name: Laetitia Vaugreleux
    Gender: Female
    Age: 21
    Hair Color: Red
    Eye Color: Blue
    Place of Birth: Lyon, France
    Likes: Lavish parties, shopping
    Dislikes: Lavish parties, seafood, technophobes

    A young woman belonging to a branch family of one of the Lords of Clock Tower.

    The Vaugreleux family specializes in the creation of bounded fields. Differing from most, they focused their efforts not into scale and undetectability, but into speed and complexity. They prided themselves in the quickness they could erect a bounded field while maintaining a complexity far beyond the norm, a skill that had unusual use in combat situations.

    As they tended to work in a small scope and preferred to design fields that can be focalized on a central point, they were once regarded as experts in the creation of intricate mystic codes.

    However, a few generations ago the family came to a standstill, and their research stagnated. In a desperate attempt to ensure long-term security for their family’s status, the family head of the time successfully secured a few critical political marriages.

    But his actions -- and the actions of those that came after -- did nothing to resolve the stagnation plaguing their work. Although the Vaugreleux family still possesses high standing within the political circles of the Association, the truth is they are merely a shadow of their former selves. It could be said that in recent times they only maintain their status through political maneuverings and magical patents.

    Laetitia is a second child who was only taught the ways of magecraft because of the whims of her father. Despite being naturally talented, she will not inherit the family crest, and is intended to be married off to the heir of the main family.

    A free-spirited individual who loathes the notion of how a ‘magus’ should act, and despises the political nature of Clock Tower. However, she is still very similar to that of a pampered princess, and is not hesitant to spend her family’s money wherever she can.

    She takes great pride in her family’s magecraft, and wishing to restore her family’s dignity, she left home to participate in the Prague Grail War. She is accompanied by her personal homunculus, a gift given to her by her aunt a year ago.


    i wrote something. she is a primary character in a fic i was working on (in others words, not working on)

    my favourite part was creating a nonsense nasuverse family name

  20. #60
    18 points of DEX damage An Abstract Platypus?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    The Elemental Plane of Chocolate
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,136
    US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    18
    Not just family names. Sure, Yggdmillennia sounds would sound better with a 'ra' between the d and the m, but on the other hand, Luviagelita? That is not a name by any stretch. Even Luvia takes some getting used to. I even have someone poking fun at her in my fanfiction, saying they like her because her name sounds like ice cream in multiple different languages.

    And even worse is Flat. Who in their right mind names their kid Flat?

    From this point forward, I will shpeak vish un ixaggerated, German accent.
    Kayneth ish nott a name eijjer! Hueverr, it ish far shuperior to Flat!

    It boggles jje mind. You vould shink jjat Nasu had neverr sheen a Veshtern name beforr. Yit Alecjjander vos poorrfectly shpelled.

    Okay, thanks to goddamn autocomplete, I can no longer misspell words without any trouble.

    I do like that character though. She held my interest. Though I was hoping that you would expand a bit more on the way you said she disliked technophobes.
    Last edited by An Abstract Platypus?; July 13th, 2016 at 11:56 PM.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports
    .

    I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.


    Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •