Page 1 of 14 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: New Registration System implemented

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries

New Registration System implemented

I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but lately we've had a dearth of spambots joining up.

In an effort to curb this, I've installed a mod. It does a few things (most of which, such as board invites, I've disabled, as we're an open board) but the one main feature it does that we'll be using, is allow us to ask a question for new registrants - essentially a CAPTCHA system - and one we are able to gear to our specific audience, in order to make defeating it harder (at least, for automated bots). Generally speaking, these are questions that every Type-Moon fan should know (or at least, be able to look up).

The current list is ten items, as follows:

# Question
    1 What class is Emiya Shirou's Servant?
    2 Complete the following name: Arcueid __________
    3 Tohno Shiki's sister is Tohno __________
    4 Ryougi Shiki's preferred weapon is a __________
    5 Type-Moon's first published game was __________
    6 What is the fighting game spinoff of Tsukihime called?
    7 What family are the sisters, Aoko and Touko, from?
    8 Who is the hot-headed sister of Kokutou Mikiya?
    9 Complete the following name: __________ Rin
    10 The universe that Type-Moon's works fall into is called the __________

I don't think any of these questions should be very hard for most casual fans to answer or look up, as I've said.

If you've got ideas for questions, feel free to post them here, but remember - they're meant to be entry-level stuff. Therefore, stuff like the identity of Fate Servants, character abilities (for the most part), minor/obscure characters, and the like are not suitable.

Right now, there's a limit on answers - AFAIK, I cannot word a question that would allow for multiple correct answers (Ex.: "What kinds of bell peppers are there?" "Red, Yellow, Green") so keep this in mind when you word your question. It needs to be a single, definitive answer.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nrvnqsr is a ______ Apostole Ancestor.

Blog Entries
    Ryougi shiki uses..iunno, big knife?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Now I'm not sure that the question I posted was right...maybe

X1 In F/SN, the protagonist participates in the _____ Holy Grail War.

X2 Matou Sakura was originally named ______ Sakura.

X3 Sasaki Kojirou is Servant __________.

Lavender
    Quote Originally Posted by lethum View Post
    X2 Matou Sakura was originally named ______ Sakura.
    I don't expect everyone to know that so easily, especially those who have only played Tsukihime and the like.

Blog Entries
    finish this sentance.

mystic eyes of death _________
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    If you've got ideas for questions, feel free to post them here, but remember - they're meant to be entry-level stuff. Therefore, stuff like the identity of Fate Servants, character abilities (for the most part), minor/obscure characters, and the like are not suitable.
    Number 8 is "entry level"? I don't know that one. Also, you have to be careful with multiple spellings for questions like number 9 (possibly you should make it clear in the question which convention you're using).

I'd say that something like "name the main character of Fate/Stay Night" or similar would be a good idea (anyone who says "Saber" should be banned immediately ).

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender View Post
    I don't expect everyone to know that so easily, especially those who have only played Tsukihime and the like.
    Well, I don't think that is a problem (after all, the KnK question is far more obscure) so much as the fact that you're potentially forcing them to look up a major HF spoiler just to register is. I mean, yeah, they'll spoiler it soon enough if they join, but they should at least have the choice.

Something like "what is the name of Sakura's brother" would work, though.

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH---!!!!!! DreamsRequiem's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    714, 551,159
    Blog Entries
    Finish this phrase: Unlimited _____ Works

The Lycopocalypse: Click at your own risk
    FGO NA Support:

IGN: Kurama Satou

Blog Entries
    Try to avoid spoilers in your questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

Blog Entries
    Tohno shiki refers to aoko as _________

Blog Entries
    Tsukihime has _____ routes.Fate/Stay Night has _____ routes.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for this Dark Pulse, I would have suggested it if you didn't, because for this month of registrations I have gone through a TON of duplicate accounts, so any way to curb the hoard a bit would be nice.

I really want to be evil and put: What is "Ally of Justice" in Japanese? But no.
    Plus I thought of "What is Matou Sakura's most prized possession?" But that would be a spoiler too, like Mike said.

How about....Emiya Shirou has a hobby of _________ .
    OR
    Tohsaka Rin is terrible with _________ .

"Fate/stay night: not really an eroge, and not really a cooking sim, but actually an RPG wherein everyone’s primary stat is “self-loathing” and the goal is to level it up beyond all the other characters."

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How about....Emiya Shirou has a hobby of _________ .
    OR
    Tohsaka Rin is terrible with _________ .
    I don't even know what the answer to the first one would be (cooking? fixing things? being a hero? jamming it in?). And a lot of people wouldn't know the second, since it doesn't come up in the game.

Also technically there are multiple valid possibilities for Rin's last name. (Tohsaka, Toosaka, Tosaka).

I think some of these might be a bit hard for people who only know one Nasuverse work. Say, someone who joins just to ask a question about MB or something.
    Last edited by Kotonoha; June 20th, 2011 at 10:59 AM.

Howsabout we do what every other forum does and have answers ANYBODY could answer. Like, what's the capital of Virginia, who was the first President...etc.

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

Blog Entries
    Like, what's the capital of Virginia
    Does anyone actually know this?

who was the first President
    Of what

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
    Thanks for this Dark Pulse, I would have suggested it if you didn't, because for this month of registrations I have gone through a TON of duplicate accounts, so any way to curb the hoard a bit would be nice.
    Yeah, it's definitely useful. We have to be careful not to make the questions either too easy for a spambot to guess or too hard for a normal person, though.

I really want to be evil and put: What is "Ally of Justice" in Japanese? But no.
    I don't know that....

Plus, a suifficiently smart spambot could work it out via google translate or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    I don't even know what the answer to the first one would be (cooking? fixing things? being a hero? jamming it in?). And a lot of people wouldn't know the second, since it doesn't come up in the game.
    Yeah, the first one is too vague and the second one is too obscure for a newbie.

Also technically there are multiple valid possibilities for Rin's last name. (Tohsaka, Toosaka, Tosaka).
    Yeah, see my comment.

I think some of these might be a bit hard for people who only know one Nasuverse work. Say, someone who joins just to ask a question about MB or something.
    I'd have to agree with that. I mean, I don't know the answer to question 8.

Although, I'm not too clear how this works. Is it like most captchas, where you get another chance if you fail, or do you only get one shot? If it's the first, then we can afford a few questions which people might get wrong, but if it's the second then we have to be much more careful.

Quote Originally Posted by TypeWannabe View Post
    Howsabout we do what every other forum does and have answers ANYBODY could answer.
    Because it's a TM forum, so it makes sense to have TM-specific questions?

If we use generic questions, then it makes it easier for spambots to get around them, especially since a genuinely universal question (i.e. one which anyone in the world could answer, even people with relatively limited command of English and no knowledge of American/British History or Geography) needs to be extremely simple.

Like, what's the capital of Virginia
    What about "what's the county town of Devon"? Because that's about as "obvious" to me as your question is....

who was the first President...etc.
    Again, too damn America-centric. Not everyone learns US history in great detail (although I personally could answer that one).

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Complete the following name: Arcueid __________
    I dunno, Brunestud is a hotspot for making errors when writing out and is annoyingly strange.

Ryougi Shiki's preferred weapon is a __________
    Probably because it's me (who argues this stuff all the time) but I'm divided between katana/sword and knife.

What is the fighting game spinoff of Tsukihime called?
    I woulda put 'Complete the following title:' and put 'MELTY _____' to make it easier but this is good.

I don't know that....

Plus, a suifficiently smart spambot could work it out via google translate or similar.
    Seigi no mikata = 正義の味方. You've probably heard it.
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    I dunno, Brunestud is a hotspot for making errors when writing out and is annoyingly strange.
    Yeah, you have a point here. Plus, it's an uncommon enough name that a spam-bot could just goodle "Arcueid"

Probably because it's me (who argues this stuff all the time) but I'm divided between katana/sword and knife.
    Yeah, I wasn't too sure about that one.

I woulda put 'Complete the following title:' and put 'MELTY _____' to make it easier but this is good.
    Yeah, that's probably better, actually, although a spam-bot might be able to work that one out.

Seigi no mikata = 正義の味方. You've probably heard it.
    Yeah, but if I can't answer that off the top of my head, there's no way a casual fan could.

Blog Entries
    a spam-bot could just goodle "Arcueid"
    Typo aside, can bots do this?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Typo aside, can bots do this?
    Potentially.

Spam-bots are big business, so the people writing them can be very smart. The point of a test like this (just like a captcha test) is to make sure you're human, so anything which could be found by a person with no knowledge of the topic in question just by entering a word into google could also be found by a bot doing so.