Page 51 of 858 FirstFirst ... 414649505152535661101151551 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 17149

Thread: Create-A-Servant 2

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    People who obsess over the lore of a fictional franchise are...?
    Well-informed
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    In depth Servant sheets are for nerds.
    good post +1

servant sheets should be bare bones like in canon.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    good post +1

servant sheets should be bare bones like in canon.
    Considering exactly how verbose your own Servant sheets have been, I assume I can safely say you're being ironic?

Also, part of the reason the canon sheets can afford to be 'bare bones' is because further details are given in the actual source material (novel/VN/manga/what have you), of which they're meant to stand in supplement to. Whereas sheets posted here have no 'source material' to flesh them out and so all the details need to be already present.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    i don't make servant sheets anymore
    i write cm3 knock-off things
    v different

like how moc doesn't write servant sheets, he writes matricies
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.

Blog Entries
    i don't make servant sheets anymore
    i write cm3 knock-off things
    v different

like how moc doesn't write servant sheets, he writes matricies
    ...Okay. That seems rather a technicality, though.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    More effort. Just build a skeleton, other people can add the flesh if they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    More effort. Just build a skeleton, other people can add the flesh if they want.
    Effort is great. Ganbarimasu!

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    ...Okay. That seems rather a technicality, though.
    It's a very important distinction.
    Like you said.
    Also, part of the reason the canon sheets can afford to be 'bare bones' is because further details are given in the actual source material (novel/VN/manga/what have you), of which they're meant to stand in supplement to. Whereas sheets posted here have no 'source material' to flesh them out and so all the details need to be already present.
    which is very true.
    But that means the intent behind "servant sheets" as well as the information people put in them is limited by a framework that's meant to be bare bones. Basically, structure does not match content. You can load up your sheet with as much as you like, but then it doesn't feel authentic. At the end of the day this is supposed to be a GD thread, authenticity should matter or at least you should make it as authentic as possible, otherwise the thread itself should go in the fanfic forum.

A cm3 framework allows for more information without the cost of making it feels less authentic. Same with a matrix framework, but information is displayed in a different way.
    Even the framework from the statuses of the original SN VN with the history tab allows for more freedom of expression than the Zero/Apo styled skeleton most commonly used.

In conclusion the difference between these frameworks isn't a technicality. It's an entirely different way of approaching a Servant. After all, this is "create-a-servant" not "create-a-servant-sheet."
    Last edited by You; October 2nd, 2016 at 01:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    But that means the intent behind "servant sheets" as well as the information people put in them is limited by a framework that's meant to be bare bones. Basically structure does not match content. You can load up your sheet with as much as you like, but then it doesn't feel authentic. At the end of the day this is supposed to be a GD thread, authenticity should matter or at least you should make it as authentic as possible, otherwise the thread itself should go in the fanfic forum.

A cm3 framework allows for more information without the cost of making it feels less authentic. Same with a matrix framework, but information is projected in a different way.
    Even the framework from the statuses of the original SN VN with the history tab allows for more freedom of expression than the Zero/Apo styled skeleton most commonly used.

In conclusion the difference between these frameworks isn't a technicality. It's a different way of approaching a Servant. After all, this is "create-a-servant" not "create-a-servant-sheet."
    That's fair enough, I suppose. It is true that, when I look at some of the canon TM sheets, they're a lot sparser then the ones I make. In general, mine could probably use to be a bit sparser sometimes (since I usually have trouble conveying any NP in less then like 2-3 paragraphs at least) but it's always a balance of that and preserving the proper details.

Also, I don't intend to base my formatting exactly off Nasu's in any case, but rather what suits my own purposes of Servant-crafting the most. For one thing, I almost never include lore since it's usually a bother but always write up a personality section (with sometimes bits of lore smuggled in), whereas the official sheets do the exact opposite.

It's interesting that we all have different philosophies on these sorts of things.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Say, how believable the Root being Yog-Sothoth is? Was thinking about making a Randolph Carter caster.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    Say, how believable the Root being Yog-Sothoth is? Was thinking about making a Randolph Carter caster.
    I think the Root is a rather different concept altogether. Nasuverse doesn't run off of Lovecraftian cosmology (though there are certainly elements here and there, like with Gilles).

- - - Updated - - -

Don't get me wrong, a Randolph Carter Servant sounds like an interesting idea (though bear in mind I'm not too familiar with Lovecraft) but I think you'd be better off leaving the Root out of it. If you want to draw a direct comparison between Lovecraftian 'Gods' and Nasuverse beings, I'd suggest True Demons which are explicitly described as incomprehensible and pretty much beyond human power. There's even an out-and-out reference to Lovecraft!

Quote Originally Posted by Fate/Extra Material
    The names demons, demonic incarnation are used but they are no different than higher dimensional beings from a different civilization, different planet.
    After all, they've ceased being "people" in our perceived universe.
    Their nature is close to the evil gods of a certain fictional mythology popular in the 20th century.

Blog Entries
    Helena Blavatsky was convinced the Root was aliens talking to her from Lemuria, there's no accounting for crazy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Helena Blavatsky was convinced the Root was aliens talking to her from Lemuria, there's no accounting for crazy.
    That's the difference, though. She believed it, but it wasn't actually explicitly stated to be the truth in any lore materials or anything.

So, you could certainly have Randolph believe the Root is tied with old Yog (maybe, again, not too familiar with Lovecraftian mythos) but I wouldn't take it any farther then that.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    That's fair enough, I suppose. It is true that, when I look at some of the canon TM sheets, they're a lot sparser then the ones I make. In general, mine could probably use to be a bit sparser sometimes (since I usually have trouble conveying any NP in less then like 2-3 paragraphs at least) but it's always a balance of that and preserving the proper details.

Also, I don't intend to base my formatting exactly off Nasu's in any case, but rather what suits my own purposes of Servant-crafting the most. For one thing, I almost never include lore since it's usually a bother but always write up a personality section (with sometimes bits of lore smuggled in), whereas the official sheets do the exact opposite.

It's interesting that we all have different philosophies on these sorts of things.
    for servant sheets it's a catch-22
    the sparser you make your sheet the more authentic it is, but at the same time the Servant becomes less of a character and more of a pile of numbers.
    the more bloated your sheet is, the more of a character the servant is but the less authentic it is. Also it's more annoying to read, not because of the number of words but the intent of the formatting itself clashes.
    after realizing that I quit trying to find a sweet spot and did something else instead.

Blog Entries
    for servant sheets it's a catch-22
    the sparser you make your sheet the more authentic it is, but at the same time the Servant becomes less of a character and more of a pile of numbers.
    the more bloated your sheet is, the more of a character the servant is but the less authentic it is. Also it's more annoying to read, not because of the number of words but the intent of the formatting itself clashes.
    after realizing that I quit trying to find a sweet spot and did something else instead.
    Yeah, it's always a matter of finding a healthy balance. I feel like I've struck the sweet spot in some of my sheets, but it's hit-or-miss.

Blog Entries
    More people should do Prototype sheets. Don't even bother describing or giving ranks for anything.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    That's the difference, though. She believed it, but it wasn't actually explicitly stated to be the truth in any lore materials or anything.

So, you could certainly have Randolph believe the Root is tied with old Yog (maybe, again, not too familiar with Lovecraftian mythos) but I wouldn't take it any farther then that.
    Calling it the Root is also a belief rather than a truth in lore. Giving 「」a name means it has a limit and it has no limit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    More people should do Prototype sheets. Don't even bother describing or giving ranks for anything.
    what software do you use to make spider graphs?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it's always a matter of finding a healthy balance. I feel like I've struck the sweet spot in some of my sheets, but it's hit-or-miss.
    the implication in that argument was there was no sweet spot unless you wrote a fanfic and then wrote up servant sheets for that fanfic and posted them together. but then that should go in the fanfic thread.
    There are only sweeter and bitter-er spots.

Blog Entries
    Calling it the Root is also a belief rather than a truth. Giving 「」a name means it has a limit and it has no limit.
    I know this is sort of digressing from the point, but naming something definitely isn't the same as giving it a 'limit'. You can give a name for 'Infinity' and that doesn't magically make it not infinite anymore. Heck, you can even talk about and compare different kinds and levels of infinity, which are still all 'limitless' in a sense.

Though, I guess it depends whether you mean a 'limit' in a strict Mathematical sense or just a limit in how you apply the concept, as in 'It's this, not that'. Even infinity has 'limits' in that regard (it's not a potato, not an artichoke, not a type of restaurant, et cetera...)

JP Friend Code
    She got captured and put into embarrassing position by aliens. But they released her and gave her true majik after she saved their gacha luck.

Blog Entries
    I know this is sort of digressing from the point, but naming something definitely isn't the same as giving it a 'limit'.
    Please take this non-canon opinion to the fanfic forum, it doesn't belong in GD.