Page 430 of 546 FirstFirst ... 330380420425428429430431432435440480530 ... LastLast
Results 8,581 to 8,600 of 10910

Thread: Fate/Grand Order Mats

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder/..._fgo_material/

Scathach-Skadi's Mats 7 Profile translation by BananaShiki on reddit

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    She displays many of the traits of the goddess Skadi, who shares her origin with the celt hero Scathach.

Rather than 'a Scathach who is very much like Skadi', it'd be more accurate to call her 'a Skadi who possesses some of Scathach's traits'.

The Scathach and Skadi presented in the game aren't completely equal, and it could be interpreted like the two influenced each other and melded together. The fact the Lancer Scathach possesses Odin's primordial runes, could be due to this melding.
    Okay, but...

Usually, Scathach-Skadi is a being who only exists in the lostbelts. If a similar being were to exist in panhuman history, it would likely be an avatar of Skadi as a full goddess.
    They were never melded in Proper Human History, so how could their relationship in the Lostbelt possibly be the reason for Lancer Scat having Norse Runes. What is the "origin" they share? Unless it's really just a SMT reference.

She possesses very few aspects of the Scathach from Celt myth, including having almost no knowledge about the Land of Shadows, but still possesses a Noble Phantasm belonging to it. Skadi doesn't seem to find this strange.
    Pseudo-Servants in all forms continue to be terrible.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    What is the "origin" they share? Unless it's really just a SMT reference.
    In 1983, Barbara Walker published The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets, in where she established the syncretism between the Celt Scathach and the Norse Skadi. Later on, many experts analysed her publishment and concluded that her sources for that (and for a lot of other claims) was her own head. One of the crazier examples from her book is establishing the syncretism between the Hindu Kali, the Scottish Cailleach and the Greek Persefone.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Diarmuid's problem isn't that he's a one-note "MUH HONOR MUH LOYALTY MUH KING" character. Gawain's arc in Extra was exactly like that. His problem is that he's never been put in a narrative where those things actually play out as part of the story, he's never had to "walk the walk", so to speak. In Zero he was just sacrificial fodder, in GO his every appearance so far was either as a foil to Fionn or a straight up joke. What he needs is a story where his loyalty and honor are actually put in question so he gets to actually react to something in a less-than-chivalrous way, the way he did in his dying scene in Zero. (Though imo people also sleep on how big a move it was for him to literally break his own weapon in half to save the city, passing if off as more Artoria fellating).

- - - Updated - - -

As an aside, I'd pay good money to see him get into a trashtalking match with Cu. I don't care how humble and polite you are, when you're Irish, you're fucking Irish.
    Last edited by Deathhappens; January 12th, 2020 at 08:36 AM.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Quote Originally Posted by AAM1232 View Post
    ******************#F!PrYETAjZ!18bDp1Mb8HZG_hDEKgvHPw

Full scans of Mats VII on MEGA. For people who care.

EDIT: Not including the CF segments.
    ****************************file/ltfrdr...28Small%29.zip
    1.46 GB

It could be smaller, but it's more manageable than 10 GB.
    As of this posting, MediaFire is still verifying the file. Should be done in a bit.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    In 1983, Barbara Walker published The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets, in where she established the syncretism between the Celt Scathach and the Norse Skadi. Later on, many experts analysed her publishment and concluded that her sources for that (and for a lot of other claims) was her own head. One of the crazier examples from her book is establishing the syncretism between the Hindu Kali, the Scottish Cailleach and the Greek Persefone.
    I heard about that before but I doubt TM was inspired by this single discredited author instead of the popular game series y'know. Unless that's really notorious in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    (Though imo people also sleep on how big a move it was for him to literally break his own weapon in half to save the city, passing if off as more Artoria fellating).
    What do you mean sleep on? I mean, he's a good person so he did it. Doesn't really change anything about what makes him boring and is something I'd expect from the majority of Heroic Spirits.

I heard about that before but I doubt TM was inspired by this single discredited author instead of the popular game series y'know. Unless that's really notorious in Japan.

What do you mean sleep on? I mean, he's a good person so he did it. Doesn't really change anything about what makes him boring and is something I'd expect from the majority of Heroic Spirits.
    It's a hell of a big decision, much bigger than you make it seem. Good person or not, this is equivalent to Artoria willingly smashing Excalibur on a rock. Noble Phantasms are more than just weapons, they're the crystallisations of a Heroic Spirit's legend, don't downplay it just because he happens to have two of them.

ED: Ok, Excalibur is kind of an unfortunate example since it doesn't technically belong to Artoria and she's just its wielder, but replace that with Caliburn (Golden Sword of Victory, weapon she wielded in all her early quests, the Sword of Selection that made her King) and you get the idea.

- - - Updated - - -

So he's not just "a good person"; he's THIS MUCH of a good person.
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's a hell of a big decision, much bigger than you make it seem. Good person or not, this is equivalent to Artoria willingly smashing Excalibur on a rock. Noble Phantasms are more than just weapons, they're the crystallisations of a Heroic Spirit's legend, don't downplay it just because he happens to have two of them.

ED: Ok, Excalibur is kind of an unfortunate example since it doesn't technically belong to Artoria and she's just its wielder, but replace that with Caliburn (Golden Sword of Victory, weapon she wielded in all her early quests, the Sword of Selection that made her King) and you get the idea.
    I'm not downplaying it. I do appreciate how big that is, I just don't think it does anything for his character in Fate/Zero.
    Yeah, the guy entirely centered around honor did the right thing to save a city, cool, but Diarmuid needed something to contrast with his earnest knightly personality, not reinforce it once again. Like that scene in which everything he believes in is betrayed and he dies cursing each and everyone of those involved... Maybe they could do something with that now that he has a new chance in a new entry to the series? Nope! Erased! Back to honorknightman.

- - - Updated - - -

So he's not just "a good person"; he's THIS MUCH of a good person.
    I still think MOST Heroic Spirits are that much of a good person so that doesn't make him stand out much either.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    I think Saber Diarmuid still has a chance to develop as a character due to some extra-dimensional shenanigans related to him from his interlude. I liked his portrayal in F/Z, how he was this honorable guy who (combined with his ikemen-ness) appealed to a good amount of people, and then his breakdown was one of the best moments in that story IMO. So him being the same kind of guy as his Saber self doesn't bother me too much.

However, I can't say I like the handling of his character so far. A connection with Artoria that's borderline obsession, all because of a past connection. And if writers really do want to tie it to that connection, disregard the anger he had during the moment of his death as a Lancer. It's like he's summoned as a new Diarmuid, yet is still somewhat considered to be the same Diarmuid? It gets kinda confusing honestly.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    That spear breaking scene easily could have a lot more weight if Diarmuid tried to give more attention to Kayneth's opinion before making the decision.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    True.

JP Friend Code
    Oh so the Ifrit mobs we've been fighting here and there is based on Surtr. Interesting implication.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Skadi in the game is unmarried
    [...]
    By the way, she may have been called the bride of the gods, but in the midst of all the fighting over her, nobody managed to actually marry her and then Ragnarok came and they all died protecting her.
    Excuse me while I roll my eyes disgustedly

- - - Updated - - -

Diarmuid's problem isn't that he's a one-note "MUH HONOR MUH LOYALTY MUH KING" character. Gawain's arc in Extra was exactly like that,
    Gawain has other personalty traits, though. Cheerful pervert and adoring big brother. Deermud has nada.

As an aside, I'd pay good money to see him get into a trashtalking match with Cu. I don't care how humble and polite you are, when you're Irish, you're fucking Irish.
    He just thinks Cu is the coolest thing ever in Unlimited Codes and practically has an orgasm at the thought of getting to spar against him IIRC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    Gawain has other personalty traits, though. Cheerful pervert and adoring big brother. Deermud has nada.
    And a general lack of understanding of what a meal is.

It's kinda funny that Diarmuid manages to have less personality than the guy basically swore off having opinions after how his legend ended.

To be fair to Diarmuid, he has being generally uncomfortable with women, but that's not an improvement in the slightest to me.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Every knight has it better than Diarmuid.
    Even "I'm Sad" aka The Child of Tragedy aka Tristan aka the Knight of Sadness has more going on and he's the king of one-note personality.

Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    Excuse me while I roll my eyes disgustedly

- - - Updated - - -

He just thinks Cu is the coolest thing ever in Unlimited Codes and practically has an orgasm at the thought of getting to spar against him IIRC
    Wait, Diarmuid made it to Unlimited Codes? Wut.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Is there any reason it can't be both? Walker's work was moderately popular in New Age stuff for a while. Also, if you're researching Scathach then you'll eventually run into this because the mythical well is really shallow. It's also been quoted in later books as well by similar New Age Feminism authors - The Triple Goddess shows up high on the Google Books searches, IIRC. (They also source it to Robert Greaves' The White Goddess, but I'm having trouble finding anything on Scathach in it.)

It's been a while since I last looked into this, but IIRC the biggest argument for Walker's book being the inspiration is that it also has a bunch of stuff on how Scathach is a death goddess and "the graveyard of gods" or something along those lines, which makes me think of FGO's weird "Scathach rules the land of the dead and is a god-slayer" thing.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Oh no, Swimsuit Skadi incoming.

Medb will never escape from her characterization black hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

I mean, Medb's been given PLENTY of screentime to expand her character. There's nothing to escape to anymore.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neveron View Post
    Is there any reason it can't be both? Walker's work was moderately popular in New Age stuff for a while. Also, if you're researching Scathach then you'll eventually run into this because the mythical well is really shallow. It's also been quoted in later books as well by similar New Age Feminism authors - The Triple Goddess shows up high on the Google Books searches, IIRC. (They also source it to Robert Greaves' The White Goddess, but I'm having trouble finding anything on Scathach in it.)

It's been a while since I last looked into this, but IIRC the biggest argument for Walker's book being the inspiration is that it also has a bunch of stuff on how Scathach is a death goddess and "the graveyard of gods" or something along those lines, which makes me think of FGO's weird "Scathach rules the land of the dead and is a god-slayer" thing.
    I guess I'm just underestimating the popularity and importance of that book then.