Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Otogibanashi - A Nasuverse Demon Hunter RP (OOC)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Otogibanashi - A Nasuverse Demon Hunter RP (OOC)

There exists another face to this world.

Gods walked the earth, once upon a time. They came from the Far Shore. They walked beside spirits, beside beasts, beside creatures of legend. The Earth lived and breathed. Humans, the children of the Earth that had began to stray, saw this world and feared it. They lived under the threat of monsters, in awe of the gods. They took up their blades, they offered their prayers. Fear. Awe. Reverence. Worship. The world was strange and frightening, and they lived at its mercy.

Yet where there are monsters, there are hunters.

Those who resisted. Humanity had already strayed from their natural path, and some diverged further beyond. To protect humanity, they became something inhuman. They honed their mutations, they banded together to fight the demons. In the name of humanity, they strayed into the Far Shore.

The world of Man and the world of the Gods. The Near Shore and Far Shore. These worlds, once face to face, came to turn away.

The Edo Period. After centuries of civil war, the warlords of the land were finally reunited under one banner, and the Sengoku era had come to an end. The nation finally saw an end to their strife, and embraced an era of peace. Humanity grew, and advanced. Modernity. Mass culture. Humanism and rationalism. The ways of old had changed.

The gods that walked to earth faded to memories on an altar. The great monsters that roamed the lands diminished into folk tales and legend. The demons that humanity fought disappeared, hiding into the remote reaches of the world.

The Far Shore had faded. Their power had gone, their inhabitants disappeared.

Their world reduced to a fairy tale.

The Premise
    This is a Nasuverse RP, based on the Demon Hunter Organization and the Demon Halfbloods, set in Edo-era Japan; essentially, a historical urban fantasy setting, if that's a thing. In short, this game will be based off of the clash of the modernizing human world with the remnants of the old spiritual one, as mystery begins to disappear from the world, and the efforts of the hunters and halfbloods to adjust. The game itself takes place in Edo, Japan, once a humble fishing village, but now the de facto capital of the Shogunate, and a bustling urban center and metropolis.

So, for example, yakuza gang wars with halfbloods mixed into their ranks, investigating apparitions haunting sacred grounds, encounters with the remnants of the old world, mundanes accidentally straying into the Far Shore, and so on. PvE with maybe some PvP. As for what the combat's like, don't expect to, like, musouing your way through hordes of demons and then facing off against a dragon or something, or huge anime battles where each blow blows off the top of a mountain or burns down an entire forest, or something. Conflict in this game is, while not unabundant, more low-key. As for overarching plot or direction, that of course depends on the characters you make.

Most of the information, like character creation, sheet templates, Nasu babble (not really), how magic works, and additional setting information can be found in the rulebook, here. Thanks to Leftovers for helping with a shitton of ideas, Reiu for helping fix my shitty Japanese, and KT and Sat for some balancing.

Application
    See the rulebook for character creation. There's a sheet template there, too. Once you're done, PM it over, either on BL or IRC or Discord or whatever. DO NOT PM ME ON SKYPE, I AM NEVER ON THERE AND WILL NOT SEE IT. You can also consult me on said places if you want help or inspiration for making your sheet, or want to check for accuracy.

Useful links for research:
    Samurai history archives: http://www.samurai-archives.com/
    Japanese-English Dictionary (with names): http://jisho.org/
    Yokai Encyclopedia: http://yokai.com/
    Encyclopedia of Shinto: http://k-amc.kokugakuin.ac.jp/DM/dbT...s_name=col_eos

As for the roster, I will probably accept six players. Three hunters, and three hybrids.

You are allowed to submit multiple sheets. Actually, that would be easier on me and I encourage you to do so if you want to, so I have more choice in distribution and variety. Just don't, like, send in ten sheets or some shit.

I would not like to go over this limit, unless I find myself capable of handling more players. Even so, even if you do not make it in the first time, you can still have a chance to get in later, like if I expand the roster or if another player drops. Anyway, sheets will be judged on merit (interesting characters, powersets, and not being too powergamey) and variety, except for Leftovers who probably gets in automatically (if he sends something in) because he's helped me a ton with all this.

Slots

Halfbloods:

1. Verg Avesta as Ryuuan Kamei
    2. Katie as Kurogane Kanae
    3. Ayakashi as Kuze Yuzuha

Hunters:

1. You as Fujou Ran
    2. Reiu as Asakami Shiori
    3. Mormarth as Kimura Amana

Sheets Received
    Arkturus
    Ayakashi
    Frantic Author
    Janx
    Katie
    Mormarth
    Palad1n
    Reiu
    Tangerang
    Verg Avesta
    You

Deadline will be in two weeks from now, so 9/27. Extensions may be given if you need it, it's not super strict.

Q&A

Q: Does the free weapon at creation include Blessed Weapons?
    A: No, it only includes mundane weapons, equivalent to 1 PP.

Q: Can I play a foreigner?
    A: That depends. Read the Isolationism section in the world info part of the rulebook to see why foreigners would be difficult to justify. Even the most famous Western Samurai were mostly around during the beginning or the end of the Edo-era, where policies towards foreigners were laxer.

Q: How does talent point allocation work, again?
    A: Apologies, because it was kind of inconsistent in the rulebook. As of the current version, the "points required" number is based off of how many points it takes to reach the next level. So rather than levels 1 and 2 needing only one point, essentially a talent needs 1 point total for level 1, 2 total for 2, 4 total for 3, 6 total for 4, and 9 total for 5.

Q: How does stat allocation work? Are there no in-betweens, or no?
    A: The ranks are relative and not absolute. Basically, even if rank D is 20 and rank C is 40, you can still take 25, 30, or 35 points in a stat.

Q: For the Ryougi initial 5 points, are those doubled too, or are those 5 points shared between both personalities?
    A: Those can go into talents that can be shared between personalities. Though those 5 points can also be allocated to one personality or another. Basically, you'd probably have three pools of talents:
    • One shared pool, in which you can spend your initial 5 points.
    • One for your first personality, in which you can spend your TP from INT, or your first 5 points
    • One for your second personality, in which you can spend the extra TP gained from INT from your Dual Persona or your first 5 points.

TP allocated into your separate personalities cannot be shared.

Q: I wanna make a sheet but I'm not sure if I want to play.
    A: If you don't plan on playing but want to make a sheet anyway, I will also accept sheets for NPCs.

Also, the title CG is (obviously) not mine, and the artist's works can be found here.
    Last edited by Kirby; September 29th, 2016 at 04:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Didn't think this would show up so soon time to get thinking.

Blog Entries
    h y p e

Blog Entries

fuckin in there m8

Omg I need to find yet another kitsune fc.

Welp, I'm interested now.
    Regalia Hijinks

<Erlkonig|Phone> Why get a gf, when Airen is your waifu?

<Airen|Phone> I'll save everyone, it's fine

<Snaxies> Airen is totally Jesus again

<frantic> I actually hate reading your post because you're so fucking anime

<Reiu> Regalia is a scary place desu...

<Mellon> He who lives by the oneshot, dies by the oneshot

Personal Compliments

<@RacingeR> Pally would be a perfect shoujo lead

<Erlkonig> I would fall for Pally if he was a qt shoujo manga lead girl

Quote Originally Posted by Airen
    Only pala is pure, the rest of ya are twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetose
    I'm not sure if it's like this generally, but Pala seems to be very good at making naive and innocent, but also strangely bulliable characters.

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar
    I wish I could join, but gambatte friends.

Here is what my FC would've been:
    Large Pic

All my current fc idea look so crude in comparison ;_;

looks super cool
    <Airen> I play hetero every once in awhile
    Spoiler:
    <~Katie> dude who gives a fuck about girls being gay, sometimes girls aren't gay and that decision should be respected

Spoiler:
    [12:21.40] that might be a top tier post[12:21.45] frantic[12:21.47] post of the month, even[12:21.48] this right here[12:21.49] is MC [12:21.56] johnny has nothing on this dude[12:22.00] he's the MC of the nisio half[12:22.12] so wait[12:22.15] [ ] is, after all, my rival character[12:22.16] am i the gag heroine[12:22.20] yes

Alright, first question: What exactly does Asakami's Guardian Blood do? Particularly, what does demon inversion mean?
    Regalia Hijinks

<Erlkonig|Phone> Why get a gf, when Airen is your waifu?

<Airen|Phone> I'll save everyone, it's fine

<Snaxies> Airen is totally Jesus again

<frantic> I actually hate reading your post because you're so fucking anime

<Reiu> Regalia is a scary place desu...

<Mellon> He who lives by the oneshot, dies by the oneshot

Personal Compliments

<@RacingeR> Pally would be a perfect shoujo lead

<Erlkonig> I would fall for Pally if he was a qt shoujo manga lead girl

Quote Originally Posted by Airen
    Only pala is pure, the rest of ya are twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetose
    I'm not sure if it's like this generally, but Pala seems to be very good at making naive and innocent, but also strangely bulliable characters.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Inversion was a term that basically meant, for the purposes of this RP, activating one's demonic blood and inverting one's nature. But the trait was concieved early in writing when I hadn't decided on a set terminology for everything, so that's just a holdover.

Guardian's Blood allows Asakami to activate their demonic blood for a boost in physical stats, like a miniature, controlled blood heat that doesn't incur any cost in Humanity. The drawback being that when it's active, Mystic Eyes can't be used.

So essentially, Asakami Hunters pretty much have two "modes", one where they receive boosted physical stats (STR, CON, AGI basically), and one where they can use their Mystic Eyes. And in combat, their playstyle revolves around switching between the two modes to fit the situation.

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll make a great sheet.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I won't.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The rulebook has been updated. In response to the sentiment that Hunters were underpowered, each lineage was given a free Talent exclusive to that bloodline, starting at level 3, Secret Arts. This is given for free at creation, and additional points may be allocated to level them up further.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    One week has passed. As promised, sheet statistics. Included in some of this are some incomplete sheets, that I’ve only seen bits and pieces of, but anyway.

First off, of all the pitched characters, only maybe one or two of them are male, the rest being female.

Halfbloods are more popular than Hunters, with pretty much every completed sheet I’ve seen so far being a halfblood, though I do know some hunter sheets are in the works. Of the halfbloods, henge and oni seem to be the most popular, with the least popular being tengu or yuurei.

For the Hunters, on the other hand, it’s hard to gauge them as I don’t have any complete sheets for them yet, but people express the most interest in Asakami or Nanaya, with maybe some Fujou, and the least popular being the Ryougi.

It’s too soon to really judge build-wise, but spellcasters are less popular than expected. Combining one’s Innate powers with weapon or martial skills seems to be the most popular route, so far, though it’s probably to be expected seeing as how that can be done in quite a few different ways.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Caster's Avatar
    I feel like a very oddball when so far my plan seems to be bucking every one of the established trends. But interesting. Not too surprised it's panning out like that though. Still really curious to see what the end result winds up being.

So begins the war of the fluffy tail.

It must be touched.
    <Airen> I play hetero every once in awhile
    Spoiler:
    <~Katie> dude who gives a fuck about girls being gay, sometimes girls aren't gay and that decision should be respected

Spoiler:
    [12:21.40] that might be a top tier post[12:21.45] frantic[12:21.47] post of the month, even[12:21.48] this right here[12:21.49] is MC [12:21.56] johnny has nothing on this dude[12:22.00] he's the MC of the nisio half[12:22.12] so wait[12:22.15] [ ] is, after all, my rival character[12:22.16] am i the gag heroine[12:22.20] yes

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar
    *insert heavy panting*