Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: New Registration System implemented

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes and no. It is certainly not impossible and very well within the limits of a bot. Would someone have programmed a bot to do this? I find that unlikely, but I'm not well versed with the mentality of bot programmers.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, I'm sure that questions of the form "what is the name of x" are reasonably common, so I could imagine they trying it.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think some of these might be a bit hard for people who only know one Nasuverse work. Say, someone who joins just to ask a question about MB or something.
    I'm all for helping people, but the 1000th person who makes the account just for that and then lurking indefinitely (and who makes duplicates for the fuck of it, given how many I've found for just June alone)is honestly better off just hanging around, given the cycle of recurring information here. Besides, given the interaction most of us have with wakachan (admit it, a lot of you guys are on there a good deal of the time) would be better off getting their answers there than going to the trouble of making an account(yes, it is an image board, but due to lack of mod and the fact that people argue Nasuverse stuff about as much as GD does, I'd say the one-off topics are fine there).

"Fate/stay night: not really an eroge, and not really a cooking sim, but actually an RPG wherein everyone’s primary stat is “self-loathing” and the goal is to level it up beyond all the other characters."

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Erm, I'd like to point out that I don't know the answer to several of the questions, and further have only played one of the Nasuverse works. It's not only people who join just to ask one question who will be in that position.

Also, whilst some people might join, ask one question and then never post again, equally there are people who will join with that intent and then get sucked in. Indeed, when I first joined I did so (IIRC) solely to post my fanfic and get feedback on it. I just happened to get involved in debates etc., and it went from there.

Lavender
    You could always have math questions, too. I see those used on other forums.

"What is the sum of 5 and 8?", etc.

Blog Entries
    How about naming a sport or fish or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

Blog Entries
    Shame on you that don't know who Mikiya's sister is. Shame. On. You.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

In all fairness to mike, he doesn't actually care about the majority of the nasuverse, and the only times he gets into Tsukihime or KnK are when they threaten his viewpoints or are about physics. Mike-sama makes physics his fucktoy.

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

Blog Entries
    Not necessarily just Mike, also the rest of the people that don't know.
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    I don't know mikiya's sister either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeWannabe View Post
    In all fairness to mike, he doesn't actually care about the majority of the nasuverse, and the only times he gets into Tsukihime or KnK are when they threaten his viewpoints or are about physics. Mike-sama makes physics his fucktoy.
    Well, I do intend to play Tsukihime at some point, but I doubt I'll ever care as much as I do about FSN, and about Sakura in particular.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Is that a challenge Mike? Shall we have a betting pool on who you shall support once you finish Tsukihime? Hmm?

But seriously, I do have to retract my statement, there are still people who haven't played any of the games yet. Hell, there are people here now who haven't, and have been for years. Making Nasuverse related questions might be too frustrating. But delegating it to random questions seem too easy.

"Fate/stay night: not really an eroge, and not really a cooking sim, but actually an RPG wherein everyone’s primary stat is “self-loathing” and the goal is to level it up beyond all the other characters."

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I don't know mikiya's sister either.
    I could've sworn you watched KnK. You seriously don't know Azaka?
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
    But seriously, I do have to retract my statement, there are still people who haven't played any of the games yet. Hell, there are people here now who haven't, and have been for years. Making Nasuverse related questions might be too frustrating.
    Well, it depends what you ask.

For instance, if you ask "what is the name of Sakura's brother", I can't imagine many TM fans wouldn't know that, and even those who didn't could look it up. But, at the same time, it would be basically impossible for a spambot to answer, because without context the answer is ambiguous.

Another one would be something like "what is the surname of the hero of FSN", and ditto for Tsukihime (or, indeed, KnK). Those are things you can't possibly not know, even if you've not played the games, and even if you don't you can just look them up.

But delegating it to random questions seem too easy.
    Well, finding random questions that everyone knows the answer to and which aren't utterly trivial for a spambot is actually quite difficult.

Blog Entries
    Till like 3 episode, or thereabouts, before I completely lost interest and couldn't stand to watch anymore, got no idea on azaka
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Azaka is said sister.

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

Blog Entries
    Till like 3 episode, or thereabouts, before I completely lost interest and couldn't stand to watch anymore, got no idea on azaka
    Find it in your heart to watch Paradox Spiral (No. 5). Best one out of the lot.

Blog Entries
    eh, half the reason I gave up on KnK is I couldnt follow what the hell was going on thanks to the fact that they felt no need to follow any kind of chronological coherence, what are the odds adding two movies of what the hell is gonna make me feel any better?

Blog Entries
    If you want to watch them in order, it's:

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lethum View Post
    Nrvnqsr is a ______ Apostole Ancestor.
    Typo aside, I suppose that this one will do. Added.

Quote Originally Posted by lethum View Post
    Now I'm not sure that the question I posted was right...maybe

X1 In F/SN, the protagonist participates in the _____ Holy Grail War.

X2 Matou Sakura was originally named ______ Sakura.

X3 Sasaki Kojirou is Servant __________.
    X1: That one, I'm not so sure a basic fan would know. Yeah, they'd remember Holy Grail War, but what one?

X2: Major Spoiler. Denied.

X3: Nobody, since that's not Sasaki Kojirou.

finish this sentance.

mystic eyes of death _________
    I'd actually thought about adding that one. It's somewhat of a minor spoiler, but spoiler enough for me to nix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Number 8 is "entry level"? I don't know that one. Also, you have to be careful with multiple spellings for questions like number 9 (possibly you should make it clear in the question which convention you're using).
    Unless otherwise specified, I'll go by the "official" westernizations of the name (save for Yumiduka, because that's just WRONG) and/or the Mirror Moon translations. Obviously, I couldn't use the family name for that question, as there's technically 3-4 characters that could have been.

If in doubt, the ones I'll go by are the ones the Type-Moon Wiki uses, so basically, bust out those h's and u's.

I'd say that something like "name the main character of Fate/Stay Night" or similar would be a good idea (anyone who says "Saber" should be banned immediately ).
    Technically, three characters can be the "main character" even though we're in the POV of only one of them. Well, two, actually.

Well, I don't think that is a problem (after all, the KnK question is far more obscure) so much as the fact that you're potentially forcing them to look up a major HF spoiler just to register is. I mean, yeah, they'll spoiler it soon enough if they join, but they should at least have the choice.

Something like "what is the name of Sakura's brother" would work, though.
    ...No, it's really not obscure. Anyone who's watched more than a few episodes would know that, and put bluntly, if you don't figure it out by Episode 6, you're an idiot.

Still, one can simply hit Type-Moon Wiki, look up Mikiya, and get the answer. Which is more effort than most spammers will go through.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsRequiem View Post
    Finish this phrase: Unlimited _____ Works
    Tough call. Obvious to those who played through the game, but someone who only knows of it casually probably won't know that.

Tohno shiki refers to aoko as _________
    Pretty much pointless. It's a somewhat easy question, but Aoko really only figures into Tsukihime twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    Tsukihime has _____ routes.Fate/Stay Night has _____ routes.
    Technically, six and four. Plus, I asked, and I can't have a multiple-answer question, regardless of if it's two answers, or multiple correct answers to a question. (I asked the developer of the plugin and he said this isn't possible, sadly.)

How about....Emiya Shirou has a hobby of _________ .
    OR
    Tohsaka Rin is terrible with _________ .
    As was said, too vague/obscure.

Quote Originally Posted by TypeWannabe View Post
    Howsabout we do what every other forum does and have answers ANYBODY could answer. Like, what's the capital of Virginia, who was the first President...etc.
    Because that's BORING.

Although, I'm not too clear how this works. Is it like most captchas, where you get another chance if you fail, or do you only get one shot? If it's the first, then we can afford a few questions which people might get wrong, but if it's the second then we have to be much more careful.
    AFAIK, if you bork it, it'll just give you a new question.

Because it's a TM forum, so it makes sense to have TM-specific questions?

If we use generic questions, then it makes it easier for spambots to get around them, especially since a genuinely universal question (i.e. one which anyone in the world could answer, even people with relatively limited command of English and no knowledge of American/British History or Geography) needs to be extremely simple.
    Ding. Put it this way: It's harder for them to answer these than for them to know what state the city of Kankakee is in.

(PS: Illinois.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    I dunno, Brunestud is a hotspot for making errors when writing out and is annoyingly strange.
    Would you rather have to complete __________ Chaos?

Probably because it's me (who argues this stuff all the time) but I'm divided between katana/sword and knife.
    She's usually only carrying one of these, though.

I woulda put 'Complete the following title:' and put 'MELTY _____' to make it easier but this is good.
    Eh, debatable. Though that said, one shouldn't underestimate the number of players who got started via Melty. (I did, after all...)

Yeah, you have a point here. Plus, it's an uncommon enough name that a spam-bot could just goodle "Arcueid"
    It's not about stopping all spambots, just the majority. What we've put up should stop probably about 95% of automated spambots, though, as while a bot could google it, it'd have to somehow understand the question - which would mean the bot has to understand language, which is pretty much too damn complex. And, of course, a human spammer is slower.

Basically, I'm willing to take the small chance that a spammer can google that, because it's still going to stop automated bots.

Erm, I'd like to point out that I don't know the answer to several of the questions, and further have only played one of the Nasuverse works. It's not only people who join just to ask one question who will be in that position.
    If I made them all centric around one game, people would complain. Let's face it. At the same time, none of these are stuff that someone couldn't look up.

Be happy I'm not throwing in Decoration Disorder Disconnection, Angel Notes, and Canaan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender View Post
    You could always have math questions, too. I see those used on other forums.

"What is the sum of 5 and 8?", etc.
    Math is my worst subject, and I refuse to use it any more than I have to. Plus, as has been said, a spambot could probably pretty easily understand and automate that.

Well, I do intend to play Tsukihime at some point, but I doubt I'll ever care as much as I do about FSN, and about Sakura in particular.
    Oh, I have a feeling you may be wrong here.

Is that a challenge Mike? Shall we have a betting pool on who you shall support once you finish Tsukihime? Hmm?
    One of the Far-Side heroines, would be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    Find it in your heart to watch Paradox Spiral (No. 5). Best one out of the lot.
    Listen to this man. Episode 5 is what made this series go from "This is great for Nasuverse fans" to "Holy hell, I need to suck people in with this series." Two of the best hours of entertainment I've ever had.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror