Page 286 of 858 FirstFirst ... 186236276281284285286287288291296336386786 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,720 of 17149

Thread: Create-A-Servant 2

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Feel kind of tempted to try and do a Theseus Alter sheet sometime (guy had an intensely conflicted reputation as king, and was just about unanimously despised for the entire latter half of his legend) but I can't really think up any interesting ideas for him NP-wise. Any possibilities/suggestions?

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 4score7years View Post
    Now I can't stop imagining him firing at some critical moment and his arrow going wildly off-target. Everyone would be expecting some sort of crazy trickshot only for it to turn out that he actually just missed.

That silly little thought aside, this is a good sheet. Plenty of personality, and it's always cool to read about people I've never heard of.

"D-dammit! Of all times, why do I have to miss now!?"

Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    While we're at it, I can't help but wonder how Hawkwood would play off of Extra's Robin Hood, since they both fit the "likeable rogue" archetype to some degree or another.
    Despite both Archers possessing roguish traits, the two would definitely clash against one another. Hawkwood sees R.H as a fool, believing the latter was attempting to play hero for people that clearly did not respect him. In turn, R.H's opinion on Hawkwood would be that the mercenary is an egotistic maniac who shouldn't be trusted. R.H holds a nihilistic perspective on life, and while Hawkwood is somewhat cynical, his beliefs are ultimately idealistic. And there is also the fact that Hawkwood's stature reminds R.H of the very feudal lord that he was trying to repel. As a result, it's easy to say that both Archers would initially dislike each other on sight.

However, if both sides spend enough time with another, the sense of hostility between the two would slowly diminish. Conflicting ideals aside, both share the belief of pragmatism as a necessity to achieve victory, along with preferring indirect combat over direct confrontations. After clearing up some misunderstandings, both agrees going against authorities and helping others does have merits. In the end, the two would be something akin to Vitrolic Best Friends; while both Hawkwood and R.H still act like they hate each other's guts, but there is mutual respect is between them.

Hey, at least both of them agrees that knights are idiots.

(Funnily enough, others tend to joke that Hawkwood is secretly Robin Hood Alter for his appearance. The former isn't very amused.)

(If the two were to battle one another, it would be like the boss fight against the End in MGS Snake Eater; R.H being more Snake-like while Hawkwood is akin to the End. Oddly, this serves as the closest equivalent of a "fair fight" between the two subversive Archers.)
    Last edited by SleepMode; April 26th, 2017 at 08:03 AM.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "For three hundred sixty days a year, I hold my weapon ready atop my steed, awaiting my next opponent."

Rider

True Name: Qi Jiguang
    Epithet: "The Father of the Chinese Military"
    Alignment: Lawful Good
    Origin: Historical
    Region: China (Ming Dynasty)
    Dislikes: Pirates, Mongols, Cowardice.
    Talents: Strategy games, Horse Riding.
    Natural Enemy: Politicians and Noblemen.

Personality: Hot-headed and brash, yet also kind and good humoured. Rider will clash with many a Master because of his stubbornness and his hatred of cowardice. Yet beneath all that impulsiveness lies an impressive tactical mind and so his Master would do well to consider his opinions on matters. He is fiercely loyal to his comrades and should his Master fall in battle before he does, he will unflinchingly charge against the enemy to avenge the fallen. As he was expected to be a soldier from birth to death, he is terrible with domestic tasks and married young just so he could leave all that to his wife. He weeps for the state his homeland is in right now and given the chance, would use his wish on the Holy Grail to be incarnated again into the world so he could attempt to bring China back to it's glory days (Whether that would work or not is another matter).

STR: (B) END: (C) AGI: (B) MGI: (E) LCK: (C)

Class Skills:
    Riding (C)
    A Class Skill of Rider and Saber class Servants, denoting the ability to ride mounts and vehicles. Most vehicles and animals can be handled with above average skill. However, cannot ride the likes of Phantasmal Species such as Monstrous Beasts.

Magic Resistance (E)
    A Skill that grants protection against magical effects. Differing from the Resistance effect that merely rejects Magical Energy, this ability cancels the spells altogether.

Personal Skills:
    Advice of the Strategist (A)
    A Skill given to military-affiliated Servants. By grasping and analysing the situation, correct advice can be given to one's allies. The higher the rank, the better the probability of the advice given being correct. Rider can make several detailed strategies even with the littlest of information, such as when he was summoned back from the South to deal with the Mongols raids on Beijing, he came up with effective countermeasures before even reaching the capital to assess the damage, based on nothing more than what he had heard of the attacks.

Charisma (B)
    A composite Skill consisting of a person's charm as well as the natural talent to command or unify an army or country. Increases the ability of allies during group battles. Rider's status as a General that was beloved by both his soldiers and the people of China meant that the Emperor had him sent into exile for fear of being overthrown.

Chinese Martial Arts (C)
    A value that measures one's mastery of the martial arts that made becoming one with the universe as its objective. Rider himself was only above average in terms of martial arts, however his studying of every fighting style in China for use in his army has made his knowledge of the subject immense and that if an opponent has this Skill as well then theirs will suffer a Rank down.

Eye of the Mind [True] (B)
    A heightened capacity for observation, refined through training, discipline and experience. A danger-avoidance ability that utilizes the intelligence collected up to the current time as the basis, in order to predict the opponent’s activity and change the current situation. Rider had survived many a battle while having to lead from the front and so his battle experience has formed into this Skill.

Military Tactics (B)
    Tactical knowledge used not for one-on-one combat situations, but for battles where many are mobilized. Bonus modifiers are provided during use of one's own Anti-Army Noble Phantasm or when dealing against an enemy Anti-Army Noble Phantasm. Rider spent much of his life having to mobilise soldiers against both pirates raiding the South coast and Mongols trying to invade from the North.

Noble Phantasm:
    Hell Gate: Dance Among the Flames (A) [Anti-Army]
    Rider summons a smaller version (no longer than 800 metres) of the "Border Barrier" that would be later known as the Great Wall of China, that rises out of the ground. Terracotta replicas of Rider's faithful troops stand ready along the Wall with their flaming arrows and cannons at the ready. Upon his command, the mechanical troops start firing while Rider himself mounts his trusty horse and charges at the enemy as well, sword in hand. A true hellish scene as both combatants fight while trying to avoid the fire and metal that is falling around them. This NP requires considerable energy to preform and so Rider can only use it once per day or as a true last resort in a suicidal dash.

Lore:
    Born into a long line of soldiers, Qi Jiguang became a commander of his local Garrison at just 17. By 22 he headed off to Beijing to take part in the Imperial Exam when Mongol troops lead by Altan Khan invaded the capital. Seeing his chance to impress, Jiguang took part in defence and helped see the defeat of the invaders. Three years later he was promoted to "Assistant Regional Military Commissioner" and sent to deal with the Wokou Pirates that raided the South coast. Upon arrival, Jiguang discovered that the "soldiers" he was assigned to were really just farmers and miners who volunteered. Nevertheless, Jiguang set about creating a manual that would teach anybody how to become a soldier, and so his book "Jixiao Xinshu" (New Treatise on Military Efficiency) was created. By the time he returned to Beijing 15 years later, Jiguang was now in command of an army of 10,000 elite soldiers and defeated the pirates time after time. He was eventually re-assigned to deal with the Mongol threating to overthrow Beijing. He came up with the idea to rebuild the old Qin Dynasty's Great Wall with brick and mortar and construct hollow watchtowers along it, allowing soldiers interior space to live, store food and water, stockpile weapons, and take shelter from Mongol arrows. The plan was successful and the Mongol threat had dramatically decreased, however this new peace meant that Jiguang's enemies in the Imperial Court were able to challenge his position due to the huge cost of the Wall and were able to slowly get rid of any political allies. Eventually they were able to convince the new Emperor that Jiguang had grown too powerful and posed a threat of a potential coup d'état and so the Emperor forcibly relieved Jiguang of his post and retired him to an idle post in the far south of China. Nevertheless, he was still remembered as a brilliant general and his books on strategy were invaluable to the military leaders that succeeded him.

Phew, this might just be the most extensive sheet I've ever written, but I'm definitely proud of it. It all started when I was looking to make another Martial Arts Servant, and I stumbled across Qi Jiguang who used martial arts to discipline regular labourers into soldiers. I was fascinated by the tale of a young soldier who became one of China's greatest Generals and so I watched an almost two hour long documentary on him to learn more. I suppose he could have also been a Saber class Servant, but in said documentary he was always riding a horse into battle so that concept got stuck in my head. I considered many things when thinking about what his NP would be, such as his battles against pirates on the coast...but in the end it could only be his contributions to rebuilding the old Great Wall into a mighty force capable of holding the line against the Mongols. My biggest worry as I was creating this sheet was the obvious parallels to Iskander, and that's why I decided against having Jiguang's actual troops appear in his NP and instead had the throwaway reference to the Terracotta Army coming to life like in that one Mummy movie. Also shout-out to Kingdom which is where I pulled the picture from. :P
    Feel free to comment as usual...
    Last edited by Skull; April 26th, 2017 at 02:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    For some strange reason I thought Rider's Noble Phantasm summoned Cavalry on the wall rather than regular troops
    Apart from my brute stupidity it's a really cool servant, Rider's are always one of the more interesting classes because of the sheer range of people it can be classed as

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sherlock1110 View Post
    For some strange reason I thought Rider's Noble Phantasm summoned Cavalry on the wall rather than regular troops
    Apart from my brute stupidity it's a really cool servant, Rider's are always one of the more interesting classes because of the sheer range of people it can be classed as
    I'd imagine it would be pretty difficult getting horses up and down those steps each time. :P

But yeah, Riders and Archers are pretty broad categories and are always fun to write for.

Blog Entries
    To be honest, I'm not sure Jiguang really needs EOTM as well as Military Tactics. Since it sounds like his insight is mainly applied in group battles anyway, the two could easily be lumped together IMO.

Also, he should have Magic Resistance since it's a Class Skill of Riders, even if only at a low rank.

Blog Entries
    Ah, I completely forgot about that rule. Whoopsie.

Adding in Magic Resistance now.

Feel kind of tempted to try and do a Theseus Alter sheet sometime (guy had an intensely conflicted reputation as king, and was just about unanimously despised for the entire latter half of his legend) but I can't really think up any interesting ideas for him NP-wise. Any possibilities/suggestions?
    Wow, this sounds like a super cool idea, but I can't think of anything much. Theseus was a pretty massive dick while he was King, but that part also had a lot less mystical stuff in it (iirc, it's been ages since I read the myth). Also, according to Wikipedia there are quite a few variations on the myth (that part especially). Here's what I've got, though:

The Black Sails were from the very end of the heroish part, you could probably sneak them in again for Alter
    Something to do with his relationship with Hippolyta (potentially even borrowing from her own myths for content, or something)
    Something from his adventure into the underworld with his friend concerning Persephone
    His son is like the most drama-filled part, so presumably something about the death of his son.

Blog Entries
    Pirithous was just thirsty and Theseus was being a good wingman.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The Cretan Bull, summoned forth as a Minion. The Black Sails - allows him to fake his own death/obscures his whole stat sheet like the Shadow Lantern Skill. Cheap discount Goddess of War representing his short lived kidnap of Hipployta.

I won't say too many as i've a few ideas I want to keep for myself if I want to do a sheet one day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ail Don View Post
    Like Merlin and Uther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ail Don View Post
    Didn't Pirithous help him out first though? It has been an actual eternity since I read this, and the 2 second Wikipedia search I did while writing my post wasn't really about that.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Didn't Pirithous help him out first though? It has been an actual eternity since I read this, and the 2 second Wikipedia search I did while writing my post wasn't really about that.
    Technically they were both awful enablers for each others bad habits, like the kind of friends that had a great time together but brought out the worst in each other.

At least that's my perspective on it.

Blog Entries
    To Theseus' credit, he did try and convince Pirithous after wanting that sweet Persephone booty.
    But then he gave up and was all "whatever dude let's do it"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The Cretan Bull, summoned forth as a Minion. The Black Sails - allows him to fake his own death/obscures his whole stat sheet like the Shadow Lantern Skill. Cheap discount Goddess of War representing his short lived kidnap of Hipployta.
    One idea I can think of for the Black Sails is some kind of dark mist that engulfs his body, obscuring his stats like you said and also imposing a 'despair' status ailment on everyone around him (reflecting how Theseus' father killed himself when he saw the sails and believed his son had died).

But that's pretty much just a discount For Someone's Glory, so I'd have to think of some way to set it apart. (Maybe including the actual sail and attached mast, repurposed as a spear of some kind?)

In any case, the ideas I've gotten are certainly interesting (I'll have to look more into the lore surrounding Hippolyta and his son in particular) so I'll definitely keep them in mind should I ever get around to writing up the sheet. For now though I'm working on a different one, in fact a remake to one of my earliest sheets from when I'd first gotten an account here. Cookies to anyone managing to guess who it is!

For now though I'm working on a different one, in fact a remake to one of my earliest sheets from when I'd first gotten an account here. Cookies to anyone managing to guess who it is!
    Well, the Library of Alexandria was your first Caster and it's listed as a favorite, but you don't talk about it that much (relative to for example Quixote), so I wouldn't say it'd be my number 1 guess.

Squanto. I remember you saying that was a favorite when we were guessing about Quixote. I'll go with that.

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For now though I'm working on a different one, in fact a remake to one of my earliest sheets from when I'd first gotten an account here. Cookies to anyone managing to guess who it is!
    ...I'm guessing Christopher Columbus. While it was one of your best, it seems lacking when comparing to your recent bests.

Blog Entries
    Those are some good guesses but actually it's not any of the above. Though Squanto is somebody I've seriously considered doing a remake (or even an alternate version of) in the past, and Columbus could maybe use some tinkering to raise him up to my current standards. Mainly in terms of Skills though, since his NPs are already plenty well-described.

Also, you guys are all kind of jumping the gun a little. I never said the Servant being revised was a "favorite" per-se...

I'll take one more guess, then. What about Adam? It would fit with your recent trend of Biblical sheets from that period what with the three Cains, Abel, and Seth.

Then again, maybe you're looking for a bit of a break from all that, in which case I'll just have to wait and see what you come up with.

But yeah Adam is my last guess.

Blog Entries
    I'll take one more guess, then. What about Adam? It would fit with your recent trend of Biblical sheets from that period what with the three Cains, Abel, and Seth.

Then again, maybe you're looking for a bit of a break from all that, in which case I'll just have to wait and see what you come up with.

But yeah Adam is my last guess.
    You're actually quite close in that it is part of a series of Servants belonging to a particular mythology I've done lately, but not that particular one alas.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    You're actually quite close in that it is part of a series of Servants belonging to a particular mythology I've done lately, but not that particular one alas.
    Let's see, out of all the mythos you've done recently here are my candidates:

Norse Mythology
    • Freyja
    • Odin

Christianity:
    • Loginus
    • Samson
    • Methuselah
    • Judah Maccabee